ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the one player(recruit) you wish had gone to UNC

Didn't we have Patrick Ewing practically committed until his campus visit coincided with a Klan rally in Chapel Hill?

I know we had Ray Felton, but man I wish we could've found a way to bring home Chris Paul. Toughest guy in the nba right now (along with Westbrook) and a pure leader. LOVED UNC growing up. I use to try to argue that Felton was better just because we had Felton and Chris ended up at Wake, but I always knew the truth.

Still, I wouldn't trade the Felton years for anything.

Ewing being wrapped up for us was nothing more than Patrick Ewing's hot air. Research showed there was never any KKK rally. I also don't remember us ever really being in this one. Ewing was all about Thompson Sr.

Seriously? A one and done who only played a handful of games?
He is one of my favorite players because of just the style he plays. I feel so dirty that he is my favorite player in the NBA because he went to Duke. I would feel so much better if he went to UNC.

Plus, you know, who knows what would have happened differently if we had him and not them. Maybe he doesn't get injured? Maybe he leads us to a championship? Maybe he does none of that. I don't know. I just know I think he is awesome.

i can't believe nobody here has said anthony Davis, sure he played at UK, but if you would take Irving or grant hill over him your crazy.

Kevin Durant. You put him in the starting lineup on that 2006-2007 team with Hansbrough , Lawson , Ellington , Terry. Obviously we don't get Brandan Wright. But the space he would of created for the other players to work especially Hansbrough. In college Durant would of been the ultimate stretch 4 in Roy's system and I have been wanting Roy to recruit a high talent stretch 4 man for a while now. Haven't had one since 2005 with Jawad and Marvin. Why I am excited to see more from the Finnish kid that we seem to be in front for. I know Durant was 3 man but keep in mind he is 6'10" 7'5" wingspan and averaged 11 RPG as a frosh. He would of given teams fits on the secondary break catching at the top of the key with burying 3's and taking guys off the dribble. Ultimate mismatch.

the story i heard heelbent was that we needed a forward desperately and it was between durant, wright and young out of tenn. we we're in great shape with all 3.
durant didn't have the grades yet and we couldn't risk committing to him and he not get the grades. texas only had a shot at durant so they could take a chance on him getting the grades where carolina couldn't.
decent source told me this but not as good as i would have liked.
how good was your source heelbent?

Pretty good, lol. Durant...beyond a shadow of a doubt. First hand knowledge.

Wright was dook's to lose...and they did. He visited UNC once, and that was just a courtesy because he just happened to be at dook for the upteenth time and Roy invited him to check out the campus and facilities. He called Roy and committed that night. Thaddeous Young was going to commit the next day and was furious when Wright beat him to the punch.

Pretty good, lol. Durant...beyond a shadow of a doubt. First hand knowledge.

Wright was dook's to lose...and they did. He visited UNC once, and that was just a courtesy because he just happened to be at dook for the upteenth time and Roy invited him to check out the campus and facilities. He called Roy and committed that night. Thaddeous Young was going to commit the next day and was furious when Wright beat him to the punch.

Spot-on.

In my lifetime - Jay Williams. But I agree with Steph Curry too, if UNC was recruiting him.

JR Smith was another one, for me. That McD game where we just went off was the dagger...he was showcasing for NBA scouts.

I feel like I read somewhere that Kevin Garnett would have chosen UNC too if he were forced to go to college - but I could be wrong there.
Michigan for Garnett.

the story i heard heelbent was that we needed a forward desperately and it was between durant, wright and young out of tenn. we we're in great shape with all 3.
durant didn't have the grades yet and we couldn't risk committing to him and he not get the grades. texas only had a shot at durant so they could take a chance on him getting the grades where carolina couldn't.
decent source told me this but not as good as i would have liked.
how good was your source heelbent?

Durant not being able to make it thru admissions broke his heart. From what I was told it was actually Durant that sold Ty lawson on the Heels (straight from the lips of his old coach) and they were looking at becoming a dynamic duo together. And no, my understanding was that Durant was a (known) grade problem that the question of can he get the grades was not asked, he had no probllem gaining admission and eligibilty at Texas and yet everyone is laughing at our academic standards?

AS for the question of this thread, give me a senior MJ or a senior Worthy and I would be VERY happy! If it had to be a kid that went elsewhere that we had a great shot at, Chris Paul or Rodney Rogers come to mind. Hard to believe still that we offerred Chris Paul no more than an invited walk on deal.

As for Hurley, yeah, I would have loved for us to have got the kid but Dean really wanted and thought he had Anderson. But in tribute to Dean, he really liked Hurley and he knew that K needed a PG, Dean actually set up the meeting between K & Hurley. Like it or not you have to admit that was pretty cool, what other coach would have done such a thing, especially when it helped your conference rival. Dean wanted Hurley to have a really good opportunity, he liked the kid that much.

ME! and I was available! Actually can't believe Stephen Curry wasn't recruited by any ACC teams! He gets my vote!

ME! and I was available! Actually can't believe Stephen Curry wasn't recruited by any ACC teams! He gets my vote!
Yeah we never even recruited Curry and don't think we even offered a walk on and now the guys is tearing up the NBA. He wasn't highly rated at all and it makes you wonder how all the coaches and recruiting gurus missed this one so badly. Maybe Kenny Williams can become a superstar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT