ADVERTISEMENT

Who is excited at the prospect of Deke Adams

It would be a solid hire. I'd give it a B+

He was good when he was here, tbh.
It looks like he did some decent recruiting at SC and ECU. As long as he can get some talent to come in I'll be satisfied. It's good that he is from the area, because he will already have relationships with high schools within our normal recruiting footprint. The question I have is was this a Fedora hire or a Chizik hire?

Reactions: gauchoheel
It looks like he did some decent recruiting at SC and ECU. As long as he can get some talent to come in I'll be satisfied. It's good that he is from the area, because he will already have relationships with high schools within our normal recruiting footprint. The question I have is was this a Fedora hire or a Chizik hire?
He's an excellent recruiter. He had a Jacksonville pipeline rolling for us when he was here.

As for whether it's a Chizik or Fedora hire.....that's the big mystery. No one knows -- and I mean no one -- is Chizik is staying or going.

That to me is a key question, because the answer may tel us a great deal about how long Chizik will be our DC.

Reactions: tarheel0910
He's an excellent recruiter. He had a Jacksonville pipeline rolling for us when he was here.

As for whether it's a Chizik or Fedora hire.....that's the big mystery. No one knows -- and I mean no one -- is Chizik is staying or going.

I thought it was Dan Disch who had the Jacksonville connections either way I am in the same camp of a B grade for the hire - doesn't excite nor deflate

He can start with his son who is a big time recruit and Clem is after hard.

Any concerns that a change in DL coaches will adversely affect our DL recruits in the '17 class. I really hope not.

not unless deke is all of a sudden a 3-4 guy.

one thing that concerns me the most is the different technique deke teaches compared to scott and brad lawing(who deke replaced at scarolina)...one teaches getting up field with little regard for gap control, the other does not.

one thing that concerns me the most is the different technique deke teaches compared to scott and brad lawing(who deke replaced at scarolina)...one teaches getting up field with little regard for gap control, the other does not.
I think Chizik will have a fair amount of say about that.

I typically keep expectations in check, but I want to see considerable improvement in the DL next season. We should be able to cobble together a quality two-deep from this list. I'm not opposed to playing freshman if that's what it takes.

3-Stars (Rivals Rating)

Robert Dinkins (5.7)
Dajaun Drennon (5.7)
Jordon Riley (5.7)
Jeremiah Clarke (5.6)
Aaron Crawford (5.6)
Malik Carney (5.5)
Allen Cater (5.5)
Nolan DeFranco (5.5)
Marlon Dunlap (5.5)
Tyler Powell (5.5)
Jason Strowbridge (5.5)

4-Stars (Rivals Rating)
Jalen Dalton (6.0)
Tomon Fox (5.8)
Xach Gill (5.8)
Jake Lawler (5.8)

I spoke with Deke at RDU the first year Fedora's staff was here. He was returning from a recruiting trip in Georgia or Florida I believe. Anyway, he seemed like a great guy, which, of course, has nothing to do with his coaching ability. I hope he can do a great job for us; apparently, Fedora has faith in him.

Ok, he seemed to talk like he was enjoying his time here. I guess he's not as happy as he said he was.

I've never thought Chizik would be here long,if the opportunity comes up for a vacancy at a big time program,he'd be foolish to turn it down. Enjoy his time here.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I've never thought Chizik would be here long,if the opportunity comes up for a vacancy at a big time program,he'd be foolish to turn it down. Enjoy his time here.
Yeah, I figured we would get three years out of him before he left for a head coaching job.

I think Chizik will have a fair amount of say about that.

I typically keep expectations in check, but I want to see considerable improvement in the DL next season. We should be able to cobble together a quality two-deep from this list. I'm not opposed to playing freshman if that's what it takes.

3-Stars (Rivals Rating)

Robert Dinkins (5.7)
Dajaun Drennon (5.7)
Jordon Riley (5.7)
Jeremiah Clarke (5.6)
Aaron Crawford (5.6)
Malik Carney (5.5)
Allen Cater (5.5)
Nolan DeFranco (5.5)
Marlon Dunlap (5.5)
Tyler Powell (5.5)
Jason Strowbridge (5.5)

4-Stars (Rivals Rating)
Jalen Dalton (6.0)
Tomon Fox (5.8)
Xach Gill (5.8)
Jake Lawler (5.8)

I think there are several reasons to like the hire:

1). The familiarity with Coach Fedora, and what he wants from his D-line coach!
2). He has more experience than the Coach who just left for Mississippi.
3). Having Coached here before along with stops at USuck and E.Carolina, he should be familiar to High School Coaches around the south and particularly in North and South Carolina which could help with recruiting.
4). Don't have any idea whether his son would be interested in joining a team that his father is coaching or not, but there's that.

Based on the defensive line info provided by Raising Heel, Adams will have more experience and talent to work with than he did when he was here the first time which should also be a bonus...

Overall, I think that it was a good hire for all the aforementioned reasons above...

Just my take!

He has an NC on his reseme,can Fedora say that?Don't ever doubt him getting another opportunity after Louisville hiring Petrino for a second time
Petrino is considered WAY, WAY, WAY better of a head coach than Chizik.

I'm telling y'all, ADs see Chizik as a bad head coach who won a natty only because of Cam Newton. I love Chizik and I do not agree with that assessment, but that is how he's viewed.

The word is Chizk's family has no intentions of leaving Alabama and because of this he some times misses practices and doesn't participate much in recruiting. Fed has supposedly told him he wants him all in for next year. Take it for what it's worth it came from source who is usually accurate. Chizk will probably make a decision soon after signing day.

some of this fawning over chizik is ridiculous...it's not a special scheme, at all.

now, is he a good teacher and motivator at this point, sure...there are other guys that teach the same scheme that also participate in more than just practice and game day...hope he commits to a year, or "all-in" if this is indeed an issue...these assistants are usually only on 1-2 year contracts anyway, so maybe fedora, if he's around in 2018, will know ahead of time that a replacement will need to be found.

most of these coordinators are just closers anyway...perhaps that's were the examination needs to begin.

The word is Chizk's family has no intentions of leaving Alabama and because of this he some times misses practices and doesn't participate much in recruiting. Fed has supposedly told him he wants him all in for next year. Take it for what it's worth it came from source who is usually accurate. Chizk will probably make a decision soon after signing day.
Auburn, AL is not exactly a garden spot of the world. And when it comes to nearby large towns, even Raleigh is much better than Montgomery.

Much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT