Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2002
Be objective as possible, who do you have? Here's mine:
C- Ralph Sampson
PF Tim Duncan
SF David Thompson
SG Michael Jordan
PG Chris Paul

reserves: Christian Laetner, Grant Hill, Tyler Hansbrough, Len Bias, (replacing Dave Cowens, who I had here by mistake), James Worthy
Phil Ford, Mark Price, Randolph Childress, Bobby Hurley, Hubert Davis

Had to leave off many great players, like Charlie Scott, Bobby Jones, Billy Cunningham, Wayne Ellington, Ty Lawson, Steve Blake, Danny Green, Tyler Zeller, Jay Williams, Shelden Williams, JJ Reddick, Tom McMillen, Juan Dixon, Rodney Monroe, Chris Corchiania(?), Tom Gugliotta, Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, Shane Battier, Charlie Ward, Bob Sura and more I can't think of. Definitely a deep pool to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: superstar57
Be objective as possible, who do you have? Here's mine:
C- Ralph Sampson
PF Tim Duncan
SF David Thompson
SG Michael Jordan
PG Chris Paul

reserves: Christian Laetner, Grant Hill, Tyler Hansbrough, Dave Cowens, James Worthy
Phil Ford, Mark Price, Randolph Childress, Bobby Hurley, Hubert Davis

Had to leave off many great players, like Charlie Scott, Len Bias, Billy Cunningham, Wayne Ellington, Ty Lawson, Steve Blake,
Juan Dixon, Rodney Monroe, Chris Corchiania(?), Tom Gugliotta, Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, Shane Battier, and more I can't think of. Definitely a dep pool to choose from.
Sorry, but you lost cred without Phil Ford at the top, and Cowens never played in the ACC.

Sorry, but you lost cred without Phil Ford at the top, and Cowens never played in the ACC.
True, he played at FSU, way before they were in the ACC! whoops! I changed my original post, taking Cowens off! But it's hard to argue against Chris Paul!

Chris "Nutty-Buddy" Paul is Julius Hodge's favorite opponent! He is seriously "ballin' " in the Playoffs!

Phil Ford has to be on the list!

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Sampson
Duncan
Bias
Thompson
Ford

Laettner
Worthy
Hill
Dennis Scott
Paul

Hansbrough
John Lucas
Jordan
Wally Walker
Kenny Anderson

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
For a five man team that could function together:

1) Kenny Anderson
2) JJ Reddick
3) MJ
4) Tim Duncan
5) Ralph Sampson

1) kendal Marshal
2) Randolph Childress
3) Grant Hill
4) Elton Brand
5) Rasheed Wallace

1) Chris Paul
2) Rodney Monroe
3) Len Bias
4) Christian Lautner
5) Tyler Hansbro

1) Kyrie Irving
2) Coby White
3) Vince Carter
4) Zion Williamson
5) Tyler zeller

I think if you look at both the college and pro results I would go with:

Jordan
Duncan
Thompson (ABA career)
Worthy
McAdoo

For historical perspective, here are the 15 Naismith POY Award winners from the ACC:

Zion Williamson (2019)
Tyler Hansbrough (2008)
J.J. Redick (2006)
Jay Williams (2002)
Shane Battier (2001)
Elton Brand (1999)
Antawn Jamison (1998)
Tim Duncan (1997)
Joe Smith (1995)
Christian Laettner (1992)
Danny Ferry (1989)
Johnny Dawkins (1986)
Michael Jordan (1984)
Ralph Sampson (1981, 1982, 1983)
David Thompson (1975)

For historical perspective, here are the 15 Naismith POY Award winners from the ACC:

Zion Williamson (2019)
Tyler Hansbrough (2008)
J.J. Redick (2006)
Jay Williams (2002)
Shane Battier (2001)
Elton Brand (1999)
Antawn Jamison (1998)
Tim Duncan (1997)
Joe Smith (1995)
Christian Laettner (1992)
Danny Ferry (1989)
Johnny Dawkins (1986)
Michael Jordan (1984)
Ralph Sampson (1981, 1982, 1983)
David Thompson (1975)

That’s great research & all…..but

Over half that list is dookies = fraudulent!

No Phil Ford = fraudulent!

• Love
I wanted his shooting..
In that case I would go with Matt Harpring, but Len Bias was arguably the best player to ever come through the ACC-if he hadn't made that fateful bad decision he would be a sure fire all time great in the NBA too!

Phil Ford
Michael Jordan
David Thompson
Len Bias
Ralph Sampson

Kenny Anderson
Jay Williams
Grant Hill
Christian Leattner
Tim Duncan

Mark Price
Randolph Childress
Shane Battier
Danny Ferry
Antawn Jamison

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelinfl
every top should should contain DT & Phil Ford and that shouldn't even be negotiable

And Ralph. Sampson is one of 2 players in the history of college basketball to win Naismith POY 3 years (Bill Walton). Terry Holland was just incompetent and Sampson had the misfortune of being in college the same time Dean was hitting the apex of his career and Carolina had some loaded teams. Sampson and UVa also lost a nailbiter to the moo team of destiny in 83, denying a chance for us to have watched Sampson and Olajuwon match up for a title.

Phil Ford
Michael Jordan
David Thompson
Len Bias
Ralph Sampson

Kenny Anderson
Jay Williams
Grant Hill
Antawn Jamison
Christian Leattner

Mark Price
Randolph Childress
Shane Battier
Danny Ferry
Joe Smith

I'm not picking on you here. I actually quoted your poast because I find you to be one of our more knowledgeable and rational poasters. Granted, it's a tough exercise but I have some questions:

Joe Smith over Duncan?
Ferry and Jamison over Worthy?
And Laettner has to be first team.
Childress was legit but I think UNC fans may have an inflated impression of him because of how he torched us. He doesn't make my top 15.
Where's Larry Miller?
Where's Redick?
Where's Dawkins, Cunningham, Dixon?
Anderson and Price too high for me.

ACC has had some seriously good peeps!

Hans should be in above Ferry for example, but does he supplant Laettner or Sampson assuming it is by position? Hard to leave out Worthy,Duncan, Miller, Dawkins, Cunningham, and Dixon too! Everyone who you put in must replace someone and that makes it very difficult!

Reactions: tarheelinfl
I'm not picking on you here. I actually quoted your poast because I find you to be one of our more knowledgeable and rational poasters. Granted, it's a tough exercise but I have some questions:

Joe Smith over Duncan?
Ferry and Jamison over Worthy?
And Laettner has to be first team.
Childress was legit but I think UNC fans may have an inflated impression of him because of how he torched us. He doesn't make my top 15.
Where's Larry Miller?
Where's Redick?
Where's Dawkins, Cunningham, Dixon?
Anderson and Price too high for me.
Duncan I had on first team and replaced with Bias after the fact. He should’ve been second team.

I tried not to have too many UNC guys on the list and Jamison for me is one of my all-time favorites. There are soooo many that could qualify for this list for sure.

UNC has had an embarrassment of riches if we talk about 5-6 Tar Heels before even mentioning Hans! I would take the All Tar Heel team against all ACC any day of the week! (ALL NCAA!!!)

Reactions: Heels5150
UNC has had an embarrassment of riches if we talk about 5-6 Tar Heels before even mentioning Hans! I would take the All Tar Heel team against all ACC any day of the week! (ALL NCAA!!!)
While the All Time Tar Heel team would be excellent, UCLA's version would be probably impossible to beat in a 7 game series.

No worries. I figured you guys could see what I see! They would have to make an All-Star team of the entire NCAA history to match up with our best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT