ADVERTISEMENT

Would you eat it?

heelbent

Who?
Mar 12, 2003
18194995_1506742076003059_7957888117808519227_n.jpg

I ate gator when I was on a work trip in Louisiana several years ago. My company was acquiring a family-owned business and two of the sons insisted on taking us to a restaurant located on the bayou. The place was a dump but it was pretty big and loaded full of customers on a weeknight. I took that as a good sign.

We tried a lot of local food including gator, which was served cut up into cubes and fried. One of my coworkers was from Long Island and I got some pretty funny pictures of him trying the crawfish sampler (boiled, fried, etc.). He kept dipping them in his glass of water to rinse them, which the two brothers thought was the funniest thing they'd ever seen.

Anyway, the gator wasn't bad but it's not something I would seek out. I'm honestly surprised they don't serve it at McDonald's down there like they do with lobster in Maine.

Reactions: heelbent
Capybara is the largest rodent in the world, weighing up to 150 pounds. They're eaten throughout South America.

maxresdefault.jpg

7137635455_a2d2b9a81c_b.jpg

There have been sightings of capys along the banks of the Cape Fear between Fayetteville and Tar Heel.

I ate gator when I was on a work trip in Louisiana several years ago. My company was acquiring a family-owned business and two of the sons insisted on taking us to a restaurant located on the bayou. The place was a dump but it was pretty big and loaded full of customers on a weeknight. I took that as a good sign.

We tried a lot of local food including gator, which was served cut up into cubes and fried. One of my coworkers was from Long Island and I got some pretty funny pictures of him trying the crawfish sampler (boiled, fried, etc.). He kept dipping them in his glass of water to rinse them, which the two brothers thought was the funniest thing they'd ever seen.

Anyway, the gator wasn't bad but it's not something I would seek out. I'm honestly surprised they don't serve it at McDonald's down there like they do with lobster in Maine.
I love me some crawfish. Your co-worker from LI sounds like a real wanker.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
For reals? Must've hitched a ride aboard a United flight.

A guy from the Cedar Creek area of Cumberland Co. was out riding an ATV through a field a few years back when what he said was the biggest snake he's ever seen rose up out of the knee high grass to shoulder height and looked at him. Everyone was speculating that somehow a cobra had gotten loose or been released.My first thought was "sounds like a bushmaster to me." I had an up close and personal experience with a bushmaster in Panama; so personal in fact that I now consider myself a fricken' bushmaster expert, lol.

Sure enough, about a year later another guy killed what turned out to be a bushmaster in the same general vicinity of the original sighting. He said it stood up at least 5 feet tall and came straight at him and that he was so frightened at first that he almost dropped his shotgun and ran. Instead he shot the snake with a load of buckshot. After he had blown it almost in two he shot it twice more just to be certain, lol.

ETA...I found the original story on WRAL.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2909932/

Reactions: Raising Heel
I ate rattle snake in Arizona and my wife almost lost it. I like to tease her with some local cuisine when we go in the PG example beef tongue , chicken feet , Hog heads , ears etc. etc. We were in the Pig one afternoon looking for something for dinner and I came across beef tongue. I took it over to her and said "Let's try this cause I hear it's really good" , well her eyes got really big and she said "what is that , it looks like a giant cat tongue". I told her it's a cow's tongue and she starts mini-heaving and said please take it away before I throw up in the store.

A guy from the Cedar Creek area of Cumberland Co. was out riding an ATV through a field a few years back when what he said was the biggest snake he's ever seen rose up out of the knee high grass to shoulder height and looked at him. Everyone was speculating that somehow a cobra had gotten loose or been released.My first thought was "sounds like a bushmaster to me." I had an up close and personal experience with a bushmaster in Panama; so personal in fact that I now consider myself a fricken' bushmaster expert, lol.

Sure enough, about a year later another guy killed what turned out to be a bushmaster in the same general vicinity of the original sighting. He said it stood up at least 5 feet tall and came straight at him and that he was so frightened at first that he almost dropped his shotgun and ran. Instead he shot the snake with a load of buckshot. After he had blown it almost in two he shot it twice more just to be certain, lol.

ETA...I found the original story on WRAL.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2909932/
I hope you understand if I don't click that link.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT