ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting thread

Putting the Payton Wilson crap to rest it appears something has really turned him against us, the development of players and the atmosphere here so good riddance. I just hope the staff has some answers or tricks up their sleeves to help turn this pitiful defense around. Although they haven't shown any such insight all year long and for years in the past. We are losing good defensive recruits at an alarming rate for whatever reason who knows.

I guess nobody wants to talk recruiting lol
I think part of that reticence is that some of us feel that without staff changes, of the kind that mean basic strategy changes, our recruiting limitations will continue and probably worsen.

Everything negative that people like me say on the internet about Fedora and his staff has already been said by recruiters of other schools to players we are recruiting. It's all known by anybody who cares to know. And it becomes very frustrating to those who come to believe that a few changes could make a significant difference.

There are rarely more than 3 steps before a coach is fired. Once it becomes clear that many fans see something wrong with the program, the first step is to persuade the HC to reconfigure the side of the ball that appears to be weaker. We've done that. It helped, but it was not close to a cure-all. And we still see recruiting problems on D.

I would bet a huge amount that changing DCs again would avail nothing. That Papuchis could go somewhere else and produce statistically better Ds than we had in 2017, while our new DC would oversee similar problems, including recruiting problems.

Vic Koenning's only lousy Ds have been under Fedora. The rest of his career, Koenning has been a good, not great, DC. But under Fedora he looked like the worst DC in the history of the ACC.

The 2nd step is when the HC is persuaded to make another major change on his staff. I would bet that a number of boosters have made it clear that they think the Fed train must make a major change to prevent its derailing. And most of those will want a new OC.

I want a new OC. I think if Kapilovic is not OC, he can give full attention to OL development. And I want an OC who is not a mirror of Fedora on offense. We need new eyes, not eyes that see things as Fedora's predilections demand.

Just send Kap back to the OL full time and let Fed call the O....

Also we got a commit the other day from a DE 6'6 250...

Reactions: uncboy10
I think part of that reticence is that some of us feel that without staff changes, of the kind that mean basic strategy changes, our recruiting limitations will continue and probably worsen.
I think a big part of the reticence is that this is a small class and we're just in a lull of quiet (aside from the decomm).

Jamarcus Chatman is considering us - a DT that might decomm from Tenn.

Chris Collins apparently is visiting Miami soon.

Spencer Anderson, an OT that is committed to Maryland is visiting soon.

Florida will have a new offensive staff, including the OL coach, so maybe that gives us a leg up with William Barnes, don't know.

Seems DT, LB, RB, QB and OT are still positions we are trying to fill.

I think a big part of the reticence is that this is a small class and we're just in a lull of quiet (aside from the decomm).

Jamarcus Chatman is considering us - a DT that might decomm from Tenn.

Chris Collins apparently is visiting Miami soon.

Spencer Anderson, an OT that is committed to Maryland is visiting soon.

Florida will have a new offensive staff, including the OL coach, so maybe that gives us a leg up with William Barnes, don't know.

Seems DT, LB, RB, QB and OT are still positions we are trying to fill.

Hopefully Collins realizes he would get more Pt here

Looks like we may have offered Zaeron Hayes from SC too or at least we have some CB picks. Would love to get some higher ranked LBs too.

Let's not trash recruits, we know family members of recruits are on these boards.
I didn't know we were trying to be sensitive to people's feelings. This is a tough business. If we are going to be successful we need to start signing better recruits and not waste our time with weaker ones.

It's a little late in the game to be holding out for a bunch of 4*s. Also, sounds like we might have started looking at some things other than *s to evaluate recruits. Wouldn't necessarily say all 2*s are a waste of time.

I didn't know we were trying to be sensitive to people's feelings. This is a tough business. If we are going to be successful we need to start signing better recruits and not waste our time with weaker ones.
Tough business? It's a game, it is education, and these are kids. If your wallet (business) is actually directly impacted, then it is even more important that you not hurt a kid's feelings or piss off his family etc, lest they choose a different school and the coaches have to settle for someone even further down their list.

at the risk of stating the obvious, fedora really needs to finish strong with a good recruiting class, top 25 at least. i know this will be hard considering the dismal season, but there's lots of playing time for good players, and no ncaa investigation or threat of sanctions. it's time for fed to earn his very generous salary.

Last edited:
at the risk of stating the obvious, fedora really needs to finish strong with a good recruiting class, top 25 at least. i know this will be hard considering the dismal season, but there's lots of playing time for good players, and no ncaa investigation or threat of sanctions. it's time for fed to earn his very generous salary.

Sounds like there are a bunch of 4* that still have us high on their list and will probably visit.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Welcome. Just wondering if we may have jumped the gun with the rumor of Gerry Bohanon possibly visiting this weekend.

Hopefully this staff can find a way to finish strong. Early playing time should be easy to promote

Is it true that Dax's gf is coming to UNC? If so he needs to join her.
How close of a girlfriend?

Craig James went to SMU because of his girlfriend. She was a year older and already enrolled. Bear Bryant recognized the issue and offered her a slot as Bama cheerleader or pom pom girl or something, but she loved being at SMU.

Cade Fortin is a heel, nice offer list, 4* on espn
So did he not want to play for Jimbo? Or did he know that Jimbo did not want him at all? FSU always recruits GA hard, so Jimbo surely evaluated Fortin.

Is Fortin close to any top players on D or the OL, or maybe a beast of a 230 pound RB?

NC produced a number of top recruits this year. We landed perhaps the top 2 WRs, but we already were rather deep at WR. As the case of Cabrera showed late this year, under Brewer, we have been more than sound at WR - and deeper than the 2-deep.

The biggest fish is White, but no RB with that potential and acclaim is likely to want to play the way Fedora uses RBs.

Perhaps most important to us is all the talent on D in this class of NC high school players. LB is indeed a great need of ours, and we had Wilson committed. But he fled for Moo. Hollifield seems more than a long shot.

We are a long way from having the dominating DL we need, and McNeill and Sandidge top the NC DT talent. The former is headed to Moo, and the latter is a long shot for us. Henry, the top DE, is likely headed to Clemson.

Because of the whiffing on top NC recruits on D, we have taken commitments from GA DT Jahil Taylor (who had been committed to App St) and SC RB/LB Kyle Wright.

Hope we aren't just settling for commits hopefully the staff can either develop these guys or hopefully they are late bloomers that nobody has found yet.

Hope we aren't just settling for commits hopefully the staff can either develop these guys or hopefully they are late bloomers that nobody has found yet.
If we are not signing the top talent in the state then we are failing. I am not impressed with Jahlil Taylor's offer sheet. Even Georgia Tech did not offer and that's the state he's from.

Last edited:
It's important that we sign some depth this year, especially on defense. We need a full class.

Next year we can hopefully sign some higher ranked talent when we aren't coming off the worst season our head coach will ever have with this program.

Our AVG stars is pretty high compared to other teams in the ACC
That's been true the whole time under Fedora. When the 'scandal' was allegedly hurting our recruiting, we were doing rather well compared to the whole ACC.

What does it mean to our future, and not just for 2018, if we already are deep in WR talent and our 2 top recruits this class are WRs?

Let's step aside from football for a moment to get hold of the issue. Let's say a team has the most players in the MLB All-Star game with 4. Two are right handed starting pitchers (one leading the league in strike outs and the other leading the league in ERA) and 2 are tied for first in the league in home runs.

2 great staring pitchers and 2 home run kings? World Series champs for sure.

Not necessarily. In fact, the team could be a loser if: it has no hitter with close to a .300 average and no hitters with good on base percentage (solo homers don't do a whole lot for wins); it has nothing close to a decent relief pitcher; it does not have a single decent left handed pitcher; its fielding is erratic leaning toward poor.

WE could have the best 4th-team deep WR corps in college football history and have a losing record.

The real question regarding our recruiting is: Are we getting enough talent on D and the OL to win consistently?

I do not consider averaging 7 Ws per year winning consistently.

ADVERTISEMENT