ADVERTISEMENT

Where UNC Stands Now That The Portal Deadline Has Passed

It's just that when you have no idea of what your roster might look like in May when the 2023 starts in the fall how can you postulate about the upcoming season. Used to be by now you knew who you had and who was coming. At the moment it's all bun and no burger ..
Don't you think we are pretty set now? Other than Cadeau, is there any reason to pencil in any TBD players who are likely to get anything more than backup minutes?

Don't you think we are pretty set now? Other than Cadeau, is there any reason to pencil in any TBD players who are likely to get anything more than backup minutes?
I think we have 3 schollys available. 1 for EC leaves 2 left. Silly to not get the best we can get and let them battle it out in practice.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
$$ has been a part of sports and games literally forever and that's the one thing that has never changed.
Agreed, just hits different when it's not the side people prefer getting a share. Suddenly "not pure", then. It's a mega buisness.

I think we have 3 schollys available. 1 for EC leaves 2 left. Silly to not get the best we can get and let them battle it out in practice.
Cadeau and that's it. Nobody else will come in to compete for scraps. Like yelling outside to your 3 kids that you have 1 popsicle and two sticks, come and get it! Oh, and by the way Eliott, you get the popsicle 🤪

Cadeau and that's it. Nobody else will come in to compete for scraps. Like yelling outside to your 3 kids that you have 1 popsicle and two sticks, come and get it! Oh, and by the way Eliott, you get the popsicle 🤪
I have been saying for months that 1-2 scholarships will go to Walk on players. My opinion has not changed.

Team is set now let's get to work! (IMO) (save the schollies for '24 or even one for '25.)

Once(if) Cadeau gets here, hand him the keys to everything, coach them up hard, and let's get back to running peeps out of the gym + frustrating them with our D! Peeps that won't work hard to improve or cause dissent need to be left at the station when this train leaves! I want to build to some classic beatdowns UNC style! If Cadeau stays '24, RJ drives this car and we still can lap the field! I see scoring, shooting, athleticism, coachability, length, depth,and great attitudes across the board and I am excited!

I have been saying for months that 1-2 scholarships will go to Walk on players. My opinion has not changed.
My sense is that on average we have tended to have 12 true scholarship players - by which I mean players we offered and they accepted - with the rest probably going to walk-ons.

But in the past, those true scholarships often included 1 or 2 guys we and they knew weren't really UNC material. They stuck around because they liked it here and transferring was hard.

Now that it's easy for scholarship players who don't fit to move on, it might be more realistic to settle down with 11 scholarship players because we'll have little or no dead weight. That's an 8-man rotation of solid, proven players plus 3 promising guys in development. Give or take.

Solid/Proven Players

RJ
Armando
Ingram
Ryan
Wojcik
Withers

Promising/In-Development Players

Cadeau
Wilcher
Trimble
Washington
High

I expect Cadeau, Wilcher and Trimble to move quickly into the Solid/Proven group, but that remains to be seen. But any 2 of them would give us a solid 8-man rotation.

Team is set now let's get to work! (IMO) (save the schollies for '24 or even one for '25.)

Once(if) Cadeau gets here, hand him the keys to everything, coach them up hard, and let's get back to running peeps out of the gym + frustrating them with our D! Peeps that won't work hard to improve or cause dissent need to be left at the station when this train leaves! I want to build to some classic beatdowns UNC style! If Cadeau stays '24, RJ drives this car and we still can lap the field! I see scoring, shooting, athleticism, coachability, length, depth,and great attitudes across the board and I am excited!
I don't know about giving Cadeau the keys to everything but, yeah, you put him in at point right away, if possible, to see if he's really all we expect. But he's still a freshman, and he still needs to learn the system - if we have one.

Let's be sure not to have a repeat of Cole Anthony or Dennis Smith at State, where other players stand around watching Cadeau and seem to have forgotten what their role is. I doubt that's a real risk because Cadeau is reputedly a pass-first point guard, but we'll have to see how his game translates to being defended by the likes of Virginia.

Let's keep this on the original topic. Thank you.
What was the original topic???? LOL! Like most threads we seem to morph into talking about a hot button or whatever is chapping the last poster's arse! Oh, yeah, UNC is in great shape to me now that the portal is closed!

Reactions: andrew jones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT