ADVERTISEMENT

What will be UNC's biggest area of concern this season

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Just my observations but maybe the same as last season with the biggest three being unforced turnovers, free throw shooting and stopping dribble penetration.

Sure there are more like playing too many players and not finishing games strong but since the team will have a bunch of seniors and juniors alot of these mental mistakes should be much less than last season.

If the team can cut down on the turnovers and hit 70 percent of their opportunities from the line that will satisfy me and probably most of the othet diehard fans as well

Reactions: JimmyinVA
i agree with your points. but my biggest concern is team chemistry and everybody pulling together as a team, giving 100% at all times.. i don't know why but this was an issue last year.

Top 3 scoring options are still light or short for their position compared to top quality teams, so playing tough against physical teams and getting more from Meeks, Hicks, and Berry will be key.

playing hard all 40 minutes
create transition offense (defensive rebounding & perimeter D)

I think the biggest deal is for this entire Team to staying FOCUS for 40 strong mins, which will supersede all other issues we seem to have from last year. Just as the 09 Team, once they really got Focus that team was so unstoppable and dangerous it wasn't even fair. I believe it was the first time a Team won all their games by double digitals.

Allocation of minutes to the right players, specifically Joel Berry. And Paige's health. With those 2 things, everything else falls into place. I'm not convinced we are the best team in the country either way, even though I kind of understand why we are getting the nod on some pre-season rankings, but I definitely think that if Paige is healthy and Berry plays around 28-32 minutes per game, we'll be in great shape.

well, according to dspn, we should be concerned with the 2016 class in recruiting...it's out now, for public consumption, not that it wasn't out before, just "they" are saying it out loud now. Other schools are using the NCAA as a bully pulpit to hurt the Heels in recruiting, moreover the ncaa is certainly using it to further tarnish the Heels.

This team needs to improve their shooting and get to the foul line more often than they did last year. They need to shoot 70% plus from the foul line and 50% plus from the field.

The area of concern IMO is our front court, we do not have that intimidating rim protector or that guy that gets easy high % shots. Brice has been foul prone but when he isn't in foul trouble he does not go hard to the rim to draw contact, he tends to fade away in other words more a finess guy that a guy that dominates the interior. Meeks, was a good bit more explosive last season but still was not that rim protector shot blocker, needs a step to dunk still for the most part, really needs more explosion and it may not be there. Hicks is a nice athlete but the kid just does not consistently seem to realize how talented he really is, confidence to step up and be the man, he has that kind of ability, he does not have that level of confidence. I worry about Joel James, love the kid and everyone has seen that he stepped up big from prior seasons but is there another level he can get to or have we seen his highlites already? Joel is the ONLY player on our roster over 6/9, we are not exactly loaded on that front court, we have enough if those fellas really step up and I think they can, the question is will they...

Having a killer instinct, putting teams away and playing with high basketball IQ. Also need consistency from our bigs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT