ADVERTISEMENT

Additional "charity exhibitions"... (coming to Chapel Hill!)

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...are being set up around the country for disaster relief and such. GaTech and GaState are doing one Saturday down here and now I just saw UNC is gonna host a sort of state-of-North-Carolina Jamboree on Nov. 5.
UNC/ECU/UNCG/UNCW

Seems the NCAA must've granted exceptions to the normal rules to allow these extra intercollegiate deals (good for them).

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/ac...cle_2c049a0a-b82f-11e7-88f0-4f3996666a4a.html

When I saw that Kansas and Missouri did it and raised so much money, I told my wife to expect it more and couldn’t believe it hasn’t been done in the past. Looks like some of you have alluded to it not being allowed by NCAA in the past.

When I saw that Kansas and Missouri did it and raised so much money, I told my wife to expect it more and couldn’t believe it hasn’t been done in the past. Looks like some of you have alluded to it not being allowed by NCAA in the past.
Well, basically the NCAA rule limits you to 2 inter-squad pre-season activities --- like you can have 2 Exhibitions or 2 Closed Scrimmages, or 1 of each (which Roy prefers).
I think it's a great idea to make this exception for these fundraisers.

Well, basically the NCAA rule limits you to 2 inter-squad pre-season activities --- like you can have 2 Exhibitions or 2 Closed Scrimmages, or 1 of each (which Roy prefers).
I think it's a great idea to make this exception for these fundraisers.
Yup. Fans get to watch more, players enjoy more game/practice, worthy causes are supported.....

.... everyone's a winner baby.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thanks for the responses. I thought it was strange that these games starting popping up all at once.

Great "family" reunion for UNC basketball as well.
I like that aspect of it.

Maybe next year they can add some more state schools into the mix and make it more like a tournament. UNC-Charlotte. NC State. Asheville. NC Central. Anyone else in the UNC-system with a basketball program? If you have 2 tiers, you could keep UNC and NCSU from meeting, if that is thought to be appropriate.

NCSU will also want to avoid NCCU so they might need a third tier, lol!

I love this as a rotating charity event and schools would be able to participate every so often like pre-season tourneys and overseas trips. This would spread out the wealth covering more regions/charities and spread out the cost to individual schools. It also might incline the NCAA to agree to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT