ADVERTISEMENT

A new feature for the 2019 season -Qwoadables

ticket2ride04

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 13, 2004
Each week we present a hot take from yesteryear where someone got it really wrong. It can be another poster or yourself. Feel free to add. First up:

It is not more important than improving the D, but it is next in line. Williams as QB means our offense is backyard football: the QB is going to run and run until he passes, and then run again and again. It means our RBs and Wrs are both terribly under-used and under-developed. It means any decent DC knows hwo to slow and contain our 1 dimensional offense.

It means that if our D gets better, we still won't crack 8 Ws because the 1 dimensional offense is too easily slowed when a team wants to slow it to win.

Reactions: UNC '92
There is a lot of material out there for sure. I didn't even have to go that far back to find this nugget...

Some of us knew Bunting was doomed when he was introduced as Head Football Coach and he was wearing a dark brown shirt.
Larry showed his true colors when he embarrassed a prominent Rams Club doner at a Greensboro function before he had ever coached a game in BKS. And then had the audacity to bring the situation up every year at the annual function. Larry started out being a jerk, and he never did anything to make me change my opinion of him. The worst part is that Bubba was there, he must have known Larry was an a**h*** when he hired him and let that behavior go on through out his tenure. Either Bubba couldn't find anyone else to take the job or he didn't know what he was doing. Either way, I do not trust him with our Athletic Department moving forward.

Somebody find those posts about how we should run the triple option
You are making more of an argument for Strong. Follow me here. Strong has proven to be a great recruiter and can win games (Texas excluded but that's a different animal). If we move on from Larry, we will pay him $13MM to do so. We will then be locking up at minimum $15MM for a new coach and staff over the next 5 years. If that staff stumbles, we will be firing them shortly and looking again. This whole decision process is going to cost around $30MM give or take.

In light of all that, Strong is the safe choice to come in and rebuild/stabilize the school. He is 58 so he won't be coaching forever. That gives us more time to identify top targets. We can also assume the Strong will load the rosters during this time period. He will energize the fans/faculty/PTBs and attendance/support will increase. All of that will make UNC a much more attractive destination for a top tier coach in 5-7 years.

Reactions: Raising Heel

I mean to be fair, Wisconsin isn’t on our schedule anytime soon lol

New week

Surratt was NOT a defensive player in high school. He had a total of like 20 tackles over 4 years in high school. His brother was a solid defensive back but not Chaz. Kid will
Not be a linebacker for us, that’s just silly as hell honestly. I’m not saying he’s soft, but he’s not a d1 linebacker. He would
Be better suited putting on some weight and moving to tight end.

I was simply pointing out that he was not a defensive player in high school as you claimed, not even close. Again, he’s more than capable athletically of playing many positions but college linebacker isn’t the easiest thing to just pick up. I’d be very worried if we are relying on Surratt at linebacker. But then again I don’t believe he will play linebacker.

Not knocking you, but fairly confident it ain’t happening. Deana is great at what she does, but reporting on position changes this early is pie in the sky silly talk.

And to be quite literal, Mack has been on the job for 2 weeks and spent almost all
His time filling out his staff and contacting committed players, meanwhile existing players were preparing for exams. I seriously doubt he’s already met with Surratt and said hey buddy you are going to play linebacker despite not having the size and never playing it before. Stick with the narrative though.....

I'm like 99.9% confident that he will never play a single snap at LB.

I don't doubt they've heard stuff, and are reporting what they know. They may very well try it out in spring camp. I just don't see him pulling it off.

Agreed. As I said, he’s a good enough athlete to play other positions but linebacker won’t be one of them. Tight end makes the most sense but could also see him as an inside/possession receiver. But if he does, I’d be worried about our talent level at that position at this level if we are relying on a good athlete who has never played the position at this level, Who also happens to be about too small and has also been injury prone going back to his senior year of high school.

Deana has taken a liking to the Surratt boys going back to high school. I don’t doubt she’s heard things, I simply doubt she’s heard anything from the people who actually make those decisions. 2 very different things.

AJ has really improved the board. Tons of content.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think CS can’t be a good LBer?

Undersized, injury prone, and simply not a physical player by nature. Great athlete but not physical and that goes back to high school days. You’ve got to be a dog to play linebacket at this level. There were many bigger programs who
Showed interest in high school Surratt as an athlete/receiver, but not a QB. We were best program option willing to let him get a fair chance at QB. Looks like he may end up where he prob
Should have been from the jump and that’s as an athlete/Slot WR/TE on the offensive side of the ball.

Kid can be a great WR or TE...Speaking on Chaz...Also it was his throwing arm he hurt in high school from what I know...Tore his elbow up and has never been the same...

undersized for LB but not SS or FS, wouldn't say he was injury prone although he did go out both seasons with an injury, seemed physical for a QB but that's different than physical on D. Agree I don't see him as a LB but SS or FS, yes.

Surratt could be a Hback or WR. I bet he gets a shot at QB in spring practice especially if we do not get a QB this coming class. If Longo likes Surratt at QB and teaches him how to read the D....look out.

I’ll be amazed if he ever plays LB for us. DB or WR? Sure. LB? That’s a whole different mentality.

We shall see. I don’t expect to see him at QB again. Ruder, Fortin, or possibly Howell is our QB going forward.

As I've said before, if Surratt is switching to D, I would want to see him at safety.

don't know of anyone pulling against Chazz to be a good LB. i, and many more, thought he might be more help at another position but if he can make it at LB (a position we needed help at) then all the better. still think it says a lot about our team that a guy who played QB for 2 years, then had to switch positions and ended up at LB, and started the season opener. hope we're never in that type of position again

what is the point raising heel? best i remember all but 2 or 3 people last season wanted nothing more than to see chazz get a chance at a position other than QB. just some difference of opinion on what that position should be.

don't know of anyone pulling against Chazz to be a good LB. i, and many more, thought he might be more help at another position but if he can make it at LB (a position we needed help at) then all the better. still think it says a lot about our team that a guy who played QB for 2 years, then had to switch positions and ended up at LB, and started the season opener. hope we're never in that type of position again

This is a thread where we laugh at ourselves. Please don’t take yourself seriously if you wish to view this thread.

To be fair, I don't think anyone predicted he would already be doing this well. It's also just one game, so let's wait a couple more games before we announce him as the Heisman winner.
Nope. But multiple posters emphatically stated he would never play LBer despite it being reported by AJ that Mack was moving him there.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I'm glad the coaches listened to me and started throwing the ball in the second half. I wouldn't say that makes me a genius though. It does make the staff look like geniuses because they listened though.
It was frustrating to see us settling for FGs in the first half, but the coaching staff had the perfect plan to ease Sam into the game, and then unleash him in the 2nd half. Fortunately, it worked out for us.

But we all know the only reason we won the game was because I stopped poasting in the game thread after Sam fumbled. :D

It was frustrating to see us settling for FGs in the first half, but the coaching staff had the perfect plan to ease Sam into the game, and then unleash him in the 2nd half. Fortunately, it worked out for us.

But we all know the only reason we won the game was because I stopped poasting in the game thread after Sam fumbled. :D
Yeah, I figured they were just trying to ease him into the game. That was just me venting during the game like everyone does in game threads. He knows that, but he's just trying to troll me. For some reason he is obsessed with me and @uncboy10.

Yeah, I figured they were just trying to ease him into the game. That was just me venting during the game like everyone does in game threads. He knows that, but he's just trying to troll me. For some reason he is obsessed with me and @uncboy10.

He even copied my avatar, but gave the color scheme the ‘Fedora treatment.’

Reactions: tarheel0910
He even copied my avatar, but gave the color scheme the ‘Fedora treatment.’
He actually reported me to AJ because I responded to him with a pic of a trolling motor. He's a sensitive little guy when you don't play his game.

He actually reported me to AJ because I responded to him with a pic of a trolling motor. He's a sensitive little guy when you don't play his game.

Most of your posts provide some form of entertainment, but you take out your frustrations by derailing threads whenever someone messes with you or says something you just can't quite get over

Pretty much anything goes for me as long as it's not racist, homophobic or player bashing

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT