ADVERTISEMENT

What IF?....

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
Butch doesn't get fired and he's still the coach today. Is the program better, worse or about the same as it is now?

Butch doesn't get fired and he's still the coach today. Is the program better, worse or about the same as it is now?
Much better. We would be contending for a NY6 bowl almost every year. We were a 10 win team his last year if the shit hadn't hit the fan.

Reactions: 87Heel
Much better. We would be contending for a NY6 bowl almost every year. We were a 10 win team his last year if the shit hadn't hit the fan.

Agreed. We might have had the best defense in the country. Certainly one of the best

So where do we go from here? 3-9 didn't impress me or anyone. Don't care about injuries etc. Everyone has 'em. What will our current staff do to turn this around cause right now we look like an embarrassment.

I’m also in the mindset that we would
Be a perennial 8-9 win team with a few 10+ win seasons which is great. Far better than what we have now.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It’s just not meant to be for UNC in football I have made my mind up and now except that fact...I also fear that when Roy retires the same fate awaits basketball...

Hoops will be fine

Like when Dean retired..If not for Roy hoops would be just like Football...I don’t care what Top program you are you need Great Coaches And they should be paid like other great coaches...Everybody says anybody can win at Bama in football until Saben came how was Bama...

Like I said UNC has always done stuff on the cheap...We have been very fortunate to have Dean and Roy for basketball...Football has not faired as well with this model...

Like when Dean retired..If not for Roy hoops would be just like Football...I don’t care what Top program you are you need Great Coaches And they should be paid like other great coaches...Everybody says anybody can win at Bama in football until Saben came how was Bama...

Like I said UNC has always done stuff on the cheap...We have been very fortunate to have Dean and Roy for basketball...Football has not faired as well with this model...

UCLA won titles after Wooden retired

The current issue is that we've paid too much for a football coach. Nice try though.

The difference is that when they had a good idea Doherty might not be up top the task, they made the move. They acted swiftly to protect the program.

For football, they never act quickly - certainly not quickly enough to save the program from years of irrelevance.

I still miss Butch, quite honestly one of the WORST decisions in Carolina Football history..............

Our 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked 62nd, behind Louisville(59th), ECU(57th), GT(51st), Wake(47th), Pitt(43rd), BC(42nd), d00k(41st), UVA(36th), VT(30th), NVSU(23rd), Miami(18), FSU(10th), and Clemson(5th). IOW, help in the form of new talent is not on the way.

Even the damn Wolpfack seem to have a very good young coach. And I'm beginning to think we may have the worst coached team in the league. If State can find an unheralded guy like Doeren, then surely we can do the same.

Our 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked 62nd, behind Louisville(59th), ECU(57th), GT(51st), Wake(47th), Pitt(43rd), BC(42nd), d00k(41st), UVA(36th), VT(30th), NVSU(23rd), Miami(18), FSU(10th), and Clemson(5th). IOW, help in the form of new talent is not on the way.

Even the damn Wolpfack seem to have a very good young coach. And I'm beginning to think we may have the worst coached team in the league. If State can find an unheralded guy like Doeren, then surely we can do the same.
True, but wasn't dora the explorer interested in that Tennessee job just a year ago? moo will have the same problem we do whenever a coach has some success; they will want to move on to a bigger name football school eventually.

They probably will Mark. Like us, they're seen as a stepping stone program. But I'd take a guy like Doeren any day. At least when he leaves your school, he'll leave it in better shape than when he arrived. If that happens 2-3 times in succession, then you're going to have a solid football program with sustained success, one that might then be seen as a destination school, not just as a stepping stone.

It's why I'd like to see Scott Satterfield get the position, he's a NC guy who just might see UNC as a destination school, a school with a ton of unrealized potential where he could build a tradition that would be his. His base salary is $425,000 per year so we could easily double that and that would help with Fed's golden parachute. Hell, Fed's making over four times what Satterfield's making and doing half the job.

Last edited:
They probably will Mark. Like us, they're seen as a stepping stone program. But I'd take a guy like Doeren anyday. At least when he leaves your school, he'll leave it in better shape than when he arrived. If that happens 2-3 times in succession, then you're going to have a solid football program with sustained success, one that might then be seen as a destination school, not just as a stepping stone.
Yeah, that's a good point.

Unfortunately, we end up with guys that keep pulling us deeper and deeper below the surface. Since Mack left, Butch was the only one that could've made us relevant. Well, except for his bad hiring decisions...

Reactions: Archer2
football would be much better if Butch was still around and just think we the fans would have time to get a drink and food sometimes and not miss any excitement

Reactions: Archer2
On TOS it was reported that agents for Lane Kiffen, Mack Brown, and believe it or not Butch m'fkin Davis have already reached out to Bubba that they would be interested if we have a vacancy...

Butch m’fkin Davis sounds good to me. Especially if he got a solid OC that knows how to put up points.

Reactions: deandisciple
I don’t know about this but I do think we’d be muuuuch better. If only he hadn’t hired Black Santa...
I remember the tweet that started it all... We were absolutely getting national title buzz then it all came to a screeching halt. UNC football in a nutshell....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT