ADVERTISEMENT

a few jordyn adams passes

Are we sure Jordyn Adams will pass up the MLB draft? He could be an early round pick.

I've said for years that guys with football skills should go college even if they think they are more likely to make big in MLB, unless they get offered HUGE money for a team they really want to play for. Because in a top league, college baseball is very high quality. You get good training and competition without the awful life of Rookie League and Single A pro ball.

And you get to keep exploring football.

Are we sure Jordyn Adams will pass up the MLB draft? He could be an early round pick.

I've said for years that guys with football skills should go college even if they think they are more likely to make big in MLB, unless they get offered HUGE money for a team they really want to play for. Because in a top league, college baseball is very high quality. You get good training and competition without the awful life of Rookie League and Single A pro ball.

And you get to keep exploring football.
It's definitely possible he could go the MLB route. Not sure where he's projected, but even 4th round picks can get $200k+ signing bonuses. That's hard to pass up.

It's definitely possible he could go the MLB route. Not sure where he's projected, but even 4th round picks can get $200k+ signing bonuses. That's hard to pass up.
I just don’t see $200k as life changing money when you consider his circumstance. And he’s not getting much more than that barring some weird shenanigans. Play football and dabble in baseball. If he makes some noice for the Diamond Heels, maybe he moves into the first couple rounds.

I just don’t see $200k as life changing money when you consider his circumstance. And he’s not getting much more than that barring some weird shenanigans. Play football and dabble in baseball. If he makes some noice for the Diamond Heels, maybe he moves into the first couple rounds.
I don't know anything about his circumstances, but $200k might be a bigger deal for an 18 year old than a 30+ year old. There were actually players taken in the 4th that made double that. You've also got to remember that if he plays college baseball he has to stay for 3 years. He runs the risk of moving down just as much as moving up. All that being said, I haven't seen any mock drafts that show anything past the first round. He may not be taken anywhere close to the 4th round.

hard to see 200k (taxed) as life-changing if you don't have a degree. If sports don't pan out, a big chunk of that 200k is going to get eaten up quickly by your costs of education as you transition to non-sports.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
I don't know anything about his circumstances, but $200k might be a bigger deal for an 18 year old than a 30+ year old. There were actually players taken in the 4th that made double that. You've also got to remember that if he plays college baseball he has to stay for 3 years. He runs the risk of moving down just as much as moving up. All that being said, I haven't seen any mock drafts that show anything past the first round. He may not be taken anywhere close to the 4th round.
His dad makes more than that annually. He’s not hard up for money. My brother was offered more out of HS and our family made half of what Deke does. Jordyn would be short-sighted to forgoe UNC football over a small payday.

big chunk of that 200k is going to get eaten up quickly by your costs of education as you transition to non-sports.
It's not uncommon for it to be written into a contract for the team to pay for school if it doesn't work out.

Jordyn would be short-sighted to forgoe UNC football over a small payday.
Yeah, because 18 year olds are always thinking about the long term and never make decisions that can be short sided. It's all a hypothetical though. For all I know he could be drafted in the last round and none of this matters. But if you guys don't think that kind of money wouldn't give an 18 year old something to consider, then you aren't being honest with yourself.

hard to see 200k (taxed) as life-changing if you don't have a degree. If sports don't pan out, a big chunk of that 200k is going to get eaten up quickly by your costs of education as you transition to non-sports.
But if he goes MLB and washes out, he can return to college football.

That is what all of them that take the MLB money know.

His dad makes more than that annually. He’s not hard up for money. My brother was offered more out of HS and our family made half of what Deke does. Jordyn would be short-sighted to forgoe UNC football over a small payday.
Not so long ago, I made the same argument about a top HS dual sport recruit who'd committed to UNC. But he went to minor league baseball. And washed out.

I think the college route is the best for virtually all of those with major 2 sport potential. But kids will be kids.

It's not uncommon for it to be written into a contract for the team to pay for school if it doesn't work out.

Yeah, because 18 year olds are always thinking about the long term and never make decisions that can be short sided. It's all a hypothetical though. For all I know he could be drafted in the last round and none of this matters. But if you guys don't think that kind of money wouldn't give an 18 year old something to consider, then you aren't being honest with yourself.
Again, the kid is coming from a family with money. $200k ain’t gonna move the needle. You’re the one fooling yourself thinking he’s comparable to other kids in the draft.

Now if he thinks he has a serious shot to make it in baseball over football, that’s a different story.

Again, the kid is coming from a family with money.
Right a family, not him specifically. Do you know if daddy is giving him access to that money?

You’re the one fooling yourself thinking he’s comparable to other kids in the draft.
I never said he was comparable other than he is an 18 year old and 18 year olds think about things differently because they don't have life experience. But you know this. You're just doing what you always do and are trying to troll.

Right a family, not him specifically. Do you know if daddy is giving him access to that money?

I never said he was comparable other than he is an 18 year old and 18 year olds think about things differently because they don't have life experience. But you know this. You're just doing what you always do and are trying to troll.

- the kid is intelligent. He understands the lifestyle he has now and will have going forward. $200k after taxes isn't much to continue that lifestyle. His parents will make that clear. The life of a big 3 sport athlete at UNC is far greater than the life of any rookie, low A or high A baseball player. I can speak to this personally.

- not trolling. Did you ever stop to consider what the person you are arguing with is trying to say? It seems like you seldom do. A differing opinion isn't trolling.

- the kid is intelligent. He understands the lifestyle he has now and will have going forward. $200k after taxes isn't much to continue that lifestyle. His parents will make that clear. The life of a big 3 sport athlete at UNC is far greater than the life of any rookie, low A or high A baseball player. I can speak to this personally.
All that's nice and can be true for some people, but once again you're assuming an 18 year old is always thinking rationally. It's pretty obvious to anyone not living under a rock that there are some 18 year olds who aren't rational.

- not trolling. Did you ever stop to consider what the person you are arguing with is trying to say? It seems like you seldom do. A differing opinion isn't trolling.
I always consider it. That's not what you do though. Your MO is to see an opinion and disagree with it automatically. You say you're always right without offering any proof. Maybe you really are as arrogant as your posts indicate. I was just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by saying you troll.

good points. Financial literacy is horrible among americans, but Adams is from a good fam.

All that's nice and can be true for some people, but once again you're assuming an 18 year old is always thinking rationally. It's pretty obvious to anyone not living under a rock that there are some 18 year olds who aren't rational.

I always consider it. That's not what you do though. Your MO is to see an opinion and disagree with it automatically. You say you're always right without offering any proof. Maybe you really are as arrogant as your posts indicate. I was just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by saying you troll.

- this kid is the son of an affluent coach. He is intelligent. If any 18 year old were equipped to handle this decision, it would be him. You’re reasoning for him being irrational has no basis. You’re arguing to argue.

- I don’t offer my opinion on things I’m not sure/educated about. I would advise you do the same.

- this kid is the son of an affluent coach. He is intelligent. If any 18 year old were equipped to handle this decision, it would be him. You’re reasoning for him being irrational has no basis. You’re arguing to argue.
All I have said is that it is possible that as an 18 year old kid, he may make an irrational choice. Of course neither choice in this case is actually irrational. You continue to say no possibility exist even though you can't read his mind. You responded to my days old post and started this back and forth not me.

- I don’t offer my opinion on things I’m not sure/educated about. I would advise you do the same.
So it's arrogance. Thanks for clarifying. Anyway I'm done with this. Have a wonderful weekend.

All I have said is that it is possible that as an 18 year old kid, he may make an irrational choice. Of course neither choice in this case is actually irrational. You continue to say no possibility exist even though you can't read his mind. You responded to my days old post and started this back and forth not me.

So it's arrogance. Thanks for clarifying. Anyway I'm done with this. Have a wonderful weekend.
- you initially asserted that $200k is a big deal to an 18 year old. I pointed out this kid was not your typical 18 year old and there were mitigating factors at play. Instead of simply agreeing with me, you moved your goal posts and continued to argue nonsense.

- now you, having nothing left to stand on, are taking your ball and going home. This is the third time or so you've done this with me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT