ADVERTISEMENT

Wow - Maye on Wooden Watch list

He shouldn’t be on that list. Because he’s only a 60% FT shooter. And there’s scads of research out there that suggest guys with low FT% typically don’t make POY watch lists. A trusted NBA scout told me that.

That, in and of itself, says so much about how accomplished he has become, as well as the wisdom of doubting him.

And that is what makes Luke so great, he has been doubted his whole time here at Carolina and what does the kid do he keeps on working and working showing us how special he is and setting a great example for the rest of the team. Him being on this list is so well deserved.
I said this once before because I really do believe it and it is that Luke has had a big impact on Kenny's play this year. It is no secret that they constantly work in the gym together, something they started when they stepped foot on campus as Freshman and have continued to do to this point. More importantly though, I think he helped him mentally to have a strong mindset and to be confident in himself through the ups and downs he faced, by being by his side and showing him that by staying the course and continuing to work it will eventually pay off and that success will be something really special.
The friendship between these two I really believe will last a lifetime, there was a nice exchange between them on the bench at the end of the game the other night where it made me take a step back and smile. For one, that it was great to see the relationship that they have with each other and second, how as fans that we are very lucky to have had the chance to watch them grow into such great young men and fantastic players.

Bird's story is the perfect example of the real value of college sports and the Tar Heel Way! Nothing could be better than a nationally recognized example of the benefits of hard work! Current generations certainly need something to counter the belief that they should get something for nothing!

It is almost certain that he will not win it, but to be on the list is a testament to the character of this exceptional Family member!

This young man epitomizes the term “student athlete”. His considerable athletic skills aside, it was his character and work ethic that led me to believe he would contribute much more/sooner than many fans. I’ve always had a special affection for overachievers.

Having said that, he has exceeded my expectations. We couldn’t find a finer representative for UNC, on or off the court.

Looking at that list, I think he'll be a 2nd or 3rd team All American this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT