ADVERTISEMENT

Ziare Williams Sets Visit

Nice trip, kinda close to home, I sure hope we get him on campus in CH for an OV too.
At 50/50% for us and Stanford, I like our chances too!
Go Heels!

Nice trip, kinda close to home, I sure hope we get him on campus in CH for an OV too.
At 50/50% for us and Stanford, I like our chances too!
Go Heels!

Guess that headline is a bit misleading.

Uh, yeah....
Williams is set to take his first official visit in his recruitment as he will head to Palo Alto this weekend and visit the Stanford program.
The CH visit in December was an unofficial....
Clear it up for ya?
Still like our chances...

At least there appears to be interest on his part even though we haven't always had the best luck with left coast players. Time will tell but it sounded like he will at least make an official at some point.

He would flourish in our system and with Roy. As you said, left coast hasn't been great for the Heels, although Scott Williams and Deon Thompson were very good for us.

Has this guy been flying under the radar? I don't recall anyone posting about him being offered or about his unofficial at Late Night. And your right, talented bigs have tremendous opportunities to shine in the UNC system. I just don't understand why we've had a bit of a cold spell recruiting them lately. Maybe the new contract Roy signed will also help with recruiting .. certainly can't hurt !!

Has this guy been flying under the radar? I don't recall anyone posting about him being offered or about his unofficial at Late Night. And your right, talented bigs have tremendous opportunities to shine in the UNC system. I just don't understand why we've had a bit of a cold spell recruiting them lately. Maybe the new contract Roy signed will also help with recruiting .. certainly can't hurt !!
Actually there were many very surprised that he came, especially when it was his own dime cross country with no fan fare! While no way to know how this will play out, you have to like our chances based on his actions so far.

Not having trouble getting bigs (Bacot & Sharpe), it's the wings we seem to be missing on.

Not having trouble getting bigs (Bacot & Sharpe), it's the wings we seem to be missing on.

Really ??? We have Cam/ Nas for wings ... and in the middle we have Brooks, Miller ... just not a lot of luck with the bigs here in the last recruiting class I guess .. but Manley's injury and slow development and losing Bradley to the NBA draft were hard to anticipate. GO HEELS

Really ??? We have Cam/ Nas for wings ... and in the middle we have Brooks, Miller ... just not a lot of luck with the bigs here in the last recruiting class I guess .. but Manley's injury and slow development and losing Bradley to the NBA draft were hard to anticipate. GO HEELS

I'm talking about 2019 wings, we seem to be missing on those. Moore, Green, Mann, Boogie.......& maybe more.

I'm talking about 2019 wings, we seem to be missing on those. Moore, Green, Mann, Boogie.......& maybe more.
After watching Leary’s development I am less worried about a 2019 wing... esp if Coby stays and Cole commits

Folks need to enjoy this season, and Coby while we have him. At this point there is no reason to expect us to be this good next year. Hopefully that changes.

Reactions: RoseHeel
I see no reason to think we won't be good! In my 50 yeas of fandom, I remember exactly 1 team that wasn't at least "Good". And that team was historically dysfunctional! This is a reason to expect next year's team to be good and another is I expect to get more commitments. I also find it hard to worry about how good we will be next year when we have an enjoyable team with room to grow this year!

Optimism and Realism are the SAME thing for UNC fans!

If Roy completely wiffs he can Go the Route Keats did and get transfers, those guys are older and can play, that will hold the fort down for a year and stay relevant..

Reactions: gauchoheel
Or...we could play the hand we have and still compete. I just don't think it is reasonable NOT to expect the peeps on our team to keep growing. For example, why do we need a Wing when leaky is likely to be a 6'9" wing with PG skills by next year? Why don't we expect 1-2 of our current Bigs to grow enough to man the 4? And as someone just said, we have done pretty well with transfers the few times we have used them!

UNC will be top 3 ACC just like always next year! (Book it!)

Last edited:
Reactions: FlaTarHeel

Lately?

You mean since Tyler "WEIGHTROOM"

:)

Or...we could play the hand we have and still compete. I just don't think it is reasonable NOT to expect the peeps on our team to keep growing. For example, why do we need a Wing when leaky is likely to be a 6'9" wing with PG skills by next year? Why don't we expect 1-2 of our current Bigs to grow enough to man the 4? And as someone just said, we have done pretty well with transfers the few times we have used them!

UNC will be top 3 ACC just like always next year! (Book it!)

I respect the trust and optimism and I expect that Roy and staff will figure something out as well. But at this point we have three seniors leaving, two guys projected to be first round picks who could certainly leave, and one expected immediate contributor coming in. I love Leaky's potential but he could be our best player next year with what we have now. I'm just saying this year should be savored despite the frustration we'll have with this team at times.

I also think at the very least we're setting up a situation that new guys will play a bigger role than usual which means they're here less time if they're successful.

Last edited:
Folks need to enjoy this season, and Coby while we have him. At this point there is no reason to expect us to be this good next year. Hopefully that changes.
I sort of agree, but then everyone thought that after 2017. Recruiting rankings matter a lot, but they’re not perfect, and we should have minimum 5 top 100 players for next season anyway (Woods, Brob, Leaky, Bacot, Francis). That’s in a very pessimistic scenario where we get no one else (including transfers) and Coby/Nas both leave. That’s still enough talent for a tournament team, granted maybe not up to our highest standards.

Obviously no one saw Luke coming. Leaky looks like another potentially fantastic college player (he was ranked 65, which is good, but I think he’ll even outplay that), and tbh I think I am others have been too hard on Brooks. He’s not a great scorer nor rim protector, but he looks like he’ll be a pretty good college power forward as the third or fourth option in your offense.

So yeah, I want us to land more talent. With our low end outcome a Final Four is probably not in the cards, but I think there’s almost no way the team isn’t tournament quality next year. We’ve been a top 10 team for years (by Kenpom), so we’d have a long way to fall to be bad.

I totally agree that this year's team should be savored because it is full of high character guys that care about each other AND the name on the front of the jersey! I just don't see the reason for Tar Heels to ever expect worst case scenarios!

When has doom actually happened? Compare that to how many times the Family has exceeded expectations and you will see the basis for my optimism.

Reactions: TheGLOV and RP12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT