ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, recruits look at roster depth

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-sexton-recaps-visits-looks-ahead

Colin Sexton is quoted: “North Carolina was on me, but they have Jalek Felton so that would be a waste."

Rivals has Sexton at 7 and Felton at 24.

So despite being Ranked higher, Sexton is indicating away from the Heels 'cause Felton is already committed.

So yes, recruits do look at who's on the roster, who may go/stay or compete for time.

Now if only some of the Big-Man targets would use the same logic!

Disregarding the recruits that just want to clump up at a school with a roster full of 5 stars already (they know who they are), this is generally the case with most players.

Glad he got specific so there's no excuses, rather than making it obviously vague.

In a way, it's a positive quote hearing that a top 10 player is threatened by one of our recruits.

Disregarding the recruits that just want to clump up at a school with a roster full of 5 stars already (they know who they are), this is generally the case with most players.

Glad he got specific so there's no excuses, rather than making it obviously vague.

In a way, it's a positive quote hearing that a top 10 player is threatened by one of our recruits.
Anyone who thinks recruits don't look at their potential competition and it's effect on their potential PT, is crazy. It's why so many wait so long to make their decisions so they'll know who's leaving early.

Like Bur-Heel says, Jalek is ranked way too low.

Reactions: gary-7
I'm surprised he doesn't think he and Jalek would play together the backcourt. He's a PG and Jalek wants to be a PG, but Roy loves having 2 PGs in the backcourt at the same time. Could get a bit dicey if 7th also wants to play PG, but he can back up either of those guys and Roy would still have a 2-PG backcourt.

Telling the truth is sadly refreshing! I prefer this than the lying no good pretenders that keep you hanging!

I wish you well Mr. Sexton.

Reactions: Archer2
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-sexton-recaps-visits-looks-ahead

Colin Sexton is quoted: “North Carolina was on me, but they have Jalek Felton so that would be a waste."

Rivals has Sexton at 7 and Felton at 24.

So despite being Ranked higher, Sexton is indicating away from the Heels 'cause Felton is already committed.

So yes, recruits do look at who's on the roster, who may go/stay or compete for time.

Now if only some of the Big-Man targets would use the same logic!
Plus there's that pesky reality that Felton's a better player.

I wouldn't use the word threatened because it is more of a hindrance than a threatening situation. These top 10 kids believe they are one & done and the 2 main keys they look for is #1 a clear opportunity to start and as much PT as they can handle. Another solid player at the position means they are not sure if they will be able to start, PROBLEM. Even if they do start, that other players will take PT away from them, PROBLEM. They want to see the guy that started at their position last season gone and they want to be the most respected player at that position leading in to their only season of college ball. That way no one has to promise them anything but the door is swung as wide open for them as it can be.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm kind of Old School and I long for the days when being a baller meant you were willing to work for what you got; you thought team first; and you were willing to do what the coach needed to help the GROUP win. (name on the front and all that jazz)

We really are doing a disservice to our youngsters by getting them to believe from the cradle that they are better than ordinary humans.On the other hand, wow are some of them good!

But, I'm also fond of dinosaurs!

I'm kind of Old School and I long for the days when being a baller meant you were willing to work for what you got; you thought team first; and you were willing to do what the coach needed to help the GROUP win. (name on the front and all that jazz)

We really are doing a disservice to our youngsters by getting them to believe from the cradle that they are better than ordinary humans.On the other hand, wow are some of them good!

But, I'm also fond of dinosaurs!
Well, I'm right there firmly in the Old School camp with you. I'm even nostalgic about the days when we called them student athletes as opposed to athlete students which is what they should call them today. Kids actually wanted the opportunity to attend college and get a degree, knowing their chances to play pro ball would follow if they were good enough, while also realizing most of them would not be good enough. The idea of earning PT or waiting your turn is foreign to most of the better players today, it's all about instant gratification.

BTTT, Jalek is crazy good. I can't say I blame someone who may consider himself a potential OAD if he doesn't want to compete with Jalek. I honestly believe Jalek might be our first OAD in quite a while. I think he's that good. He's everything the pros are looking for in a PG, especially at his size. I selfishly hope I'm wrong. And I can already hear those who will say it would be good for UNC to have a OAD, good for recruiting future OAD's. Personally, I don't care if we ever sign another sure fire OAD. Now if someone like Jalek, who is ranked in the 20's, blows up and wants to go after one year, fine. But sure fire, top10 OAD's, I'll pass. Again, my old school values showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT