ADVERTISEMENT

What recruits on D will we now land?

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
South Mecklenburg S Stephen Griffin is a UT Vols commit but reportedly has been reconsidering, with UNC tops among his re-cmmitment possibilities. With Chizik as DC, will he stay in state to wear Carolina Blue?

Can Chizik pull Shy Tuttle away from the Vols?

If all this talk of Thig wanting to come back to the Hill comes to fruition, Thig can get both Griffin, Tuttle and more. Go Heels!!

I'm sure Chizik will be using the rings to pitch these guys on Carolina being a national title contender by the time they graduate, so nothing would surprise me.

Originally posted by illesty:
Stephen Griffin is an early enrollee, so probably to late for him.
The semester hasn't started. If he wants to play for Thig and Thig is coming with Chizik?

haven't seen or heard anything about the staff...has there been any word on those announcements?

perhaps when the bowls are over?

Originally posted by gteeitup:
haven't seen or heard anything about the staff...has there been any word on those announcements?

perhaps when the bowls are over?
Chizik has to talk to the remianing coaches on D before he can be certain if nay of them shoukd be retained. Then he cannot talk to those he might want until their bowls are over. The Vols played yesterday - so today is probably the first time he could talk to Thigpen.

I think most of us know that the Vols are very young - on both sides of the ball. All kinds of freshmen and sophomores got a lot of PT this year. One thing that means is that next year, freshmen getting PT will be a rarity.

With that in mind as we think about Chizik, with his strong SEC ties, coming in as DC, while hoping that Thgigpen is brought in as LB coach and RC for D, I wonder about the whole of the Vols list of commitments on D. Above, I've named 2 from NC who both might reconsider, especially if Thigpen joins Chizik. But there are others who might give us a look, especially if any ofthem really connected with Thig and/or might have signed with Auburn if Chizik were still there.

UT has 3 very good commits at DE. Kyle Phillips is from Nashville, so he is notheading anywhere but Knoxville.

Darrell Taylor is from Hopewell, VA. Perhaps VA native Thig is the main reason he committed to UT, and perhaps he might like to play closer to home as long as our D staff is upgraded.

Andrew Butcher is from Alpharetta., GA. We play at GT every other year, and Chizik did very well recruiting GA, both as HC and DC.

UT also has 3 DT commits. Tuttle we know. The top rated one is Kahlil McKenzie of CA, who is rated #1-3 at the position nationally by almost everybody. If Tuttle likes Thig and respects Chizik, he might look at what UT has returning at DT and at McKenzie, and decide likely starting at UNC from Game 1 is a better option for him.

The 3rd UT DT commit is Quay Picou from Buford, GA. Unless the Vols have a string of injuries on the DL, Picou will redshirt next year. And if the DTs UT have on campus and committed all enroll and stay healthy and academcally eligible, Picou might not crack the 2-deep before his 4th year on campus. If he connecetd with Thig, and Thig is baxck in Chapel Hill, and/or Chizik agains impresses a player from GA, we could draw late interest from Picou.

Originally posted by franklin street:
why do you think thigpen wants to come back to ch?
Some are certain he does, which means they would see your question as a waste of time. I am not so certain that he would come back without some reason beyond UNC being his school. He left rather upset. But then again, Blake is gone, disgracefully, and almost all accounts had Thigpen and Blake butting heads.

I like our odds with Chizik as DC, because Chizik hired him at Auburn. In returning to Chapel Hill, Thig will be returning to his alma mater and reuniting with the coach under whom he coahed a national champion.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

We need some beef on the D-line.
that's our greatest need. if you don't stop the run, you don't win. case closed as far as i'm concerned.

Kendrick Norton, who is recruited by almost everybnody at OG and is highly ranked, iis HS teammate of Andre Smith. Norton now is interested in UNC - and we want him to play DT.

Perhaps Chizik can close that deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT