ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Thread

ProfessorOwl

Junior
Oct 31, 2017
The 2020 class is likely done, barring a surprise spring recruit. Onto 2021. I was looking at the NC recruits for 2021 and it seems like a pretty weak year. 1 top 100 player (#57, PG) named Carter Whitt. Two players that I know of with UNC interest are Dontrez Styles (#106, SF) from Kinston, and Efton Reid (#28, PF) from Richmond.

We will be graduating Brooks, Platek, Huffman, Manley. The situation with the bigs is TBD. We will likely have Puff/Leaky on the wing. For PGs/CGs we will likely have Harris, Francis, Davis.

We would definitely want a PF recruit, and a SG recruit, as the roster totally lacks both of those positions. Also might want a PG recruit, depending on whether Francis will be able to contribute. We could also recruit some depth guys, because ~5-6 scholarships will be available. Depending on returnees, we might not need a lot of contributions from potential Freshman recruits. I could easily see a situation where our starting 5 is all returning players.

Do you guys know of any other recruits UNC has shown interest in? What positions do you think we will need? I'll try to update this thread with general 2021 recruiting news.

Banchero is a huge recruit and holds an offer as does Baldwin. The staff have Reid on their and Smith, Lander, Chandler, and Ingram.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Styles is much better than his rankings he actually should be the #1’player in the class in N.C. for 2021. Also I know we taking about 2021 but Jaden Bradley and MJ Rice in 2022 from N.C. man I wouldn’t be mad if Roy offered both today.

At this point last year, Day'ron had already committed. Duke and NCSU both already have commits. It's never too early.
Just speaking for myself. The older I get, the less I focus on the past or the future and the more I live in the present. The past is gone and the future isn’t guaranteed. I try to enjoy every game and every season for what it is, a temporary reprieve from the game of life and more important issues.

From what I have seen and heard from several guys I talk recruiting with on a regular basis, Efton Reid is player we should be really high on.

And he is on our radar, being Efton is up the road in Va, I'd be in on him often.

Seven feet, 245 and a PF? Love your new /QUOTE]

Thanks, not of my originality though, it is an old " Thought for the day", that I remembered. I liked it so much, that one of my daughters made a knitted sampler that hangs in our kitchen area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, not of my originality
that one of my daughters made a knitted sampler that hangs in our kitchen area.
Good words to live by though. I start each day saying I'm going to make it a good day. I'm not always successful but as Paw Paw used to say "Any day above grass is a good one son!"

Agreed about Efton Reid. I think he'd continue our streak of having a recruit who commits super early. Like Sharpe, White, Bradley, etc.

Baldwin and Banchero seem like the typical window dressers.

Agreed about Efton Reid. I think he'd continue our streak of having a recruit who commits super early. Like Sharpe, White, Bradley, etc.

Baldwin and Banchero seem like the typical window dressers.

These early commitments take so much pressure off of the coaching staff.

I see the roster looking like (sorry Arch)...

Guards: Harris, Francis, Davis
Wings: Leaky, Puff
Bigs: one of the '20 guys at least

That's six players, meaning seven (!) open spots. Maybe we'll pick up another guy this year though. I think the clear need is for bigs. We'd need not only a starter but a guy to be the third big as well. Seems crazy because we're adding two top centers next year but probably need two more bigs in 2021.

Between Harris, Davis, Leaky, Puff we might have a good four man group for the 1-3 spots even if we add no one else and Francis can't play. A true SG makes sense... I bet we recruit another top PG though, and don't see why we wouldn't be able to land another one. That allows Harris and Davis to battle it out at the 2 and Leaky to dominate at the 3 as a senior. Puff can play the backup 3 and combo 4 roles (think Pierce this year). One of Kessler/Sharpe pairs with a rangy freshman PF and another newcomer big. I'd take that.

As far as the bigs go in 2021, I'm sort of expecting to have 2/3 of Armando, Dayron, and Walker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker is a 4 year player or declares after we win a championship, whichever comes first. Not that he couldn't be drafted highly, but it seems like he's very much interested in the college experience.

Armando doesn't look close to a OAD right now, but I could see him being 2 and done after next season if he takes a big step.

Dayron could be OAD if he's utterly dominant on D, but we will have to see on that. Of the three he seems like he's the most physically dominant, but he definitely needs to work on his skills.

It's tough to make it in the NBA as a true post player. You have to have major defensive potential. Just ask Tony Bradley. That's probably why I'm more skeptical of their OAD potential than most.

Obviously how those three turn out will have a big impact on our 4/5 recruits for 2021. But I think we would have room for a 4 regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2 and TheGLOV
I wonder if Reid is interested in the Heels... I should look him and chandler up. Would be crazy to have seven or more spots open!

Just speaking for myself. The older I get, the less I focus on the past or the future and the more I live in the present. The past is gone and the future isn’t guaranteed. I try to enjoy every game and every season for what it is, a temporary reprieve from the game of life and more important issues.
You have summed up my feelings completely on the topic. Not only do I feel that way about recruiting, but really the game in general. The glory days are gone for the college game. Gone are the days when uber talents like Jordan, Worthy, Ewing, Olajuwon, and Bird stayed in college. Recruiting MATTERED then, but now.......it's all that matters, apparently. Once I realized that "the 80's weren't walking through that door" the game lost something for me. Now...............get off my lawn! LMAO

As far as the bigs go in 2021, I'm sort of expecting to have 2/3 of Armando, Dayron, and Walker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker is a 4 year player or declares after we win a championship, whichever comes first. Not that he couldn't be drafted highly, but it seems like he's very much interested in the college experience.

Armando doesn't look close to a OAD right now, but I could see him being 2 and done after next season if he takes a big step.

Dayron could be OAD if he's utterly dominant on D, but we will have to see on that. Of the three he seems like he's the most physically dominant, but he definitely needs to work on his skills.

It's tough to make it in the NBA as a true post player. You have to have major defensive potential. Just ask Tony Bradley. That's probably why I'm more skeptical of their OAD potential than most.

Obviously how those three turn out will have a big impact on our 4/5 recruits for 2021. But I think we would have room for a 4 regardless.

Good stuff sir!

Chandler sure appears to be a heck of a player. High motor, refined skill set. Come on to the Hill.

Good to see the Chandler offer. Can’t help but to think it’ll be hard to pull the kid out of that city, especially with the staff down there now. Needless to say, I don’t trust that staff to recruit ethically whatsoever.

And so some sports writers (Evans) are now offering the obvious, Ziaire may stay west (what a surprise) and pick Ariz.

Bossi piece says Day'Ron is a beast, has a mean streak and any ball near him is his.

Seems like a great kid. Legit 7fter with guard skills. This is the kid that crossed up Steph Curry. weighs 190lbs. but watching him play it doesnt seem to effect him. Seems real humble. Needs some red beans and rice and a protein shake after, but wouldnt mind seeing this kid in Carolina Blue. Matchup nightmare.

I’ve read that Chandler loves dook and is from Memphis! That usually doesn’t workout well and I’m sure Shady penny will be all over him $$$$$

Slow start to 2021. It seems we won't be getting that early high star commit that's been our recruiting staple for over a decade. Imagine we'll see a few offers go out in spring. Doubt we see any of our current offers don the right shade of blue.

Slow start to 2021. It seems we won't be getting that early high star commit that's been our recruiting staple for over a decade. Imagine we'll see a few offers go out in spring. Doubt we see any of our current offers don the right shade of blue.

I think the 2020 class has something to do with that. So many of those guys are borderline OAD so I'm sure 2021 kids have absolutely no idea who will be on our team when they arrive.

Reactions: Archer2 and TheGLOV
I think the 2020 class has something to do with that. So many of those guys are borderline OAD so I'm sure 2021 kids have absolutely no idea who will be on our team when they arrive.

I agree. 15 years ago, not one single guy from our 2020 class would even consider going after one year. But in this day and time, with mediocre players declaring after one year, there’s really no way to know. And that sucks for recruits. But it sucks a whole lot more for Roy. And us as fans. It definitely sucks for us too.

Right. Also I believe loaded everywhere except wing.
Backcourt
Love
RJ
Ant
Francis

Wing
Leaky
Puff

Frontcourt
Bacot (I think)
Brooks
Sharpe
Kessler

I think Love and Sharpe are OAD. Kessler seems like a guy that wants the degree when going to the NBA.

I agree. 15 years ago, not one single guy from our 2020 class would even consider going after one year. But in this day and time, with mediocre players declaring after one year, there’s really no way to know. And that sucks for recruits. But it sucks a whole lot more for Roy. And us as fans. It definitely sucks for us too.

Isn't it something? 2006, 3 top 10 recruits, 2 other in the top 50 and only OAD (Wright). Now we are worried that 3 guys, none in top 10 could be OAD

Reactions: Archer2
I think it highly unlikely any of Love, RJ, Sharpe OR Kessler intend to play 4 yrs in college.

I do think that the buzz on Sharpe and Love makes them easy choices to think OAD.
Front court depth MIGHT keep Kessler in college for an extra year, R.J. might need to run the show on his own for a year and he’ll have to prove he can outplay his size.

Right now, the safe bet for playing to graduation is Puff... and if he’s anything like Cam in the classroom, that only 3 yrs!

As for Love, RJ, Sharpe and Kessler, whether they stay 1,2,3 or 4 years I hope they all come back to finish their degrees (and to collect their rings)

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT