ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Recruiting Class Rankings During Transfer Mania

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
The class rankings I see on 247 seem to be based on incoming freshmen and juco players* but not transfers. This year most teams have lost or gained players through the portal. Many have lost and gained transfers. So how does that affect things? Here's a look using 247's current ranking order.

TeamClass Rank - ACC (US)Freshmen - Total (ranks)Transfers In - Total (ranks)Transfers lost - total
Duke1 (3)4 - (3, 13, 20, 102)2 - (204, NR)4
Florida State2 (4)3 - (25, 34, 62)3 - (71, 197, 199)*0
Louisville3 (17)2 - (69, 77)3 - (80, 95, NR)*2
Miami4 (21)3 - (75, 96, 119)1 - (71)5
NC State5 (22)3 - (66, 83, 166)2 - (56, 67)1
Ga Tech6 (26)3 - (55, 116, 158)1 - (64)1
UNC7 (40)2 - (64, 65)2 - (117, 229)3
Wake Forest8 (42)3 - (121, 129, 175)1 - (NR)4
Notre Dame9 (65)2 - (109, 139)1 - (NR)1
Clemson10 (58)2 - (131, 154)1 - (212)1
Syracuse11 (73)1 - (26)2 - (75, NR)3
Virginia12 (79)1 - (84)2 - (151, NR)3
Va Tech13 (88)2 - (133, NR)1 - (255)1
Boston Coll14 (92)2 - (169, NR)2 - (NR, NR)5
Pittsburgh15 (108)1 - (227)04

*juco players are included in transfer numbers in the table

Last edited:
I didn't include players going pro. Wasn't sure where to get that info, and this was already more work than I had intended to put in. So if you are mulling this over, you'll have to factor that in.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Moo's success at this juncture is a surprise to me! I like Keatts, but I didn't expect that many peeps to willingly jump into a dumpster fire! I think ours will jump a bit as soon as we get the next Family member!

Prec the work!

Moo's success at this juncture is a surprise to me! I like Keatts, but I didn't expect that many peeps to willingly jump into a dumpster fire! I think ours will jump a bit as soon as we get the next Family member!

Prec the work!
Yeah, they picked up 4 top-100 guys, 2 with experience. It will be interesting to see what Keatts can do with that.

I know Bennett always seems to have some guys in the wings who do really well when it's their turn. And I know I'm always wrong when I expect that "this year's team" (whatever year it happens to be) can't possibly be as good as the previous year. But, really, it's hard to see how this year's team can be as good as last years'. Keeping in mind that they just won the ACC regular season for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Doesn’t look great for us so far. It will be interesting to see if we can make up ground on our competition. I think Manek was a very good pickup because we’re paper thin at C/PF, but we he’s a one year player.

The ‘22 class will be critical for us. For that matter, we really need to add at least one more big for the upcoming season. If Bacot or Manek were to miss significant time, we’d have no choice but to play small ball.

Doesn’t look great for us so far. It will be interesting to see if we can make up ground on our competition. I think Manek was a very good pickup because we’re paper thin at C/PF, but we he’s a one year player.

The ‘22 class will be critical for us. For that matter, we really need to add at least one more big for the upcoming season. If Bacot or Manek were to miss significant time, we’d have no choice but to play small ball.
Even if both Bacot and Manek play 30 minutes and stay out of foul trouble, that's only 60 minutes out of the 80 front line minutes we need to cover.

Unless someone steps up big time, you probably want at least one of them on the floor all the time. So basically that means they only get to play together for 20 minutes of the game. The other 20 minutes, it's one OR the other and a sub.

Manek is listed at 6'9 but doesn't look that big, so we could be playing a good bit of smallish ball.

I think McKoy will surprise and be really effective at 4. I think our small ball could be 6'8, 6'8, 6'9 across the frontline if HUbs wants to do that. I also would bet we add an additional Big from one of the sources out there before September!

A fascinating list. Only 34 total incoming freshmen among the 15 ACC teams. With some players turning pro and normal attrition, you expect to sign 4 freshmen per year. Yet, most ACC teams, including UNC, only added two. Duke is the only team with four incoming freshmen. Considering that the conference was not particularly good last year, it looks like another down year for the ACC

We lost much more talent than we gained which is a net loss going into next year. Not sure why HD didn’t at least get one more big man because we have to have someone to back up Bacot. He can’t play 40 mpg and there is always risk of injury.

One of my main concerns with this staff was their recruiting ability given that it lacks a proven surefire recruiter and Roy Williams and Steve Robinson for many years have been the key recruiters for Carolina. I think Sean May can become a great recruiter but I’m less confident in the others.

We lost much more talent than we gained which is a net loss going into next year. Not sure why HD didn’t at least get one more big man because we have to have someone to back up Bacot. He can’t play 40 mpg and there is always risk of injury.

One of my main concerns with this staff was their recruiting ability given that it lacks a proven surefire recruiter and Roy Williams and Steve Robinson for many years have been the key recruiters for Carolina. I think Sean May can become a great recruiter but I’m less confident in the others.
Unless Hubert has some fires burning that we don't know about, it appears he's comfortable going smallish.

I say "smallish" rather than "small" because the guys he'll be rotating into the front line aren't that small. Both Justin McKoy and Leaky are listed at 6'8 - which isn't small. But they are smallish. Justin weighs in at 215, Styles is 6'7 and 205, and Leaky doesn't even break 200lbs. Not to mention that all 3 are listed as small forwards.

As pointed out elsewhere, there will be long stretches when we'll only have one of Bacot or Manek on the floor. And Manek isn't a guy you want to play back-to-the-basket. So our style of play may change even more than some are expecting.

Reactions: Archer2
He would be crazy if he didn’t try to add one more post player! We have 2 and one of them is a stretch 4...we have 2 open scholarship! I can see saving one but not 2 when you have a huge need in the post. Hopefully we can land a decent transfer that can at least rebound, block shots, and be a big body! The transfer portal is becoming thin..I know kids can enter until July but I feel for the most part if a kid was gonna enter they would have done so already! I’m sure there will be a couple that do from now until then but not many...not sure if we could get a reclassification or not! I know we never did with Roy, maybe Hubert would! Regardless, we need one more big on this roster!

Whew! Since he has already tried multiple times to get a Big we know he isn't crazy! There is plenty of time between now and September to add someone. A Big just decommitted from Va Tech who is 7 feet+. Every day we will hear of peeps and eventually UNC will add one!

He’s yet to offer a true center or even talk to a center in the portal! And I don’t think he ever offered Reid..if you look at the portal it is super thin on true bigs..and no, they’re aren’t quality peeps, especially bigs, just entering the portal everyday! He’s been extremely active in 2022 recruiting and beyond! Hopefully he land someone...I watched highlights of the guy that just decommited from VT! Maybe we go after him, he’d be a solid backup to Bacot!

Reactions: bobcrane14
According to the chart in the initial post, 38 players are transferring out and only 24 players transferring in. The talent drain in the ACC is significant

He talked to and vetted several centers. (high school and portal) None made it through the process. Some less traditional, but still centers. Be careful casting aspersions with limited info. Peeps screamed that Roy needed to get away from traditional Bigs (I disagree but whatever) and now peeps scream that Hubs isn't going after enough of them. Makes the head spin, no?

If we stand pat, we have plenty of options and will be fine. A little guard improvement and finding a few shooters and we will be back at the top of the ACC with what we have!

Is it possible to give the man a freaking minute before he makes all dreams come true???

He talked to and vetted several centers. (high school and portal) None made it through the process. Some less traditional, but still centers. Be careful casting aspersions with limited info. Peeps screamed that Roy needed to get away from traditional Bigs (I disagree but whatever) and now peeps scream that Hubs isn't going after enough of them. Makes the head spin, no?

If we stand pat, we have plenty of options and will be fine. A little guard improvement and finding a few shooters and we will be back at the top of the ACC with what we have!

Is it possible to give the man a freaking minute before he makes all dreams come true???
What other centers has he talked to besides Reid? I’m asking bc I guess I’m “limited on info”..don’t try to say the dude for Creighton that was forced to play center last year! He’s not a 5 and wasn’t being recruited as one! Also ppl were screaming that we need to get away from playing 2 centers at the same time...not that we shouldn’t recruit one when we only have Bacot, who is the only legit 5 on the roster! I agree with you that I like the team we have so far, but with absolutely zero post depth I don’t see us being able to play for an ACC championship.

More like a lot of guard improvement. But I think there's a good chance we'll get exactly that.

Reactions: Archer2
We all have limited info, I am included in this but Aidoo & Reid are examples. I also think we have enough right now. Our rotation may include some smallish ball with Manek, McKoy, and Styles/Leaky as a frontline, but we have enough combos to handle the season and be very hard to guard! If Manek can't handle the 5, let McKoy handle him. With guard pressure and defensive principles, he has the body to handle it!

We all have limited info, I am included in this but Aidoo & Reid are examples. I also think we have enough right now. Our rotation may include some smallish ball with Manek, McKoy, and Styles/Leaky as a frontline, but we have enough combos to handle the season and be very hard to guard! If Manek can't handle the 5, let McKoy handle him. With guard pressure and defensive principles, he has the body to handle it!
I really do like McKoy at the 4, I think he will be great for us! I also think Styles and Leaky can help some there too, especially styles! I just think we need more depth at the 5 especially with 2 available scholarships! I think our backcourt play, both offensively and defensively, will improve tremendously! That will help all around...I can’t wait to see Love next year, I think he’s gonna be really good

I really do like McKoy at the 4, I think he will be great for us! I also think Styles and Leaky can help some there too, especially styles! I just think we need more depth at the 5 especially with 2 available scholarships! I think our backcourt play, both offensively and defensively, will improve tremendously! That will help all around...I can’t wait to see Love next year, I think he’s gonna be really good
Perhaps we're just seeing the new philosophy in action.

Presumably Armando leaves after this coming year. We have only one offer out to a center in the 2022 class, and he doesn't seem interested.

Maybe 2021-22 will be our last season with a true center.

That's not to say that Hubert won't extend more offers to centers. And some of the PFs we have offered look like they could play in the post.

But maybe Hubert simply doesn't worry about having a center because he has a different offensive scheme in mind.

I wish I knew, but I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:
Perhaps we're just seeing the new philosophy in action.

Presumably Armando leaves after this coming year. We have only one offer out to a center in the 2022 class, and he doesn't seem interested.

Maybe 2021-22 will be our last season with a true center.

That's not to say that Hubert won't extend more offers to centers. And some of the PFs we have offered look like they could play in the post.

But maybe Hubert simply doesn't worry about having a center because he has a different offensive scheme in mind.

I wish I knew, but I guess we'll find out.
Well, he’s piloting the ship right now. Let’s see where he leads us.

First, the chart at the top of this thread does not really tell the whole story when it comes to transfers in or out. There is no way Mancek for example is not considered one of the best additions for any team this off season yet I see he is listed by what his ranking was coming to college. Rankings prior to playing your first game of college ball mean nothing at all for me once you play in the college game.

Where would you rank Mancek and McKoy right now as factored in and compared to incoming freshmen across the country, I would suggest at least top 20. There is no way to affix a accurate numerical ranking for what I am saying but there really is no way to accurately rank a incoming freshman as compared to upper classmen as to how effective they will be as over all players as freshmen or how they may play as the gain experience in following seasons. Way to much stock is in my opinion, placed on rankings and not as much placed on how they play or how they fit a teams over all need.

Mancek, McKoy, Styles, and Dunn is our incoming class (so far), it for me is about how they fit in to what this team needs based on last season and the guys we lost. I will tell you right now, I am very concerned with the state of our front court right now, I have faith in Hubert because very indication I have gleaned indicates Hubert has a great vision for how to lead this program. But I am a big man guy, I love those 7ft security blankets. As is, we are going to see a LOT if not most of the PT at the 4 spot manned by 6'7-8" guys (McKoy and Styles). Both those kids can play but I think at least one of them will have to really play over the expectations.

I think we are going to need wing 3 scoring much more than we got last season (the lack of representing to me one of the 2 main reasons the paint was so clogged up last season). That allows me to circle back to my concern with our front court. I expect more outside shooting but what about rebounding, in the past having the inside size/length advantage many teams abandoned the offensive glass and just sprinted back on the defensive end, will that still be the case? Can we up our shooting % enough to offset the loss of offensive rebounding?

I think we are going to need wing 3 scoring much more than we got last season (the lack of representing to me one of the 2 main reasons the paint was so clogged up last season). That allows me to circle back to my concern with our front court. I expect more outside shooting but what about rebounding, in the past having the inside size/length advantage many teams abandoned the offensive glass and just sprinted back on the defensive end, will that still be the case?

Can we up our shooting % enough to offset the loss of offensive rebounding?
That is a big concern of mine.

First, the chart at the top of this thread does not really tell the whole story when it comes to transfers in or out. There is no way Mancek for example is not considered one of the best additions for any team this off season yet I see he is listed by what his ranking was coming to college.
Obviously. I assume most of us here are able to make that calculation. Or can look up individual players' records to see how good they are now. Rankings are just a reference point.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Where would you rank Mancek and McKoy right now as factored in and compared to incoming freshmen across the country, I would suggest at least top 20.
Manek certainly looks top 50 ish - maybe top 30 ish. I see no reason to move McKoy into the top 100, but I'm hoping he will seem better when he gets here.

I think McKoy was definitely trending in the right direction and I expect him to show this progress when he gets here. I expect a pleasant surprise from him and hopefully Manek will have worked on his on ball D as well!

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
In 11 minutes a game McKoy averaged 4 ppg and 4 boards! I think with extended playing time he can be very productive..he’s also no longer in a slow pace type offense! At UVA he had some studs playing his position (Hauser, Murphy)

I think McKoy was definitely trending in the right direction and I expect him to show this progress when he gets here. I expect a pleasant surprise from him and hopefully Manek will have worked on his on ball D as well!
I was disappointed when he picked UVa over us, so I'm happy to have him here. And, as I said at the time, I'm pleased to let Bennett teach him on UVa's dime for a couple of years.

On the other hand, the tiny bit I saw of him over the last 2 seasons didn't impress. He had 1 decent game against us - 4 pts and 5 rebs in 17 min - and didn't even play in the other 2 matchups.

I also like getting kids from good coaches. I don't know if it's true, but I imagine our staff picking Justin's brain for coaching gems. Not so much game planning - because you can see that from the games themselves - but training tidbits and such.

Quality young man, was well coached at UVA, has good size and decent skills. Barring us getting another big man before the next season, and I really hope we do, he’s going to play quite a bit out of necessity alone. I’m glad we’ll have him.

ADVERTISEMENT