ADVERTISEMENT

We still have a chance with Ingram.

Lol He might as well have just announced his decision right then. He pretty much did anyway.

If he really wanted to come to UNC, he would have already. This is JMO, but he comes across as a prima donna to me. Out of respect of all coaches pursuing you and trying to plan for the upcoming seasons, stop making a circus out of it and announce. Again, JMO. I want team-first guys, and he just doesn't come across as one to me.

why? It's a real possibility (see Syracuse) and it's a black cloud hanging over the program that this particular recruit has talked about. Why stop when it's a real thing?
Why . . ?

Its not stopping the opposing coaches from harping on it . .

then let them keep using it, if they even need to anymore...hypothetically, if a kid is a legit pro, not being able to play for title isn't going to diminish a desire for him to show off his talent vs other skilled players...and to be even more selfish about it, his parents shouldn't care either, right?...i know this is an extreme viewpoint regarding kids and their decisions, but who is really making the decisions nowadays?

marvin williams was a special kid...he'd probably still wanna commit even if carolina was on probation.

Trying to think logically and taking off the Carolina blue shades, dook does make more sense for Ingram. There all the playing time he can handle awaiting him there. With that said though, sanctions withstanding, Carolina offers him a better shot at winning a title. He may not be guaranteed minutes or a starting spot but I just don't see any way he doesn't logg 20 minutes MINIMUM whether it be starting or first off the bench.

Reactions: EmJay14
No one was hot after Curry at the time he was just a skinny kid.

But the wisest coaches would have been interested because Del Curry was a late developer who became a beast. Knowing Del, any coach in the ACC should have kept a close eye on Steph and at least offered him a preferred walk on.

I argue it's the sanctions that could kill our postseason next year. No OAD guy wants to go to a school for a year that has no chance of playing in the postseason.

Ingram knows he starts wherever he goes next season.

If Kentucky don't get him I hope you do.

why? It's a real possibility (see Syracuse) and it's a black cloud hanging over the program that this particular recruit has talked about. Why stop when it's a real thing?
This is nothing like Syracuse. UNC's issue is PURELY academic. More than half of the transgressors were non-student-athletes, hence the difference. The classes were accredited, so the NCAA's hands are tied. THAT is why they haven't acted.

According to an Ingram interview on ESPN, the NCAA has acted. UNC supposedly received them on 4/17. Notice of allegations could be a serious issue for recruits.

But the wisest coaches would have been interested because Del Curry was a late developer who became a beast. Knowing Del, any coach in the ACC should have kept a close eye on Steph and at least offered him a preferred walk on.

This is such an idiotic argument. Just list the all time great coaches who wanted Curry...

The same group here whining about this would've been screaming about Roy wasting a scholly had he gone after such a kid.

According to an Ingram interview on ESPN, the NCAA has acted. UNC supposedly received them on 4/17. Notice of allegations could be a serious issue for recruits.
It is true he said that. If true, it hasn't been officially released by us yet. Probably going through the NOA thoroughly before releasing. If Ingram knows, then we weren't trying to hide it from recruits. I wonder what to make of that? It could be spun both ways. My hope is it isn't that bad. Either way, if we don't hear before the weekend we are certain to have some idea of its severity when Ingram announces Monday.

Here is the video for anyone who wants to listen to the interview with Ingram.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12736816

Eh, all his answers seem sort of classic responses to be positive toward any of the schools he is asked about. What else is he going to say when asked if a team signing a elite PG is a positive thing?

Please please please work some magic today Roy!!

Eh, all his answers seem sort of classic responses to be positive toward any of the schools he is asked about. What else is he going to say when asked if a team signing a elite PG is a positive thing?

Please please please work some magic today Roy!!

Largely agree. The comments about Duke and UNC were largely standard responses. IMO, the only potentially negative / telling statement in that ESPNU interview was the aside about the NCAA problems, which -- regardless of whether it was accurate -- clearly highlight Ingram's ongoing concerns about the NCAA. We'll find out soon enough how much this stuff bothers him, but it's pretty clear that he's not convinced at this point that the basketball program will be shielded from significant sanctions.

Largely agree. The comments about Duke and UNC were largely standard responses. IMO, the only potentially negative / telling statement in that ESPNU interview was the aside about the NCAA problems, which -- regardless of whether it was accurate -- clearly highlight Ingram's ongoing concerns about the NCAA. We'll find out soon enough how much this stuff bothers him, but it's pretty clear that he's not convinced at this point that the basketball program will be shielded from significant sanctions.

And it's pretty clear that despite the looming potential for sanctions, that UNC is still neck and neck with duke. People keep saying that it would be a big coup for duke to land Ingram. How so? To me, it would be a monumental feat for UNC to land him. Ingram grew up a duke fan. Duke just wins the championship, has everybody on the team leave opening up tons of playing time, just signs a PG to come a year early while UNC and it's loaded roster deals with potential sanctions.
It couldn't set up any better for K and duke. In fact, if I'm K and Ingram still chooses UNC despite knowing all of the above, I have to really wonder what I might have done wrong in his recruitment.

Reactions: jah420
And it's pretty clear that despite the looming potential for sanctions, that UNC is still neck and neck with duke. People keep saying that it would be a big coup for duke to land Ingram. How so? To me, it would be a monumental feat for UNC to land him. Ingram grew up a duke fan. Duke just wins the championship, has everybody on the team leave opening up tons of playing time, just signs a PG to come a year early while UNC and it's loaded roster deals with potential sanctions.
It couldn't set up any better for K and duke. In fact, if I'm K and Ingram still chooses UNC despite knowing all of the above, I have to really wonder what I might have done wrong in his recruitment.

I agree with you about the overreaction point. While UNC has missed on some of the really elite guys the past few seasons (the top 5-10 guys), I think this is probably the first year in a while where they're not bringing in a top 5-10 recruiting class and UNC still boasts a roster with 3-4 former 5* recruits and a bunch of other McD AAs. As an outsider, it sure seems as if UNC has far more of a performance-related issue, than a recruiting / talent issue. I frankly don't think Ingram makes that big of a difference to UNC either way -- i.e., beyond some added depth, not sure he offers much that is not already largely covered by the guys on UNC's roster.

With regard to Ingram, though, I do think it's surprising that Duke's even in the conversation for him. The kid is from a small NC community that is very pro-UNC, everything I've read suggests his family / people around him are very pro-UNC, he plays on Stackhouse's AAU team, he started getting intensely recruited by UNC long before Duke really intensified their recruitment of him, UNC clearly wants him, and he's admitted to nearly signing with UNC a few months ago -- i.e., this is the type of kid that UNC usually signs with no problem. As dominant a recruiter K has been over the years nationally, Duke has historically never been strong against UNC in head-to-head battles for recruits within a 3 hr. radius of the Triangle (e.g., southern Virginia, North Carolina, northern South Carolina). Elite guys in the region like Stackhouse, Jamison, Felton, McCants, Davis, McAdoo, Bullock, Pinson, etc. have historically always been so reflexively pro-UNC that it's surprising to see a NC kid down the road from Chapel Hill that is suddenly taking a hard look at Duke.

Last edited:
Ingram is going to Dook ! Good for him , hopefully we get Williams. Coach Rat face is the best of the best ! All men want to be him and all women want to have his baby. All i know is you can not buy black hair dye any where near Durham due to K buying up all supplies in the area !

He hasn't had much "magic" lately. I'm sorry, but it feels like recruits don't look at Roy and/or UNC as THE place to be right now. It feels like UNC is at the bottom of the top tier teams where recruits will go if they don't get an offer from the other top tier teams. I hope I'm wrong, but it feels that way.

It may "feel" that way, but UNC/Roy have recruited well for the last 12 years no matter what peeps say!

In the 12 recruiting classes between 2003-2014: (2015 isn't finished)
#1 =1
Top 5 = 8
top 10 =9
outside top 20 = 1

Roy and UNC are and always will be great!

Heels are Family!

Reactions: KATINA1 and RP12
a few folks mention that Ingram will start from day 1 at UNC but he will not. that's everybody's biggest sell against us. all the other coaches are in Ingram's ear telling him that he won't start and Roy will keep him on a leash, etc and hinder his growth. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but I don't see Ingram starting for us, despite the fact that he would arguably be our most talented player.

I think he will end up at UNC, but think that Duke's successful push to get the PG reclassified and committed helps their argument. If they land Ingram to go along with the class they have coming in, they will be a threat to win it all again.

dicky hit the nail on the head. things have turned into a perfect storm for Duke to land Ingram

a few folks mention that Ingram will start from day 1 at UNC but he will not. that's everybody's biggest sell against us. all the other coaches are in Ingram's ear telling him that he won't start and Roy will keep him on a leash, etc and hinder his growth. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but I don't see Ingram starting for us, despite the fact that he would arguably be our most talented player.

I think he will end up at UNC, but think that Duke's successful push to get the PG reclassified and committed helps their argument. If they land Ingram to go along with the class they have coming in, they will be a threat to win it all again.

I disagree that even with Ingram Duke would be a title contender. I think they can be a really good team - an ACC title contender. But the freshman they have coming in are nothing like Okafor, Winslow and Jones. Not all 5 stars are created equal.

Chatter from Duke sources say
I disagree that even with Ingram Duke would be a title contender. I think they can be a really good team - an ACC title contender. But the freshman they have coming in are nothing like Okafor, Winslow and Jones. Not all 5 stars are created equal.

Completely agree there. Thornton is NOT Tyus Jones and none of them are Okafor.

They're top 10 with Ingram. We're still top 3.

Chatter from Duke sources say

Completely agree there. Thornton is NOT Tyus Jones and none of them are Okafor.

They're top 10 with Ingram. We're still top 3.

That is the crux of the issue with me. Last year the difference was T. Jones. Winslow was hot and cold all season and Okafor had a weakness at the freethrow line and he could be doubled. Jones was unguardable in crunch time and often took over when needed. I am most glad he is gone! None of the inmcoming frosh is even close to him.

Heels are Family!

We havent even received NOTICE OF INQUIRY nevertheless notice of allegations which can take 6 mos to receive after the loi! Ingram can play a year, win a title, and be on an nba team before unc suffers any sanctions.

In an era of college b-ball where a 4 and 7 seed UConn team can cut down the nets in 11 and 14, and teams like MSU (7 seed), Kentucky last year (7 seed), Michigan two years ago (4 seed), Wichita State (8 seed), and Butler can make deep runs, I think people's definition of "title contender" has changed considerably in the past 10 years. IMO, a title contender is a top 10-15 or so team that has enough talent that it could, if things break out, make a run to the final four and have a chance to win a title if everything falls into place. Next year -- a year where college basketball will be down b/c of the weakness of the 2015 recruiting class and the mass declarations from the 2014 class, I think Duke with Ingram would certainly have a chance to be nationally relevant if some guys develop / reach their potential, the team plays well at the right time, and the team avoids bad matchups. I'd agree, though, that nothing can happens the rest of this recruiting cycle that would elevate Duke into a national title favorite like UNC -- i.e., one of the 3-4 teams that you'd pick out as most likely to cut down the nets. If Duke had missed on Thornton (and in turn Ingram), it would have been a struggle to stay in the top 25 and get a first round bye in the ACC tourney -- let alone be talking about a pre-season top 10 ranking or competing for a conference title.

There is no one like Jah in this class, and Duke doesn't have a direct replacement for Winslow, but Derryck is every bit of talent Jones was. The kid can flat-out ball.

College basketball won't be extremely talented next year with all that is leaving this year and a weak freshman class. With that said if we get Ingram we'll be a top 5 team kinda surprised some people aren't agreeing even duke fans

Reactions: Rocketman101
College basketball won't be extremely talented next year with all that is leaving this year and a weak freshman class. With that said if we get Ingram we'll be a top 5 team kinda surprised some people aren't agreeing even duke fans

I think top 5 is aggressive. You're still very thin and you need to count on freshman performing the way yours did this year to fit that ranking. That just doesn't happen every year, there is a reason they are freshman, very unpredictable.

Right now you can't say you're better than UNC, UVA, Iowa St, Maryland, Kansas and Mich St even with Ingram.

Reactions: GoToHeelDook
I think top 5 is aggressive. You're still very thin and you need to count on freshman performing the way yours did this year to fit that ranking. That just doesn't happen every year, there is a reason they are freshman, very unpredictable.

Right now you can't say you're better than UNC, UVA, Iowa St, Maryland, Kansas and Mich St even with Ingram.

Folks, UNC will be a Top three team no matter what Ingram may do. Player rotation 1-8 will be as good as anyone in the nation. An argument actually could be made that if UNC indeed signs Ingram then UNC will add the one thing that it needs the most. His outside shot would be very helpful to go along with Marcus, Justin and Joel Berry. UNC will be a great team next season. Concerning this subject there is no doubt in my opinion. Also, Isaiah, Johnson, Meeks and possibly even Joel will be as good of a frontcourt as there is in ALL of college basketball. Having stated all of this I am still hoping that UNC signs Kenny Williams. I really do believe that by the end of his sophomore season he will beco0me an outstanding player. Great shooting, coupled with solid fundamentals, usually makes for a great player at some point. Therefore, I would love to have both of these young men...

I can see why you might feel that way but with 6 guys to rotate in the 4 and 5 spot, a great pg coming in and Kennard and allen and jones at the other spots we should have a great offense with a solid D too.

Roy is at the Ingram residence now, they've exchanged the usual pleasantries and handshakes. Mrs. Ingram just apologized to Roy for the stench in the house, said that even after 24 hours and 2 full cans of Febreze that she hasn't been able to eliminate the stink left behind last night by the Rat and his sweatsuit wearing entourage . .

Brandon is wearing a Tar Heel hat, t-shirt and a bigger than life smile . .

I'll have more as the meeting progresses . .

If you guys don't think that K will have Dook in the mix if they sign Ingram than you are nuts. I don't think they will be as good as this years Dook team but frankly the NCAA will be a tad down next year and even Kentucky won't have a super team constructed to concur the world.

With or without Ingram we are in the hunt for a title. Dook with Ingram would be a threat. Don't fool yourselves. None of us including me thought the Dook team this year would win it all and they did.

Roy is at the Ingram residence now, they've exchanged the usual pleasantries and handshakes. Mrs. Ingram just apologized to Roy for the stench in the house, said that even after 24 hours and 2 full cans of Febreze that she hasn't been able to eliminate the stink left behind last night by the Rat and his sweatsuit wearing entourage . .

Brandon is wearing a Tar Heel hat, t-shirt and a bigger than life smile . .

I'll have more as the meeting progresses . .
:);)

ADVERTISEMENT