ADVERTISEMENT

Vikings, season 3 finale....

Anyone...? Anyone? I know there are some Vikings watchers here. Maybe they haven't made the migration over to the new boards. Ragnar is not pleased at their insolence...

Ragnar-Lothbrok-vikings-2013-33446737-350-193.gif

My only complaint about the new board format is it's hard to do a thread "spoiler-proof." In the old layout, I could just type "CAUTION: Spoilers below" then hit enter a bunch of times, then type what I wanted to say. But now, when you open a thread, it jumps you to the most recent post.

My only complaint about the new board format is it's hard to do a thread "spoiler-proof."
Actually, Padawan, the new format has an option specifically for spoilers. It hides the spoiler until the user clicks on it.

This is something I didn't want you to read.

It's in the plus-sign icon in the formatting menu above the text box.

Anyway, about this Vikings show, what channel? Netflix? History? This summer promises to be really boring so maybe I need to binge watch.

Actually, Padawan, the new format has an option specifically for spoilers. It hides the spoiler until the user clicks on it.

This is something I didn't want you to read.

It's in the plus-sign icon in the formatting menu above the text box.

Anyway, about this Vikings show, what channel? Netflix? History? This summer promises to be really boring so maybe I need to binge watch.
Excellent. You're all over the new boards exploration. I did remember seeing "spoiler" under the +box icon, but didn't really think of what that meant. That's pretty darn cool. And yes, it's on the History channel. The third season just ended. It's like the ultimate man's show. The battle scenes are epic.

There's a History On Demand app, but it only has like the back half of this season on there. I'm guessing they might make all of them available though, now that the season ended. The show got really good ratings so there's a slight chance that Netflix might pick it up. And, there's always a chance History will run it as a marathon on a given weekend. I highly recommend. Oh, and bonus points for the Star Wars reference.

...was last night. Anyone watch it yet?? :eek:
I thought it was awesome. Ragnar showed why he should be king. I just hate that next season is so far away. Ten epsiodes of this show is not enough.

My fiance freaked when they closed the ship / coffin. I told her that he was not dead and that the whole baptism was a ruse to get inside the city.

Thanks to Raising Heel for the Spoiler tutorial.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I thought it was awesome. Ragnar showed why he should be king. I just hate that next season is so far away. Ten epsiodes of this show is not enough.

My fiance freaked when they closed the ship / coffin. I told her that he was not dead and that the whole baptism was a ruse to get inside the city.

Thanks to Raising Heel for the Spoiler tutorial.
Pretty impressive that you weren't fooled at all. I thought for sure they were going to kill him off -- because of how they led up to the finale and because of actual history -- but I'm glad they didn't. I'm very interested in seeing where they take the show in season 4. Lots of good storylines in play: Wessex, France, etc.

Posted more thoughts in spoiler form ^ In case anyone hasn't seen the finale yet.

I've missed most of this season but have them all recorded. I'll probably catch up in the summer. I just hope the show doesn't fall into the trap of trying to constantly up the shock factor in lieu of character development. I was interested in the characters the first two seasons but if it just becomes weekly "blood eagles" I will probably move on.

I've missed most of this season but have them all recorded. I'll probably catch up in the summer. I just hope the show doesn't fall into the trap of trying to constantly up the shock factor in lieu of character development. I was interested in the characters the first two seasons but if it just becomes weekly "blood eagles" I will probably move on.
Season three was very strong on character development, in my opinion. No real "shock factor" in season 3. Was there still a ton of violence? Yes. Was it awesome? Yes. That time period was violent and they are depicting it as so. It's not violence just for the sake of violence like in Game of Thrones.

Love this show. Watch it live and DVR it to watch it again just to catch any parts I missed. Ragnar is the man.

Season three was very strong on character development, in my opinion. No real "shock factor" in season 3. Was there still a ton of violence? Yes. Was it awesome? Yes. That time period was violent and they are depicting it as so. It's not violence just for the sake of violence like in Game of Thrones.

I don't mind the violence. Rome was pretty graphic (more than Vikings if you include the incest, rape, etc...) I just hope it is done to move the story along and/or set the tone, not just to fill time. Glad to know the season is a good one. I'll fire up the DVR soon!

I don't mind the violence. Rome was pretty graphic (more than Vikings if you include the incest, rape, etc...) I just hope it is done to move the story along and/or set the tone, not just to fill time. Glad to know the season is a good one. I'll fire up the DVR soon!
This season was real, real good in my opinion. Really, really escalates from episode 5 through episode 10. And it advances the storyline a ton, as well as brings in several new, important characters.

This season was real, real good in my opinion. Really, really escalates from episode 5 through episode 10. And it advances the storyline a ton, as well as brings in several new, important characters.

Well now you've gone and fueled my interest and curiousity. Guess I'll be binge watching it sooner than I thought! :)

Shameless bump. I've now watched through Season 2, Episode 7. Plan to finish season 3 no later than this weekend. Seasons 1 and 2 are on Amazon Prime and Season 3 is on the History Channel's website. Pretty good show. Can't speak to the season 3 finale (yet) but here are my general thoughts so far:

1. I hope they buy fake blood at a deep discount. By the tanker full, hopefully. Man, this show is violent. I agree with some of the above that it reflects the times and generally isn't violence for the sake of violence, but it's still jarring.

2. None of the characters are very likable IMO. Interesting and compelling, but not likable. Maybe that's by design. The one exception might be Lagertha, who seems to have far more integrity than anyone else (a quality that is probably highly undesirable for the time).

3. The show has been really enjoyable so far except for one thing, which is the "is he/isn't he an ally?" angle with Jarl Borg. Ragnar, Rollo, and Horik have all been on both sides of the fence at some point during the show and it got really played out in the second season IMO.

Glad they finally offed that dude, in epic fashion, because it wasn't moving the story forward and the back-and-forth was getting annoying.

4. Finally, I'm thinking this show would actually be a really good candidate for a drinking game/party with friends. It would look a little something like this:

Take 1 drink when:
  • Someone says "Ragnar Lothbrok"
  • Someone mentions "the gods"
  • Floki does a goofy-ass giggle
  • You see blood
Take 2 drinks when:
  • Someone mentions a specific god (Odin, Thor, Loki, etc.)
  • Someone is killed (or meant to be killed) in spectacular fashion (beheading, crucifixion, blood eagle, etc.)
  • You find yourself trying to decide who's hotter: Lagertha or Aslaug
  • The Seer gives you the heebie-jeebies
Take 3 drinks when:
  • A significant character dies
  • You find yourself wondering whether you could pull off Ragnar's hairstyle
  • Someone shouts "shield wall!"
Etc....

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT