ADVERTISEMENT

According to Chansky, Fed ain't going anywhere

I’m usually a Chansky fan but that was a useless article. I am so tired of people using support for basketball as the reason for the football program being mediocre at best. Yes, I love our basketball program BUT like virtually every Carolina fan I know, I am a diehard football fan too. And all other sports. It is not a one or the other sport—it is all sports.

I’m usually a Chansky fan but that was a useless article. I am so tired of people using support for basketball as the reason for the football program being mediocre at best. Yes, I love our basketball program BUT like virtually every Carolina fan I know, I am a diehard football fan too. And all other sports. It is not a one or the other sport—it is all sports.

My history as a fan of UNC basketball makes me even less tolerant of mediocrity from the football program. But that article is totally baseless. Bubba has made it perfectly clear that he has no interest in an athletic program that is "basketball only." The notion that he will tolerate a 2-10 football program (that's where we're headed) seems absurd to me.

Charlie Strong could be the UNC football coach in 2019 IMO. If not Strong then someone like Satterfield could get their shot.

Reactions: tarheel0910
My history as a fan of UNC basketball makes me even less tolerant of mediocrity from the football program. But that article is totally baseless. Bubba has made it perfectly clear that he has no interest in an athletic program that is "basketball only." The notion that he will tolerate a 2-10 football program (that's where we're headed) seems absurd to me.

Charlie Strong could be the UNC football coach in 2019 IMO. If not Strong then someone like Satterfield could get their shot.
Strong that Texas kicked-out? No, thanks!

Strong that Texas kicked-out? No, thanks!
He had 2 Fedora-like seasons at Louisville with 7 Wins. He then had 2 excellent seasons at Louisville. Then he left for Big Money a Texas. He coached 3 three years there and is the only TX coach in history to have 3 consecutive losing seasons. All that Texas has and you have back to back to back losing teams?

As the BE was terribly depleted when Strong arrived, and his best Louisville team was in the AAC, I say that Strong against Major conference foes may be no better than Fedora. He did have a huge bowl win (over a dead offense and over ranked Florida team), but other than that, he's shown no more than Fedora. Strong is little more than a former DC version of Fedora.

He had 2 Fedora-like seasons at Louisville with 7 Wins. He then had 2 excellent seasons at Louisville. Then he left for Big Money a Texas. He coached 3 three years there and is the only TX coach in history to have 3 consecutive losing seasons. All that Texas has and you have back to back to back losing teams?

As the BE was terribly depleted when Strong arrived, and his best Louisville team was in the AAC, I say that Strong against Major conference foes may be no better than Fedora. He did have a huge bowl win (over a dead offense and over ranked Florida team), but other than that, he's shown no more than Fedora. Strong is little more than a former DC version of Fedora.
Yeah... I'll pass.

Reactions: Archer2
This may not be the popular opinion but I think we have to deal with the situation as it is and my view is it is the wrong time to can Fedora and the reason comes down to money. $14 million buy out if we can him now then you want a solid coach that is going to take a whopping sum. And what would be the result, do we have top 3 in the ACC talent, in some positions yeah but not enough. Point being who ever the new coach would be will have a talent problem, wait a year or 2 for the buy out number to get way down or go completely away and then make the move.

I want us to be a winning football program as bad as any here but that buy out is a lot to pay to just be in the same if not an even worse situation. I am not one that believes you can have only 1 winning program between basketball and football, it isn't a pick one or the other situation. I agree the Fed buy out looks crazy now, not sure it looked so crazy when that contract was done, was not so long ago that Fed was considered a HOT coach that could walk in to a major football power program and the buy out clause dealt with the situation as it was then, clearly the situation has changed.

I get it, many do not like Chansky at all and maybe deep down inside he would be perfectly happy if football was killed at UNC and all we played was basketball thou I strongly doubt that to be the case. I suspect and it is my belief that he wants football to be successful but he realizes the corruption involved in SEC football and does not want to see UNC join the "if ya ain't cheatin, ya ain't winnin" crowd, I don't want us to go down that path either in any sport.

Frankly, we did for a little while under Butch Davis, I know, many will not like my saying that but look at the glaring facts that can not be disputed. Right off the bat, he brought Blake in as his lead recruiter, the guy was known as Black Santa folks, kinda tells you all you need to know right there. Now Butch may not have known what Blake was doing to get the likes of Austin to commit to UNC but Butch knew well Blake's history and the circumstances at Ok, It would be like Roy electing to bring either Jeff Capel or William Wesley in as an assistant coach, I would hope Tar Heels would in mass rebel at such a notion but most didn't when Blake was brought in, Chansky was very vocal about that and upset a LOT of football fans.

IN addition, it was the NCAA's investigation of football players while Butch was our head coach where the AFAM stuff was discovered and that led to the NCAA hovering over ALL of our programs for what 6yrs or so? What was it, 3 of his star talents were suspended for the rest of their college careers? I frankly looking back, can see no positive that came out of the Butch Davis tenure but I do see multiple bad things that shine in neon!

My point is we do not have to cheat to have winning programs in any of our sports and if the ONLY way we could win is to cheat then I say drop all NCAA sports and call it a day. But we have seen for many years that we actually do not have to cheat to have a winning program and our basketball program is proof of just that. Fed may be a sketchy coach but I do think he runs a clean program, I* wanted him to be very successful with us and he was up to the last couple years and right now it is hard to see him returning to the success he had with us earlier on so yeah, this does look like it is and should be his last contract with us but let's not waste $14 million either...

the buyout is a valid concern but there's a couple of other things that must be considered as well. one, maybe we already have the money for a buyout and money for a new coaching staff - several have already stated this and we don't really know. two, the buyout dollars must be compared to the lost revenue dollars. if we keep fed to save the buyout dollars and we continue to tank (a couple more 2-4 win seasons) how much revenue will be lost in the form of - decreased ram's club donations, decreased season and single game ticket sales, lost concessions and fan gear, ... of course if you believe he can turn it around some of this goes away but that's a big if. keep in mind that recruiting is down. this season will not improve recruiting and will likely make it worse. two or three bad recruiting years and there's no good coach coming to the rescue. if fed can't win with the talent we have now do you really believe he'll win with less talent. it would be irresponsible to not move forward with a new coach

Reactions: Deezheelz
This may not be the popular opinion but I think we have to deal with the situation as it is and my view is it is the wrong time to can Fedora and the reason comes down to money. $14 million buy out if we can him now then you want a solid coach that is going to take a whopping sum. And what would be the result, do we have top 3 in the ACC talent, in some positions yeah but not enough. Point being who ever the new coach would be will have a talent problem, wait a year or 2 for the buy out number to get way down or go completely away and then make the move.

I want us to be a winning football program as bad as any here but that buy out is a lot to pay to just be in the same if not an even worse situation. I am not one that believes you can have only 1 winning program between basketball and football, it isn't a pick one or the other situation. I agree the Fed buy out looks crazy now, not sure it looked so crazy when that contract was done, was not so long ago that Fed was considered a HOT coach that could walk in to a major football power program and the buy out clause dealt with the situation as it was then, clearly the situation has changed.

I get it, many do not like Chansky at all and maybe deep down inside he would be perfectly happy if football was killed at UNC and all we played was basketball thou I strongly doubt that to be the case. I suspect and it is my belief that he wants football to be successful but he realizes the corruption involved in SEC football and does not want to see UNC join the "if ya ain't cheatin, ya ain't winnin" crowd, I don't want us to go down that path either in any sport.

Frankly, we did for a little while under Butch Davis, I know, many will not like my saying that but look at the glaring facts that can not be disputed. Right off the bat, he brought Blake in as his lead recruiter, the guy was known as Black Santa folks, kinda tells you all you need to know right there. Now Butch may not have known what Blake was doing to get the likes of Austin to commit to UNC but Butch knew well Blake's history and the circumstances at Ok, It would be like Roy electing to bring either Jeff Capel or William Wesley in as an assistant coach, I would hope Tar Heels would in mass rebel at such a notion but most didn't when Blake was brought in, Chansky was very vocal about that and upset a LOT of football fans.

IN addition, it was the NCAA's investigation of football players while Butch was our head coach where the AFAM stuff was discovered and that led to the NCAA hovering over ALL of our programs for what 6yrs or so? What was it, 3 of his star talents were suspended for the rest of their college careers? I frankly looking back, can see no positive that came out of the Butch Davis tenure but I do see multiple bad things that shine in neon!

My point is we do not have to cheat to have winning programs in any of our sports and if the ONLY way we could win is to cheat then I say drop all NCAA sports and call it a day. But we have seen for many years that we actually do not have to cheat to have a winning program and our basketball program is proof of just that. Fed may be a sketchy coach but I do think he runs a clean program, I* wanted him to be very successful with us and he was up to the last couple years and right now it is hard to see him returning to the success he had with us earlier on so yeah, this does look like it is and should be his last contract with us but let's not waste $14 million either...
The money is there to buy him out. It's not a problem. The only problem we have at this point is finding a good replacement.

Reactions: uncboy10
The money is there to buy him out. It's not a problem. The only problem we have at this point is finding a good replacement.

But this is the best time to find one. There probably won’t be many blue blood programs looking for coaches this off season.

I don't trust their instincts, or their ability with the checkbook.

They had no way of knowing Fed would tank like this. At the time, it looked like a good move to give him the buyout since multiple big time programs looked interested in poaching him.

They had no way of knowing Fed would tank like this. At the time, it looked like a good move to give him the buyout since multiple big time programs looked interested in poaching him.
They gave him WAY too much money for one successful season.

Not really. He’s the 50th highest paid coach in the country. UNC reeled of 11 wins in a row in 2015. They were a bad call away from taking Clemson to OT in the ACCCG. Everything is more clear in hindsight.

every once in a while the stars and moon align and i agree with ticket and that's the case here. with the results we're getting now it seems we are overpaying fed but we aren't. having the 50th highest paid coach isn't usually going to yield the results we want. with sports it's the nature of the beast. if someone has a good season or shows potential, you pay what you have to in order to lock them up. don't think anyone expected this type of drop off but quite often results drop off after getting a new/revised contract

It’s really not that much money (relatively) for college football coaches. We need to be prepared to pay 5+ million per year to a head coach if we really want to get to the next level.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
It’s really not that much money (relatively) for college football coaches. We need to be prepared to pay 5+ million per year to a head coach if we really want to get to the next level.
Yeah. I don’t think the casual fan understands the amount of money in college football. Without looking, I’d bet the top ten highest paid college coaches make more than the top 10 nfl coaches.

the buyout is a valid concern but there's a couple of other things that must be considered as well. one, maybe we already have the money for a buyout and money for a new coaching staff - several have already stated this and we don't really know. two, the buyout dollars must be compared to the lost revenue dollars. if we keep fed to save the buyout dollars and we continue to tank (a couple more 2-4 win seasons) how much revenue will be lost in the form of - decreased ram's club donations, decreased season and single game ticket sales, lost concessions and fan gear, ... of course if you believe he can turn it around some of this goes away but that's a big if. keep in mind that recruiting is down. this season will not improve recruiting and will likely make it worse. two or three bad recruiting years and there's no good coach coming to the rescue. if fed can't win with the talent we have now do you really believe he'll win with less talent. it would be irresponsible to not move forward with a new coach
You and I agree a lot on the Fedora topic.

Reactions: riverswe
But this is the best time to find one. There probably won’t be many blue blood programs looking for coaches this off season.
Exactly. If this year Mich St, Auburn, SC, and Ok St were going to hire, then we could face a big uphill, especially if Louisville were to fire Petrino and hire Brohm, which would mean Purdue must hire.

But this is shaping up to be a fairly quiet firing season. We could capitalize on that.

Lovie Smith makes 5 mil at Illinois, and he is worth maybe 1 mil.

Not really. Where we are at as a program will cause successful coaches to hesitate. The pool for up and coming coaches isn't good. We would most likely have to take a huge risk on someone like Satterfield. Trusting him to turn it around would be like trying to kill a bear with a rock. It's technically possible, but you're most likely going to die trying.

The issue has become the length, not the amount.

Not really. Where we are at as a program will cause successful coaches to hesitate. The pool for up and coming coaches isn't good. We would most likely have to take a huge risk on someone like Satterfield. Trusting him to turn it around would be like trying to kill a bear with a rock. It's technically possible, but you're most likely going to die trying.

We probably weren’t going to be looking for a new coach unless the program got to this kind of position though. So it may cause successful coaches to hesitate but that was probably inevitable, unless we were doing really well and Fed got poached.

I honestly don’t watch enough non P5 football to evaluate the up and coming coaches. So I can’t really comment on how deep the coaching pool is.

I honestly don’t watch enough non P5 football to evaluate the up and coming coaches. So I can’t really comment on how deep the coaching pool is.
Satterfield has never been a coach for a P5 team. I'm not just talking about head coaching either. He's never been one even as a grad assistant. When someone like that is being thrown around as a top option, then that tells you all you need to know about the talent pool.

It just seems like obscene money, to me.

And, given the results he's shown the last two years, he's not worth 50 grand. They paid him in the future for that lightning-in-a-bottle regular season. Live and learn, I guess. At the time, it seemed feasible. He just mails-it-in now.

Hell, let’s just suck it up and let Fed coach his contract out, that’s only four more seasons, right? We can do that with our eyes closed. Maybe by then somebody good will be available.

Hell, let’s just suck it up and let Fed coach his contract out, that’s only four more seasons, right? We can do that with our eyes closed. Maybe by then somebody good will be available.
Fedora doesn't seem to be very motivated or inspired. Of course, I could just be speculating. If I knew that he really wanted the team to succeed and was doing his very best, I might have a bit more tolerance.

Fedora doesn't seem to be very motivated or inspired. Of course, I could just be speculating. If I knew that he really wanted the team to succeed and was doing his very best, I might have a bit more tolerance.

What are you basing that assessment on? Just curious

Art Chansky has a new message for UNC football fans: he and the other basketball-onlys will agree not to throw a fit if Fedora is fired as long as we hire a coach who knows place behind football, like former KU HC David Beaty. Chansky says Folt is on the same page.

I don’t think it’s lack of motivation, he’s just way in over his head. He’s too much enamored of himself to throw in the towel. He just doesn’t know what to do at this point. And the injuries haven’t helped.

images

I don’t think it’s lack of motivation, he’s just way in over his head. He’s too much enamored of himself to throw in the towel. He just doesn’t know what to do at this point. And the injuries haven’t helped.
It's a head-scratcher as to how he can go undefeated in the conference to just absolute crap.

We had a very favorable schedule, weren’t so snakebit by injuries, had a decent amount of talent, and a QB that was tailor made for Fed’s system. It was the perfect storm.

Now I feel like I’m rereading A Tale of Two Cities.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…”

We had a very favorable schedule, weren’t so snakebit by injuries, had a decent amount of talent, and a QB that was tailor made for Fed’s system. It was the perfect storm.

which is even more puzzling regarding recruiting...i’m not saying you find the next mw in every class, but you don’t find the opposite of and sign or accept a transfer that hadn’t shown anything in a previous stop.

which is even more puzzling regarding recruiting...i’m not saying you find the next mw in every class, but you don’t find the opposite of and sign or accept a transfer that hadn’t shown anything in a previous stop.
I have to agree. Fed’s tenure has gotten curiouser and curiouser.

Reactions: gteeitup
i believe he thought CS was going to be that QB and Mitch would have stayed another season. Clearly wrong on both counts. also think he has a LOT of confidence that he can coach up anyone with the basic skills needed. Clearly wrong again.

I don’t think Fed is the man for the job, but nobody can deny he has been tragically unfortunate since 2015.

There has been a ridiculous number of crippling injuries at all of the worst times. We’ve had several bad breaks and bad calls that have cost us games too. Even this year, our record could be much better if a few plays go differently.

I don’t think Fed is the man for the job, but nobody can deny he has been tragically unfortunate since 2015.

There has been a ridiculous number of crippling injuries at all of the worst times. We’ve had several bad breaks and bad calls that have cost us games too. Even this year, our record could be much better if a few plays go differently.

Deems said that there was too much "coincidence" in the injuries to blame it on coincidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT