ADVERTISEMENT

Ziaire

I'd imagine the longer he holds out, the better our chances could get. Especially if the rumors about Bacot are true.

Also, I'm pretty sure Duke and Stanford are pretty much out.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Sk1310
does Zaire have a decision timeline when he may announce .. or just pull the trigger on twitter .. thoughts ………….

Reactions: TheGLOV
To answer the question from poster above...I recall some discussion on Ziaire's "decision" and I recall he had indicated spring signing period. Again, the kid is looking for the "best fit". UNC has a spot ready for him.

You would be surprised how just getting these guys this year heavy action even in a losing fashion will be gold next year..

I disagree. In fact, I could argue the opposite. The experience that some of our guys are getting this year is the kind that can break your spirit and make you question yourself.

I disagree. In fact, I could argue the opposite. The experience that some of our guys are getting this year is the kind that can break your spirit and make you question yourself.
My thoughts exactly. The last thing we need is a losing culture and loser mentality to creep into next year because so many of these guys will be back on next season’s team. Sometimes players get comfortable losing and numb to it.

Spirits Aren’t getting broken when Role players are thrust into unconventional situations, Guys are getting more playing time now then they will ever get in the future But now they lose the deer in headlights effect

Reactions: TheGLOV and RP12
Just do the Math I mean the whole entire team that played last night is coming back .. Now add 4 McDonald’s players and a 5th top 50 players

the team last night lost on the road in Double OT

so what’s the score if those 5 guys played that we’re getting ?

we win by 20

My thoughts exactly. The last thing we need is a losing culture and loser mentality to creep into next year because so many of these guys will be back on next season’s team. Sometimes players get comfortable losing and numb to it.

i would agree but not when the core of our 2005 championship team was either freshmen during 8-20 or freshmen on an NIT team

i would agree but not when the core of our 2005 championship team was either freshmen during 8-20 or freshmen on an NIT team

Right. But they all stuck around long enough to realize success gradually. They didn't go 8-20 one year and win the title the next year. They built towards that. The reason they were successful in 05 was because of the steps they took in 04 and 03.

So, if Bacot, Cole, Caleb, DayRon, Walker, RJ, and Puff all stay a couple of years and build towards that, then I can see the relation you're making. But if Bacot and Cole bolt after this year, then that gradual improvement is stunted.

Right. But they all stuck around long enough to realize success gradually. They didn't go 8-20 one year and win the title the next year. They built towards that. The reason they were successful in 05 was because of the steps they took in 04 and 03.

So, if Bacot, Cole, Caleb, DayRon, Walker, RJ, and Puff all stay a couple of years and build towards that, then I can see the relation you're making. But if Bacot and Cole bolt after this year, then that gradual improvement is stunted.

we knew before cole even got here that he would only be here a year. Bacot is a toss up. he would get eaten alive right now in the nba but like tony bradley a team will snatch him up to develop him

we knew before cole even got here that he would only be here a year. Bacot is a toss up. he would get eaten alive right now in the nba but like tony bradley a team will snatch him up to develop him

Sure. I'm aware. But I'm simply pointing out why you can't make the comparison to the core of the 2005 championship team. That core stuck around long enough to build gradual success. This one won't. That's all I was saying.

Bacot is a toss up. he would get eaten alive right now in the nba but like tony bradley a team will snatch him up to develop him
I've been assuming Armando would leave, but I'm less sure of that now.

Just think about his game against a woefully short Va Tech team. How on Earth does he only score 9 points and grab 4 rebounds in 29 minutes of play? By this time in the season, against such a height-challenged opponent, he should have had that team for lunch.

I still think there's a reasonable chance some NBA team will promise to pick him if he stays in the draft. But will it be in the first round?

Right now, NBAdraft.net lists Kansas's Azubuike as the #30 pick. He has the #1 eFG% in college ball. Would Bacot be picked ahead of him?

If he slips to the 2nd round, he'll be competing against guys like Yurtseven, Louisville's Enoch, Virginia's Diakite, and Kentucky's Richards - whom I mention because most of us are familiar with them. Where does he fit in? All those guys want to sneak into the 1st round, too.

If you are selecting for an NBA team, does Armando's ceiling look high enough to to pick ahead of those guys?

If you are Armando, do you stay in the draft if you might not even be picked in the early 2nd round - or at all?

Armando needs to prove himself. Maybe he'll do that over the rest of the season. Maybe having Cole back will improve spacing or other team factors enough to allow him to operate a lot better. But if he doesn't prove himself over the next 14 or 15 games (13 regular season plus 1 or 2 in the ACCT) I'm beginning to think the NBA folks will tell him he needs another year.

All that makes me happy, because he should be really good as a soph. We'll be better, and he'll do enough better in the next draft to have made sticking around worth it.

Bigs depend on entry passes from peeps at the right time and on target. Brooks manages to be effective despite this but he took years to develop, Bacot would love a lot better if Cole had been there the whole Tim IMO!

We know he claimed he was OAD at the start of the season, but what does that mean? My fear is that Bacot will simply declare regardless of knowing he will go very low or even undrafted and just take his chances in the D-League or overseas.

Bradley got a guarantee for a first round pick. I don't think Bacot will get anything of the sort.

Just do the Math I mean the whole entire team that played last night is coming back .. Now add 4 McDonald’s players and a 5th top 50 players

the team last night lost on the road in Double OT

so what’s the score if those 5 guys played that we’re getting ?

we win by 20

I caution folks not to assume that all the players that played in this game will be coming back. Roy is actively recruiting.

Reactions: al would
im okay with him leaving and wish him well. If he stays...I am okay with him coming off the bench. The bigs coming in are better. Brooks is better. Manley is better. My cousin bootsie is better. (not really... :)) I think he might see the writing on the wall and go to europe or to another school where he can get better shine to improve his draft stock. When he isnt in foul trouble he get alot of run, but next year he probably wont get near the minutes he is getting this year, which will hurt his stock. He goes to Coll of Charleston for example he would probably score 18ppm, cuz apparently anybody can excel there. :D He is a big body. He looks to over power people more in the past 3 weeks, his ft shooting has gotten better. But next years bigs are just better. Doesnt mean Roy wont give him a shot, but with a quick trigger, and less minutes anyway due to depth.

Bigs depend on entry passes from peeps at the right time and on target. Brooks manages to be effective despite this but he took years to develop, Bacot would love a lot better if Cole had been there the whole Tim IMO!

Well....., I just don't know about this. If my memory serves me correctly, Armando did seem to play better with Cole early in the year. Once film was available, coaches game planned Armando and we see the results.
Armando has talent, no doubt about that, what he lacks is a post game and experience.

Also, keep in mind that Cole is not the master of passing the ball either. Cole's driving to the basket resulted in most of Armando's offense when they played together. Armando needs a year or so more to develop his game. Will he be patient enough to stick around and make
himself a much better player? I guess we will see.

I caution folks not to assume that all the players that played in this game will be coming back. Roy is actively recruiting.
Who is he recruiting in the 2020 class? Anybody new? Anyone we have a good shot at?

Barring bad luck, the only position we may still need to fill is SF.

The good news at SF is that we probably won't need an SF who can shift to PF.

I know we have Puff but I'm not among those who thinks Puff will give us much as a frosh.

I also doubt if Kerwin would be a first year contributor - unless maybe he's one of those rare UNC recruits who continues to shoot well right out of HS.

I put the odds of landing Greg Brown near 0%.

That just leaves Ziaire, unless we are recruiting some new faces.

BTW, the reason I said that SF is the only position we may need to fill is because I still expect big improvements from Leaky, if he can just stay healthy and gets to have a full summer of conditioning and practice on his weaknesses. He didn't get that last summer.

Usually when a player has a list of 5 finalists and 4 of them are in 1 conference, and the 5th is fully across the country, he goes to the conference with 4 teams in his Top 5.
Josh Green was doing well at AZ the last time I checked. That could make AZ look attractive.

We had Justin and Cam, but that's old news. We have also had Nassir and Leaky since then, which isn't as compelling an argument.

Is Ziaire's game more like Justin's or Cam's, or more like Green's?

IMO Cole will stay.

He needs the seasoning.

His dad and Roy are smart enough to know that!

Bacot is OAD IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT