ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
The 1st 2021 commitment is Dontavious Nash of Gastonia Hunter Huss. Nash is a 6-2 Safety and already is a 4* recruit for at least some services. His offer list already includes Auburn and Georgia, as well as VT, WVU, Moo, Dook, and Wake.

Reactions: Archer2
I noticed we’ve offered 6-8, 290 pound ‘21 OT Andrew Canelas, currently rated a 3 star. He’s attending the camp we have this weekend. Any news on this guy?

Since he was mentioned here, I will post this. Breon’s dad passed away unexpectedly this morning.

https://www.greensboro.com/rockingh...cle_f0b3b659-84fd-5d57-a541-6cd0de6264b4.html

My wife is a teacher at Reidsville and taught Breon for 2 years. Words can’t describe how shocked and hurt this community is right now. This was a very close family and Curtis was a fantastic coach and person. Breon needs our prayers because this young man is really hurting right now.

Reminds me a lot of Coby White’s situation. I just hope he can channel his grief the same way Coby did, regardless of whether we see him in Chapel Hill or not.

Reactions: skubby12002
Since he was mentioned here, I will post this. Breon’s dad passed away unexpectedly this morning.

https://www.greensboro.com/rockingh...cle_f0b3b659-84fd-5d57-a541-6cd0de6264b4.html

My wife is a teacher at Reidsville and taught Breon for 2 years. Words can’t describe how shocked and hurt this community is right now. This was a very close family and Curtis was a fantastic coach and person. Breon needs our prayers because this young man is really hurting right now.

Reminds me a lot of Coby White’s situation. I just hope he can channel his grief the same way Coby did, regardless of whether we see him in Chapel Hill or not.
That is terrible for the family and for his players. My condolences to all those who knew Coach Pass.

This hurt me bad CP was a friend of mine and just saw him and Breon at this bball camp I was working last week he will truly be missed.

Reactions: Littlejon
I said when we received the commitment from Hornsby that a 4* QB did not impress me all that much considering the young talent we have at QB. I also said that Hornsby was not the kind of highly ranked QB who could bring top D talent to play with him, to have his back on the other side of the ball.

That is a way to see the importance of Drake Maye and the 2021 class. Maye will be at least a high 4* recruit - he could become a 5* before it's all done. Before his dad was injured, many of us felt that only the coaching of Dick Crum could hold Mark Maye down, as in not All ACC. Mark Maye was a great guy and a natural leader.

Drake Maye can be everything that we thought Mark would be: All ACC and perhaps All American. For those who do not know, Mark Maye narrowed his choices to UNC and Bama. He had offers from the entire ACC, FSU, UGA, Tenn, Auburn, WVU, Penn St.

The NC HS class of 2021 has a lot of talent on D. My dream would be that we land Maye, and that his plays a role in reeling in the best class in UNC history. Look at this NC talent -

Payton Page of Greensboro Dudley could be the top DT in the class. He can be a program changer at DT.

Jahvarie Ritzie of Kernersville will be a high 4* SDE.

Zaire Patterson of Winston-Salem and Travali Price Lincolnton both will be high 4* WDE recruits.

Right now, I expect Jack Hollifield to follow his brother to VT, but who knows. Plus, Power Echols of Charlotte is also a high 4* ILB, and Dameon Wilson of Kings Mountain also is 4* talent. Both Echols and Wilson can move to OLB and shine.

Kamarro Edmonds of Havelock is a high 4* CB.

4* S Dontavious Nash of Gastonia has already committed, and DenAndrea Bokins of Concord is at least as high a 4* S.

There is enough D talent in the NC class of 2021 to win a couple of National Championships, if it were to play together. and have a top QB.

Here is the biggest question right now regarding the 2021 class: Is DT Payton Page close enough to Myles Murphy that Murphy will have a major impact on his decision?

School Offered Visit Date
Clemson Yes
Alabama Yes
Auburn Yes
Charlotte Yes
Colorado Yes
Duke Yes
Florida Yes
Florida State Yes
Georgia Yes
LSU Yes
Louisville Yes
Maryland Yes
Michigan Yes
Mississippi State Yes
North Carolina Yes
Notre Dame Yes
Ohio State Yes
Oklahoma Yes
Oregon Yes
Penn State Yes
Pittsburgh Yes
South Carolina Yes
Syracuse Yes
Tennessee Yes
Texas Yes
Texas A&M Yes
Vanderbilt Yes
Virginia Yes
Virginia Tech Yes
Wake Forest Yes
West Virginia Yes
Wisconsin Yes

Quite an offer list already for Page. Clemson is currently the favorite. Absolute game changer.

...many of us felt that only the coaching of Dick Crum could hold Mark Maye down, as in not All ACC. Mark Maye was a great guy and a natural leader.... ..
true. i also remember mark playing behind a not-so-great OL and taking lots of hits, but always bouncing back -- a very tough guy physically and mentally.

Yes. He was extremely happy for Myles yesterday.
I thought I'd read somewhere that they liked playing with one another.

They can do that at UNC and be close enough for all family and friends to drive to Home games and many Away games.

Finding a way to win games this year will have a big impact on the 2021 class. If it looks like Mack is making a quick turnaround in year one then a lot of high profile recruits will take notice. A bowl win would be huge this year.

I thought I'd read somewhere that they liked playing with one another.

They can do that at UNC and be close enough for all family and friends to drive to Home games and many Away games.
They could be part of building something in Chapel Hill, building a program in this state that could challenge for the ACC title year in and year out. I’d think that would be attractive to young recruits, especially those from this state.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
School Offered Visit Date
Clemson Yes
Alabama Yes
Auburn Yes
Charlotte Yes
Colorado Yes
Duke Yes
Florida Yes
Florida State Yes
Georgia Yes
LSU Yes
Louisville Yes
Maryland Yes
Michigan Yes
Mississippi State Yes
North Carolina Yes
Notre Dame Yes
Ohio State Yes
Oklahoma Yes
Oregon Yes
Penn State Yes
Pittsburgh Yes
South Carolina Yes
Syracuse Yes
Tennessee Yes
Texas Yes
Texas A&M Yes
Vanderbilt Yes
Virginia Yes
Virginia Tech Yes
Wake Forest Yes
West Virginia Yes
Wisconsin Yes

Quite an offer list already for Page. Clemson is currently the favorite. Absolute game changer.

Would be nice to steal him from Clemson and keep him at home.

Finding a way to win games this year will have a big impact on the 2021 class. If it looks like Mack is making a quick turnaround in year one then a lot of high profile recruits will take notice. A bowl win would be huge this year.
Indeed it would.

I also like the fact that we're the first to offer 2022 OLB Jalon Walker. He's good enough that he's already receiving attention from the Tigers. Check out the trending articles to the right for more details.

Desmond Evans could potentially be one of those transformational players if he were to choose the Heels. At Clemson or Alabama, he’s just another 5* DE. At UNC, he’s the beginning of something new.

Desmond Evans could potentially be one of those transformational players if he were to choose the Heels. At Clemson or Alabama, he’s just another 5* DE. At UNC, he’s the beginning of something new.

According to the crystal ball on TOS he's now 100% to us. If that prediction is accurate then hopefully he will commit soon to help build some more momentum with other recruits.

I think that is especially true with the Bateman D.

At UNC, LT played DE, almost always a stand up DE, one who had a green light to drop back into LB land. Think of Desmond Evans' height and reach and strength per his weight, and then think of him playing OLB in this Bateman D most of the time. I think he could become something very much like LT at UNC: an impossible match up for OTs and TEs and RBs, standing up and reading the play starting to unfold and then pouncing.

The one weakness the 1980 D had was that no one else that year was a true star to go with LT. So teams could call plays to avoid him most of the time. But we already are loading on D. Evans would play with Murphy, for example, and Murphy could become a 300 lb beast.

Dear Payton Page:

The UNC D is being stocked, and you could be the 1st really big fish to commit for the 2021 class.

I think the 2020 recruiting class is going to play for at least 1 ACC Championship before any of them are eligible to head to the NFL. With a top notch 2021 recruiting class that is a bit better than the stellar 2020 class, UNC could be in the hunt to make the playoffs starting in 2021.

I said when we received the commitment from Hornsby that a 4* QB did not impress me all that much considering the young talent we have at QB. I also said that Hornsby was not the kind of highly ranked QB who could bring top D talent to play with him, to have his back on the other side of the ball.

That is a way to see the importance of Drake Maye and the 2021 class. Maye will be at least a high 4* recruit - he could become a 5* before it's all done. Before his dad was injured, many of us felt that only the coaching of Dick Crum could hold Mark Maye down, as in not All ACC. Mark Maye was a great guy and a natural leader.

Drake Maye can be everything that we thought Mark would be: All ACC and perhaps All American. For those who do not know, Mark Maye narrowed his choices to UNC and Bama. He had offers from the entire ACC, FSU, UGA, Tenn, Auburn, WVU, Penn St.

The NC HS class of 2021 has a lot of talent on D. My dream would be that we land Maye, and that his plays a role in reeling in the best class in UNC history. Look at this NC talent -

Payton Page of Greensboro Dudley could be the top DT in the class. He can be a program changer at DT.

Jahvarie Ritzie of Kernersville will be a high 4* SDE.

Zaire Patterson of Winston-Salem and Travali Price Lincolnton both will be high 4* WDE recruits.

Right now, I expect Jack Hollifield to follow his brother to VT, but who knows. Plus, Power Echols of Charlotte is also a high 4* ILB, and Dameon Wilson of Kings Mountain also is 4* talent. Both Echols and Wilson can move to OLB and shine.

Kamarro Edmonds of Havelock is a high 4* CB.

4* S Dontavious Nash of Gastonia has already committed, and DenAndrea Bokins of Concord is at least as high a 4* S.

There is enough D talent in the NC class of year 2021 to win a couple of National Championships, if it were to play together. and have a top QB.

Now Woad.
Crum changed his entire offense when he was able to recruit Maye. Crum took his e staff to study Fisher DeBerry's offense at Air Force to better utilize Maye's talent.
The shift in philosophy changed the the way Carolina recruited offensive linemen and eventually Carolina's entire running game which began Crum's demise in Chapel Hill.

I wonder how many spots we'll have open for SSDE/DT types in 2021. I ask because the 2020 DL will have zero true seniors and zero rs/seniors. Xach Gill will be a RS/JR, everyone else is younger than him.

We took a bunch of interior guys this yr. Varner (274), Hester (271), Tomari (278), Wisdom (295). Add Vohasek (280), Brant Lawless (290), rs-frosh Jahlil (300) and ballooned-up Lancine Turay (280) - and you've got a really young group.

Murphy, Beaty, Kedrick, Pinder are all interior, so I count 13 guys who are NOT wsde/olb types (like Fox and Defranco), none will graduate unless Gill takes his degree and moves on.

Obvious we a NT like Page in 2021, but there might not be much room for other interior DL unless we see some rs-frosh and sophomores depart.

I wonder how many spots we'll have open for SSDE/DT types in 2021. I ask because the 2020 DL will have zero true seniors and zero rs/seniors. Xach Gill will be a RS/JR, everyone else is younger than him.

We took a bunch of interior guys this yr. Varner (274), Hester (271), Tomari (278), Wisdom (295). Add Vohasek (280), Brant Lawless (290), rs-frosh Jahlil (300) and ballooned-up Lancine Turay (280) - and you've got a really young group.

Murphy, Beaty, Kedrick, Pinder are all interior, so I count 13 guys who are NOT wsde/olb types (like Fox and Defranco), none will graduate unless Gill takes his degree and moves on.

Obvious we a NT like Page in 2021, but there might not be much room for other interior DL unless we see some rs-frosh and sophomores depart.
Yes, we now have a large group of larger-sized DL players. If they all develop nicely, we may take no more than 2 such recruits in 2021.

Or, if the recruiting is going very well, we mat add another 3 or 4, assuming that group will be at least as good as the 2020 group.

If we are going to win the ACC and make the playoffs, we are going to need at least 8 guys who can man the 3 DL slots for every game. Factoring in injuries, that means you need to start a season with at least 10 that you have available and do not plan to redshirt. That's into a 4th team.

That's the kind of depth needed on the DL to win like Clemson and Bama.

On TOS, some VT fans are trashing Dax Hollifield as Bud Foster's pet who is not very good. That should open the eyes of Jack Hollifield. I winder if they would like to play together, in Carolina Blue.

I am always about the D first, and I want the DL stocked before you even worry much about DBs and even LBs. That's the reason I think Payton Page, 5* DT from Greensboro Dudley, is the most important recruit to land for the 2021 class.

And I always have seen UNC's days being 1000 yard RB U as very important, more important to sustained success than WRs and even QBs. And that is the reason that I say the 2nd most important recruit we could land for 2021 is not a flipped Drake Maye (which I would love to see happen) but 5* Matthews, NC RB Will Shipley.

If Mack and staff could land commitments from that pair of top NC recruits, they could have UNC in the National Championship hunt no later than 2022.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I am always about the D first, and I want the DL stocked before you even worry much about DBs and even LBs. That's the reason I think Payton Page, 5* DT from Greensboro Dudley, is the most important recruit to land for the 2021 class.

And I always have seen UNC's days being 1000 yard RB U as very important, more important to sustained success than WRs and even QBs. And that is the reason that I say the 2nd most important recruit we could land for 2021 is not a flipped Drake Maye (which I would love to see happen) but 5* Matthews, NC RB Will Shipley.

If Mack and staff could land commitments from that pair of top NC recruits, they could have UNC in the National Championship hunt no later than 2022.

Another recruit I really hope we can sign is Jahvaree Ritzie, SDE from Kernersville Glenn HS.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT