ADVERTISEMENT

“The System”

Quest4Seven

Junior
Feb 25, 2019
It’s getting exhausting hearing that the game has passed Roy by or that you cant win games in this offensive system

the beauty of the game is that every strategy has its pros and cons and especially in the tournament you see all the games with conflicting styles going against each other

make no mistake, you can win running ANY system, it comes down to how well you execute it and how well your players mesh into it. This year we basically had one reliable shooter in Walton and our bigs had zero range outside of the paint, essentially turning our halfcourt offense into a quarter court offense. When weve surrounded our big men with shooters and teams couldnt pack in the paint weve seen how effective the offense can be. The same people whining about having to go to small ball are the same people that were probably complaining 3 years ago when we ran into Texas A&M and their 2 big men and we got slaughtered because we had to answer for them. This system that everyone seems to think is outdated was in back to back title games 4 and 5 years ago and was in the mix for another one two years ago. You look at all 3 of those teams and the 2 biggest differences are those teams had multiple shooters and the big men could extend their range out to at least 15 feet. This year we had one reliable shooter and essentially 4 centers. As important as point guard is, having a legitimate “stretch” big plays just as important a role. Go back through every successful team weve had and look at the 4 position and the skillset. Marvin/Jawad both had stretch 4 skills. The Hansbrough/Thompson pair was essentially 2 power forwards, Zeller/Henson pair both had great mid range skills for bigs, Brice/Meeks same deal and having Luke Maye be a legit 3 point threat was key too

this year was a bad mix of personnel, Im not ready to burn Roy at the stake yet. Find legitimate point guards (not combo scorers) surround them with shooters on the wing, and hope whichever bigs that come back develop a reliable mid range game

side note having more versatile bigs will also help alot on the 3 point defense as well. Need to have at least 1 big capable of being able to switch at the top of the key

A number of years ago - during the "NCAA Cloud" - I pointed out that Roy had offered 6 high-ranked, good-shooting SGs and CGs (mostly SGs). And they all turned us down.

I don't think it was just the NCAA Cloud, either. We haven't had that many good outside threats for a decade. Sure, a couple of them. Marcus comes to mind. Kenny had one good year. BRob finally put it together. But very few big-time outside threats in our back court.

Even now, our best outside threat almost seemed like a last minute thought. Fans were excited about getting Cam's brother - forgetting that it took Cam 6 season to get that good (partly due to injuries, but still) - and most pretty much wrote off Kerwin.

Thank goodness we didn't stop recruiting before getting Kerwin. Imagine this last season without him!

A number of years ago - during the "NCAA Cloud" - I pointed out that Roy had offered 6 high-ranked, good-shooting SGs and CGs (mostly SGs). And they all turned us down.

I don't think it was just the NCAA Cloud, either. We haven't had that many good outside threats for a decade. Sure, a couple of them. Marcus comes to mind. Kenny had one good year. BRob finally put it together. But very few big-time outside threats in our back court.

Even now, our best outside threat almost seemed like a last minute thought. Fans were excited about getting Cam's brother - forgetting that it took Cam 6 season to get that good (partly due to injuries, but still) - and most pretty much wrote off Kerwin.

Thank goodness we didn't stop recruiting before getting Kerwin. Imagine this last season without him!

the funny thing about college basketball is that most teams are really not that well coached and most will get in their own way if you let them. Feels like 50% of winning college bball games is simply making wide open shots and not turning the ball over. Hell Dook won a title with Jon Scheyer playing point guard. He couldnt beat Kennedy Meeks off the dribble but he was a dead eye shooter and went like a month without a turnover

It’s getting exhausting hearing that the game has passed Roy by or that you cant win games in this offensive system

the beauty of the game is that every strategy has its pros and cons and especially in the tournament you see all the games with conflicting styles going against each other

make no mistake, you can win running ANY system, it comes down to how well you execute it and how well your players mesh into it. This year we basically had one reliable shooter in Walton and our bigs had zero range outside of the paint, essentially turning our halfcourt offense into a quarter court offense. When weve surrounded our big men with shooters and teams couldnt pack in the paint weve seen how effective the offense can be. The same people whining about having to go to small ball are the same people that were probably complaining 3 years ago when we ran into Texas A&M and their 2 big men and we got slaughtered because we had to answer for them. This system that everyone seems to think is outdated was in back to back title games 4 and 5 years ago and was in the mix for another one two years ago. You look at all 3 of those teams and the 2 biggest differences are those teams had multiple shooters and the big men could extend their range out to at least 15 feet. This year we had one reliable shooter and essentially 4 centers. As important as point guard is, having a legitimate “stretch” big plays just as important a role. Go back through every successful team weve had and look at the 4 position and the skillset. Marvin/Jawad both had stretch 4 skills. The Hansbrough/Thompson pair was essentially 2 power forwards, Zeller/Henson pair both had great mid range skills for bigs, Brice/Meeks same deal and having Luke Maye be a legit 3 point threat was key too

this year was a bad mix of personnel, Im not ready to burn Roy at the stake yet. Find legitimate point guards (not combo scorers) surround them with shooters on the wing, and hope whichever bigs that come back develop a reliable mid range game

side note having more versatile bigs will also help alot on the 3 point defense as well. Need to have at least 1 big capable of being able to switch at the top of the key
Perfect post! I don't want to see Carolina become one of those teams that shoots 25-30 three point shots each game. I have said numerous times in these forum's that this team lacked a
" skilled 4" and I agree with your assessment. Truth is the 2 big system is the preferred system of National Champions ( Easy to look up) but the 1-3 spots can't be as frustratingly inconsistent as ours was this season.

I am not sure if "the system" matters. It is all about talent, and a staff being able to corral that talent into what they want them to do. Last years team didn't have the talent. This years team had talent but rarely seemed to execute as one figures they were coached to do. Running the sideline break after made baskets, which has always been a staple, was basically non existent this year. And it isn't that difficult of a concept. You see Roy on the sidelines cranking that arm trying to get them too push it, while Caleb leisurely dribbles up the court. I don't know what it is, but the message isn't getting through for some reason

We've had 2 straight years of newcomer-dominated teams. That won't happen next year.

I doubt we'll ever see 2 new guys on the court at the same time. Certainly not 3 or 4.

That alone might be enough to fix many of our problems.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Jesus H. Christ thank you for saying it when no one else will.
Jesus H. Christ thank you for saying it when no one else will.

There are 9 players on this team that were top 100 players in their high school class. If you asked any coach in America “if we give you 9 top 100 players can you win?” I bet all would say yes. No one forced Roy to play Brooks and Platek

Watching Houston tonight was a revelation. Kelvin Sampson is a genius. Can they shoot? NO. Are they great passers or dribblers? NO. Do they have size? NO. Do they defend like rabid hyenas? YES. Do they believe that they will win? YES

I know it’s been stated before but I think we waste to much time on players... Instead of Sallis who is a combo should have looked at JD Davison probably best passer in 2021 and crazy athletic going to Bama should have looked at a regional guy like Matthew Cleveland going to FSU. It’s hoopers at every level and especially further down the top 100. The system has won so many games but you have to be willing to make adjustments if things not working and a lot of times the system wasn’t working. Love and Davis would have been a lot better with high pick and rolls and turn the corner think it would have took away the extra dribbling on perimeter trying to force the ball in the post. That’s just my opinion though Roy is great and things should be better with summer school and extra time during the summer. If people plan to leave I hope they say it early it’s a few guys transferring and maybe about to decommit that could help day 1 or in the future need to get guys who are bought in and are winners. Granted if we make a few more FTS a couple games and limit TO UNC actually wins 3-4 more games and I think it would have been less criticism on team.

Reactions: bobcrane14
...50% of winning college bball games is simply making wide open shots and not turning the ball over....
patiently working for a good shot, guys constantly moving (not standing around), and relying on your point guard (which we don't have) to get everybody involved in the offense instead of the first guy who touches the ball throws it up.

Roy’s defensive principals are awful for the modern game where there are shooters 1-4 on many levels. Just plain awful. That being said, his offensive system is a good system.....if and only if you have a speedy high asst:to point guard, an elite big scorer, secondary rebounder and a big time shooter. It’s all about personnel. Roy hasn’t had the personnel to run his system the last 3 years but he’s continued to try to fit a square peg in a round hole, rather than adapt to what he has. He’s not good at all in that regard.

Last edited:
Roy’s defensive principals are awful for the modern game where there are shooters 1-4 on many levels. Just plain awful. That being said, his offensive system is a good system.....if and only if you have a speedy high asst:to point guard, an elite big scorer, secondary rebounder and a big time shooter. It’s all about personnel. Roy hasn’t had the personnel to run his system the last 3 years but he’s continued to try to fit a square peg in a round hole, rather than adapt to what he has. He’s not good at all in that regard.
To be fair isn't that his own fault though? If he foe

im beginning to think we should just recruit only three or four year players that fit the system--after two years you would have teams dominated by juniors and seniors--whom we know and enjoy-- and have freshmen and sophomores in waiting learning the ropes ready for their turn. it would be a painful two years of mediocre basketball waiting for them to mature to juniors and seniors but at least there would be light at the end of the tunnel. seems like we are perpetually stuck in the tunnel now.

im beginning to think we should just recruit only three or four year players that fit the system--after two years you would have teams dominated by juniors and seniors--whom we know and enjoy-- and have freshmen and sophomores in waiting learning the ropes ready for their turn. it would be a painful two years of mediocre basketball waiting for them to mature to juniors and seniors but at least there would be light at the end of the tunnel. seems like we are perpetually stuck in the tunnel now.
We had a few of those uppers this year as well.

not sure i agree with that. You have to assume that any Top 50 recruit you get (unless very undersized or not a good athlete) at least has a chance of being one and done. The only players weve recruited in the last 10 years that we knew were OAD before they even got to campus were Nassir Little and Cole Anthony

not sure i agree with that. You have to assume that any Top 50 recruit you get (unless very undersized or not a good athlete) at least has a chance of being one and done. The only players weve recruited in the last 10 years that we knew were OAD before they even got to campus were Nassir Little and Cole Anthony
Two of the most forgettable players to ever wear the uniform.

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT