ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

Looks like we're the leaders for Gosnell. He'll most likely be switching positions from TE to OLB.
So much has changed over the past few weeks. Looks like we are in great position with Gosnell, good position with Grimes and possibly Givens as well. Pope and Covil aren't flipping (at least to us) and we may have cooled on Hardy.

With Elliott now at uva what’s the chances he reaches out to rice? Sure he will but hopefully Zach is firm with us. Same can be said for Greene.

With Elliott now at uva what’s the chances he reaches out to rice? Sure he will but hopefully Zach is firm with us. Same can be said for Greene.
I would imagine Elliott would reach out, but I'm guessing Rice wouldn't do anything without knowing who the OC and OL coaches will be.

Chapel Fowler on recruiting in VA

A quote that nails it, and only it: “Mack is, to this day, one of the top two or three recruiters or closers or whatever you want to call it that I’ve been around in this business,” On3 senior recruiting analyst Gerry Hamilton said in August. “So when he was hired at North Carolina, I had little doubt he was going to make an immediate impact.”

If you sign the top rated classes, but you keep finishing out of 1st place, you are Mr. February (and for our time Mr December). Mack had a grand total of 2 Big 12 championships at Texas. That's with all that history and the filled 100,000 seat stadium and the pre-Saban Saban-like string of 8 or 9 Top 10 recruiting classes, at least half of those Top 5.

A really hard hitting article on that from an OK guy I recall reading years ago focused on 1 of his TX classes that was Top 5 nationally and #1 in the Big 12. The writer said that Mack's class had more 5 and 4* players than did all the Big 12 North combined minus Nebraska, and yet over the next 4 years that Texas class failed to win a single Big 12 Championship.

K-State's Bill Snyder also won 2 Big 12 championships, but he probably never signed a single 5* in his career and he probably never signed a class with more than three 4* recruits. In fact, more than a few K-St starters were 2* coming out of HS.

Like UNC basketball, Texas football recruits for itself: the history and the pageantry and the stadium/gym and the huge number of fans recruit regardless of HC or even recent successes. UNC football is not in that category. If UNC football amasses a whole lot of talent and keeps falling short, even Mack Brown will hit the brick wall in recruiting. That would be true if he were a decade younger.

Not really the answer I was hoping for. Hoping he wouldn’t even listen and be fully committed
Especially if it's a school like UVA (or a program like, say, Clemson or FSU or UGA or PSU) in your home state, I think you have to listen.

If he listens and visits, my fear is that the limitations of Searels could become more focused in Rice's mind.

Chapel Fowler on recruiting in VA

A quote that nails it, and only it: “Mack is, to this day, one of the top two or three recruiters or closers or whatever you want to call it that I’ve been around in this business,” On3 senior recruiting analyst Gerry Hamilton said in August. “So when he was hired at North Carolina, I had little doubt he was going to make an immediate impact.”

If you sign the top rated classes, but you keep finishing out of 1st place, you are Mr. February (and for our time Mr December). Mack had a grand total of 2 Big 12 championships at Texas. That's with all that history and the filled 100,000 seat stadium and the pre-Saban Saban-like string of 8 or 9 Top 10 recruiting classes, at least half of those Top 5.

A really hard hitting article on that from an OK guy I recall reading years ago focused on 1 of his TX classes that was Top 5 nationally and #1 in the Big 12. The writer said that Mack's class had more 5 and 4* players than did all the Big 12 North combined minus Nebraska, and yet over the next 4 years that Texas class failed to win a single Big 12 Championship.

K-State's Bill Snyder also won 2 Big 12 championships, but he probably never signed a single 5* in his career and he probably never signed a class with more than three 4* recruits. In fact, more than a few K-St starters were 2* coming out of HS.

Like UNC basketball, Texas football recruits for itself: the history and the pageantry and the stadium/gym and the huge number of fans recruit regardless of HC or even recent successes. UNC football is not in that category. If UNC football amasses a whole lot of talent and keeps falling short, even Mack Brown will hit the brick wall in recruiting. That would be true if he were a decade younger.
It's nice to know you can still find a positive article about UNC and turn it into a negative.

Reactions: heelfan1961
It's nice to know you can still find a positive article about UNC and turn it into a negative.
If next year's team finishes 8-4 and not in the ACC CG, will you be happy, or will you wonder why with all those highly rated recruits UNC still can't win the Coastal that continues to be in turmoil?

Next year, the Coastal will have 4 new HCs: Miami, UVA, VPI, and Dook. The first three are the only schools that should be able to finish within 2 games of UNC (Pitt has a lot of rebuilding to do, and GT still lacks talent to win more than 5 games), and each will be breaking in a new HC. The Hoo and Hokie coaches will be 1st time HCs. Things are arranged so that with all the talent UNC will have, anything short of a Coastal crown and 10 wins is underachieving.

And yes, Xs and Os matter as much as Jimmys and Joes. John Blake had 3 consecutive losing teams at OU - which is like 3 consecutive losing basketball teams at UNC. Bob Stoops replaced Blake and won the National Championship in his 2nd season. Blake had lots of top level Jimmys and Joes (his dirty recruiting bore much bigger fruit at OU than at UNC), but he was dumb as a post. Bob Stoops and his staff provided the needed Xs and Os.

If you fail to dominate the division and win the league and/or win a Major Bowl, is it of much value to have the highest ranked recruiting class? Would Clemson fans be happy with Dabo if he kept winning the recruiting wars but couldn't do better than 9-3 and did not win the ACC Championship?

You are what you tolerate.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
If next year's team finishes 8-4 and not in the ACC CG, will you be happy, or will you wonder why with all those highly rated recruits UNC still can't win the Coastal that continues to be in turmoil?

Next year, the Coastal will have 4 new HCs: Miami, UVA, VPI, and Dook. The first three are the only schools that should be able to finish within 2 games of UNC (Pitt has a lot of rebuilding to do, and GT still lacks talent to win more than 5 games), and each will be breaking in a new HC. The Hoo and Hokie coaches will be 1st time HCs. Things are arranged so that with all the talent UNC will have, anything short of a Coastal crown and 10 wins is underachieving.

And yes, Xs and Os matter as much as Jimmys and Joes. John Blake had 3 consecutive losing teams at OU - which is like 3 consecutive losing basketball teams at UNC. Bob Stoops replaced Blake and won the National Championship in his 2nd season. Blake had lots of top level Jimmys and Joes (his dirty recruiting bore much bigger fruit at OU than at UNC), but he was dumb as a post. Bob Stoops and his staff provided the needed Xs and Os.

If you fail to dominate the division and win the league and/or win a Major Bowl, is it of much value to have the highest ranked recruiting class? Would Clemson fans be happy with Dabo if he kept winning the recruiting wars but couldn't do better than 9-3 and did not win the ACC Championship?

You are what you tolerate.
You completely ignored the point of my comment.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I know some don’t but I wish bly could pull some magic with everette appears that is gone though

Especially if it's a school like UVA (or a program like, say, Clemson or FSU or UGA or PSU) in your home state, I think you have to listen.

If he listens and visits, my fear is that the limitations of Searels could become more focused in Rice's mind.
Seriously? UVa is in complete disarray. Transfers and flips all over the place.

Any potentional flips either to us or from us today?
Was hoping for 1-2, got Hardy but looks like Grimes is staying with Wake and Clemson looks like they'll hang on to the rest of their group. Was a lot of talk about Trenton Simpson transferring from Clemson, he was a UNC lean until he got his dream offer from Clemson 2 years ago. We'll see how that goes. But I do think Mack hits the portal for several guys.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Rivals has him 3* and #8 in the state and TOS 4* and #4 in state. The sites agree on the top 3 the 2 WR's and the edge rusher.
His rankings dropped after he missed a few games this year in addition to his team not updating his stats onto Maxpreps. He was ranked in the top 175 in the country on some sites. I assure you, though, there is a reason Alabama, Clemson, UGA and Ohio State are drooling over him. Never seen a 285 pound kid get off the line like this kid does. Also has close to a 4.0 GPA.

@NBBears20124ACHAMPS, see KJ’s dad made a statement saying they are going to at least make a visit to Chapel Hill in March 26, any news besides that??
Visit on March 26th is done. They'll need to wow him as Bateman did an extremely poor job showing him love. I think he wants to announce in the fall so let's hope Mack, Chizik and Warren can do some work on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT