ADVERTISEMENT

why is 3rd QB playing?

3rd string QB played because Fedora was forced to play him.

Fedora is probably still telling himself that both Harris and Surratt are much, much, much better than Elliott.

They all suck honestly. Not one can throw the ball past 10 yards or read a zone coverage. If you need a QB who can throw it to the other team, we have plenty who can do that.

3rd string QB played because Fedora was forced to play him.

Fedora is probably still telling himself that both Harris and Surratt are much, much, much better than Elliott.

"much much much"? Elliot was tied for first string with the other two til the last two weeks of camp.

Don't think so. But based on what we've seen from the other guys, it won't take much for him to take the job.

Play Byrd
In the Spring 'game,' Byrd, Elliott, and Surratt al looked about the same. Fedora then decided that Harris, who was crap at LSU, clearly deserved to start, and that Surratt deserved every other snap.

Why and how, based on what? The best I can see, based on Fedora's whim.

For all we know, Byrd could be definitely better than Elliott, whom I would start over Surratt without any doubt, who should play half gimpy before Harris should be given any snaps.

In the Spring 'game,' Byrd, Elliott, and Surratt al looked about the same. Fedora then decided that Harris, who was crap at LSU, clearly deserved to start, and that Surratt deserved every other snap.

Why and how, based on what? The best I can see, based on Fedora's whim.

For all we know, Byrd could be definitely better than Elliott, whom I would start over Surratt without any doubt, who should play half gimpy before Harris should be given any snaps.
So you think Fedora, Heck, Kap, Brewer, Chad Scott, D Smith and the offensive grad assistants all watched practice and decided that Surratt/Harris had the best chance to win acc games, or that Fed simply made the decision off a "whim"?

How would you organize your depth chart if each of your options had more weaknesses than strengths, and you knew your OL was going to be a sieve?

Reactions: Raising Heel
No reason he shouldn't get some looks at this point in the season. Give him a chance to step up on the field. Nothing to lose.

That being said I have a feeling Jace Ruder may supplant all four of these guys next year.
Will Fedora be smart enough to see that if it is the case? I have doubts.

Surratt is never going to make any NFL roster as a QB. Like Marquise Williams, he probably also has no real chance to make a CFL team as a QB. Surratt's athleticism could be the basis of his becoming a great WR who can play in the NFL. Similarly, in HS, Byrd ran the ball between the tackles with great power. He had bursts of speed and could punish DBs and LBs who hit him. He did not go down easily. And that's GA HS football. And we really need a 230 lb RB.

So you think Fedora, Heck, Kap, Brewer, Chad Scott, D Smith and the offensive grad assistants all watched practice and decided that Surratt/Harris had the best chance to win acc games, or that Fed simply made the decision off a "whim"?
Something is wrong with Fedora and QBs. Bad wrong. Even my wife knows that Brandon Harris sucks to high Heaven and knows why and how he sucks, and sucked his entire time at LSU.

Will Fedora be smart enough to see that if it is the case? I have doubts.

Surratt is never going to make any NFL roster as a QB. Like Marquise Williams, he probably also has no real chance to make a CFL team as a QB. Surratt's athleticism could be the basis of his becoming a great WR who can play in the NFL. Similarly, in HS, Byrd ran the ball between the tackles with great power. He had bursts of speed and could punish DBs and LBs who hit him. He did not go down easily. And that's GA HS football. And we really need a 230 lb RB.
FYI, UNC plays college football. They aren't an NFL team. That means their pro prospects mean absolutely nothing.

Something is wrong with Fedora and QBs. Bad wrong. Even my wife knows that Brandon Harris sucks to high Heaven and knows why and how he sucks, and sucked his entire time at LSU.
Renner, Williams, and Trubisky smashed records at UNC under Fedora. What are you trying to say?

That he should have started Trubisky for the last 10 years. Seriously, don't get into this argument with him. It's a black hole.
I feel like our fans think we have Alabama history. How quickly they forget the Torbush abs Bunting years and discount all the crap Larry inherited.

I feel like our fans think we have Alabama history. How quickly they forget the Torbush abs Bunting years and discount all the crap Larry inherited.
I agree that there are many fans that need to adjust their expectations and I don't think comparing Fedora to Bunting makes a lot of sense. There are also some fans that tend to lean on what Fedora had going against him more than they should in order to cover up his flaws. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
I agree that there are many fans that need to adjust their expectations and I don't think comparing Fedora to Bunting makes a lot of sense. There are also some fans that tend to lean on what Fedora had going against him more than they should in order to cover up his flaws. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
The 2019 season will really tell us what we have in LF.

Reactions: tarheel0910
2018 will tell. This team, because of injuries, has seen all kinds of guys get major experience. If Fedora cannot get things turned around next year, the the odds are very high that what we have seen is all he'll ever be. And that means that over a 6 year period he will have one 11 win team and one 2 or 3 win team, and four teams that average either 6.5 or 7 wins per season.

That is mediocre. It should not be acceptable.

What crap? He inherited a program with 5 consecutive winning seasons.

Lane Kiffin inherited a team with 8 consecutive LOSING seasons. KIffin has FAU at 6-3 in this his 1st season there.

That he should have started Trubisky for the last 10 years. Seriously, don't get into this argument with him. It's a black hole.
Just 3 and a half seasons.

Hopefully, you are not going to make a case for Brandon Harris as anything but wasted space stealing game and practice time from QBs who might develop if given enough reps, including during games.

What crap? He inherited a program with 5 consecutive winning seasons.

Lane Kiffin inherited a team with 8 consecutive LOSING seasons. KIffin has FAU at 6-3 in this his 1st season there.
Kiffin inherited a team that had the two best recruiting classes in program history the yrs prior. Coaching helps, jimmys/joes help more.

Who knows what LB will look like, or DL depth, but otherwise 2019 should be a very mature team.
SRs - Sweet, Heck, Brown, ARW, Bargas, Tucker, Dorn, Crawford, Strowbridge, Cater, Rene, Sails and lots of juniors and sophs who could be pushing these guys.

But I agree with Woad that 2018 will be a big yr for judgement. Hard to see OL or QB being amazing, but they can't be worse. Fed needs to prove that they can execute offensively, and the D can't take any steps backward. If the D regresses and the O doesn't improve greatly, then the head coach needs to go.

Reactions: randman1
Just 3 and a half seasons.

Hopefully, you are not going to make a case for Brandon Harris as anything but wasted space stealing game and practice time from QBs who might develop if given enough reps, including during games.
Recruiting sanctions, NCAA cloud that clearly hampered our recruiting efforts, bowl ban and inability to play in the ACC Championship game.

Then throw in the most snake bitten season I have ever seen this year.

2018 will tell. This team, because of injuries, has seen all kinds of guys get major experience. If Fedora cannot get things turned around next year, the the odds are very high that what we have seen is all he'll ever be. And that means that over a 6 year period he will have one 11 win team and one 2 or 3 win team, and four teams that average either 6.5 or 7 wins per season.

That is mediocre. It should not be acceptable.
6 wins next year with a young QB and notable losses on both sides of the ball is acceptable me.

Less than 9 wins in 2018 will not be acceptable to me.

Who knows what LB will look like, or DL depth, but otherwise 2019 should be a very mature team.
SRs - Sweet, Heck, Brown, ARW, Bargas, Tucker, Dorn, Crawford, Strowbridge, Cater, Rene, Sails and lots of juniors and sophs who could be pushing these guys.

But I agree with Woad that 2018 will be a big yr for judgement. Hard to see OL or QB being amazing, but they can't be worse. Fed needs to prove that they can execute offensively, and the D can't take any steps backward. If the D regresses and the O doesn't improve greatly, then the head coach needs to go.
I mostly agree with this post.

The Offense will improve, but it won't be as prolific as in years past. But again, I am never going to be worried about Offense as long as LF is here. If the defense can just get a little better, I will take it. Smith, Dalton, and Holcomb will anchor that unit. I love the added year of strength and learning for Strowbridge, Fox, Crawford, Dorn, Rene, and Sails. It could be a pretty good unit. Excited to see if Lawler flashes too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT