ADVERTISEMENT

Allen Artis getting an extra yr

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Artis will be here next yr, a 5th yr for him.

Been some chatter lately about recruiting and whether Fed could *nudge* more career-backup players out the door rather than keep them on scholly their full 4 or 5 yrs. You'd do this to free up a scholarship for a recruit, in hopes that the recruit is a diamond-in-the-rough and better eventually than what the backup guy can give you immediately.

He's a guy that I might let go. Went from safety to linebacker, back to safety. He seems like a solid special-teamer, but unless he's a better outside linebacker than Gemmel/Ross/Malik Robinson, i'd be tempted to trade him for a frosh recruit at a future position of need (linebacker/dt).

Artis will be here next yr, a 5th yr for him.

Been some chatter lately about recruiting and whether Fed could *nudge* more career-backup players out the door rather than keep them on scholly their full 4 or 5 yrs. You'd do this to free up a scholarship for a recruit, in hopes that the recruit is a diamond-in-the-rough and better eventually than what the backup guy can give you immediately.

He's a guy that I might let go. Went from safety to linebacker, back to safety. He seems like a solid special-teamer, but unless he's a better outside linebacker than Gemmel/Ross/Malik Robinson, i'd be tempted to trade him for a frosh recruit at a future position of need (linebacker/dt).
If he is truly a good citizen, then he may well have greater value to the team than just on the field plays. is he at least close to graduating? Is he known as a hard worker in practice? Does he help younger players?

Reactions: franklin street
If he is truly a good citizen, then he may well have greater value to the team than just on the field plays. is he at least close to graduating? Is he known as a hard worker in practice? Does he help younger players?

These are the important questions, especially for a fifth year senior.

If he has these traits then they will hopefully be maxed out for next year. An extra year of eligibility should reignite anybody's work ethic and leadership qualities IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT