ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (BC game)...

I sure hope the staff gave you velcro shoes. I'd hate to think of the hours you'd spend trying to tie actual laces.

Anyways, one of the best players on our team has been struggling. Real fans want to see him play better. Real fans want all the players to succeed. Well Caleb had a great 2nd half of this game. I expect the real fans to celebrate seeing him show signs of improvement, the same way we celebrated "2nd half Paige." Caleb turning the corner is important for my team. I won't say our team, because you don't support this team. You just trash the players in your normal low IQ fashion. Luckily for the real Tar Heels, this board has an ignore feature so no one has to read your ignorance ever again.
Dude just stop with this real fans crap. You have no idea what anyone's fan level is.

It is beyond me how you would judge someone as not a fan or a bad fan because you don't agree with them!

Why was there almost no Trimble last night? Surely he's seemed to earn at least 10 minutes in the rotation, especially when guys need a rest, and we need a defensive lockdown stopper. Way better option than Nickel.
No offense but he hasn't exactly been too great. It sorta is like the preseason scrimmage. He had high intensity defense, but still ended up getting showed up by RJ. It seems pretty much the same in games. He doesn't have much offensive threat and he can speed up his opponent and force mistakes, but if they are good with handles, he ends up getting finished over anyways.

He has benefits, but he needs to develop offensively to really be a cog.

Excellent post, 75. Most of us miss the DES era and style of play and you explained why it
has morphed into what it is this era: less team-oriented play, more waste-of-time guard dribbling,
more selfish shot-taking. Unfortunately, it is today’s style of play; the caliber of players
we recruit exemplify their roots and sometimes don’t adjust as quickly as they should to our program.
I am confident that once we have cleared the program of certain player types and have a true PG on the team, all will be able to see marked improvement in the flow of our offense. I believe that it’s fruitless to hope that this team will ever play Carolina BB.
And apologies for the double-up....

Our issues on offense are pretty simple and it might be singular. Our highest usage player is Caleb Love, who happens to be one of the least efficient guards in the country. That's your issue. Your other issue is, you probably need Caleb Love to be a high usage player if you want any chance to do anything significant in March.

This team is stuck offensively. "They're stuck with Love" shall we say?
Fair assessment re: Caleb. As to whether or not efficiency stats indicate that we are actually as good as Roy's last 3 years compared to Hubert's to date, is cherry
picking. As I have said before, there are lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.
I know that's all we have to base our opinions on, and we tend to disregard lack of talent, BB IQ, and what our eyes tell us. Your pointing out certain player types is the most salient point of all that you posted. That, and once they have moved on and we have a real honest to goodness PG it will unmask all the issues that has been affecting those teams for both Roy & Hubert the last 3 years.

Last edited:
This team, for all of its talent, still goes through stretches of games where they just look disjointed. Sometimes individuals try to take over at the expense of the team and the ball just doesn't move for the best shot. This goes back to coaching. Especially with a mostly veteran team full of very high level recruits.I still have my doubts about Hubert as a head coach. But it appears he can recruit, so maybe that is enough.

FLUSH this game because it deserves to be swimming with the sewage...

Thank goodness for Bacot and RJ, they seemed about the only 2 that came to play and it took RJ a while to get there. People talking about Caleb had a good game, I have no idea what they watched at the half he was 1-7 over all, 0-4 from 3 and 1 TO, that was his entire stat line, ended the first half missing the front end of a 1&1? He hit a trey rather early second half and then went in to a holding pattern until late game before he got some scoring. Frankly, he hurt us in that first half and Leaky shooting as many jumpers didn't help either.

We should have won this game by well over 20, we had them nearly on the ropes on several occasions but a heat check here, a forced drive TO there and we let them back in every time. For all you that wonder what Carolina Basketball is, last night wasn't it! Hubert is a heck of a recruiter but as a game coach, I am beginning to wonder because so much of this is not making any sense. Bottom line, Caleb needs to sit, he does not need to be a starter, he does not deserve to be a starter based on how he has played. Nance hits 2 treys before anyone broke a sweat in that game and ends up for the night with the same 6pts along with 5 rebounds and 3 TOs. Bacot took 11 shots, hit 8 of them, Caleb takes 18 shots and it took a late surge of points for him to end up hitting 7 of them. Why does our most efficient player only get 11 shots up while our most inefficient player puts up 18? Hubert, man, you just have to put a stop to that, you just do, that is all, period, the end as you like to say.

This team, for all of its talent, still goes through stretches of games where they just look disjointed. Sometimes individuals try to take over at the expense of the team and the ball just doesn't move for the best shot. This goes back to coaching. Especially with a mostly veteran team full of very high level recruits.I still have my doubts about Hubert as a head coach. But it appears he can recruit, so maybe that is enough.
The vast majority of college basketball coaches aren't good game coaches. In most instances, your coach is a scheme and not necessarily a schemer.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
waiting on Dave to chime in and call half of
you guys not real fans because you aren’t spewing roses and rainbows.

There has been a lot of discussion about what constitutes "Carolina Basketball"

Any coach or team that doesn't buy into playing "hard, smart & together"
are not going to be successful . Several posters alluded to this in their posts. Every team has to play hard, smart & together and it's not, as some believe, our birthright in defining what Carolina Basketball is about.

What is the definition of "Carolina Basketball"?

To understand this, you have to know it's birthplace and its architect, DES.
The initial fast break offense was designed and implemented in 1967. Secondary
break came the next year 1968 with 20,22,24 offenses w/ 20 being dismissed later. The 42, & 44 variations on defense came in 1970. Over the subsequent years, Coach Smith made tweaks on both sides of the ball and, of course nomenclature changed, and I never had an inclination to keep up with-it but enjoyed watching it though.

The key to offensive success was the speed in which the players got down the court with forwards running sideline to opposite corners, and the Center up the middle and PG working on an off guard dragging a screen, if needed. Once at the top of the key the PG was to see where the weak point of the defense was and attack that position with a dribble drive and then either take a shot, if open, or pass left or right to the forwards, if open, and if not, the ball goes to the 2G to re-set or take a shot, if open once you get a collapse by the defense which happened quite frequently.

What we have been watching is not Carolina Basketball, but a poor variation of it. When this team can inbound the ball and get it in their basket 94 feet away without the ball ever touching the court, that's Carolina Basketball guys. It's like poetry in motion or watching a ballet when that happens. Knowing Coach, he would flip over in his grave most likely if he had to watch us weave in and out and burn up time and energy dribbling without a purpose. I understand that the game has evolved over the years and with today's athletes it seems that they are not as interested in winning as they are in showing out.

Take, for instance, acknowledging your teammate's pass that got you a score. That was a staple in DES's offense, and if you did not thank your teammate by pointing him out to the fans and TV watchers, you got pulled and had a seat on the bench with the others for a while. Huddling at the F/T line and making sure everyone had time & score and knew what defense we would be in. I miss those and other things that have disappeared from our Carolina Basketball.

I miss my era.
Amen. Coach Smith was so far ahead of his time and a lot of the basketball world is oblivious to all what he innovated for the game. The staples that is Carolina Basketball, the analytics, defenses, team play, unity and the passion is sorely missed by me. I have gone on record several times and said that our men’s team needs to watch our Women’s Team. They play with that Carolina passion. They point to the passer, they run to the bench during timeouts, when they huddle at the free throw line they are engaged, focused and United as one in that huddle. They play with that Tar Heel passion and flair. I really, really miss that

The one word that comes to mind in describing last night's game......

Uninspired.

8 assists on 26 made FG's is less than 30%, Not good and alarming to me.

Bacot with only 11 attempts? - when you don't get the rock to your best scorer on the regular, it results in games like we saw. RJ & Caleb took 31 shots between them which was just over half of the total shots taken in this game. As a result, it was our 3-point production that made the difference as BC shot the ball better than we did, but made no threes. Both teams made 26 FG's. The offense we displayed will get us beat going forth, as the competition gets a lot stronger.

Lest I forget...Our interior defense was terrible in this game allowing free lanes and drives to the basket with just token resistance. BC missed a handful of shots right at the basket that could have put real pressure on us given how they were able to get it down to a 1-point deficit. All season long, we have failed to hold or build on leads that we have had, and it's cost us wins.

It appears that RJ's dislocated finger on his shooting hand has healed. He is warming up on offense, but, as Gary mentioned there is too much dribbling with no movement by the rest of the players and this makes for a stagnant offense as we all witnessed. Caleb was Caleb last night. It's either "hate to love him" or "love to hate him" where his play is concerned. I dunno, he is an enigma for sure.

On Saturday we better play much better on both ends of the court or the wolfpack will steal the guy's brownies, as was Roy would say in beating a team at their place.
^^^This and what Gary posted. I love this team and our staff! But this team is under performing! My view is that Caleb is shooting poorly because of offensive flow- he’s trying to create individually off the dribble. This team has to defend! Period! Offensively we have to dribble less, pass more, and rebound! Look to push the secondary break and use fresh players!

Reactions: gary-7
^^^This and what Gary posted. I love this team and our staff! But this team is under performing! My view is that Caleb is shooting poorly because of offensive flow- he’s trying to create individually off the dribble. This team has to defend! Period! Offensively we have to dribble less, pass more, and rebound! Look to push the secondary break and use fresh players!
I agree with all but Caleb’s shooting. He’s had numerous wide open shots. He’s in a slump and that’s ok if he gets it figured out.

Reactions: gkss and Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT