ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting thread

With a few fish left in the pond hopefully we can reel some big ones in to finish strong in February.

With a few fish left in the pond hopefully we can reel some big ones in to finish strong in February.
I saw somewhere that one of the recruiting coordinator type of people stated, on signing day, that we'd probably end up with 19 to 21, so maybe 4 to 6 more.

So I'll take Barnes, Dax, Warren Thompson, Mychale Sallahudin, Sandidge, and Chatman.

Reactions: uncboy10
I saw somewhere that one of the recruiting coordinator type of people stated, on signing day, that we'd probably end up with 19 to 21, so maybe 4 to 6 more.

So I'll take Barnes, Dax, Warren Thompson, Mychale Sallahudin, Sandidge, and Chatman.

Wishful thinking

Apparently we lead for 3* Kavosiey Smoke. He's a bigger back, like Javonte and Antwuan Branch, but how many RBs do we need on the roster?
Stanton Truitt - Gr Sr
J Sutton - RS Jr
Jordan Brown - Jr
Michael Carter- Soph
Antwuan Branch - RS Fr
Javonte Williams
Devon Lawrence

seven already for 2018

Reactions: grillheel
I agree blazers, the RB position seems full - unless they are looking at someone for a position change. Bigger needs elsewhere

Reactions: grillheel
Signing this many would allow lbs to rotate back to lb
Sutton was the only former LB in my list. Let's Stanton Truitt exclusively play A-back, That would still make it 6-deep

Jordan Brown - Jr
Michael Carter- Soph
Antwuan Branch - RS Fr
Javonte Williams
Devon Lawrence
GUY TO BE NAMED, like Smoke or Mychale, etc.

I wonder if they have different plans for several of the guys, or if injuries really hurt Branch, etc.

Apparently we lead for 3* Kavosiey Smoke. He's a bigger back, like Javonte and Antwuan Branch, but how many RBs do we need on the roster?
Stanton Truitt - Gr Sr
J Sutton - RS Jr
Jordan Brown - Jr
Michael Carter- Soph
Antwuan Branch - RS Fr
Javonte Williams
Devon Lawrence

seven already for 2018
We play 1 RB at a time, and Fedora clearly does not come close to over-using the RB position. So I'd say 7 is plenty.

We play 1 RB at a time, and Fedora clearly does not come close to over-using the RB position. So I'd say 7 is plenty.
The Fed spread uses many two-Rb sets and many two-TE sets (usually both aren't attached). Not sure what team you've been watching since 2012.

Reactions: lerario
Chatman visiting VT this w/e. I think he was supposed to visit mia, fsu, mich state only , but apparently things are still very fluid for him:

I think VT is pushing for his buddy Anthony Grant too.

Welcome Ricky Miezan. Can we count him as a lacrosse commit? I kid I think that is now impossible

Welcome Ricky Miezan. Can we count him as a lacrosse commit? I kid I think that is now impossible
Do you mean for scholarship purposes? If so, then no he can't be counted as a lacrosse commit. The scholarship will come from the football allotment.

I thought I read something that said otherwise but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

First year he will be on lacrosse scholarship with the opportunity to earn a football scholarship his second year at UNC.

First year he will be on lacrosse scholarship with the opportunity to earn a football scholarship his second year at UNC.
So he's not playing football his first year? The bylaws appear to state that he would have to be on a football scholarship if he sets foot on the field.

Makes me wonder if he can go thru things like camp (fall or spring), like a redshirt or walk-on, but just not be put onto the official 105-man roster (the way a normal redshirt or walk-on would).

But then that seems like a loop-hole if you "redshirt" the fballer while taking a scholaship from somewhere else for that "redshirt" yr.

Due to bear byrant oriented rules, if you play a down of football, you count toward that yr's fball scholarships rather than some other sport like track, lax, etc, so we can assume he won't be playing a rep. Still unclear practice and camp-wise.

Do y'all like green barns? I always thought green barns would look good in Chapel Hill. I think they would be montilus, dang spell check, I mean marvelous.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Do y'all like green barns? I always thought green barns would look good in Chapel Hill. I think they would be montilus, dang spell check, I mean marvelous.
Yes, wink-wink. Roger that.

Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?

Probably.
Then this O is probably going to be really good in 2019. Thomas Jackson and TE Fritts are the only guys set to graduate next yr. Probably no early entrants.

2019 team will only graduate Brown, ARW, Polino, Sweet, Heck, Elliot, Tucker, Bargas, but if we can develop tackles McKethan and Barnes and a backup TE, then that 2020 O will be stacked too.

Reactions: heelbent
Due to bear byrant oriented rules, if you play a down of football, you count toward that yr's fball scholarships rather than some other sport like track, lax, etc, so we can assume he won't be playing a rep. Still unclear practice and camp-wise.
Bryant was far from the only coach who did that. In fact, it apparently wasn't just football coaches. Bryant people said that Rupp did it at UK, to make certain his freshman team always had at least 10 top HS players.

I saw a late case of it at the end of Rupp's career. I'm from TN, and in the old days, the Ohio Valley was 4 TN schools and 4 KY schools. Often, guys Rupp got a scholarship for the freshman year in baseball or track/field who were not good enough for UK varsity hoops but were too promising for D2 would end up at a KY OVC school. But this one year, 2 of those Rupp freshman players who had a scholarship in another sport ended up in the TN OVC as Sophs: one at Tennessee Tech and the other at Middle Tennessee. Each player was a dud in the OVC, but each caused great excitement initially because of having played on Rupp's freshman team.

Allegedly, Rupp had learned the practice at KU. Bud Wilkinson did it at OU at the same time Bryant was mastering the process at A&M and Rupp had it mastered at UK. In fact, Wilkinson was resented by many old time OU baseball fans because they felt he greatly harmed OU baseball, allowing OK St's program to rise.

So I say the rule should be known as the Big 8 Rule.

Miezan can fully participate in practice with the football team and basically redshirt while on Lacrosse scholarship. He only counts as a FB scholly if he actually plays in a game.

Best OL recruit we've had in a loooong time, probably since James Hurst back in 09

So he's not playing football his first year? The bylaws appear to state that he would have to be on a football scholarship if he sets foot on the field.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe this is how it would work

Miezan would be on lacrosse scholarship, and count as a walk on in football (he can practice and play)

The only way he would have to be counted on a football scholarship, if he was deemed a "recruited" athlete for football. Meaning -He took an official football visit, had an in home visit from the football staff, and signed a letter of intent,or financial aid package. Per Bylaws 15.5.9.1 and 15.02.8

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=25686
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?bylawId=25679

This would make sense, as hypothetically, they don't want a football team to go full force recruiting a 5 star athlete, and he only counts toward a water polo scholarship. Think of how many 5 star's Nick Saban could get then..lol

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe this is how it would work

Miezan would be on lacrosse scholarship, and count as a walk on in football (he can practice and play)

The only way he would have to be counted on a football scholarship, if he was deemed a "recruited" athlete for football. Meaning -He took an official football visit, had an in home visit from the football staff, and signed a letter of intent,or financial aid package. Per Bylaws 15.5.9.1 and 15.02.8

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=25686
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?bylawId=25679

This would make sense, as hypothetically, they don't want a football team to go full force recruiting a 5 star athlete, and he only counts toward a water polo scholarship. Think of how many 5 star's Nick Saban could get then..lol

After discussing this with a couple of different people on this site, it appears that the rule is he can only be on the lacrosse scholarship his freshman year if he doesn't play. He can still practice though. Think of it like a redshirt year.

ADVERTISEMENT