ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Season

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
A "way too early" poll is out and the heels make it in at #22. After winning the bowl game and having so many returning players, I think there will also be a lot of talk over the summer about us being a dark horse to upset Clemson in the ACC championship game. Not sure if we are good enough to do that, but we should be able to win the coastal next year. I think that should be the goal next year.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25-college-football-rankings

Should be a very good year, but the first two games are ball-busters...UCF and Auburn.....wow! I wish we had a chippie to start out with to get the guy's feet and legs under them. I hope we absolutely punish VaTech and also stop the losing streak with UVa. I'm pumped about our team next year.....coastal is certainly the goal.

Need to temper expectations for 2020. The DL has some major holes in the middle and we need to find a LT to protect Sam. Also, DCs will have a whole year of film on Sam, so he will need to develop and progress.

Need to temper expectations for 2020. The DL has some major holes in the middle and we need to find a LT to protect Sam. Also, DCs will have a whole year of film on Sam, so he will need to develop and progress.
We should win 8-9 next year, so that should win the coastal. And Sam is the least of my concerns. Having film on him won't matter. He's that talented.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Reactions: tarheel0910
Looks like an 11-1 season to me. :D
I'd love that, but ...

UCF lost only 3 games by a grand total of 7 points.

Auburn returns just 10 starters, but the Tigers beat Bama and had much more depth than UNC.

JMU must replace most of its starters, but the Dukes are the 2nd deepest, and 2nd best, program in 1AA/FCS.

GT should be more consistent and have a bit more depth.

UVA should take a step back, but the Cavs can be a handful in Scott, especially for UNC.

VT returns 18 starters.

Dook returns 15 starters.

If Diaz can instill some discipline, Miami could be a 9 win team.

UConn is terrible.

The Pitt D will be even better and deeper, perhaps able to carry the team to several wins even if the offense is no better.

There is no way to know what the new staff will deliver with BC, but the Eagles return 16 starters.

Because of injuries, Moo played a huge number of people.

We need to develop depth, especially on the DL and OL, and we need to score TDs when in the Red Zone.

Reactions: blazers
Looks like an 11-1 season to me. :D
Realistically, I think we shouldn't be worse than 8-4 with that schedule. Probably should be at least 9-3. There is only one sure loss and that's Auburn. I'd put UCF (which is really overrated), UVA and UM in the toss up column. That would leave us at least 6-2 in conference, which most likely wins the coastal.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Realistically, I think we shouldn't be worse than 8-4 with that schedule. Probably should be at least 9-3. There is only one sure loss and that's Auburn. I'd put UCF (which is really overrated), UVA and UM in the toss up column. That would leave us at least 6-2 in conference, which most likely wins the coastal.
That's what I'm thinking as well. 9-3 (6-2), which would hopefully win the coastal.

Sept. 4 at UCF (Fri.) - L
Sept. 12 vs. Auburn (Atlanta, Ga.) - L
Sept. 19 JAMES MADISON - W
Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH - W
Oct. 3 at Virginia - L
Oct. 10 VIRGINIA TECH - W
Oct. 17 at Duke - W
Oct. 24 at Miami - L
Nov. 7 UCONN - W
Nov. 14 PITT - W
Nov. 21 at Boston College- W
Nov. 27 NC STATE (Fri.) - W

Sept. 4 at UCF (Fri.) W
Sept. 12 vs. Auburn (Atlanta, Ga.) L
Sept. 19 JAMES MADISON W
Sept. 26 GEORGIA TECH W
Oct. 3 at Virginia L
Oct. 10 VIRGINIA TECH W
Oct. 17 at Duke W
Oct. 24 at Miami L
Nov. 7 UCONN W
Nov. 14 PITT W
Nov. 21 at Boston College W
Nov. 27 NC STATE (Fri.) W

Reactions: TarHeelMark
we will beat uva next fall. we almost beat them last time but their senior QB played a career game against us. he's gone, our great QB will be back.
We don't have the best history up there, so until we can start wining regularly there I'm marking it down as a loss.

Need to come out strong to start the season. If we can find a way to beat Auburn it could be a special season.

What happened in the last game there, or over the last 10 seasons, has absolutely no bearing on how we'll perform there this season.
You're exactly right. It has no bearing on how the team will perform. It does have a bearing on my prediction though. I don't think we go undefeated and when I look at the schedule, this looks and feels like a game we could lose.

I'm a miserable pessimist. But even I am optimistic. A great QB can do magical things. Protect Howell and 12-0 is possible

Reactions: JimmyinVA
We don't have the best history up there, so until we can start wining regularly there I'm marking it down as a loss.
if your optimism is based on teams we've beaten regularly, that's very pessimistic. remember: mack is back!

Check Mack's results in Charlottesville. I'm not ready to declare us undefeated just because he's back.
i don't expect to go undefeated. but we played strong against them last year. the senior QB who beat us with an incredible performance is gone. i don't think their home field will make up for losing him, and i think we'll be a better team next fall. you predict a loss against them, and i predict a win. simple difference of opinion...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT