ADVERTISEMENT

2022 UNC Transfer Thread

the quarterback hunter, grzesiak, has a former unc coach as the head coach…he’s in the portal and there’s linkage in the twitterverse.

Agreed, but many of the players I was so hyped about are now gone. I can’t help but wonder if we’ve maximized their talent.
And yet, if Maye returns to his prior level of confidence, he may well be the best QB in the nation.

Some recruits won't pan out. Some suffered injuries like Storm Duck, who may well become a bigtime cb and play on Sundays but not here.

Personally, I think we've kind of weighed players recruiting resume too much. Rucker, for example, is frankly better than Des Evans. That could change but that's reality imo.

Play the best players, not the best "potential."

And yet, if Maye returns to his prior level of confidence, he may well be the best QB in the nation.

Some recruits won't pan out. Some suffered injuries like Storm Duck, who may well become a bigtime cb and play on Sundays but not here.

Personally, I think we've kind of weighed players recruiting resume too much. Rucker, for example, is frankly better than Des Evans. That could change but that's reality imo.

Play the best players, not the best "potential."
Des is better against the run using his 6'6 body and was in his natural position this year before his season ending injury. Des plays end while Rucker plays the jack position. If UNC truly weighted those recruiting resumes as much as you think; Rice, Nesbit, Pettaway, RaRa, Nash, Bingley Jones, Silver, Sutton etc would've started this year. All of those players were 4/5 stars out of high school and 3 (thus far) have transferred out due to lack of playing time. Word is Rice (5 star) has been passed on the depth chart at RT by a 3 star. Thought he would start in 2022 but he might not even start the season as the #1 RT in 2023. A lot of these transfers will be taking over starting roles -- I expect 3-4 more to hit the portal in the Spring as the depth chart gets clearer.

Last edited:
for-sale.gif

Please Mack.

If UNC truly weighted those recruiting resumes as much as you think; Rice, Nesbit, Pettaway, RaRa, Nash, Bingley Jones, Silver, Sutton etc would've started this year. All of those players were 4/5 stars out of high school and 3 (thus far) have transferred out due to lack of playing time. Word is Rice (5 star) has been passed on the depth chart at RT by a 3 star. Thought he would start in 2022 but he might not even start the season as the #1 RT in 2023. A lot of these transfers will be taking over starting roles -- I expect 3-4 more to hit the portal in the Spring as the depth chart gets clearer.
Amen. Mack has been doing anything but giving precedence to his highly ranked recruits.

Amen. Mack has been doing anything but giving precedence to his highly ranked recruits.
Which means almost all of them were bust (highly unlikely, but would be a recruiting mistake by the staff) and/or the staff did a poor job with development.

Reactions: Archer2
Which means almost all of them were bust (highly unlikely, but would be a recruiting mistake by the staff) and/or the staff did a poor job with development.
Little bit of everything. Silver admitted that he didn't work out during covid and got way too heavy. RaRa said no to moving to Safety and is just too light to play the position he wants/wanted, which is LB. Rice (5 star) pancaked everyone in high school and needs to learn proper technique at the P5 level. With a full season now to get acclimated to college, I'm sure hoping he gets on the field here in 7-8 months as we desperately need some help on the OL. Nesbit can't block, so he'll never be a full-time starter. Nash couldn't sniff the field, not sure what that issue is all about. Pettaway showed what he can do on teams with his ability to return and will get more time in 2023 as he gets better with protection. Will be interesting as these guys transferring didn't come here to sit on the bench.

UNC just nabbed one of the highest graded OL in the portal. Lampkin is a Center out of Coastal Carolina and will have two years of eligibility left.
What do we think about this one? Starter or backup?

espn and coastal carolina site list him as 6'0 275.

That might be fine if he's a tough and mobile SOB who does a lot of pulling, but on the 3rd and inches type plays where we we need some push it could be a liability in that he can only get so much push.

Smallest center in NFL is 6'2 296. I'm sure people will bring up leverage and Aaron Donald, but that only goes so far.

That might be fine if he's a tough and mobile SOB who does a lot of pulling, but on the 3rd and inches type plays where we we need some push it could be a liability in that he can only get so much push.

Smallest center in NFL is 6'2 296. I'm sure people will bring up leverage and Aaron Donald, but that only goes so far.
Think he'll backup Gaynor in 23 and start in 24. Good to have experienced depth at C (really anywhere on the OL) in case Gaynor gets injured. He def makes up for his size with his toughness/quickness off the ball.

Reactions: tarheel0910

If he gets it done, that's all that counts. Force is a product of size AND momentum (quickness off the ball), and is leveraged, well through leverage. The lower center of gravity can be an advantage if used properly.

Yeah, it's a challenge but the guy showed he could get it done.

May start next year or may be the back-up and perhaps start at and play guard. Either way, he's solid.

ADVERTISEMENT