ADVERTISEMENT

A bye week to get rested for the stretch...

Archer2

Hall of Famer
Aug 5, 2009
The Old North State
Couldn’t come at a better time. A week to heal up a little and get reenergized for the last seven games. Mack gave them Sunday and Monday off to get totally away from football(no lifting, no anything football related). That should be good for them.

I’ve been wondering about the red shirt status of our freshmen. According to what I read elsewhere, we have two who have played in four games, meaning an appearance in one more game will not allow them to RS this year:

LB Eugene Asante
WR Emery Simmons

We have nine freshmen who have already played in too many games to RS this year:

QB Sam Howell
CB Storm Duck
S Don Chapman
P Ben Kiernan
LB Khadry Jackson
DL Tomari Fox
LS Drew Little
S Cam’Ron Kelly
CB Obi Egbuna

Do we continue to play Asante and Simmons or shut their seasons down unless we have additional injuries? My guess is the latter.

Couldn’t come at a better time. A week to heal up a little and get reenergized for the last seven games. Mack gave them Sunday and Monday off to get totally away from football(no lifting, no anything football related). That should be good for them.

I’ve been wondering about the red shirt status of our freshmen. According to what I read elsewhere, we have two who have played in four games, meaning an appearance in one more game will not allow them to RS this year:

LB Eugene Asante
WR Emery Simmons

We have nine freshmen who have already played in too many games to RS this year:

QB Sam Howell
CB Storm Duck
S Don Chapman
P Ben Kiernan
LB Khadry Jackson
DL Tomari Fox
LS Drew Little
S Cam’Ron Kelly
CB Obi Egbuna

Do we continue to play Asante and Simmons or shut their seasons down unless we have additional injuries? My guess is the latter.
I was hoping to see more of Simmons this year, but since we have some solid WR's - except for those damn drops! - in Dazz, Beau, Dyami, and Toe, it might be best for Emery to watch and learn the remainder of the season; provided everyone stays healthy (please... everyone stay healthy! Had enough season ending injuries the last 2.5 seasons to last a lifetime).

Last edited:
This bye week seems about perfectly timed... halfway through the season that started with 5 tough games, and we go into the break off our most dominate win so far.

Great time to rest and refocus for another tough 3 game stretch: @vt, dook, uva. And then another well timed bye before a Thursday night game at Pitt.

This bye week seems about perfectly timed... halfway through the season that started with 5 tough games, and we go into the break off our most dominate win so far.

Great time to rest and refocus for another tough 3 game stretch: @vt, dook, uva. And then another well timed bye before a Thursday night game at Pitt.
Tech's offense seemed revitalized with a new QB under center. But their win was predicated on the five TO's they forced. They managed to almost blow a 28 point lead by allowing Miami to score 3 times in 4 minutes but held on to win a wild shootout. Their new QB isn't going to kill you with his arm but he can with his legs, he's a local boy from Greensboro.

With a week off to rest and get prepared, we'll once again need to bring our A game in order to prevail up in Blacksburg.

I got to watch some of the dook-Pitt game. It was sloppy at times but we can’t afford to overlook those teams either. Didn’t realize that dook’s offense runs some triple option. Not looking forward to that.

Stating the obvious here, but we could realistically win or lose every game left on our schedule, except Mercer. So we could finish anywhere from 4-8 to 9-3. The latter would be far better for our program’s growth.

If Polino were to come back against VT, I would feel much more confident. Unfortunately, we don’t know if/when he may return.

So it will be imperative that we concentrate on the next opponent, whoever it may be, and continue to improve on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Brian Anderson has made some tangible improvement at the center spot. Having Polino’s experience and depth would obviously be nice but I feel much better about the O line than I did when he went down.

I agree. Our young OL has improved every week and should be very good in the future.

Our injury rate has to start regressing towards the mean at some point right?...

Right?

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT