ADVERTISEMENT

When and why, did you start pulling for our UNC TAR HEELS?

shun1

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2003
Back in the late 60's, I was going through the channels and came across a basketball game, and it was our TAR HEELS. The first thing I saw was Larry Miller hitting a corner shot. That with the fact I fell in love with that CAROLINA BLUE uniform. My father had some friends that were big UNC RAM MEMBERS (Bozie, Alphins). Well George Jr. received tickets on a regular basis. PLUS, UNC is named after the state I was born in and raised. I love the state of NORTH CAROLINA, and proud to call myself a home grown, loud mouth.......

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R E D N E C K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY WILLIAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: saltee123
My Father Made me Like The Heels and Yankees, and Steelers , I am a Panthers fan and have dropped the Steelers since...

Back in the late 60's, I was going through the channels and came across a basketball game, and it was our TAR HEELS. The first thing I saw was Larry Miller hitting a corner shot. That with the fact I fell in love with that CAROLINA BLUE uniform. My father had some friends that were big UNC RAM MEMBERS (Bozie, Alphins). Well George Jr. received tickets on a regular basis. PLUS, UNC is named after the state I was born in and raised. I love the state of NORTH CAROLINA, and proud to call myself a home grown, loud mouth.......

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R E D N E C K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO ROY WILLIAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a kid. Turned on the game of the week of the old JP ACC network and the Heels were playing (vs Wake Forest, I think). Fell in love with the different way they played compared to other teams... the beautiful court geometry, motion and continuity that my young eyes appreciated even before I knew anything about the game. Inspired me to love basketball and figure it out. Eventually turned me into a coach. I blame Dean ;).

Being from Boston, I didn't have much in terms of college teams to root for. I liked college basketball and the first year I did a March Madness pool (I believe I was 7 or 8) I picked UNC to go all the way (it was one of the Carter/Jamison teams so obviously it didnt pan out). At that point I became a somewhat passive fan of the Heels ( I semi-rooted for them but wasn't die-hard by any means). I'd say I became a die-hard fan the second I opened up my acceptance letter to attend UNC Chapel Hill as a student, and I havent looked back since.

Go Tar Heels!

In my Mother's womb! I think she was in a bar!??!!? Seriously, I became a Skywalker fan in 1974 when he beat UCLA for the NCAA Championship. However when Coach and a small PG from Rocky Mount won the Olympic Gold Medal in 1976, my blood changed colors!

1966 and I was turning 8 years old and playing midget(kids) rec league basketball and there were 4 teams (Tar Heels , blue devils , wolfpack and deacons) , my cousin and I ended up on the Tar Heels and we have both been fans ever since. Played on Saturday mornings in a rickety , moldy little gym on the campus of a Burlington Mills location.

For me it was when i started going to school there. I grew up in Ohio and pulled for the Big Ten teams, but have shed those allegiances - football and basketball both. I'd pull for us over anyone in any sport. On the plus side, I hated Duke long before going to UNC, so I fit in pretty well!

I was 8 years old and outside on recess when our teacher cut on a radio and a group of us heard a replay of the 1957 Championship game. I have been a Heels fan every since that day and have never had any desire to pull for any other college team.

After playing pickup basketball at age 11 on December 30, 1966 I heard one of the older guys say they were going home to listen to the Carolina game so I thought I would also.
I fell in love with the game listening to the mouth of the south Bill Curry do the play by play, he painted such a vivid picture that I was in love and haven't missed a game since. Btw they defeated Ohio State 82-73

1960, I was 6, my mom said I had to be a Tar Heel fan, no ifs, ands or buts about it, even though I really wanted to be a dOOk fan.

Parents job (Phillip Morris) moved us to Charlotte in 84 from Richmond Virginia and naturally a Cavalier fan at that time (and Duke at that time also. Big Johnnie Dawkins fan). My stepfather and I went to a Carolina game at the Charlotte Coliseum and I was hooked. Something about that Carolina blue. Funny story. Around 85/86 me and a cousin from Richmond (who later went on the play basketball at Arksansas under Nolan) was promised to be sent to the Carolina basketball camp. I couldn't sleep for days after that promise. Turned out to be Catawba College camp instead (cheaper i was told). I don't cry much but I did that day.

1960, I was 6, my mom said I had to be a Tar Heel fan, no ifs, ands or buts about it, even though I really wanted to be a dOOk fan.
Billy, thank GOD for mothers!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Ghost said above... Phil's freshman year is when I got my start. My Mom and Dad were George Karl fans and passed the gene down to me. No other school or program ever had a chance!!

I was born in 1960 and my 1st memory when Charlie Scott was hung in the air, looked left and right and then hit the jumper. Maybe it was against Davidson? Then losing to UCLA and i cried as an 8 yr old and never looked back or anywhere else, PERIOD! Thank GOD I'm a Tar Heel!

I guess I'm the "ancient relic" on this board, but I became a Tar Heel forever when i went with my parents to watch Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice play. Films don't do him justice (pun sort of intended). He was something. Even my mother, who was not a huge sports fan, would say, "Wow, look at him go!"

Have to admit I started out a Duke fan in the mid 60's when Vic Bubas was there and hated Carolina when they held the ball against Duke in the 66 ACC tournament. But the more I watched Dean Smith's teams the more I began to appreciate his brand of basketball and before I knew it I was a fan and never looked back.

My dad wasn't into sports much with the exception of NASCAR, which we watched or listened to religiously. But I had an uncle who used to tell me about Choo Choo's exploits on the field and I guess he was responsible for me being a Heels fan. I was too young to remember the '57 Ship, I was only four. But I started following the Heels teams of the very early 60's with Walsh, Shaffer, Moe, Poteet, and Larese. I've rooted for all things UNC ever since.

An interesting factoid: The '60 team was comprised of 8 NY/NJ players, a couple of PA players, and only 2 players from NC. That was often the case back then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT