ADVERTISEMENT

WWDSD?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
What would Dean Smith do?

Roy learned from Dean, but Roy isn't Dean and has his own style and emphases. What do you think Dean would do with this team at this juncture in this season?

This is just for fun, guys. While some will probably see it that way, it's not an invitation to bash Roy. It's an invitation to think back and imagine how Dean would have handled a team with these skills. Who would he start, what kind of D would he use most, what set plays might he emphasize? That sort of thing. How would he handle a struggling player like Justin, or a soft player like Kennedy?

Here's one rather obvious thought: would Dean have gone to some modernized version of the Four Corners in the Louisville or Notre Dame games? Go for the quick score. If that isn't available, milk the clock and run a set play?

Against Notre Dame we lost the 3rd quarter 16-27 and lost the 4th quarter 21-27. WWDSD?

Roy learned from Dean, but Roy isn't Dean and has his own style and emphases. What do you think Dean would do with this team at this juncture in this season?

This is just for fun, guys. While some will probably see it that way, it's not an invitation to bash Roy. It's an invitation to think back and imagine how Dean would have handled a team with these skills. Who would he start, what kind of D would he use most, what set plays might he emphasize? That sort of thing. How would he handle a struggling player like Justin, or a soft player like Kennedy?

Here's one rather obvious thought: would Dean have gone to some modernized version of the Four Corners in the Louisville or Notre Dame games? Go for the quick score. If that isn't available, milk the clock and run a set play?

Against Notre Dame we lost the 3rd quarter 16-27 and lost the 4th quarter 21-27. WWDSD?
You're going a bit far with the premise, but fair question. See my second post in the stats thread for my answer.

Recruit less soft players and recruit more guys like Montross , Lynch , Rasheed Wallace , David Noel(walk on) , Danny Green.

Cuss out the refs, whine about his short bench and put the loss on Gut's record. Never mind I just reread the question. Thought you asked what another coach would do.

i AM ABSOLUTELY SURE WE WOULD BE PLAYING A LOT MORE ZONE! I think Dean would have played more zone than many of his teams did because this group picks up so many fouls with our bigs. I do think our inside scoring would be more evenly spread because Gut was gold teaching the big men. Would have loved to see what Gut could have done with Meeks and Joel James.

The other thing that I think would be very different is Dean would not scream, yell, or beg you to play hard. He had a way of looking at you and with a non-cursing manner cut you to threads and park you on the bench until you realized what playing at this level requires.

i AM ABSOLUTELY SURE WE WOULD BE PLAYING A LOT MORE ZONE! I think Dean would have played more zone than many of his teams did because this group picks up so many fouls with our bigs. I do think our inside scoring would be more evenly spread because Gut was gold teaching the big men. Would have loved to see what Gut could have done with Meeks and Joel James.

The other thing that I think would be very different is Dean would not scream, yell, or beg you to play hard. He had a way of looking at you and with a non-cursing manner cut you to threads and park you on the bench until you realized what playing at this level requires.
Excellent points.

I've seen less yelling this year. Of course JP is gone, and he seemed to get a good share of that last year. Brice seems to have improved a good bit, too, and isn't the target as much as he was last year.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with the less yelling.

COACH SMITH ALWAYS HAD SOME TRICKS HE COULD PULL OUT OF THE HAT!

COACH SMITH ALWAYS HAD SOME TRICKS HE COULD PULL OUT OF THE HAT! MOST COACHES NOW DO NOT ACTUALLY COACH THERE TEAM ANYMOME!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT