ADVERTISEMENT

Would it help if we recruited the portal hard

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
for the OL?

Some apparently think so, but I don't. Our OL already has a bunch of guys with more than enough OL potential so that many other programs would hope to get them from the portal if they put their names in.

Our OL issue is Searels. VT and Miami fans said almost exactly the same things about Searels: he quickly picks favorites and sticks with them no matter how poorly the OL plays; he seems not to develop talent - when favorites finally leave, they tend to be replaced by a new young set of favorites, whose faults are then excused because they are young and inexperienced; he apparently is happy to undersign recruits on the OL (why sign another high 3* OT when you already have 2 favorites at OT and 2 slated to be the next 2 OT favorites?).

With Searels, the inconsistent play you see now is all that will be consistent about his OLs. He will produce mediocrity over and over. His time and energy are focused on the same 7 or 8 guys until they leave the program, which means that other guys simply are never truly developed.

Can't believe Longo doesn't push the issue with Mack about getting a new Oline coach. Unless Oline dramatically improves next year then O production will be a huge issue with new QB and new RBs as Jones hopefully should not see the field.

Can't believe Longo doesn't push the issue with Mack about getting a new Oline coach. Unless Oline dramatically improves next year then O production will be a huge issue with new QB and new RBs as Jones hopefully should not see the field.
Longo is too busy trying to decide if he should slim down his playbook from 4 plays to 3.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
Exactly. A bad OL coach makes an OC look bad.

I see weaknesses with Longo, but I have no doubt that a 1st rate OL would mean our offense with Longo as OC would accrue more yards and points.

And as you note, if the OL next year is the same as, or barely better than, this year's OL, then the offense with a new starting QB could take a downturn.

Bad sergeants mean troops less than they should be, and that makes officers look bad. Bad junior officers make senior officers look bad. Bad senior officers usually are more than content with bad junior officers and could not care less about bad sergeants.

we lost 4 really good skill players on offense last season and the returning O line has under performed all season but we're still a top 10 offense. not saying everything is perfect on that side of the ball but it's pretty good.

Maybe experience through the portal would have helped. Recruiting talent isn't the problem. In my search for excuses for this team, one wants to think that you still have some experienced holdover from the previous regime that just aren't that good, yet the more talented new recruits just aren't quite ready to play in the spotlight. Maybe that is where this team is in year 3. The only plausible excuse I can come up with. But confusing for sure. How can they come out Thursdsy night and look totally clueless for a quarter and a half, then play well the rest of the game? Tells me that for whatever reason they just weren't ready coming out of the gate. Is that bad prep, or some weird mindset? But I will hold out hope that this year is just growing pains in the transition from one regimes players to another.

we lost 4 really good skill players on offense last season and the returning O line has under performed all season but we're still a top 10 offense. not saying everything is perfect on that side of the ball but it's pretty good.
I don't think we're a top 10 offense. If you dig a little deeper, you can tell things aren't pretty good.

why don't you do some digging then @tarheel0910 and let us know what you find. sure there's some things we could do better, there are some strange play calls at times, some redzone issues but if you look at the team stats across college we rank very well on offense. and total yards and points are the 2 primary ways offenses are measured but look at yards per play, 3rd down conversion rate,... and we're still generally pretty high in the ratings. but you can't look thru 25 offenses stats and find one we're bad at and then use that to say we have a bad offense. ticket gave me a list of names to replace longo and none of them other than Ohio State's guy and Wake's guy were close to Longo's numbers. it's like some people think there are 20 teams out there that score a touchdown on every drive, run up 1000 yards of offense a game and never turn the ball over or have a negative play. news flash - that's not true. it's crazy how we can have an offense ranked around 10th and a defense ranked around 110th and so many people still want to nitpick the offense and 3 or 4 plays calls a game as if they're the reason we lost. but i look forward to your findings after you dig a little deeper

Reactions: heelfan1961
Maybe experience through the portal would have helped. Recruiting talent isn't the problem. In my search for excuses for this team, one wants to think that you still have some experienced holdover from the previous regime that just aren't that good, yet the more talented new recruits just aren't quite ready to play in the spotlight. Maybe that is where this team is in year 3. The only plausible excuse I can come up with. But confusing for sure. How can they come out Thursdsy night and look totally clueless for a quarter and a half, then play well the rest of the game? Tells me that for whatever reason they just weren't ready coming out of the gate. Is that bad prep, or some weird mindset? But I will hold out hope that this year is just growing pains in the transition from one regimes players to another.
How many seasons does this regime have left? Brown has retired once and is probably the oldest active FBS coach as it is. If they ever get it humming, he'll leave like he did 25 years ago.

How many seasons does this regime have left? Brown has retired once and is probably the oldest active FBS coach as it is. If they ever get it humming, he'll leave like he did 25 years ago.

He’s the same age as Saban

In a weird way, figure Mack is on the hot seat next year. The fan base for sure, and probably his own. Mack has done what he was hired for off the field, with renewed interest, and on the recruiting trail, and his ability to bring in the money from big donors. Those have always been his strengths. But next year it is time for all of the above to pay off in wins on the field and a program that can beat most anyone. I hope for the best, but I promise other coaches are using Mack's age against him on the recruiting trail. And Mack doesn't have Sabans aura to overcome that.

i thought mack came in thinking it was for 5 years. completely turn the roster over, fix all the relationship issues, get some money in the program and establish a culture and ideally establish the next HC. he's done a lot of this already but still got a couple to go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT