ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting thread

I agree that 7-6 is nothing to be proud of and should not be considered acceptable.

That's been true the whole time under Fedora. When the 'scandal' was allegedly hurting our recruiting, we were doing rather well compared to the whole ACC.

What does it mean to our future, and not just for 2018, if we already are deep in WR talent and our 2 top recruits this class are WRs?

Let's step aside from football for a moment to get hold of the issue. Let's say a team has the most players in the MLB All-Star game with 4. Two are right handed starting pitchers (one leading the league in strike outs and the other leading the league in ERA) and 2 are tied for first in the league in home runs.

2 great staring pitchers and 2 home run kings? World Series champs for sure.

Not necessarily. In fact, the team could be a loser if: it has no hitter with close to a .300 average and no hitters with good on base percentage (solo homers don't do a whole lot for wins); it has nothing close to a decent relief pitcher; it does not have a single decent left handed pitcher; its fielding is erratic leaning toward poor.

WE could have the best 4th-team deep WR corps in college football history and have a losing record.

The real question regarding our recruiting is: Are we getting enough talent on D and the OL to win consistently?

I do not consider averaging 7 Ws per year winning consistently.
Can you move your incessant b!tching to a different thread? Are you trying to kill every thread?

Reactions: franklin street
Did anybody see the Cherokee game yesterday. I heard they had a couple of nice D linemen but I didn't get to watch.

Can you move your incessant b!tching to a different thread? Are you trying to kill every thread?
Does that mean you think our recruiting on D is good enough to be in the hunt to win the ACC? To have back to back 9 win regular seasons? Counting bowl games, to win at least 8 games 3 consecutive seasons?

Or are you happy as long as we make some lower tier bowl 3 out of 4 seasons?

3 bowl teams over 4 seasons is definitely better than Bunting.

Is that the ceiling for UNC football?

Did anybody see the Cherokee game yesterday. I heard they had a couple of nice D linemen but I didn't get to watch.
I watched it. They did have some stout dlmen. Did u see wake forest? They had 3 studs on dline as did scotland and harding

Yes wilson, there were some good looking Dlinemen in those games. The talent in NC high schools seems to be picking up.

Javonte Williams, another unimpressive recruit with no offer sheet and no star rating. They give the excuse that he was playing out of position. Lame.

Javonte Williams, another unimpressive recruit with no offer sheet and no star rating. They give the excuse that he was playing out of position. Lame.
Oklahoma, Duke and GT all offered. He's a late bloomer. Gotten a lot bigger this yr apparently and has blown-up as an RB, looked great in their play-off run.

Edit to add, it kinda looks like he added 20 lbs this yr, up to 5'11 215, ran a 4.5, wasn't really an RB til this yr, and Oklahoma etc loved what he did recently as an RB.

Tiny school, so the awesome stats were probably ignored til people saw him in the playoffs and realized how big and fast he's gotten. That's my guess as to why he's on zero radars til now.

Last edited:
I would feel a lot better if we got a few more 4* commits soon too but I don't think we're doing any good by posting negative things about any of the guys who are happy to become a Tarheel. Coaches are fair game, they are grown ups and getting paid to do their jobs. New commits got to get a little leeway for now IMO. Maybe a couple turn out to be football equivalents to Luuuuuuke.

Reactions: franklin street
I would feel a lot better if we got a few more 4* commits soon too but I don't think we're doing any good by posting negative things about any of the guys who are happy to become a Tarheel. Coaches are fair game, they are grown ups and getting paid to do their jobs. New commits got to get a little leeway for now IMO. Maybe a couple turn out to be football equivalents to Luuuuuuke.
The negative posting is meant for the coaches wasting offers not the signees. Again, if we are not signing the best in the state where we should have every advantage, then we are failing.

https://m.onenewspage.com/video/20170906/8839161/Sept-sports-WRH-coach.htm
The negative posting is meant for the coaches wasting offers not the signees. Again, if we are not signing the best in the state where we should have every advantage, then we are failing.
How do you expect UNC coaches to fend off Bama, UGA, OSU, and Clemson when they come calling for Zamir White and KJ Henry?

That is equivalent to UGA in basketball trying to fend of Roy Williams and Coach K.

Reactions: matt 1976
davis, I agree with most of what you're saying, just think you can get that point across without naming recruits. and we're not likely to go from where we are to where we want to be in a year or two. we have to make progress towards the goal of competing nationally. i'm disappointed in that 2015 and 2016 could have been 2 years to really jumpstart us on that path but 2016 turned into a bust at the end of the year and this season took us down quite a few notches. unfortunately we are starting over again

How are we going to compete against the Bama's and Georgia's of the world when we can only get 40,000 people to show up for a football game and they refuse to stand and cheer? Then, recruit "X" from the state of NC goes to one of those schools for a visit and sees 100K screaming fans who treat their football players like Gods. Hell, they even know the names of the bigtime recruits who are visiting and are screaming their names from the stands. We will never, ever get the top kids from our state until the product that we are selling changes.

That is what we must do if we are going to compete on a national level. I guess you are saying we are a basketball only school.
You have poor understanding of the football world if you think this type of thing can change quickly. Clemson had tradition & history (natty champ in 81), yet it still took 6 yrs of great success before they could attract top recruits. We have ZERO tradition or history compared to theirs. For a typical school in the ACC it is going to take several yrs of decent success to get fans attendance up. Then a few more yrs of consistent winning to solidify that traction and success, then a few awesome yrs (big national wins) to be up there with the SEC, Clemson and Mich/USC/OSU types. Given how pissed our fans are over the handling of Butch and embarrassment over the Marvin and AFAM scandals, we have an even bigger up hill. So your expectations are whack if you expect things to happen here overnite. Heck the NCAA just removed their noose a few months ago, that alone was dissuading bball and fball recruits.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Mark it down now Mr. Williams will be the best player from this class...I hope Fed and crew can keep making ground down east in NC...A ton of ball players down there that get overlooked...

If he had played at WF or Scotland or a Big 4A program in NC he would be a 4 star no problem...

Glad he is a Tar Heel....

Does that mean you think our recruiting on D is good enough to be in the hunt to win the ACC? To have back to back 9 win regular seasons? Counting bowl games, to win at least 8 games 3 consecutive seasons?

Or are you happy as long as we make some lower tier bowl 3 out of 4 seasons?

3 bowl teams over 4 seasons is definitely better than Bunting.

Is that the ceiling for UNC football?

Oh look a ridiculous false dichotomy...

Nobody here thinks that. But we're also all fukkin sick and tired of reading this same bullshit on every single thread. It's like your copying and pasting your own damn posts from one thread to another. If you want to be critical, at least throw in a little creativity instead of mentioning Bunting in every poast as if that's doing anything other than making you look ridiculous.

Tar. Heel.

How many scholarships can we offer this year and is in determined?
We had a full 85 on the team last yr.
Of the seniors, Tyler Powell will probably return (medical waiver), Bonilla, Perry and Cabrera are taking their hard-earned degree and leaving, so that leaves 15 open spots.

2 of the 85 from last yr were originally walkons (snapper and holder), so their spots are probably up for grabs.

Plus early spring guys transfer, decide they are too injured to continue, flunk-out, go pro early etc. So I bet we'll take about 20.

Reactions: uncpig
We had a full 85 on the team last yr.
Of the seniors, Tyler Powell will probably return (medical waiver), Bonilla, Perry and Cabrera are taking their hard-earned degree and leaving, so that leaves 15 open spots.

2 of the 85 from last yr were originally walkons (snapper and holder), so their spots are probably up for grabs.

Plus early spring guys transfer, decide they are too injured to continue, flunk-out, go pro early etc. So I bet we'll take about 20.
Looks like Byrd is transferring, so that frees up one.

So who else is leaving to make room for the two OT we badly need (and the Dax and Sandidge we badly) need.

I wonder if Groves and Hatton will return or if their injuries are too much.

So who else is leaving to make room for the two OT we badly need (and the Dax and Sandidge we badly) need.

I wonder if Groves and Hatton will return or if their injuries are too much.
I have no idea what Groves’s status is, but if he could just stay healthy, I think he might could do Switzer-like things.

Carolina is in about the same position Clemson found themselves in several years ago. How will we keep the best talent in state and headed toward Chapel Hill?
We need to give the recruits a coach that is southern (not southwestern) that can relate to our area of the country and one that has a vision of what Carolina football could be and the skill to communicate it (to recruits and fans alike). That coach would also have to know that defense wins championships and sometimes a three yard run, although not as sexy as flinging the ball all over the field, is a smart football play.

Carolina is in about the same position Clemson found themselves in several years ago. How will we keep the best talent in state and headed toward Chapel Hill?
We need to give the recruits a coach that is southern (not southwestern) that can relate to our area of the country and one that has a vision of what Carolina football could be and the skill to communicate it (to recruits and fans alike). That coach would also have to know that defense wins championships and sometimes a three yard run, although not as sexy as flinging the ball all over the field, is a smart football play.

Maybe Fed still thinks bbq is beef and that is messing with the southern recruits? Definitely need to be great on both sides of the ball to do more than win the coastal.

Regarding 3 yard run, I was watching Clemson vs NCSU and noticing that they never went under center. Even at their own 1 yard line they were shotgun. Down on 1st & goal and very short, they were shotgun.

A bunch of teams this yr have their QB as their #1 rusher (Bama has been like this a few yrs) and I think clemson is one of them.

The teams that do downhill running with a 'feature back' are getting fewer and fewer, and the ones winning championships are doing something different.

By and large agree with you blazers but we're not at Clemson's level so we have to do some things differently. Our QB wasn't our best rusher and our O line couldn't be trusted to hold blocks in critical situations. Our best bet last season (and maybe next season) when we need a yard or less to pick up the first down or score is to get under center and sneak the QB, with a RB pushing him from behind.

lol being from the southeast has nothing to do with it. Dabo uses two key points to get the top athletes.

1. He is selling them an opportunity to play for arguably the top program in the country, in front of a sellout crowd practically every week, at a school where football is king.

2. He pimps his religion and the parents eat that $hit up.

Reactions: matt 1976
lol being from the southeast has nothing to do with it. Dabo uses two key points to get the top athletes.

1. He is selling them an opportunity to play for arguably the top program in the country, in front of a sellout crowd practically every week, at a school where football is king.

2. He pimps his religion and the parents eat that $hit up.
Spot on. #1 is definitely the most important.

Are we recruiting Jovaughn Gwyn? If so any idea where we stand? He is a teammate of Crouch too if I'm not mistaken.

Are we recruiting Jovaughn Gwyn? If so any idea where we stand? He is a teammate of Crouch too if I'm not mistaken.
All signs say no very much, though we had him up for a gm or a camp in think. we want 2 OT, then another 2 or 3 that are best available types who are rb, wr, lb or Sandidge

James Foster was rumored to be once committed to the Heels. Just noticed he is now a four star QB with some impressive offers.

ADVERTISEMENT