ADVERTISEMENT

2017 seems like sooo long ago

Bubspub88

Hall of Famer
Jun 2, 2006
Wasn't able to watch last night (thankfully) and have already deleted off dvr. I was just thinking about the good old days when late February rolled around and UNC was wondering whether they'd be a top seed playing sweet 16 rounds locally or were getting shipped out west. This bubble crap sucks. I guess I am spoiled. Selection Sunday is supposed to be wondering which Cinderella could end the season not whether or not you get invited. That's for the state and 'cuse fans. One and dones and so many players leaving early has ruined college basketball for me.

Dating back to the beatdown we took in the 2019 NCAA tournament, it has been an obvious decline with this program ever since and I am not seeing necessary adjustments being made. And honestly, next year's team will not be much better and could even be worse depending on the offseason departures. It is hard to fathom two straight years, maybe even three straight years without making the NCAA tournament.

Wasn't able to watch last night (thankfully) and have already deleted off dvr. I was just thinking about the good old days when late February rolled around and UNC was wondering whether they'd be a top seed playing sweet 16 rounds locally or were getting shipped out west. This bubble crap sucks. I guess I am spoiled. Selection Sunday is supposed to be wondering which Cinderella could end the season not whether or not you get invited. That's for the state and 'cuse fans. One and dones and so many players leaving early has ruined college basketball for me.
You hit the nail right on the head. Just like Dayron Sharpe. He's no more ready to play in the NBA right now then I am but I'm sure he will go. I still follow recruiting closely and watch all the games but it isn't near the same anymore. I just see kids all across the sport just going through the motions until they can leave. It's flat out awful basketball.

Same here. Selection Sunday is / was a literal family holiday in our household, with good food, fun looking at our bracket....are we a 1 or 2 seed? Who would we match up with on second weekend, (barring massive upset).....

now, if we don't make the touney or are one and done, then it just ruins it for me. I guess that is spoiled. To expect great or good things every year.

I just don't see us on a track to make things better in the near future.... part of it is on the game passing Roy by to some extent and he doesn't seem as invested, and is maybe the most stubborn person you'll ever see about not changing with the game changing.....

but a bigger part is the me-first, how do I get to the show fastest attitude of the 5 star overhyped players. Like @strummingram said, OAD and NBA has ruined college BB. I wish kids were obligated to stay thru junior year, or at least thru soph, or go directly to NBA, G league, overseas out of high school. It would solve a lot in restoring the college (and NBA) game, IMO.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Same here. Selection Sunday is / was a literal family holiday in our household, with good food, fun looking at our bracket....are we a 1 or 2 seed? Who would we match up with on second weekend, (barring massive upset).....

now, if we don't make the touney or are one and done, then it just ruins it for me. I guess that is spoiled. To expect great or good things every year.

I just don't see us on a track to make things better in the near future.... part of it is on the game passing Roy by to some extent and he doesn't seem as invested, and is maybe the most stubborn person you'll ever see about not changing with the game changing.....

but a bigger part is the me-first, how do I get to the show fastest attitude of the 5 star overhyped players. Like @strummingram said, OAD and NBA has ruined college BB. I wish kids were obligated to stay thru junior year, or at least thru soph, or go directly to NBA, G league, overseas out of high school. It would solve a lot in restoring the college (and NBA) game, IMO.

Great poast. I agree. To elaborate on the OAD, it's not so much the rule itself and guys going (when they're ready), but the residual effect is that kids are now planning to only be in college for 1 year. That's the real issue. When it happens organically, like it did with Coby, I don't think anyone sees anything wrong with that. But when you encourage guys to only be in school 1 year, you're promoting a culture of not fully buying in. Kids come to school and if they don't like their playing time or they don't like the coach getting on them or they don't immediately get along with teammates or whatever, they know they're going to be done with it in 6 months (or now they just opt out midseason) so they're really just biding their time. How can you be invested in team goals when you know you're bouncing as soon as you are? Furthermore, it's doing more of an injustice to building the player as a person than as a basketball player. Essentially, what it says to the masses is the only thing that's important is you getting paid. That's a poor lesson to teach kids. And yes, 18-19 year olds are kids. More kid like today than 18-19 year olds were 50 years ago.

Reactions: Heelicious
our team 2 years ago was a popular national title favorite. caught a team in the sweet 16 that played the game of their lives while half our team had the flu. that team had all the pieces to win the title but the gift and the curse of the tournament is you only get one shot. our 2018 team definitely overachieved as no one really thought they could win the whole thing but they still almost won the ACC tournament and was a 2 seed. pretending we havent been a juggernaut since 2017 just isnt true

One and dones and so many players leaving early has ruined college basketball for me.
For me and many others as well. The NBA could stop this nonsense in a heartbeat, but as long a they wave the money out there you can look for kids to jump at it. (The G-League has made the problem even worse - kids who know they aren't ready for the NBA can still play for pay.)

The evolution of OAD has changed the college game to a disheartening level. Many of the pertinent reasons and issues have already been thoroughly described. Our team plays without the "fire in the belly" that develops among players who aren't just lacing them up for a future paycheck. The best era of Carolina basketball has probably vanished; its return is doubtful. Sad.

I don't know. It's frustrating to watch. Obvious that Caleb, and Anthony last year, basically used their freshman year to audition for the NBA. It worked for Anthony, though to the detriment of UNC. Dont think it is working out so well for Caleb. I can't see anybody with a brain that would draft him in the first round. But these GMs get their gigs by who they know rather than what they know in most cases.

Simple answer: Make freshmen ineligible. It worked for many years.
It worked fifty years ago; That can't, won't, and shouldn't be the solution. Those freshman should be allowed to participate in basketball just like freshman are allowed to participate in EVERY NCAA sport in all three divisions.

Last edited:
It might just cause the NBA to further fund and develop a real minor league system instead of letting the NCAA foot the bill. Will the top players skip college. Probably. There will still be quality basketball, close rivalry games and rabid fans who live and die on the success of their school. And kids who actually want (and need) an education might get one who would not have been able to afford one otherwise. That's sort of why we fund higher education to begin with isn't it?
Another perhaps more difficult problem is the addiction of the colleges to the TV and branding cash. They've been blaming the NBA for O&D when they have the power to make whatever rules they want and if they can require freshman to live on campus they can also limit the travel and practice time that takes those players away from their studies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT