ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting thread

We have 5 qb's on roster now we don't need one this yr. Trust me recruits see that number for comparisons Florida State has 3 qb's and are not to keen on just taking any and all this yr.

We have 5 qb's on roster now we don't need one this yr. Trust me recruits see that number for comparisons Florida State has 3 qb's and are not to keen on just taking any and all this yr.
Yeah I'll admit my worry stems strictly from the fact we haven't found our stud QB1 yet. I wasn't worried about QBs at all when Marquise was QB1 because we knew Trubisky was the heir apparent. Now, the future is unknown

NFL Mocks
marquise-williams-ncaa-football-quick-lane-bowl-rutgers-vs-north-carolina-590x900.jpg

Marquise Williams, QB, North Carolina: 2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report
36b5ebd95bcdf3ca7d17bbf5d81f6298
by Raekwon Gilbert62w ago

When college football fans talk about how certain players help change the face of the program, they tend to talk about guys that perform at the highest level on the biggest stages. Players that help take their team from a bypass schedule team to a top-15 ranked school in the nation. In 2015, there were players that were able to do what quarterback Marquise Williams was able to do at the University of North Carolina.

Player Overview:

Started in 33 career games for North Carolina with more than 20 school records to his names which includes most career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (35), had a hand in 99 touchdowns, and most career rushing yards by a quarterback in school history (2,458). Threw for 3,072 passing yards, 24 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions with 61.3% passing completion.

Player Info

Senior

Measurables: 6-2 225lbs

Strengths

There aren’t too many players in college football that can bring a balanced of attack of both passing and running the football but it seems that Marquise Williams has no problem doing both. Williams has been able to play at an consistent level each year as a starter because of two things: his offensive line and his natural ability to feel the field. He doesn’t get caught too off guard by defenses and not because he shows great defense recognition (not saying he can’t do that either) but he naturally understands timing in the game which helps him in the long run down the road.

I don’t feel that he’s one of the better passers in the nation but his arm strength is clearly seen each time he throws down the field. His passes may not always be the most accurate but he does have a great touch on the ball.

It's not about how many QBs we have this, but the yr when the kid will be on frosh or rs frosh.

FSU will have Deondre (same yr as elliot), JJ Cosentino and Bailey Hockman next yr.

We'll have Elliot, Byrd, Surratt.

So we both have 3 next yr

3* Jace Ruder supposedly got an offer from FSU and is visiting them prior to visiting us. They are recruiting Justin Fields (of course everyone would take him). Anyway, it sounds like fsu could take a qb this cycle.

Well Francois was a very high 4 star ditto cosentino but he is a senior so fsu will probably take a QB now that I look at it but the qb offer is contingent upon him impressing fisher when he throws for him. I don't think it's a committable offer yet.

It's not about how many QBs we have this, but the yr when the kid will be on frosh or rs frosh.

FSU will have Deondre (same yr as elliot), JJ Cosentino and Bailey Hockman next yr.

We'll have Elliot, Byrd, Surratt.

So we both have 3 next yr

3* Jace Ruder supposedly got an offer from FSU and is visiting them prior to visiting us. They are recruiting Justin Fields (of course everyone would take him). Anyway, it sounds like fsu could take a qb this cycle.

FSU also has James Blackman..4th string QB.....freshman

^ oh. Blackman and Bailey in the same class... Yeah they def don't need a QB this cycle.

Edit - but obviously they'd take Justin and are at least interested in Jace. Either take would make for 5 on the roster in fall 2018

I completely forgot about Blackman but from everything I have read he is very raw and a candidate to move to a different position as he is an excellent athlete

He will be a QB....he is now up to 6'6"....needs to build some body weight to go with the height.

Rivals and 247 had him as a 4 star...3 star composite..

Very strong arm, can throw on the run...FSU guys saw him as a high ceiling prospect...he'll nedd some time to develop..

Yeah on their podcast nolecast (very good for recruiting info) they said he was a high ceiling player in the mold of Lamar Jackson. He doesn't possess a lot of touch but he can hum it anywhere. He is also an electric runner.

If coach thought Chaz/Byrd were both going to be solid and neither would xfer, then it might not be dangerous to skip a QB this yr.

But w just 3 QBs on the team next yr, one xfer = a walkon as third string in 2018 or true frosh in 2019.

Of course if they have doubts about Byrd/surratt they need to take someone now and hope they develop.

Last edited:
I just read that the 2019 crop of QBs is looking less impressive than that 2018 crop. If so, we definitely to take a body at QB this class even if it feels we're just settling.

Fields is not coming to UNC. My guess is UGA or FSU
My guess is not UGA. QBs are scared of committing there with Eason and Fromme already in the fold. Especially since some think Fromme will ultimately pass Eason, meaning that puts even less distance -- in terms of class -- between QB1 and any QB recruit that would commit there for the 2018 class.

Look I want the kid just don't see it happening that's my opinion though no inside info
If you look at the 5 schools and their current HCs, which school of the 5 seems to lag behind in terms of making certain that top QBs get to play on the biggest stages, in the biggest games?

If you look at the 5 schools and their current HCs, which school of the 5 seems to lag behind in terms of making certain that top QBs get to play on the biggest stages, in the biggest games?
Are you talking FSU's struggles with qb position when Everett Golson xfer'd there?

Woad, are you trying to call out Fed for not starting Mitch during Marquise' senior yr? If so, what makes you think the win/loss total would've been any different with MT instead of MW? SCar, Clemson, Baylor were the only loses.

- Peyton Manning couldn't have helped vs Baylor.
- MW was bad vs SCar, but MT was bad vs UGA
- Clemson = MW kept us in that shootout, i wouldn't expect anything else from MT. If we get that onside kickoff we might win with MW.

Last edited:
I wasn't calling out anyone or even suggesting that it was a reason no idea why woad took it there. We won't get him because it is probably going to be the guy who is known as the qb whisperer

The wall is yet to be built. But potentially it will look mostly finished at the end of the season.

Dax, Payton, Sandidge, Dyami, Jordyn, Alim, Avery Jones, Devon Lawrence isn't entirely impossible, and that success would as close to a wall as one could hope for.

welp, just got a really tall and really solid QB commit in Tyler S!

5.8 on the rivals scale, same as Dyami.

We're on track for a pretty highly ranked class.

Reactions: Archer2
9th best QB in the nation, per Rivals. #192 overall.
A top AZ recruit giving his verbal to UNC is a big deal. Getting highly ranked recruits from your state and border states is far from unique. Only Top programs can consistently land highly ranked recruits from across the nation. If we can hang onto him, he could prove very helpful in persuading other recruits from outside the ACC area to be Tar Heels.

So here is a question: will a top ranked QB on board the UNC class help Zamir White think more highly of UNC? Will a top QB help nudge Dax to commit to UNC?

You'd think Zeus would take note. That 6'5 gunclubber will be able to locate him.

Last edited:
And he Twitter says he timed a 4.65 40 yd dash, weighing 280. 35 inch vert, 4.2 shuttle (20 yd). Goodness. Those are Carl Lawson and Soloman Thomas type of numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt 1976
CB DeAndre Hollins of Tampa, FL has committed. He is listed at 6-2. Because more WRs are at least 6-2, teams need more DBs at least 6 feet tall.

Hollins had offers from Tennessee, VT, Louisville, SoCar, Miss St, WVU, and other schools. He could be a top 3* DB recruit.

Another CB: Trey Morrison of Greater Atlanta Christian. 3*, but not quite as highly recruited as Hollins.

I do like GA players coming aboard. A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 4*s.

Another CB: Trey Morrison of Greater Atlanta Christian. 3*, but not quite as highly recruited as Hollins.

I do like GA players coming aboard. A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 4*s.

Sometimes you like to hate on Fed and other people, which is fine, so i'll back: plenty of 3* recruits from GA play like 2.5*'s. All 3*s have one or two question marks...

And plenty of 3 stars from Georgia also play like 3.5 - 4 stars...

FSU looks hard at these Georgia kids and takes a few....like QB Bailey Hockman (Rivals 3 star) who is the current backup.

or Malique Jackson, 3 star CB (Rivals)...3rd string on chart

or Gabe Nabors...current 1st string fullback

or Cole Minshew...starting left guard

and 2018 class...3 star Christian Meadows..OL

Roady, are you trying to indicate the Georgia 3* players are better than 3* players from others states?

Woad said "A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 4*s" which is just as true as saying "A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 2*'s.

So are you also just stating the obvious which is that some players play worse than their rating and some play better, or are you saying GA guys are different?

Roady, are you trying to indicate the Georgia 3* players are better than 3* players from others states?

Woad said "A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 4*s" which is just as true as saying "A lot of 3* GA recruits play like 2*'s.

So are you also just stating the obvious which is that some players play worse than their rating and some play better, or are you saying GA guys are different?
From my days of watching SEC football, and FSU from early Bobby Bowden days, I think that a larger number of 3* GA players play 'up' than do 3*s from most other states.

From my days of watching SEC football, and FSU from early Bobby Bowden days, I think that a larger number of 3* GA players play 'up' than do 3*s from most other states.

If 3* guys from GA are more apt to "play up" than those from other states, then either recruiting analysts are under-grading the majority of GA guys, or there is something else weird occurring (like peach juice causing georgians to be late-bloomers).

So at a giant "rivals" camp full of players from all over the place, why would guys from GA be under-graded? Or is it the peaches?

ADVERTISEMENT