ADVERTISEMENT

What is your feelings about friday night College Football?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2001
For those of us that enjoy High School Football, it seems that College Football is now willing to go head to head with High School Football on friday nights....I for one don't like it, and I understand the demand for College Football is great, but why is this becoming more of a trend, is it just demand, or are conferences looking for another night to showcase their teams in the future, other than Thursday, since the NFL seems to be increasing their influence and viewship on Thursday nights?

If you have looked at the ACC Schedules, there are 3 or more ACC games scheduled for friday night THIS season, and may be the first time that I can ever remember that an ACC team is playing a regularly scheduled game on friday night?....Read where FSU who is playing BC this year on friday, has only played one other game on friday before, and it was a game with Miami that was moved to friday from Labor Day, due to an approaching hurricane.....

As a casual fan, I will often tune in to a friday night College game after returning from watching an area High School game, but it would personally be hard for me to attend a College game on a friday night because I love High School Football too much, and am committed to going to a game on every friday during the season?....I understand there are a whole lot of folks with a different attitude about this than I do, but that's JMHO about how I feel about friday College Football games....I'm against it!

How do you feel about friday night College Football?

Personally, I'm all for it. I'd rather have Thursday, Sunday, and Monday be NFL days, and Friday/Saturday be college football days. I think the NCAA will have a much easier time fighting HS football for viewership, than fighting the NFL. Also, there are so many games packed into a 10 hour span on Saturday, that I can't possibly watch all the college football I'd like to. If the games were more evenly split with some Friday night games, I'd be able to watch more.

Up in my neck of the woods (Northeast), it's just not a "to-do" or anything that anyone really cares about (most likely because its night and day compared to the HS talent elsewhere in the country), not too many people outside of players family's go to High School games. I for one, haven't been to a high school football game since the last one I played in. But I understand the issue that those of you with decent HS football will be running into.

For me, Friday Night is reserved for High School football. There is something about it that is just hard to explain. I will watch the College game if home in time. However, I might watch the HS highlights on instead depending on who is playing.

Originally posted by Hark_The_Sound_2010:
Personally, I'm all for it. I'd rather have Thursday, Sunday, and Monday be NFL days, and Friday/Saturday be college football days. I think the NCAA will have a much easier time fighting HS football for viewership, than fighting the NFL. Also, there are so many games packed into a 10 hour span on Saturday, that I can't possibly watch all the college football I'd like to. If the games were more evenly split with some Friday night games, I'd be able to watch more.

Up in my neck of the woods (Northeast), it's just not a "to-do" or anything that anyone really cares about (most likely because its night and day compared to the HS talent elsewhere in the country), not too many people outside of players family's go to High School games. I for one, haven't been to a high school football game since the last one I played in. But I understand the issue that those of you with decent HS football will be running into.
I perfectly understand your point of view, and agree that it might be easier to go head-to-head with HS Football than the NFL, so that might be one of the main factors that the ACC is willing to change their tradition of NOT playing games on friday?....High School Football in the South as you may already know, is an important part of friday nights in the fall for a lot of people like me....Seems it would also be a challenge for College recruiters who may want to watch a kid on a friday night, but has a College opponent to play, instead?

Folks that could care less about HS Football as mentioned above, will probably like this idea as it will generally fill a void on friday, and the more football the better for most people, and I share that view as well, but just can't break away from my friday nite ritual of High School Football...

For the record, here are 2015's friday night games:

Sept 18th: FSU @ Boston College(A game I would be interested in watching if not for conflict with HS Football?)

Sept 25th:Boise State @ Virginia(Another game I would definitely like to see?)

Oct 9th:NCST @ Va Tech(Yeah, I would watch?)

Oct 30th:Louisville @ Wake(Take or Leave it, but may channel surf this one?)

Nov 27th:Miami @ Pitt(It's a Holliday weekend, but it's also a weekend of key playoff matchups in HS Football(3rd or 4th Rd.)...If early enough in the day, I'll watch?

That's just a personal look at what I will likely do on these friday nights, this fall?

Again, thanks for the comments, and all opinions are welcomed!

Well, since I have a kid playing HS football and live in the South, you can probably guess my feelings on this. I also remember Dean Smith NOT scheduling games that conflicted with HS basketball game nights because he wanted to make sure those kids got all the attention they deserved.

Look, I LOVE college football and I LOVE HS football. I completely understand WHY CFB is adding those Friday night games, but I don't like it. I know money drives everything in their world, but having these games on Friday nights seems like CFB is telling HS's that they don't matter. Well, if it weren't for these kids playing on Friday nights there would be NO CFB.

Looking at it this way, too, I think it could impact recruiting, albeit not on a grand scale. Suppose a kid has a scheduling conflict or has a lot of visits lined up with marquee programs, including FSU. Now suppose FSU only has a time for the kid to visit on a Friday night when they play. Do you think that kid will give up a game and risk the wrath of his HS coach to go to FSU when he can go to LSU, Alabama or OSU on a Saturday?

Sorry, but I don't like it. It seems like CFB just keeps getting bigger and bigger and doesn't care a thing about tradition and respect, just the almighty dollar.

Leave Friday nights for the HS kids and their fans.

Originally posted by Littlejon:
Well, since I have a kid playing HS football and live in the South, you can probably guess my feelings on this. I also remember Dean Smith NOT scheduling games that conflicted with HS basketball game nights because he wanted to make sure those kids got all the attention they deserved.

Look, I LOVE college football and I LOVE HS football. I completely understand WHY CFB is adding those Friday night games, but I don't like it. I know money drives everything in their world, but having these games on Friday nights seems like CFB is telling HS's that they don't matter. Well, if it weren't for these kids playing on Friday nights there would be NO CFB.

Looking at it this way, too, I think it could impact recruiting, albeit not on a grand scale. Suppose a kid has a scheduling conflict or has a lot of visits lined up with marquee programs, including FSU. Now suppose FSU only has a time for the kid to visit on a Friday night when they play. Do you think that kid will give up a game and risk the wrath of his HS coach to go to FSU when he can go to LSU, Alabama or OSU on a Saturday?

Sorry, but I don't like it. It seems like CFB just keeps getting bigger and bigger and doesn't care a thing about tradition and respect, just the almighty dollar.

Good point Littlejon about the recruiting aspect of this new decision by the ACC to play on fridays....Speaking of FSU, let's say that for most of the regular season an FSU Coach or Assistant have been recruiting and watching a talented kid play, and they are not the only suitor for this very talented youngster as they are competeting with the SEC powers ALA, Ga. Fla...etc....A good Sales pitch by any of those SEC recruiters might go something like this:...."(Insert kid's first name here)________, I can guarantee you as the Head Coach of __________ that one of our Coaches will be here to watch you play every friday night that you are playing because we really want, and need you, and that's why we will NEVER schedule, or play a college game on a friday night because kids like you are just too important for our football program for us to miss any of your Senior HS Football games...Without you, we wouldn't have a football team or program?......We're the SEC not the ACC!"....It's already hard enough for ACC teams to compete against the SEC for the best HS atheletes, and this is just another unnecessary obstacle that ACC teams will have to overcome on the recruiting trail beginning this season, IMO....

I know the administrators in the ACC want as much exposure as it can get for it's ACC members, but I personally believe this new idea of ACC friday night football, is a bad move on several different levels.....

All great points brought up. The recruiting aspect never even crossed my mind, but now I see that it could be impacted.

I have no particular tie to Friday night, I was just looking for more opportunity to watch college football. Heck, make Wednesday nights the new college football nights for all I care. That'd actually work out better anyways as a way to break up the week. I was going to say there's no way that would happen, but I'm sure a number of years ago people wouldnt have believed they'd see NFL or college football on Thursdays either.

No feelings whatsoever on this. I'm usually not sitting in front of the TV on Friday nights but I'm not watching high school football either.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
No feelings whatsoever on this. I'm usually not sitting in front of the TV on Friday nights but I'm not watching high school football either.
Same, although if I am in front of the TV it's nice to know there might be a game on to watch.

I definitely appreciate the argument against it, though. TV money is awfully powerful.

Originally posted by Tigertown@Rick:
Originally posted by Littlejon:

Good point Littlejon about the recruiting aspect of this new decision by the ACC to play on fridays....Speaking of FSU, let's say that for most of the regular season an FSU Coach or Assistant have been recruiting and watching a talented kid play, and they are not the only suitor for this very talented youngster as they are competeting with the SEC powers ALA, Ga. Fla...etc....A good Sales pitch by any of those SEC recruiters might go something like this:...."(Insert kid's first name here)________, I can guarantee you as the Head Coach of __________ that one of our Coaches will be here to watch you play every friday night that you are playing because we really want, and need you, and that's why we will NEVER schedule, or play a college game on a friday night because kids like you are just too important for our football program for us to miss any of your Senior HS Football games...Without you, we wouldn't have a football team or program?......We're the SEC not the ACC!"....It's already hard enough for ACC teams to compete against the SEC for the best HS atheletes, and this is just another unnecessary obstacle that ACC teams will have to overcome on the recruiting trail beginning this season, IMO....

I know the administrators in the ACC want as much exposure as it can get for it's ACC members, but I personally believe this new idea of ACC friday night football, is a bad move on several different levels.....
That's my first instinct. BUt then I think aboutbthe rise of Louisville football, which used to have 0 buzz and future and no fans. The first thing Jurich did as AD was inform ESPN that Louisville would play on any night of the week that ESPN would televise the game. He knew that against the SEC and Big Ten, Louisville could not get close to halfway decent TV exposure on Saturdays. And he knew the absolute value of games on TV.

The NFL has ruined Sthursday might CFB. The game on ESPN is now an afterthought to much of the football watching nation. The ACC cannot consustently match the SEC and BIg Ten in sheer #s of fans tuning in, which means we cannot get top times and channels on Saturdays.

We need Friday night. An ACC Friday night game of the week can draw large numbers of viewers to ACC football.

Will it hurt recrutiing because HS players and their coaches and parents get upset? Not if any of them have any any sense. People who plan to go to the local HS game are not going to stay home simply becuase UVA at Pitt is on ESPN on Friday night.

There is no 'pure' ACC state (meaning one that is not shared with the SEC) that has large, extremely passionate HS football attendance. Even western PA has much less interest in HS football than was true 25 years ago. VA and NC both produce good talent, but the fan passion for HS football is not nearly what it is in GA or FL or AL or LA or TX. That means that best for all parties would be that every Friday night ACC game have at least 1 team from NC northwards. Best also would be having as many of those games possible played at BC, Cuse, or Pitt.

HS Coaches in NC reacted VERY strongly previously about UNC and others playing on Friday nights, to the point where some said they would not recommend their players play for instate schools if it happened.

Originally posted by NENCHeel:

HS Coaches in NC reacted VERY strongly previously about UNC and others playing on Friday nights, to the point where some said they would not recommend their players play for instate schools if it happened.
NC HS coaches don't seem to be doing much to keep NC HS football talent in state. For them to threaten to harm that which they already fail in large measure is silly at best.

I personally don't have a problem with a couple of games on Friday night. If it's our Heels against a good opponent the way I look at it is it's the beginning of the weekend and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Originally posted by 2for3:
Win and they will stay
There is much truth in that. And it gets to the point I made about Louisville. Tom Jurich said straight out after the Cards got the ACC invite that his agreeing to play Tuesday and Wednesday nights on ESPN set up everything else - set up the good recruiitng of late devlopers and sleepers that allowed John L Smith to win, set up the hiring of Petrino, which was necessary for the rest.

Every Friday night, tens of millions footbal fans will have 0 interest to attend any HS game or watch one on TV. But they will watch a P5 league game. The ACC could turn nearly weekly Friday night games into excellent ratings, which will translate into better recruiting nationally.

And a major benefit: no more Satrurday to Thursdat super wuick turn arounds. 1 more day is a blessing.

I don't like Friday night College games and I do not like the NFL on Thursday night.

Thursday - College
Friday - High School
Saturday - College
Sunday - Pro
Monday - Pro

A great life in the fall and winter. Then to be blessed by Carolina Basketball.

Originally posted by Realfreedom:

I don't like Friday night College games and I do not like the NFL on Thursday night.

Thursday - College
Friday - High School
Saturday - College
Sunday - Pro
Monday - Pro

A great life in the fall and winter. Then to be blessed by Carolina Basketball.
You can like what you want, but the NFL is not going to vacate Thursday, and that makes Thrusday night much less valuable to ESPN and college football. And that means that Friday is the logical night to be ESPN's next Thursday night.

ESPN will continue to show some MAC and CUSA level games on Tuesday and Wednesday. And it will alternate non-P5 games with cccasional ACC or SEC games on Thursday, knowing the NFL game will win the head to head ratings every week . And that means that the ACC capitalizing on Friday night can again position itself in a new way to compete with the richer programs in the SEC and Big Ten.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

Originally posted by 2for3:
Win and they will stay
There is much truth in that. And it gets to the point I made about Louisville. Tom Jurich said straight out after the Cards got the ACC invite that his agreeing to play Tuesday and Wednesday nights on ESPN set up everything else - set up the good recruiitng of late devlopers and sleepers that allowed John L Smith to win, set up the hiring of Petrino, which was necessary for the rest.

Every Friday night, tens of millions footbal fans will have 0 interest to attend any HS game or watch one on TV. But they will watch a P5 league game. The ACC could turn nearly weekly Friday night games into excellent ratings, which will translate into better recruiting nationally.

And a major benefit: no more Satrurday to Thursdat super wuick turn arounds. 1 more day is a blessing.
There's a lot of truth in your statements about Louisville, and I can certainly understand why Jurich wanted as much exposure as possible for his up and coming football program, and I also agree that there are millions of people at home on friday night who might tune in to a College Football game especially in the Northeast where Pro Football is king?....I also understand the possible national exposure and the possible monetary aspect for teams, but I think the jury is still out on the friday night broadcast as a whole because we have nothing thus far to base that assertion that the ratings will be "excellent" because this is the first time that the ACC has played games on friday nights, and went head-to-head with High School Football, so I'll wait for those numbers to come in before declaring "excellent" ratings for the broadcast....I also am not sure about the effect on national recruiting because it would seem to me that a lot of those kids being recruited, would actually be playing a high school game while the college game is on TV?...Not to mention, it's going to be hard if not down right impossible for a kid to attend a friday College game of a team that is recruiting him if he is playing a high school game on that particular friday?....I guess they and their parents could tape the College game, and watch it when they get home from the kid's high school game if he can't attend, or watch?

Again, I understand the other side of argument, and I too will likely tune in the game when I get home from the High School game, but like Coach and Littlejon I believe that friday nights should be reserved for the kids who play the sport, and those parents, relatives and friends who love to watch those kids play football!

As I mentioned above,, the jury is still out on friday night college football, until we see the ratings and figures, and how the College games will impact the teams, the fans, and more importantly the High School kids that are being recruited....

Finally if friday night college football's potential is so great, why has the SEC, B1G,or B12 never played any games on friday night other than the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend?....To me, it just looks like a desparate move by the ACC to get more national exposure, and I as a fan of the ACC hope it works, and doesn't backfire as mentioned above with High School coaches steering kids away from college teams who choose to play on friday nights, like the ACC has now decided to do?

Appreciate the input, good discussion!

I think it is stupid. Leave Friday alone. How are kids supposed to be on campus watching our games if they are playing the same time we are.

It is wrong to play any cfb on Friday night. I work the chains for my school and love doing it. Will not watch any collage games at all then.I hope UNC do not have any games on Friday night. If so it will be tape to watch the next day r so.

Targolf, I use to carry the chains at my high school. That is a ton of fun and one of the best ways to watch a game.

Originally posted by SeaHawk98:

I think it is stupid. Leave Friday alone. How are kids supposed to be on campus watching our games if they are playing the same time we are.
Agreed.

Originally posted by Gary29:
Originally posted by SeaHawk98:

Agreed.
yes. every now and then i'll go to a h.s. game even though my kids have long since graduated. it's a great family atmosphere with the band and the school spirit and seeing friends in the community. there are so few activities that bring a community together these days, so my message to college football echoes gary29: LEAVE FRIDAY ALONE.

Originally posted by TARGOLF:
It is wrong to play any cfb on Friday night. I work the chains for my school and love doing it. Will not watch any collage games at all then.I hope UNC do not have any games on Friday night. If so it will be tape to watch the next day r so.
LOL so its "wrong" because it conflicts with your schedule?

Also, college is one of those words you should really make an effort not to misspell.

If UNC will pay me to do the chains they i can made the game.Eitherwse i wont be speedimg money on the team

Originally posted by TARGOLF:
If UNC will pay me to do the chains they i can made the game.Eitherwse i wont be speedimg money on the team
Is Jadeveon Clowney pretending to be a real Carolina fan?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT