ADVERTISEMENT

what kind of idiot

this has to do with racism, be it taught, learned, ingrained.

imo, he targeted the church if for no other reason because it was an african american church...he came a long way to commit mass murder and it was for a reason.

The Egyptians held the Hebrew children in slavery too. Along with many others. Slavery will always be dead wrong but it is history.

Reactions: Old_School59
this has to do with racism, be it taught, learned, ingrained.

imo, he targeted the church if for no other reason because it was an african american church...he came a long way to commit mass murder and it was for a reason.

There's no doubt it was a racist hate crime. The kid had pictures wearing the Rhodesian flag on his jacket, and a CSA license plate.

I'm not saying that anyone other than that little prick should be held responsible, but its important to acknowledge that his radical ideology had to come from somewhere. I'd be willing to bet his dad is a racist prick too.

Guns aren't the problem, easy access to guns is the problem. Responsible, sane, adults can own a Barrett .50 cal without ever hurting anyone. Unfortunately, basing the background check system on criminal history alone will not be sufficient. There needs to be some kind of psychological evaluation

The grace and forgiveness demonstrated by the families of the victims during this kids bond hearing was truly heart-wrenching.

Reactions: gteeitup
These people become instant celebrities, too. For many people, with deranged minds, that is even more incentive to act-out on their ideas. The media and politicians (and social media and people in general) are turning this into an event like 9-11 or Pearl Harbor. I'm not saying it is deplorable and worth acknowledging, but, to make it seem as though we are still in 1860, or 1960 is such a crock.

This country has made gigantic strides toward racial harmony. It's blatantly visible. It's everywhere. I see interracial couples all the time (having been in one myself), everywhere in the South. 50 years ago that would NEVER be allowed, tolerated, or condoned or even remotely seen as acceptable social behavior. Now, it's not even thought of beyond the glance in passing through the mall. And, somehow this managed to occur with Stonewall Jackson Boulevard being the name of a street somewhere.

I despise what this litle prick did and I hope he gets the death penalty,but with all the race baiting BS from Ferguson to Baltimore,who didn't see this coming?If only people would wake up and realize the MEDIA is the real blame for all this racial uprising.My heart aches for the family of all those victums.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
There are quite a lot of people in SC who wish it were still 1960. That hate is not solely the result of the media

Pretending racism is largely behind us is a big part of the problem with modern racism. More people need to take a social psych class.

Reactions: Mistercvr4
There are quite a lot of people in SC who wish it were still 1960. That hate is not solely the result of the media

Pretending racism is largely behind us is a big part of the problem with modern racism. More people need to take a social psych class.

What a croc of shit,are you basing that because SC is a red state? Yeah', there may be a few who hate blacks but it is a very small minority.When you have blacks on social media screaming kill all whites,then this is gonna happen,it was an open invitation to this kind of tragedy to happen period.There are sickos on both sides.stop making it out it's all the whites fault.

But heres the thing, every time something like this happens theres a call for stricter gun control when in fact no new gun law would prevent any of the attacks! The kid got the gun as a gift for his 21 bday. So we gonna outlaw gifting guns? What new gun law short of banning guns altogether would have prevented the attack or for that fact ANY of the mass shootings?

All that's going to do is disarm the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

What are you using to measure, or even define, "modern racism?" With each passing day, there are fewer and fewer people who were even alive in 1960. So, the rest of us can only assume what life was like then. Do you really think that racial inequalities are remotely similar now to what they were in 1960?

Last edited:

Just because some people would prefer to live in a age (1960) that was a bit more simple, doesn't mean they are racists. Thats ridiculous.

Reactions: dgheel57
What a croc of shit,are you basing that because SC is a red state? Yeah', there may be a few who hate blacks but it is a very small minority.When you have blacks on social media screaming kill all whites,then this is gonna happen,it was an open invitation to this kind of tragedy to happen period.There are sickos on both sides.stop making it out it's all the whites fault.

Actually I've lived nearly my entire life in SC, so I'm speaking from personal experience. I never made it out to be "all-white's fault" but judging from that response, putting words in other people's mouths is a hobby of yours.

to strummingram: modern racism is a psychological term that refers to racism within the context of a society that is unaccepting of racism. Because of the normative influence of a society that rejects racism, individuals are forced to internalize their racism and find other ways of justifying their prejudice, while convincing themselves it isn't in fact prejudicial. I dont think the situation is even remotely close to that of 1960. In psych terms, the kind of racism from 1960 was "classic" racism which is the more overt form.

Racism is the result of subconscious social categorization. To put it briefly, we don't have time in our daily lives to assess the threat of every individual in detail, so we learn to pick up on basic cues that let us know when we're in a threatening situation. Its a subconscious psychological process that every single human being does. The only way to overcome this is to know you have this tendency, and to consciously correct for it. Which is why denying racism still exists is a huge problem.

An argument that we've made progress from a time when black people couldn't drink from the same water fountains as white people in no way proves that we've solved the problem.

to strummingram: modern racism is a psychological term that refers to racism within the context of a society that is unaccepting of racism. Because of the normative influence of a society that rejects racism, individuals are forced to internalize their racism and find other ways of justifying their prejudice, while convincing themselves it isn't in fact prejudicial. I dont think the situation is even remotely close to that of 1960. In psych terms, the kind of racism from 1960 was "classic" racism which is the more overt form.

Racism is the result of subconscious social categorization. To put it briefly, we don't have time in our daily lives to assess the threat of every individual in detail, so we learn to pick up on basic cues that let us know when we're in a threatening situation. Its a subconscious psychological process that every single human being does. The only way to overcome this is to know you have this tendency, and to consciously correct for it. Which is why denying racism still exists is a huge problem.

An argument that we've made progress from a time when black people couldn't drink from the same water fountains as white people in no way proves that we've solved the problem.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I don't mean to imply that all racism is gone. I don't think that will ever occur as long as human beings have the sense of sight. Our eyes see differences and our tribalism/pack animal instincts take over (depending on how much you've been influenced one way or the other). The South lacks the foreign influx and diversity that the Northeast had. Now, you could argue that those places experience far more racial distress because of the strong tribal instincts being thrown into one place.

One thing I do get tired of is reading and hearing these overtly guilt-ridden white people who basically are insisting that all whites subjugate themselves as being inherently racist. If that is the case, well, how can you possibly hope to eradicate "racism" when you're constantly acknowledging racial differences? How do you get to the point where, when you see a person of a different race, your conscious and subconscious mind says to you "That person is black (or Latino, or Asian, or whatever)", and instead your mind just says "There's a human being?" For all people, that should be the common goal. We need to cease mental recognition based on aesthetics.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I don't mean to imply that all racism is gone. I don't think that will ever occur as long as human beings have the sense of sight. Our eyes see differences and our tribalism/pack animal instincts take over (depending on how much you've been influenced one way or the other). The South lacks the foreign influx and diversity that the Northeast had. Now, you could argue that those places experience far more racial distress because of the strong tribal instincts being thrown into one place.

One thing I do get tired of is reading and hearing these overtly guilt-ridden white people who basically are insisting that all whites subjugate themselves as being inherently racist. If that is the case, well, how can you possibly hope to eradicate "racism" when you're constantly acknowledging racial differences? How do you get to the point where, when you see a person of a different race, your conscious and subconscious mind says to you "That person is black (or Latino, or Asian, or whatever)", and instead your mind just says "There's a human being?" For all people, that should be the common goal. We need to cease mental recognition based on aesthetics.

How many white people do you see on social media chanting kill all blacks?

QUOTE="uncboy10, post: 107574, member: 2822"]Actually I've lived nearly my entire life in SC, so I'm speaking from personal experience. I never made it out to be "all-white's fault" but judging from that response, putting words in other people's mouths is a hobby of yours.

An argument that we've made progress from a time when black people couldn't drink from the same water fountains as white people in no way proves that we've solved the problem.[ QUOTE]

Not putting words in you or anybodies mouths,just disputing your opinion of Media not being the main cause.of Racial uproar....They thrive on it.

Actually I've lived nearly my entire life in SC, so I'm speaking from personal experience. I never made it out to be "all-white's fault" but judging from that response, putting words in other people's mouths is a hobby of yours.

*UNCBOY10 drops the mike and gracefully walks off the stage to a standing ovation.*

Reactions: BillyL and uncboy10

I don't pay any attention to social media. I don't do facebook, or twitter, or instagram, or any other forms of social media (except on Rivals boards).

if people don't think modern, contemporary, prehistoric, old-school, blatant, silent, secret, or reverse racism exists in south carolina, you've never spent much time here...and if you have spent time, it's at the beaches.

and even some beaches won't take too kindly to all folks.

this is the most racist state i've ever heard of...and i won't even begin on that flag, but it doesn't help matters much.

Reactions: BillyL and uncboy10

Not sure there are "a lot". No doubt there are some EVERYWHERE but don't judge the masses by a few bad apples.

Racism has come a long way but still needs to improve. There will always be some "hate groups" rearing their ugly heads from time to time.

I am sure if one looks hard enough it can be found. Its out there. BUT, is there a national organization that is white, calling for the killing of blacks and jews like the Nation of Islam is? How about the National Black Panther Party. Before one tries to pull the KKK thing I suggest you look closely and know that this particular hate group has been neutered and at best eradicated. Percentage wise, and I know this chafes peoples asses, blacks are according to statistics, more violent than whites. Have a higher percentage of their population in prison, have a larger percentage of births out of wedlock, single parent families, etc etc. Single parent families have also shown a higher proportion of children who will be either a victim of violence, or will become violent and a part of the penal system in the U.S. These facts are undeniable.

Does this make the shooting in SC ok. HELL NO. However when I see black leaders all rushing to get in their political points about SC, St Louis, Texas etc, and they completely dismiss what happens on a daily basis by black on black crime in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore etc etc every day, I have to call BS. The media is also totally complicit in the way these things are portrayed. So what does one do?

I pray for the victims of such a heinous crime as this. They are innocents. I hope this guy fries in hell, and I imagine he will. I am sure he will get the death penalty, and thats not good enough for him.
But, the media needs to stop promoting angry black people demanding the killing of whites. I know it makes great television but it also enforces some peoples stereotypes about black people being violent by nature or by enablement. This tragedy in SC could be brought on by this very thing. A white dude watches enough of this and snaps. Not a good ending for anyone.

Last edited:
As I stated in another thread, I was on vacation last week - at Isle of Palms, right north of Charleston. I was in downtown Charleston when this happened. Crazy scene.

Here's the deal though, what difference does it make that it was racially motivated? Who cares that it was a "hate crime"? That doesn't bring any peace to the families of those that died. It just seems strange that we categorize crimes as "racially motivated". So what? Racism will never die. To think that it will is absurd. I don't care if someone wants to be a hate filled jerk. But if he breaks the law, whether it's racially motivated or not, he pays the price. Such focus on racism only intensifies racism.

I am sure if one looks hard enough it can be found. Its out there. BUT, is there a national organization that is white, calling for the killing of blacks and jews like the Nation of Islam is? How about the National Black Panther Party. Before one tries to pull the KKK thing I suggest you look closely and know that this particular hate group has been neutered and at best eradicated. Percentage wise, and I know this chafes peoples asses, blacks are according to statistics, more violent than whites. Have a higher percentage of their population in prison, have a larger percentage of births out of wedlock, single parent families, etc etc. Single parent families have also shown a higher proportion of children who will be either a victim of violence, or will become violent and a part of the penal system in the U.S. These facts are undeniable.

Does this make the shooting in SC ok. HELL NO. However when I see black leaders all rushing to get in their political points about SC, St Louis, Texas etc, and they completely dismiss what happens on a daily basis by black on black crime in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore etc etc every day, I have to call BS. The media is also totally complicit in the way these things are portrayed. So what does one do?

I pray for the victims of such a heinous crime as this. They are innocents. I hope this guy fries in hell, and I imagine he will. I am sure he will get the death penalty, and thats not good enough for him.
But, the media needs to stop promoting angry black people demanding the killing of whites. I know it makes great television but it also enforces some peoples stereotypes about black people being violent by nature or by enablement. This tragedy in SC could be brought on by this very thing. A white dude watches enough of this and snaps. Not a good ending for anyone.
Damn, I was just beginning to accept the fact that I was genetically predisposed to liking fried chicken and now this - that I am also prone if not genetically engineered to commit a violent crime. smh

maybe this will finally bring that ridiculous flag down...hearing the movement is pretty strong, maybe a special session from our esteemed governess.

maybe this will finally bring that ridiculous flag down...hearing the movement is pretty strong, maybe a special session from our esteemed governess.

I think the flag should be in museums and not publicly displayed (flown) on the Capitol grounds. But, I find nothing "ridiculous" about the flag. However, I do think peoples' inability to distinguish a piece of cloth flapping on a pole from a domestic, societal condition is definitely ridiculous.

Damn, I was just beginning to accept the fact that I was genetically predisposed to liking fried chicken and now this - that I am also prone if not genetically engineered to commit a violent crime. smh
Facts are facts. You don't have to like them, just know that they exist.

Facts are facts. You don't have to like them, just know that they exist.
Phrasing matters.

It's okay to say blacks commit more violent crimes than whites. It's not okay to say blacks are more violent than whites.

Hopefully you can appreciate the difference.

Phrasing matters.

It's okay to say blacks commit more violent crimes than whites. It's not okay to say blacks are more violent than whites.

Hopefully you can appreciate the difference.

To make that distinction is to imply that blacks are treated unfairly by the judicial system. That may be the case. I won't claim that it is but I also won't deny that it could be. But the problem with making such a distinction (and I don't really mean you but others that make that distinction publicly) is that it borders on the line of rationalizing violent acts from blacks. It ok's violent behavior in a sense. And this is what is happening. By a large segment of the population "excusing" violent behavior from blacks, it only creates a mindset with blacks that their behavior is justified. And when any behavior is positively reinforced, you can expect more of that behavior to continue. That's psychology 101. So while the judicial system may be treating blacks unfairly, we have to be careful about the way we address that issue.

To make that distinction is to imply that blacks are treated unfairly by the judicial system. That may be the case. I won't claim that it is but I also won't deny that it could be. But the problem with making such a distinction (and I don't really mean you but others that make that distinction publicly) is that it borders on the line of rationalizing violent acts from blacks. It ok's violent behavior in a sense. And this is what is happening. By a large segment of the population "excusing" violent behavior from blacks, it only creates a mindset with blacks that their behavior is justified. And when any behavior is positively reinforced, you can expect more of that behavior to continue. That's psychology 101. So while the judicial system may be treating blacks unfairly, we have to be careful about the way we address that issue.

Why does making that distinction also imply blacks are treated unfairly by judicial? I don't follow.

With all due respect, what in the world was that ^^^ all that about? I'm in no way talking about the judicial system, or sociology, or psychology. I'm talking about biology. So was @yrusonvus.

Saying that "blacks are more violent than whites" suggests that the color of one's skin determines their predisposition to violence. That would be like saying "Asians are smarter than whites" as if somehow their genetic differences granted Asians higher scholastic aptitude.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
Why does making that distinction also imply blacks are treated unfairly by judicial? I don't follow.

Because if you're not implying that, then there is really no difference in the two statements "blacks are more violent" and "blacks commit more violent crime".

With all due respect, what in the world was that ^^^ all that about? I'm in no way talking about the judicial system, or sociology, or psychology. I'm talking about biology. So was @yrusonvus.

Saying that "blacks are more violent than whites" suggests that the color of one's skin determines their predisposition to violence. That would be like saying "Asians are smarter than whites" as if somehow their genetic differences granted Asians higher scholastic aptitude.

If blacks commit more violent crime, then it is indeed fair to say, because evidence exists, that blacks are more violent. Unless of course you're attributing at least some of their crime (evidence) to the fact that they are unfairly treated by police resulting in them being arrested more often than whites for violent crimes.

If blacks commit more violent crime, then it is indeed fair to say, because evidence exists, that blacks are more violent.
Either you didn't read what I posted, or you're being intentionally argumentative. There is most certainly a distinction between those two assertions, and it's the difference between sounding like a racist or citing a statistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT