ADVERTISEMENT

Who will Roy offer next in 2019?

FranktheHeel

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2017
Due to the news about Moore expanding his recruitment and the staff stating that they will now be pursuing other prospects while still recruiting him and also hearing about some new developments regarding Nickelberry and how is changing schools again, I thought it would be good to explore some options.
We currently have offers out to Matthew Hurt, Ashton Hagans (have Francis committed, so him committing is unlikely), Vernon Carey, James Wiseman, Armando Bacon, Will Baker, Wendell Moore, Josh Nickelberry. Something to note, Moore is our only SF offer and we have 5 post offers already.

So, here are some prospects:

Alonzo Gaffney PF- combo forward, had a big summer, been open about stating that UNC is his dream school, dad played at Cincinnati, Brad Frederick watched him play in summer, Roy plans on seeing him soon, good outside game, long and versatile, can post up
Scottie Lewis SF- Roy visited in September, made his Top 12, explosive, high motor, great in transition, active defensively, finishes really well on his drives
Bryan Antoine CG- good shooter, quick, good on ball defender, flashy dunker, team-first guy, good passer, teammates and good friends with Lewis, visited at his high school by Roy in September
Precious Achiuwa SF- Roy visited him in the end of September, good build and size, really good motor, hits glass hard
Joey Baker SF- I think we are all familiar with Joey, teammate of Jalek on Team Felton, recently visited unofficially at the Ring Ceremony, has expressed his interest in UNC, recently offered by Dook. It will be interesting to see what we do here, been hearing two different sides. He is a versatile scorer and has good size
Christian Brown SF- high motor, good wingspan, runs well in transition with the ball in his hands, was an article about him over the summer that he doesn’t take plays off
Isaiah Stewart PF- been hearing a lot of good things about him, high motor, really strong build, strong in post, good jump hook, humble kid, aggressive, played well at USA Mini Camp, good rebounder
Francis Okoro PF- runs floor well for a big, good post scorer, really good wingspan, can shoot from 12-15 foot range

I personally really like Gaffney a lot, would love to see the kid get an offer and commit right away. Also, from Ohio like Francis. Ohio to Chapel Hill, fine by me!! Seems like a really good kid from his interview.
Here are some clips of him:

I've been wanting Gaffney to get an offer since he popped on the radar. The kid has huge upside and could be a John Henson type player at Carolina. So, because I want it to be Gaffney, I'll pick him as getting the next offer.

However, I'd love to see Francis Okoro get offered. He is another kid that supposedly has a strong affection for UNC. It'd be nice to get on him early.

I think Roy will want to see either more genuine wing skill or clear willingness to play the 4 from Gaffney. Right now he's a skinny 4 who likes to hang out on the perimeter. Super talented, but since he's likely a one-and-done, you want to know he's a guy who can contribute in his one year.

What are people's thoughts on Jalen Lecque? Seems to be one highly regarded NC guy I've not heard much about. I'd assume we're not interested at this point given all the guards we have on the team, but we have pursued Nickelberry.

I would like for Baker and Francis Okoro to get next offer and if no Baker Christian Brown would be a good hard nose player it's true he doesn't take plays off. Jalen Lecque I think he moved to NC not sure from where and some local NC scouts have said he is the real deal.

Hopefully less kids who grew up Dook fans, or already enamored with other schools.

Gaffney, Baker, or Okoro would be a great start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT