ADVERTISEMENT

Wood Myers transfer to NC State

He's already fitting in nicely with that Twitter snafu. Nothing like being "apart" of the "wolpfack".

Reactions: Raising Heel
Having coached youth baseball up until my kid was in middle school, I can undstsnd it. I guess my wife and I are unusual in that we never had grand ideas about our kid playing professional sports. He is good, plays on his high school football and baseball team and, until this season, played on the basketball team, too. But is he going to get a scholarship to play somewhere? No, he isn't and we are OK with that. He enjoys playing, is very competitive and we want him to enjoy playing wile he can.

I coached him I in all three sports in some capacity over the years, with the majority of my experience in baseball and football. In all three sports I was exposed to the worst parents you can imagine. One kid, who was a good 6 inches shorter and at least 30 pounds lighter than everyone on the football team, had a dad who pitched the biggest "little girl" fit you have ever seen after we lost a playoff game and his son got almost no playing time. Why? Because his "super star" all but ran in the opposite direction half the time he was on the field and the opponent had kids that were huge and beat us like a drum.

But, by FAR, the worst parents and kids were in baseball. To this day there are still kids he plays with who are convinced they will get a college scholarship to play baseball and who have bounced from showcase team to showcase team because of "lousy coaches" who "don't know what they are doing". When they do get on a team that they could help make better, they either don't like the role the coach wants them to play on the team or they underperform and can't handle the coach not catering to their sensitivities. Instead of sucking it up, working harder and facing the adversity, they quit and go elsewhere. There is no commitment in their lives from the time they start playing because their parents only want them to be the best and don't care about anything else, it is me, me and more ME all the time.

Now, I don't know if this kid is like that, but experience tells me that would be the most logical explanation.

I coach ll baseball for 27 years and gave it up because of the parent crying fits. It is a shame that they can't just let the kids have fun.

Having coached youth baseball up until my kid was in middle school, I can undstsnd it. I guess my wife and I are unusual in that we never had grand ideas about our kid playing professional sports. He is good, plays on his high school football and baseball team and, until this season, played on the basketball team, too. But is he going to get a scholarship to play somewhere? No, he isn't and we are OK with that. He enjoys playing, is very competitive and we want him to enjoy playing wile he can.

I coached him I in all three sports in some capacity over the years, with the majority of my experience in baseball and football. In all three sports I was exposed to the worst parents you can imagine. One kid, who was a good 6 inches shorter and at least 30 pounds lighter than everyone on the football team, had a dad who pitched the biggest "little girl" fit you have ever seen after we lost a playoff game and his son got almost no playing time. Why? Because his "super star" all but ran in the opposite direction half the time he was on the field and the opponent had kids that were huge and beat us like a drum.

But, by FAR, the worst parents and kids were in baseball. To this day there are still kids he plays with who are convinced they will get a college scholarship to play baseball and who have bounced from showcase team to showcase team because of "lousy coaches" who "don't know what they are doing". When they do get on a team that they could help make better, they either don't like the role the coach wants them to play on the team or they underperform and can't handle the coach not catering to their sensitivities. Instead of sucking it up, working harder and facing the adversity, they quit and go elsewhere. There is no commitment in their lives from the time they start playing because their parents only want them to be the best and don't care about anything else, it is me, me and more ME all the time.

Now, I don't know if this kid is like that, but experience tells me that would be the most logical explanation.
It's amazing the parents who think their talented but not that talented kids have the potential to play professionally. I once asked a parent "do you know how many kids from this town have made it in professional baseball in the last 50 years"?

My son's HS has had exactly 2 kids to ever make it to the pros in baseball. One was a guy who was drafted out of HS in the early to mid 90's. His oldest played ball here and graduated 2 years ago, his middle son is a year older than my youngest and he has a 3rd son in 8th grade. Anyway, guy had it made and could have gone a pretty good ways had he not let a routine injury essentially derail him. A lot of people around here say he poo'd out. I don't know, but he is a nice guy and does a lot to work with pitchers.

Other kid was drafted by the Yankees 5-6 years ago and had some nasty stuff on the mound. You may remember him for a really bad shot he took to the face this past year - Brian Mitchell. To his credit, he came back from that and has actually done quite well.

Aside from that, NO ONE has sniffed a pro contract even though this is one of the better HS baseball programs in the area and has been one of the better ones in the state more than a few times. A very scant few have gone on to play in college, mostly in lower divisions.

Still, there are kids that are certain they will get a college scholarship.

I umpire showcase baseball at the highest level and am very familiar with Wood, I umpired his team many many times. While he is not without his issues, & a little bit of a renegade, he was clearly one of the best on his team and played with the same showcase organization at least for all of his HS years, so I don't think that scenario applies to him. I do agree with you that baseball parents for the most part are out of control, & the kids are bad too, at least on the teams that don't get it. It's rare, but a lot of fun to umpire a game between 2 teams that are only truly trying to "showcase" their players & have little interest in winning the game. Always thought Myers had what it took to make it, don't know what the friction was with he & Fox (or even if that was the problem) but I was sad to see his departure.

Wood leaving was not nearly as surprising as Wood going to Moo. That's just odd under any criteria.

Reactions: Jarrod Hardy
Wood leaving was not nearly as surprising as Wood going to Moo. That's just odd under any criteria.

I can think of 2 scenarios for that. 1)From what I could tell, Wood is just the type of guy that would go there to spite Fox & to try to beat him & 2) with the showcase organization he played for, the 2 teams they feed the most are UNC & State. I'm sure he had a lot of exposure to both programs, & I'd bet, a pretty good relationship with Avent as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT