ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Staples: Hot Names and Hot Seats

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
link

Jeff Brohm is his 1st Hot Name, and Staples says Brohm is perfect for hometown alma mater Louisville. "At Louisville, he could recruit the kind of players who could compete for titles in the ACC. And if you can compete for the ACC title, there’s a good chance you can compete for the national title."

Scott Satterfield is a Hot Name.

4 coaches on Hot Seat, including Petrino. But not Fedora.

Miami DC Manny Diaz is listed as a Hot Name. Staples stresses that Miami is winning with a top D while the offense flounders.

Richt had very good or near great QB play at UGA and excellent all around offenses. If he had kept that and added Diaz and the Canes D, he's be as good as Clemson. But Richt decided to focus his offense on finding the next Jalen Hurts just as Nick Saban realized that was limiting even when you have as much talent as Bama.

To toss aside what you have done best is always risky at best, and often proves your demise. With the Canes offense not much, and no top passers begging to go there anymore, if Diaz leaves, Richt will struggle.

And we can take advantage with the right new HC.

Two things.

How can Fed not be on the hot seat?

Hire Satterfield now!!!!!

Fedora is a no-doubt hot seat candidate, and anyone who has watched college football this year knows it. No need to include it in the article.

The only thing that matters is what the PTB at UNC think. That’s what has me worried.

Very true. I just don't see how he comes back next year. In the last four years, our records have been 11-3, 8-5 (with QB who went #2 in draft), 3-9, and now 1-5 so far this year. The program is on a downward spiral and shows no signs of coming back up.

But even putting the wins and records aside, I would also factor in the pre-season comments about football and CTE. His statements were ridiculous and completely unnecessary. I don't think he represented the program well with those statements.

I don't think anyone wants him back, but I also don't think anyone decent wants to replace him. The question is going to be do the donors want to pay 12 million just to make a change or keep that 12 million and hope you can get a coach with a good resume after next year. I don't think they will put up that kind of money to hire a flavor of the month coach with a thin resume. Those types of coaches are always available and you wouldn't have to pay $12 million to get one.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
From what I read, the $12 million would decrease by $3.5 million each year. Like I said in the other thread, we return most of our starters next year. If we wait another year until after most of our starters are gone, the cupboard will be bare. Why not give the new coach a fighting chance to have some initial success and aid his recruiting efforts? Hell, the rebuilding job is going to be difficult enough as it is.

From what I read, the $12 million would decrease by $3.5 million each year. Like I said in the other thread, we return most of our starters next year. If we wait another year until after most of our starters are gone, the cupboard will be bare. Why not give the new coach a fighting chance to have some initial success and aid his recruiting efforts? Hell, the rebuilding job is going to be difficult enough as it is.
I agree with your assessment. This recruiting class is ruined already. If Fedora comes back, another recruiting class will be ruined - the early signing date makes that even more certain.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
He's definitely not on the "hot seat" but there is a lot written right now about problems with Urban Meyer and Ohio State. It mainly has to do with Meyer feeling the AD and President didn't support him enough during the investigation. Now, he's got more health issues on top of it, similar to what he had when he left Florida.

would you boys want petrino right now?
No. Petrino came to fame as the gunslinger HC with a passing offense that was fairly sophisticated, but now he has fallen for the temptation to play backyard football. It seemed great for a season, but is costing him, just as it has cost Fedora.

Petrino was hired both times by Jurich, who has been fired. Petrino could be next.

I thought Louisville made a bad decision bringing Petrino back when they hired. He's overrated in my opinion. Brohm would be a solid choice as a replacement.

I totally agree. A new coach is going to have serious uphill sledding in 2020.

I feel like a good D is more predicated on recruiting, while a good O can be borne from x & o's. (Partly why I want an offensive-minded HC).

So I think the D is going to be in trouble in 2020 if we don't get recruiting back on track soon. If this class doesn't have some miracles, and then the 2020 class is simply afraid that Fed will be fired, the D side will be really bare.

Reactions: Archer2
My #1 choice would be Kiffin, but I would also be satisfied with Strong. Like Kiffin, I don't think Strong would be tempted to leave for more high profile jobs after how he was treated at Texas. He would make the team bowl eligible consistently and would put us in contention for division titles. Maybe not every year, but enough to keep the fan base happy.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
My #1 choice would be Kiffin, but I would also be satisfied with Strong. Like Kiffin, I don't think Strong would be tempted to leave for more high profile jobs after how he was treated at Texas. He would make the team bowl eligible consistently and would put us in contention for division titles. Maybe not every year, but enough to keep the fan base happy.
Before the season began, I was all in on Kiffin. He's struggling this year, so now I'm not so sure about him. It could just be an off year, but unless he wins out I might be hesitant to hire him.

If Charlie couldn't win at Texas exactly what in the world makes one think that he could win in Chapel Hill?
Texas football is a different beast. You can't compare us to them. We are closer to his other former school, UL.

Satterfield!! Can't prove you can win on a big stage if you're not given the chance, and i have a feeling some big stage schools are gonna start calling him and lure him away from App.He's proven he can win with smart disciplined teams and would bring back instant credibility with NC high school coaches and instate recruits.

Texas football is a different beast. You can't compare us to them. We are closer to his other former school, UL.
Strong clearly wilted before the TX media. UNC does not have that for football but it does overall for sports. We are more like Texas than Louisville in many ways, and much more like Texas than USF, where Strong seems very comfortable.

Remember that Strong did not coach Louisville in the ACC. He had 3 years in the BE and 1 in the AAC. Strong's only 3 years of being HC in a truly Major conference were at Texas, and he lost 7 games all 3 seasons.

Satterfield!! Can't prove you can win on a big stage if you're not given the chance, and i have a feeling some big stage schools are gonna start calling him and lure him away from App.He's proven he can win with smart disciplined teams and would bring back instant credibility with NC high school coaches and instate recruits.
Amen. I’ve been preaching this for a good while now. But I’m sure we’ll fart around and watch Satterfield get snatched up.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Amen. I’ve been preaching this for a good while now. But I’m sure we’ll fart around and watch Satterfield get snatched up.
The most glaring issue with Satterfield is the fact that he has only 3 years of coaching that is not at App St. Some guys may be great at only 1 school.

The most glaring issue with Satterfield is the fact that he has only 3 years of coaching that is not at App St. Some guys may be great at only 1 school.
I was watching some sports show and they were talking about the most underrated football coaches. His name was mentioned first. If he can go into Happy Valley and come within a hair of winning, with half the talent, he can coach.

The only question should be whether or not he can run an F5 program. There’s no doubt in my mind that he can do so effectively. He’s the antithesis of Fed. He walks the walk, Fed talks the talk.

I’m praying we hire this guy before somebody else snatches him up. We have a history of bad hires. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our program can’t sink any lower, we’re already at the bottom of a mediocre football league.

WTF?

Reactions: 94tarheel
Each hire is a gamble regardless of name or experience.

Kiffin benefited from his name and became the youngest head coach in the NFL. When he failed at that, he headed Tennessee, shafted them. Then he goes to USC. He has tradition, talent, etc and still didn’t deliver. He did however get the NCAA to look at USC. Goes to Bama to revitalize his career but then leaves on not so good terms. He has yet to turn FAU into a power yet FAU sits in one of the best recruiting grounds in America. Dude has all of the advantages in the world but has not done squat. Who couldn't be an OC at Bama.

Strong isn't leaving USF anytime soon. Due to his time at UF, Strong created contacts that allowed him to recruit FL well enough to build a good program at UL. Texas was a beast and it was the wrong time, wrong place for Strong. Now, he is back in FL and you see the results. I doubt Strong is going to leave USF anytime soon. He can keep home grown talent in FL.

UNC has got to get off the pot and shake all of the bad hires off, AGAIN. They achieved it when Butch was hired but that didn't work out. Fedora was a stop gap. He looked at UNC as a stepping stone to a higher profile program. If he could keep the train going doing the "scandal", he could have a shot. That 11-3 season set him up for that but he couldn't seal the deal and now that chance has passed by. I honestly believe Fedora is going through the motions now.

UNC has the chance to make a "Mack Brown" hire. Enough of the slurping after former Big Name coaches who had the benefit for coaching at a powerhouse program. Bring in a coach and his staff that coaches. That develop talent. That obvious coaches up to their roster's talent level to the point that they have a chance against programs that are much more talented. UNC would be crazy not to be the 1st in line to get the services of Satterfield or Houston. All I can do is pray that they make the right move.

Last edited:
Satterfield checks all my boxes with the exception of P5 HC experience. He’s shown me enough to feel he can overcome that.
I agree. I feel confident he is a non-P5 HC who will be able to win big at a P5. He took App from 1AA to 1A. he had a winning record that initial season in 1A. Then he not only got App to bowls the school's first 3 years eligible for bowls, but he won them all: he is 3-0 in bowls. And this team may be his best. Rather than overseeing regression, he is making App a permanent fixture in bowls at the very top of the Sunbelt.

I'd be happy for him to coach UNC in 2019.

Wake beating Louisville means the Cards are 2-6, with wins over 1AA Indiana St and Sunbelt Western KY, which has 1 win. Petrino may get canned this year to get a clean start with a new AD.

Brohm at Louisville and Fedora at UNC: which program would you bet on?

FSU is not going to fire Taggart after 1 season, but this is funny: FSU prof reading chick lit during blowout loss to Clemson.

FSU is 4-4, with games at Moo and ND, and home games vs. BC and Florida. Anybody think we could see a 4-8 FSU team?

Jimbo left that program in a mess. He seemed to have checked out mentally and emotionally a year before he took the Aggie offer.

FSU is not going to fire Taggart after 1 season, but this is funny: FSU prof reading chick lit during blowout loss to Clemson.

FSU is 4-4, with games at Moo and ND, and home games vs. BC and Florida. Anybody think we could see a 4-8 FSU team?

Jimbo left that program in a mess. He seemed to have checked out mentally and emotionally a year before he took the Aggie offer.

Man, try two- three years before. How do you have top 10, top 15 recruiting classes and have this mess. Either the talent evaluation slipped or there is no player development happening. FSU's Oline is horrible.

Reality is we can’t get too picky or try to land a home run. We are not a destination job and any good coach will know coming in that the cupboard is bare with talent/depth in comparison to other P5’s. Best bet is to get a good, up and coming young coach who will take the challenge head on. Truth is, we can’t do worse than Fedora. He literally is everything those USM folks said he’d be.

Reality is we can’t get too picky or try to land a home run. We are not a destination job and any good coach will know coming in that the cupboard is bare with talent/depth in comparison to other P5’s. Best bet is to get a good, up and coming young coach who will take the challenge head on. Truth is, we can’t do worse than Fedora. He literally is everything those USM folks said he’d be.
This is untrue.

Reactions: lerario

This is just a terrible post. I mean just a down right awful take.

....Truth is, we can’t do worse than Fedora. He literally is everything those USM folks said he’d be.
this part is true. fedora is one of the stupidest coaches i've ever seen. UNC deserves a coach who's SMART -- one who hires talented assistants, teaches fundamentals, puts together solid game plans and halftime adjustments, calls plays that make sense without being predictable, etc. bottom line: intelligence inspires confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT