ADVERTISEMENT

We still have a chance with Ingram.

What more needs to be said. I think unlike dook , our case has rested. If he wants to play on a team with a chance to win it all next year then he will be in Chapel Hill. I am gonna just say it "dook ain't gonna win it next year" and is probably looking at a Lehigh type of early exit.

Reactions: Realfreedom
What more needs to be said. I think unlike dook , our case has rested. If he wants to play on a team with a chance to win it all next year then he will be in Chapel Hill. I am gonna just say it "dook ain't gonna win it next year" and is probably looking at a Lehigh type of early exit.
you don't seriously believe that do you?

Thornton is NOT T Jones! I watched him play too and he is not. Jones was special, couldn't be rattled, very smart, very fast, and very strong. Thornton will be very good I bet, but he isn't scary and freshmen classes that gel perfectly with veterans and seldom play like frosh are rare.

I have a good feeling about our next few classes and I know Ingram would fit perfectly into our mix. Come on down Mr. Ingram and join the Family!

Heels are Family!

Who can I follow on twitter to get some GOOD recruiting updates on twitter?

Based on the last 6 years, it's just as likely that duke goes out in the first round as it is they win the title. So who knows what to think?
I get that.. We jus weren't very good the Lehigh year and played Zero D with Jabari.. I don't think that'll happen again but I can see how someone "might" think it's possible

Reactions: MustSeeTV
Of course it's possible. But to tell the truth, I don't think it will happen. I'm just trying to be a dick to the duke fans in hopes they'll pack up their sh*t and leave our board.

But you seem ok. I haven't seen enough of you to know whether or not I'd like to see you get hit by a bus.

There is no one like Jah in this class, and Duke doesn't have a direct replacement for Winslow, but Derryck is every bit of talent Jones was. The kid can flat-out ball.
Thornton definitely attacks the rim better than Tyus, and Tyus was none too shabby at that last season.

Of course it's possible. But to tell the truth, I don't think it will happen. I'm just trying to be a dick to the duke fans in hopes they'll pack up their sh*t and leave our board.

But you seem ok. I haven't seen enough of you to know whether or not I'd like to see you get hit by a bus.
Hahahahahahaha!!! Ok I'll take that as a compliment

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Based on the last 6 years, it's just as likely that duke goes out in the first round as it is they win the title. So who knows what to think?
Duke gets Ingram they are Notre Dame last season...and their 2010 team...big guys only need to rebound and defend.

They were named co-captains with Matt Jones for a reason that had nothing to do with their age. .

And that reason was.....? We all know it had nothing to do with their bball abilities, but I'd say age may have factored in. Not exactly random that the only two seniors on the team get named captain hahaha

Also, doesn't that diminish the honor of being a captain when 3/4 of the people on the team currently are captains? How did Grayson Allen get the shaft of being the only returning non-captain?

I can see why you might feel that way but with 6 guys to rotate in the 4 and 5 spot, a great pg coming in and Kennard and allen and jones at the other spots we should have a great offense with a solid D too.

6 guys to rotate? Are we looking at the same roster?

Having 6 guys to rotate doesn't really matter when 4 of them are average at best college ball players, and the other 2 are freshman. Who are you hanging your hat on? Jeter is a stud, sure...and so is Ingram, but in our league Ingram will get eaten alive at the 4. You'll see what a man Brice is when rail-thin freshman Brandon Ingram tries to body him up. And when you have Ingram or Jeter in at the 4, who do you play at the 5? The 3 star you just signed that noone has ever heard of? The Rice transfer whose ceiling is Joel James? Amile Jefferson? Plumlee?

Other than not having a true backup PG- your 4-5 is the most hole filled question mark on your roster.

Look I grew up in Kinston also which not sure what that means. Went to school at KHS and boy it has sure changed a lot. But everyone there IS NOT a dang Tar Heel fan I can promise you that. Not sure what inside info Billy has to keep thinking he is going to be a Tar Heel but I have some little birdies that have told me the same. Remember he is just a kid and very excited and has had a hard time keeping his secret to his inner circle. (Keep the faith)

They were named co-captains with Matt Jones for a reason that had nothing to do with their age. Spin it however you want.

If they're the best players on the team, as in the case of ND, then you have a point and a lousy year coming. Otherwise you're just devaluing that dook degree you claim to have.

If they're the best players on the team, as in the case of ND, then you have a point and a lousy year coming. Otherwise you're just devaluing that dook degree you claim to have.
What? They're captains for their leadership. I never said they were the best players on the team. Where the hell did you get that?

And my degree is from Duke. Never heard of that other place you referred to.

6 guys to rotate? Are we looking at the same roster?

Having 6 guys to rotate doesn't really matter when 4 of them are average at best college ball players, and the other 2 are freshman. Who are you hanging your hat on? Jeter is a stud, sure...and so is Ingram, but in our league Ingram will get eaten alive at the 4. You'll see what a man Brice is when rail-thin freshman Brandon Ingram tries to body him up. And when you have Ingram or Jeter in at the 4, who do you play at the 5? The 3 star you just signed that noone has ever heard of? The Rice transfer whose ceiling is Joel James? Amile Jefferson? Plumlee?

Other than not having a true backup PG- your 4-5 is the most hole filled question mark on your roster.

Amile Jefferson will be a very good player at the 4 IMO. He's shown flashes at different points (e.g., going 13 pts., 5 rebounds, and 6 blocks against UNC in game 1, going 19 and 7 at Louisville, or locking up Kaminsky down the stretch of the title game), but his production has been stunted to date b/c of who's been playing ahead of him at the 4 (e.g., Ryan Kelly (Fr.) Jabari Parker (Soph.), Justise W. (Jr.) and the role he's been asked to play (i.e., if you've got Okafor, Winslow, Tyus Jones, Cook on the floor -- Amile's not going to be the one getting shot attempts). Amile's not big enough to play the 5, but, IMO, he'll be more than good enough to play the 4 in games where Ingram (making the big assumption he picks Duke) has to play on the perimeter. I suspect he'll probably end up being a 11 & 9 guy next season -- and I'd note that he was averaging around 9 and 8 in the first half of last season before Winslow took his starting spot.

The real issue, IMO, will be the 5 spot. If Chase Jeter can mature into a starting center (he measured-in at the hoop summit at 6'10 239), that would resolve a lot of the issues. However, if not, then it'll be Plumlee's responsibility. Now, Plumlee's clearly a bad offensive player and that's probably not going to change significantly by next season. However, he is very big, very athletic (like his brothers), and actually has become a pretty good player on the defensive side of the ball. In fact, while I think the stat was a bit misleading, the team's offensive and defensive efficiency numbers in conference play were actually better with Plumlee than with Okafor at C. It will obviously be a bit of a weakness offensively, but I don't think it's going to end up being that big of a deal b/c (i) we should be pretty good offensively at the 1-4 spots, and (ii) he should be able to handle the position on the glass / defensively. Now, in the end of the day, I think the flaws at the 5 position are why I probably wouldn't list Duke as a top 5 team regardless of what Ingram does -- b/c the absence of a true post-up 5 makes Duke more vulnerable to scoring droughts. But, with that said, I don't think it's something that can't be overcome or a situation where going to be getting physically pushed around on a night-in, night-out basis. While UNC will undoubtedly have an edge on the interior against Duke, reality is that (i) most teams we play next year won't have anywhere near as good of a frontcourt as UNC has; and (ii) Duke has long a trackrecord of overcoming some flaws in the post with great guard / wing play. Unlike in 13-14 or 07-08, where Duke really didn't have any big guys who were ready to play, I think we have enough to hold our own as long as guys stay healthy.

Reactions: pisgah101
What? They're captains for their leadership. I never said they were the best players on the team. Where the hell did you get that?

And my degree is from Duke. Never heard of that other place you referred to.

You said they were ND, which was a terrible comparison because dook's best players will be freshmen/soph not seniors.

I've seen nothing from Plumlee or Jefferson that would signify leadership. But then again, not sure how K picks his Captains. Because Cook was a certified headcase before last year. So maybe those two step up. Who knows?

You said they were ND, which was a terrible comparison because dook's best players will be freshmen/soph not seniors.

Maybe he was thinking in their style? He'd be off base there too. But forgive Mark. He's not very knowledgeable about sports.

Reactions: RP12
I've seen nothing from Plumlee or Jefferson that would signify leadership. But then again, not sure how K picks his Captains. Because Cook was a certified headcase before last year. So maybe those two step up. Who knows?
Coach K thinks they're leaders, and that's good enough for me. The man seems to know what he's doing.

Not intended to be snarky, but I think that's just b/c you don't follow the internal dynamics of the Duke b-ball team very closely (just like I wouldn't know who UNC's leaders are other than Marcus Paige). Jefferson, in particular, has been an important locker room figure for the past couple seasons -- and was co-captains with QCook last season. Plumlee is the same way, but he just hasn't been on the court enough to make a big impact during games. But, you are right that K does sometime use the captaincy title to try and get guys to step-up as leaders -- which is what I think he's trying to do with Matt Jones (who is our only returning perimeter player with a lot of experience). I think K's hoping that Matt will play the Q-Cook type role of being a consistent, stable force on the perimeter who makes timely shots on the offensive end, and takes on the role of primary perimeter stopper on the defensive side.

I'd note also that, in a lot of years, we only name 2 captains (like last year) and often hold out on naming those captains until they've proven themselves (i.e., done what K expects of them as leaders) through the offseason. What's a bit unusual here is that he's naming 3, and doing it before the offseason even began.

Last edited:
Coach K thinks they're leaders, and that's good enough for me. The man seems to know what he's doing.

I agree. Because there's no way to explain dubbing Cook as a Captain last year when not only had he never shown any leadership up to that point, but he was the opposite of a leader - a volatile, emotional wreck. But K had faith in him to turn it around. Now I won't say that Cook was an exceptional leader last year because I believe that the freshman were the heart, soul, and backbone of that team. But Cook at least got it together enough not to f*ck it up.

Plum at least is starting ahead of Cook in that he's got a good head on his shoulders. But c'mon, be real here,...those two have been named captains in large part because frankly, who else would it be? An incoming freshman?

Not intended to be snarky, but I think that's just b/c you don't follow the internal dynamics of the Duke b-ball team very closely (just like I wouldn't know who UNC's leaders are other than Marcus Paige). Jefferson, in particular, has been an important locker room figure for the past couple seasons -- and particularly last year. Plumlee is the same way, but he just hasn't been on the court enough to make a big impact during games. But, you are right that K does sometime use the captaincy title to try and get guys to step-up as leaders -- which is what I think he's trying to do with Matt Jones (who is our only returning perimeter player with a lot of experience).

I don't disagree with any of that. I mean, I don't know what Amile Jefferson has or hasn't done in the lockerroom so if you say so, I reckon I can believe it.

Oh so you just stuck your nose in and tried to correct me when i pointed out the major difference between the two? That's better.
No, I "stuck my nose in" to let you know that you were wrong. I never compared Duke next year to ND this season. Again, that was another poster.

I agree. Because there's no way to explain dubbing Cook as a Captain last year when not only had he never shown any leadership up to that point, but he was the opposite of a leader - a volatile, emotional wreck. But K had faith in him to turn it around. Now I won't say that Cook was an exceptional leader last year because I believe that the freshman were the heart, soul, and backbone of that team. But Cook at least got it together enough not to f*ck it up.

Plum at least is starting ahead of Cook in that he's got a good head on his shoulders. But c'mon, be real here,...those two have been named captains in large part because frankly, who else would it be? An incoming freshman?
Sorry, I can tell by your comments about Quinn Cook that we're not going to agree at all. In fact, I strongly disagree with your assessment of Quinn and his leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT