ADVERTISEMENT

After Short Break, Brown Will Meet With Defensive Staff

Kind of frustrating to me. He doesn't want to get rid of Cross because he's worried about players feelings, but he's saying the secondary is having a hard time because the DL isn't getting push. Replacing Cross could help two groups get better. At this point he needs to stop worrying how the players feel and worry about making them better players. You can't make decisions because a player might leave. Unless they have told him they would leave, you have to risk it.

And I know I keep saying this, but the S&C staff needs to be looked at. Either the staff needs to be changed or the technique/philosophy does.

live look at tough meeting Mack has with D staff:

giphy.gif

kids are already leaving…if they don’t want to improve with a better or different coach, then the answer is the kid.

if mack has a soft spot for coaches and their groups aren’t getting better, then the battle is lost…i totally understand hiring your friends, but i don’t understand not firing them when it’s not working…they are coaches, they see it.

kids are already leaving…if they don’t want to improve with a better or different coach, then the answer is the kid.

if mack has a soft spot for coaches and their groups aren’t getting better, then the battle is lost…i totally understand hiring your friends, but i don’t understand not firing them when it’s not working…they are coaches, they see it.
As I have said since before Mack was hired, then in warning to those who wanted him, Mack was fired from Texas primarily because he refused to make the needed multiple staff changes that were necessary to improve the team. And in every case, the reason that Mack refused to replace a poor assistant was that Mack saw him as close friend or a protege.

And that is what we have seen with UNC.

Kind of frustrating to me. He doesn't want to get rid of Cross because he's worried about players feelings, but he's saying the secondary is having a hard time because the DL isn't getting push. Replacing Cross could help two groups get better. At this point he needs to stop worrying how the players feel and worry about making them better players. You can't make decisions because a player might leave. Unless they have told him they would leave, you have to risk it.

And I know I keep saying this, but the S&C staff needs to be looked at. Either the staff needs to be changed or the technique/philosophy does.
Lousy staff makes any technique/philosophy look bad. A bunch of poor position coaches make any DC look bad.

Cross is poor. Bly is poor. Thigpen does not seem capable of producing a sound 2 deep of LBs, but at least he is not ruining 5* and high 4* recruits like Cross and Bly.

Mack is Mack, and that means an arrogantly nasty sense of determination to do what he wants while trying to charm you aganist your better judgment to support him doing it no matter how bad the results. And Mack loves those who adore him far more than he loves winning. So he remains loyal to handpicked friends as staff members even when they suck so bad that chicks who only watch chick sports can see it.

Lousy staff makes any technique/philosophy look bad. A bunch of poor position coaches make any DC look bad.

Cross is poor. Bly is poor. Thigpen does not seem capable of producing a sound 2 deep of LBs, but at least he is not ruining 5* and high 4* recruits like Cross and Bly.

Mack is Mack, and that means an arrogantly nasty sense of determination to do what he wants while trying to charm you aganist your better judgment to support him doing it no matter how bad the results. And Mack loves those who adore him far more than he loves winning. So he remains loyal to handpicked friends as staff members even when they suck so bad that chicks who only watch chick sports can see it.

Bly is poor at what, exactly? Bly is the assistant to Warren who is the assistant to Chizik. Bly is a former All-American, Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champ who feasted on WR's. Do you think Bly is teaching the DB's to shy away from tackling and not to turn around? Something that he never did that led to him being, again, an All-American, Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champ. It isn't his call to play 10 yards off on 3rd and short. Talk to players and recruits, I beg of you. Your take on Thigpen is also wrong. Like your take on the Miami OC that you said was a big-time hire that couldn't even lead Miami to a bowl game.

Bly is poor at what, exactly? Bly is the assistant to Warren who is the assistant to Chizik. Bly is a former All-American, Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champ who feasted on WR's. Do you think Bly is teaching the DB's to shy away from tackling and not to turn around? Something that he never did that led to him being, again, an All-American, Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champ. It isn't his call to play 10 yards off on 3rd and short. Talk to players and recruits, I beg of you. Your take on Thigpen is also wrong. Like your take on the Miami OC that you said was a big-time hire that couldn't even lead Miami to a bowl game.
Have you ever wondered why no Dick Butkus or Lawrence Taylor ever became a great DC? Why has no Babe Ruth or Willie Mays ever become that next HOF MLB Manager? Why wasn't Michael Jordan the next great NBA HC? Why did it seem that Bill Russell as Celtics HC often looked like he had no idea how a team should play defense?

There is no, none, nada, connection between playing and coaching. Zip. So how Bly played (and I am old enough to remember him as freshman very well) means nothing about what he can do as coach. If anything, long history in every sport says that any correlation between being a great player and being a coach is negative, i.e. that the best players are either low mediocre or lousy coaches, in every sport.

Pele just died. He was never a great coach, or even a decent coach. Nobody with money on the line in soccer (owners) would have risked it. Neither was Maradona. Both were much better at their sports than Bly was at his.

The problems with UNC DBs with Bly as coach did not begin in 2022. They began when Bly arrived. Blaming them on Warren, who has a very long history of being a very good DB coach, and Chizik is simply a stupid way to try to exonerate a guy who is nor close to being qualified for the job he holds thanks to being a Mack Brown pet.

And, just like the Bunting fools and the Fedora idiots, you always come back to something that you grossly exaggerate and that is off topic to get people away from thinking seriously about your beloved bad UNC coach. I never predicted that Maimi would have the best offense in the ACC in year 1 of Cristobal or ever. I simply noted what ought to be obvious to anyone: in hiring as OC a guy with ACC experience and with winning P5 OC experience, Cristobal made a good hire. And none of us know what the Miami offense might have looked dlikt this year if all 3 QBs had not been injured at some point, missing games and playing injured.

Bly is not qualified for the job he has. And he has shown in 4 years that he is not going to become qualified by being granted the title. I he wishes to be a P5 DB coach, he needs to start by being the DB coach at D1 or D2 schools, learn how to teach the position where the lights are not always on your players. After moving top a couple times based on ability that has been proven, he can earn it.

Cross is soft as a DL coach and is never going to cut it at this level. Unless his boss is happy with a poor DL and the losses that means.

Mack is most likely to keep both because for Mack promoting his friends has long been more important than winning big.

Have you ever wondered why no Dick Butkus or Lawrence Taylor ever became a great DC? Why has no Babe Ruth or Willie Mays ever become that next HOF MLB Manager? Why wasn't Michael Jordan the next great NBA HC? Why did it seem that Bill Russell as Celtics HC often looked like he had no idea how a team should play defense?

There is no, none, nada, connection between playing and coaching. Zip. So how Bly played (and I am old enough to remember him as freshman very well) means nothing about what he can do as coach. If anything, long history in every sport says that any correlation between being a great player and being a coach is negative, i.e. that the best players are either low mediocre or lousy coaches, in every sport.

Pele just died. He was never a great coach, or even a decent coach. Nobody with money on the line in soccer (owners) would have risked it. Neither was Maradona. Both were much better at their sports than Bly was at his.

The problems with UNC DBs with Bly as coach did not begin in 2022. They began when Bly arrived. Blaming them on Warren, who has a very long history of being a very good DB coach, and Chizik is simply a stupid way to try to exonerate a guy who is nor close to being qualified for the job he holds thanks to being a Mack Brown pet.

And, just like the Bunting fools and the Fedora idiots, you always come back to something that you grossly exaggerate and that is off topic to get people away from thinking seriously about your beloved bad UNC coach. I never predicted that Maimi would have the best offense in the ACC in year 1 of Cristobal or ever. I simply noted what ought to be obvious to anyone: in hiring as OC a guy with ACC experience and with winning P5 OC experience, Cristobal made a good hire. And none of us know what the Miami offense might have looked dlikt this year if all 3 QBs had not been injured at some point, missing games and playing injured.

Bly is not qualified for the job he has. And he has shown in 4 years that he is not going to become qualified by being granted the title. I he wishes to be a P5 DB coach, he needs to start by being the DB coach at D1 or D2 schools, learn how to teach the position where the lights are not always on your players. After moving top a couple times based on ability that has been proven, he can earn it.

Cross is soft as a DL coach and is never going to cut it at this level. Unless his boss is happy with a poor DL and the losses that means.

Mack is most likely to keep both because for Mack promoting his friends has long been more important than winning big.
Here you go bringing up former coaches again, same ole, same ole. Hopefully getting some new material for 2023 is your New Years resolution.

You said it was a "BIG-TIME" hire. Your words. He took a talented QB and got them 5 wins. That is BIG TIME? Yikes.

You're taking my comparison of him as a player and an assistant to the assistant way out of context. Of all the coaches that you named, do you think they would teach their children how to play the opposite of how they played? "Look son, see that 95-yard pick 6 I just took back to the house there? Instead of playing the ball, I want you to play 10 yards off on that 3rd and short and make sure you face guard him to draw a PI call".

You've proven you're not qualified to be on a free message board, but here you are. Maybe you should try out facebook and be one of those "fans" that comment on every post and then we'll see if you're ready for the big leagues.

As I have said since before Mack was hired, then in warning to those who wanted him, Mack was fired from Texas primarily because he refused to make the needed multiple staff changes that were necessary to improve the team. And in every case, the reason that Mack refused to replace a poor assistant was that Mack saw him as close friend or a protege.

And that is what we have seen with UNC.
so it wasn’t just vince young leaving lol.

For what it’s worth, Thig is a good coach. The issue is that we don’t have talent on the Lines (both D and O) to match the level of talent we have at some of the skill positions. We still lack top 10-15 quality depth in the 2 deep from a talent perspective but our inability to protect our QB and pressure the opposing QB is our biggest weakness. It’s really not that hard to see. I can’t remember which perennial top 5 coach said it but it was something like the Line between good and great is literally the line.

For what it’s worth, Thig is a good coach. The issue is that we don’t have talent on the Lines (both D and O) to match the level of talent we have at some of the skill positions. We still lack top 10-15 quality depth in the 2 deep from a talent perspective but our inability to protect our QB and pressure the opposing QB is our biggest weakness. It’s really not that hard to see. I can’t remember which perennial top 5 coach said it but it was something like the Line between good and great is literally the line.
Unless you are telling me every single DL on the team was a bust, then we have the talent. The problem is the staff. For whatever reason these players and the current staff just can't figure it out. You can't get rid of every player, so you need to see if different coaches can get it done.

Reactions: Archer2
lol this can be argued…this talent is based on hs production and star rating, but their motivation, scheme or not, is sh*t.

and it’s not lost or a waste yet…if gene wants to continue to keep dudes seven yards off the los, then the pass rush and safeties need to be elite.

again, i’m fine with the tampa 2, but get the dudes; a qb hunter, an elite 3-tech, a chazz surratt, physical corners, and an elite free safety.

Reactions: riverswe
Unless you are telling me every single DL on the team was a bust, then we have the talent. The problem is the staff. For whatever reason these players and the current staff just can't figure it out. You can't get rid of every player, so you need to see if different coaches can get it done.

not saying we don’t have talent in spots but top to bottom we don’t have ENOUGH talent on both lines to be as good as i think we can be.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
OL and DL are like chains, even one weak link makes them breakable.

correct hence why we don’t have enough talent. there’s top end talent scattered throughout but clearly that’s not enough as shown by our production from both of those units in recent memory.

We still lack top 10-15 quality depth in the 2 deep from a talent perspective but our inability to protect our QB and pressure the opposing QB is our biggest weakness.
In terms of D
Illinois, Iowa St, Louisville, K State and NCSU are all top-15

We've recruited better than them in terms of talent based on rankings. (though ncsu has done better in terms of DL transfers). Either we're doing less with more, of the rankings ignore ball IQ and heart, and focus too much on potential size/speed.

In addition to the talk of Mack's country-club atmosphere, I'm starting to think we're offering too many "athletes" and ex-basketball players instead of true hard-nosed, gym rat, junkyard dogs. Look at a guy like Rucker who is undersized, not insanely athletic, but plays harder than anyone else on the team and therefore produces.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Ignoring quality, there are a ton of bodies at end:

JACK
1. Amari Gainer 225 lbs
2. Malaki Hamrick 215
3. Gabe Stephens 225
4. Jabron Harvey
5. Tyler Thompson

POWEREND
1. Rucker - possible Jack
2. Ritzie - possible DT
3. Dez Evans
4. Jacolbe Cowan
5. Beau Atkinson
6. Bryson Jennings

Rucker needs to start even though Dez was the starter last yr. But Rucker might be too slow for Jack. Ritzie is probably starter material but at 290 and 6'4.5 he might need to be a little thicker to be more effective on the interior.

I assume 6'2 Tomari Fox is DT, but he could drop a few pounds and probably be Powerend...

Assuming Shaw/Hester/Murphy are the starters on the interior the coaches have TWELVE bodies to find two serviceable END players.

The defense wasn't the issue with Oregon. They did fairly well and have improved. As far as Cross, I am not sure people complaining really know what the deal is. He had Strowbridge doing stunts and so forth.

In general, there is so much complaining about Mack but honest, would we even have these players without him? Would Drake Maye be QB?
The answer is no. Program rebuilding takes time in football.

Let's see how we do next year. Hopefully Caleb Hood is back or regardless we have a power RB that gets extra yardage and another RB that does the same. We didn't have that.

I thought and hope we use our TEs more. We did a lot more this year but we could do a lot more.

KInd of comes down to the O-line next season.

As far as Cross, I am not sure people complaining really know what the deal is. He had Strowbridge doing stunts and so forth.
Crawford and Strowbridge were both really solid, but they were only coached by Cross for one yr AND Cross was only coaching Interior DL at that time, someone else had the "OLB" positions. Vohasek has been decent too though.

Feels like DL coaching could help if technique and execution of fundamentals improves, but that is only half of it if we don't fix the quickness, the heart & toughness aspects systemically.

Reactions: randman1

In addition to the talk of Mack's country-club atmosphere, I'm starting to think we're offering too many "athletes" and ex-basketball players instead of true hard-nosed, gym rat, junkyard dogs. Look at a guy like Rucker who is undersized, not insanely athletic, but plays harder than anyone else on the team and therefore produces.
Hold on just a minute now!

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
When was the last time we hired a coach or coordinator away from another school that was sad to see them go?

Need to expand the war chest and start cutting the kind of checks that will convince elite coaches to take a chance on this program.

Reactions: riverswe
When was the last time we hired a coach or coordinator away from another school that was sad to see them go?

Need to expand the war chest and start cutting the kind of checks that will convince elite coaches to take a chance on this program.
robert gillespie…and then vader came knocking.

Reactions: UNCfan1787
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT