ADVERTISEMENT

Zion part of the corruption talk now

That article is from October of 2018. Same news from way back when. Nothing will come of it, obviously.

Trust me I bash rat face and puke every chance I get, but let's be honest some programs UNC and Puke just don't have to pay a player! Even when recruiting was down we appeared in to national championship games. K coaches Olympic team, and the greatest players in the NBA vouch for him. Not saying anyone is above wrong doing, but UNC or Puke just don't have to pay a guy because the programs are good, because Roy is good, deep breath and rat has a good record.

Trust me I bash rat face and puke every chance I get, but let's be honest some programs UNC and Puke just don't have to pay a player! Even when recruiting was down we appeared in to national championship games. K coaches Olympic team, and the greatest players in the NBA vouch for him. Not saying anyone is above wrong doing, but UNC or Puke just don't have to pay a guy because the programs are good, because Roy is good, deep breath and rat has a good record.

Recruiting was down because we WEREN'T paying players.

Can't say the same for dook during that period. Some folks on this and other boards knew this stuff was going on but got taken to task when mentioning Az, NCSU, Kansas and others were getting top recruits because the money was flowing.

LOLSATE wasn't getting a Dennis Smith (or lots of others) without cheating. those kids weren't dumb enough to go there to "play" basketball.

I still think the rumors that were starting to circulate scared Zion away from Kansas. Trouble was brewing at Louisville that had Adidas stamped all over it, and rumors that it was far deeper than Louisville. And Zion had always been a big Adidas guy. His other finalists we're UNC, Duke, and Clemson. All NIKE schools. And heard he was on some sort of social media the other night sporting Adidas gear. One figures by doing that he is setting up a bidding war for when he turns pro, but think if the Adidas issues hadn't started to blow up that he would have been at Kansas.

I kind of agree if the competition is a level playing field, we were great in recruiting in the past (meaning getting our "share" of prized recruits). It was one thing when boosters got together and kicked in money that was funneled to athletes or the "golden hand shakes" that followed many games. But compared to recruiting in todays climate, those old versions of slipping money to players is the minor leagues of cheating, the Ky, Kansas's, duke's are playing major league games of cheating.

Duke may not have to pay a kid and can rely on their blue blood status when the playing field is level but when a kid is looking at being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by companies that they WANT to partner with in the future, your blue blood clout is not enough to have them turn down the over the top $$$ being both given as well as promised in the future.

Example, Zion, now we know that Zion's dad was asking for money, a house, and a good money job. Now if the money that was going to Bowen, what later part of the top 20, was over $100K, you have to know the #1 player in the class, and a player considered by many as a generational type talent, you have to assume a player like that is able to get MUCH more than a Bowen. IN addition, we know that at very least the request for housing seems to have been met by duke, with the family moving in to the same sub division as the duke lead recruiter for Zion at the time, Jeff Capel. So if the housing demand was met, how much money demand had to be met?

Have to realize, when all this was going down, the FBI was not known to be involved, these guys carried these things out with no consideration of being caught and frankly, doubtful concern even if the NCAA were to discover it because programs like duke, Ky, Kansas are considered to be untouchable blue blood programs with a K led duke program being king of NCAA basketball.

Put that together, you have the player or at least his people demanding money, housing, and job and the programs able to compete for his services not concerned at all with being caught and Zion ends up committing to duke? Common sense tells you how that went down...Simply put, duke out bid Kansas, now maybe duke did not have to match or exceed the kansas offer, duke did have location as well as what the poster mentions with the K buddied up with NBA players ect but there is no way I am going to seriously believe the intangibles there out weighted hundreds of thousands of dollars and future relationships with apparel and sports agencies.

I still think the rumors that were starting to circulate scared Zion away from Kansas. Trouble was brewing at Louisville that had Adidas stamped all over it, and rumors that it was far deeper than Louisville. And Zion had always been a big Adidas guy. His other finalists we're UNC, Duke, and Clemson. All NIKE schools. And heard he was on some sort of social media the other night sporting Adidas gear. One figures by doing that he is setting up a bidding war for when he turns pro, but think if the Adidas issues hadn't started to blow up that he would have been at Kansas.

I don't know about whether Kansas was his final destination or not....Zion seems more like an East Coast kid who wanted to stay closer to home....If Clemson had offered his family a modest home, or funneled some money to his family through church donations; Then, I think that he would have stayed in the upstate of S.C because he visited Clemson more than any other school that was recruiting him, but Clemson apparently couldn't match the offer that he got from Duke, so he joined the "Brotherhood", and his family moved into a nearby upscale neighborhood in Durham, but I'm sure that there wasn't any recruiting violation that occurred, or a violation that can be proven, would be the best way too put it....Brownell at Clemson isn't a very good recruiter, and doesn't seem to be cheating, and you can look at his current roster to see that is the case with 4 Transfer students starting in the current lineup....The only time Clemson was relevant in basketball in this league was in 3 different eras with 3 different Head Coaches when they had Rick Barnes , Cliff Ellis and Bill Foster back when Tree Rollins was playing...Clemson fans care only about Football, Spring Football, and Football Recruiting, and Basketball is an afterthought....It's kinda funny though that Merl Code and Will Wade both had ties to the Clemson Basketball program, but apparently had not refined their "Cheating" skills while they were working with the Tigers....

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
These kids are not loyal to anything anymore, they are not going to schools just because of the name on the front of the jersey anymore!
This, very sadly, is the truth. Today, most HS basketball stars think about the money, and the quickest way to get as much of it as possible, 1st and 2nd and 3rd. Very few of them care much for things like school rivalries and traditions. It's the green that matters to them.

I think, for example, that applies to Zion 100%. If you are at Dook and you have any character beyond green-envy and green-worship, you damn well play against UNC even if you have to limp on court like Willis Reed against the Lakers with Wilt Chamberlain.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
This, very sadly, is the truth.

I think, for example, that applies to Zion 100%. If you are at Dook and you have any character beyond green-envy and green-worship, you damn well play against UNC even if you have to limp on court like Willis Reed against the Lakers with Wilt Chamberlain.
The reason he's not playing is not due to injury, it's behind the scene.

This, very sadly, is the truth. Today, most HS basketball stars think about the money, and the quickest way to get as much of it as possible, 1st and 2nd and 3rd. Very few of them care much for things like school rivalries and traditions. It's the green that matters to them.

Think K is playing games with the committee. If Zion doesn't play and Duke loses, most of the analyst still say they are a number 1 seeds. If they lose with him, maybe not.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Cam Reddish probably is looking forward to Zion coming back. Bet his tricep is pretty fatigued.

Momma and Daddy have to agree before he sees the court again, bottom line. As of last week the family couldn’t agree on it. He’s been physically ready to play for at least 10 days now. They still had not Agreed to full contact practice as of Friday afternoon. This isn’t a Dook medical team decision, it’s a Williamson family decision and candidly should be.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Momma and Daddy have to agree before he sees the court again, bottom line. As of last week the family couldn’t agree on it. He’s been physically ready to play for at least 10 days now. They still had not Agreed to full contact practice as of Friday afternoon. This isn’t a Dook medical team decision, it’s a Williamson family decision and candidly should be.
Mom and Dad should have the last say but they may change their mind if K takes the mansion away from them. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT