ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's injury / Cole's decision

ACokeForRoy

Senior
Nov 12, 2014
Sandy Springs, Ga
Given the hype and attention that Zion's injury is getting and the fact that it feeds the narrative about injuries impacting the future of star recruits, anyone feel like this could cause Cole Anthony to speed up his decision and commit sooner than planned? A serious injury to Cole or any other high level recruit could impact there recruitment. Just food for thought on a rainy, dreary Friday in Atlanta.

I don't know - I get that Zion is the biggest name recruit / NBA prospect in many many years....but there are many more - and more severe - injuries to D1 players every week, than what Zion's seem to be. And in any season, there are more severe long term (draft impacting) injuries to legit NBA prospects. I think a couple for Kansas this year come to mind.

My point is - why does everything - including high schoolers' college decisions - need to be seen through the lens of Zion world? Should all NBA prospects decide whether to go to college or not - ONLY because of what happened to one (albeit great) NBA prospect?...an incident that could have been much worse regarding long term impact, and could just as easily happen in practice or playing overseas?

Given the hype and attention that Zion's injury is getting and the fact that it feeds the narrative about injuries impacting the future of star recruits, anyone feel like this could cause Cole Anthony to speed up his decision and commit sooner than planned? A serious injury to Cole or any other high level recruit could impact there recruitment. Just food for thought on a rainy, dreary Friday in Atlanta.
No

Reactions: franklin street
You do everything you can to be wise and prepare and maintain your body to avoid the careless and avoidable injuries. But when you're a basketball player, you just go out and play. It becomes so much a natural part of you. It's what you do, and you do it all the time. I could be wrong but most basketball players who live a big chunk of their life in countless gyms, practicing or playing in countless games, really don't worry too much about injury.

Reactions: Heelicious
The world has changed for those blessed by God at birth with the talents that just screamed lottery pick by the time they we're 16 years old. And in most cases it is a business decision that I can't blame them for. And I can tell you exactly where it started. It started in Columbia, SC one fall afternoon when the whole nation saw a sure fire future NFL player by the name of Marcus Lattimore, with nothing left to do in college to prove his worth, laid on the field with his leg bent the wrong way and his career over in one instant. That one play put a seed in these guys heads that once they had earned their props to guarantee their draft status and really had no upside left to gain, why take undo risks?

The opening post is a little confusing, but I think I understand. No Zion's injury doesn't speed up a college decision for a Cole Anthony. Cole could break his leg, and every program in the nation would want him more for the simple fact he may have to stay two years. Knock on wood I hope he stays healthy.

When your say a Freshman and a 3-4 star player and a UNC makes an offer you should jump on it because if your hurt we may back off, but 5 star prospect is getting attention no matter what.

Zion and injury, it's sports! Zion or any other elite prospect could simply sit out. If you say your going to play then play. We get upset with our kids if they quit on there team in the middle of a season, I would be mad at Zion if he quit on his team (I would understand if he quit being a Dukie however. Lol)

Bowl games in college that mean nothing is the only thing I understand a player saying they will sit out on. Football to risky for a meaningless bowl game.

A injury now would just make him rehab and skip the year in college all together if anything. That is the goal, his remaining year in high school and his OAD year in college is work toward that goal. A injury only pertains to that pursuit, not his current college suitors.

Zion's injury could have happened stepping off a curb crossing the street. I think the NBA finally putting lowering the age of entry on the table is a much more impactful event. The timing of that announcement just may correlate to Sliced Bread's "disaster" though.

Reactions: Heels5150
So...I guess I am not as high on Cole Anthony as a lot of people. Yes a great pedigree, but he hasnt exactly been tearing it up this year at Oak Hill. He is routinely outscored by Cam Thomas. (why arent we looking at this 2020 guard). He has missed a lot of games this year (is there an injury that isnt being reported or is he chronically sick). Something just seems fishy to me. I think if he comes here he is gonna be a nice piece of the puzzle, but if he doesnt we will fill that Gap with someone.

Not saying the kid isnt talented...but he hasnt showed up in the box score like the Superstar that people are making him out to be. Since "potential" is what most of the prognosticators recruit on, I am just wondering if he has topped out and maybe being surpassed by others. I have seen him play a couple times (Youtube videos) and he there are some highlight worthy clips, but I see a guy that kind of disappears. Most superstars are the focal point and catalyst for their team and on Oak Hill his scoring is a 2nd or 3rd option...when he is playing. Lot of Box Scores without his name in it.

Not saying the kid isnt talented...but he hasnt showed up in the box score like the Superstar that people are making him out to be. Since "potential" is what most of the prognosticators recruit on, I am just wondering if he has topped out and maybe being surpassed by others. I have seen him play a couple times (Youtube videos) and he there are some highlight worthy clips, but I see a guy that kind of disappears. Most superstars are the focal point and catalyst for their team and on Oak Hill his scoring is a 2nd or 3rd option...when he is playing. Lot of Box Scores without his name in it.
He is a true pg... he is not going to be the leading scorer on a team full of d1 prospects as the pg

So...I guess I am not as high on Cole Anthony as a lot of people. Yes a great pedigree, but he hasnt exactly been tearing it up this year at Oak Hill. He is routinely outscored by Cam Thomas. (why arent we looking at this 2020 guard). He has missed a lot of games this year (is there an injury that isnt being reported or is he chronically sick). Something just seems fishy to me. I think if he comes here he is gonna be a nice piece of the puzzle, but if he doesnt we will fill that Gap with someone.

You're incredibly wrong. How about some facts:

He's being outscored by Cam (who is a phenomenal prospect himself) because teams key on Cole and Cole is unselfish. Cole has 9 games this season with 10+ assists. He missed a month with a sprained ankle, he's not "chronically sick" which is just a weird place to go with it. Averaging nearly 18/10/10 and his slashes are great 50/37/88. He's a McD AA based on him tearing it up this season.

He's one of the best PG prospects in the past 10 years.

You're incredibly wrong. How about some facts:

He's being outscored by Cam (who is a phenomenal prospect himself) because teams key on Cole and Cole is unselfish. Cole has 9 games this season with 10+ assists. He missed a month with a sprained ankle, he's not "chronically sick" which is just a weird place to go with it. Averaging nearly 18/10/10 and his slashes are great 50/37/88. He's a McD AA based on him tearing it up this season.

He's one of the best PG prospects in the past 10 years.
Good to hear. I said I didnt know if he was injured or chronically sick (like the flu or Mono or Felton-itus). Glad to hear it was just an injured ankle.

As a freshman? Berry also wasn't a great passer either, he was more of a scoring PG, which was the point of Raider's post.

He never really developed into a passer. Last year he was 3 A : 2 TO. Slightly better is junior year 3.6 A : 2 TO. 3.8 A : 1.5 TO as a sophomore in his best passing season. He was definitely more of a 2 guard who initiated the offense some times.

Cole Anthony is a true PG who plays on a elite HS team with prolly another 9 eventual D1 players. I am not familiar with his stats, but with another poster mentioning his games with 10 plus assist, and his height your looking at a really good PG. If White stays and our big men another year under there belt, I am surely high on Anthony if he comes.

Cole has the option to opt for the D-League next year and make $125,000. Apparently, he thinks spending one year in college is a better option (for now).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT