ADVERTISEMENT

Another Bobby Petrino sleazy move

Jun 14, 2014
Pulled Kids Scholarship 2 days before signing day, with no time left for official visits .. Kid has no issues, only because of "team needs".. Been committed for 8 months.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/03/louisville-asks-south-carolina-rb-to-grayshirt-at-a-tough-time/

https://rivals.yahoo.com/northcarolina/football/recruiting/player-Matt-Colburn-149912;_ylt=AjYaOJr_VGcpkdwkhb4OglcPtJB4

Mr. Football South Carolina.. - You think UNC would be entertained to offer? I know its not a major position of need for us, but there is room

I know Wake Forest Just Offered

This post was edited on 2/3 2:44 PM by carolina4lyfe

Petrino is a good coach, but hot garbage as a person. Feel terrible for the kid.

I'd like to think this will come back to bite him when HS coaches refuse to talk to UL's staff, but Nick Saban and Les Miles (among others) have been doing this kind of stuff for years.

dutch fork hs is a big deal here...and everybody knows the big stick knotts carries around.

louisville is screwed in this state

Originally posted by gteeitup:
dutch fork hs is a big deal here...and everybody knows the big stick knotts carries around.

Yep. I've said all along that the main problem with Petrino's second tenure in Louisville will be recruiting. At BEST, his recruiting would start slow because he'd have to re-build his image and spend time to make HS coaches and parents trust him, and in the meantime, fill the ranks with transfers and JUCOs.....and that was assuming no more slip-ups on his part!!

With this stunt, his recruiting ability is taking yet another hit. I'd be absolutely appalled if I found out UNC coaches did this -- I really hope this isn't happening at Carolina (it isn't, as far as I know).

Might already be starting.

Good for them. Sleaze doesn't begin to describe Petrino and as much as I like Louisville as a school, when they hired this arse clown back after all the crap he has pulled over the years, I was really scratching my head.

IMHO, what he just did to this kid is about as low as you can get with a HS athlete. Yes, I know athletes "flip" all the time, but I believe most programs have some contingency plan in place "just in case" something like that happens. This kid has been committed to them for what, 8 months? No academic or other problems and seems to be a good kid who truly wanted to play at UL. Absolutely no reason to pull his scholly this late in the game.

Personally I hope this bites Petrino big time.

This post was edited on 2/3 10:48 PM by Littlejon

Dutch Fork Bans Petrino

wish this young man all the luck in the world. i hope he lands wherever is a best fit for he and his future.

Originally posted by gteeitup:

DF is where I played high school ball. Unfortunately Knotts got hired the year after I graduated...

The scholarship wasn't pulled. We signed too many but we offered the kid a full ride on a grey shirt scholarship. 4 month delay and he's in school in January. Nothing sleazy about that. There is a long list of schools that did that or worse.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Guy is scum...kid was l0yal and you offer a grey shirt days before...NSD...not surprised by Petrino
This post was edited on 2/7 12:56 PM by 2for3

Originally posted by genghis_card:
The scholarship wasn't pulled.
Will Colburn be able to enroll at Louisville in August, on scholarship, like he's been planning since last summer? If the answer to that question is no, then his scholarship was effectively pulled for the fall semester. Let's not get bogged down by semantics.

4 month delay and he's in school in January. Nothing sleazy about that.
Yes, it's sleazy as hell. Colburn's recruitment began at least as early as October 2013 according to his Rivals profile. So he probably spent over a year taking visits, entertaining calls from coaches, and enduring the recruiting process so he could make the most important decision of his life. In the end he fell in love with Louisville and that's where he wants to be. But Petrino cut him off at the knees. Here are his options now:

1) Choose to enroll somewhere other than the school he fell in love with
2) Pay his own way for the fall semester, which would cost him around $12,000 as an out-of-state student
3) Sit around idly for four months until he can enroll at Louisville while his fellow recruits get a one-season head start

Those are three pretty crappy choices. No other way to spin it.

To make matters worse, the deadline to declare for the NFL Draft was January 15. Petrino knew three weeks before National Signing Day that he was going to need more defensive backs. Why didn't he notify Colburn then about the possibility of a grayshirt? No, that dirtbag waited until two days before National Signing Day, which means there were no remaining weekends for Colburn -- who surely attends high school classes during the week -- to make an official visit somewhere else. You'll have a hard time convincing me the timing of Petrino's communication wasn't by design.

There is a long list of schools that did that or worse.
Your logical fallacy is bandwagon.

Look, I like Louisville fans. I really do. But you guys knew exactly what you were getting with Petrino. Own it. Stop trying to defend his defenseless behaviors. It makes you all look bad. I suggest you adopt the attitude of FDR towards Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza: "He's a bastard, but he's our bastard."

Did I really just read that a Tar Heel fan alluded / linked to Keith Olberman?? I just threw up in my mouth.

As for this topic, I also really like Louisville and their fans, but y'all need to own this one. It's a crappy situation. Hopefully Petrino learns from it, and quick, otherwise the Carolinas will be off limits to Louisville recruiting completely.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Will Colburn be able to enroll at Louisville in August, on scholarship, like he's been planning since last summer? If the answer to that question is no, then his scholarship was effectively pulled for the fall semester. Let's not get bogged down by semantics.

Yes, it's sleazy as hell. Colburn's recruitment began at least as early as October 2013 according to his Rivals profile. So he probably spent over a year taking visits, entertaining calls from coaches, and enduring the recruiting process so he could make the most important decision of his life. In the end he fell in love with Louisville and that's where he wants to be. But Petrino cut him off at the knees. Here are his options now:

2) Pay his own way for the fall semester, which would cost him around $12,000 as an out-of-state student
3) Sit around idly for four months until he can enroll at Louisville while his fellow recruits get a one-season head start

To make matters worse, the deadline to declare for the NFL Draft was January 15. Petrino knew three weeks before National Signing Day that he was going to need more defensive backs. Why didn't he notify Colburn then about the possibility of a grayshirt? No, that dirtbag waited until two days before National Signing Day, which means there were no remaining weekends for Colburn -- who surely attends high school classes during the week -- to make an official visit somewhere else. You'll have a hard time convincing me the timing of Petrino's communication wasn't by design.

Look, I like Louisville fans. I really do. But you guys knew exactly what you were getting with Petrino. Own it. Stop trying to defend his defenseless behaviors. It makes you all look bad. I suggest you adopt the attitude of FDR towards Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza: "He's a bastard, but he's our bastard."
Bottom line, ethically. you dont pull a scholarship from someone who has been committed the longest, and before over 20 other players 2 days before signing day..

Originally posted by carolina4lyfe:
Bottom line, ethically. you dont pull a scholarship from someone who has been committed the longest, and before over 20 other players 2 days before signing day..
Again, bottom line: scholarship was not pulled, only delayed. Because we ended up with more recruits staying on board than we thought we would. At least we told him of the situation 2 days before NSD.

What about these kids? These kids and these schools went ahead and signed, then said oops.

Team - Signed LOI

Memphis 30
Tennessee 29
Auburn 28
Georgia 28
Texas 28
Mississippi State 28
South Carolina 28
Ohio State 27
Georgia Tech 27
Cincinnati 27
Kansas 27
Purdue 27

At least we told him of the situation 2 days before NSD.
roll.r191677.gif

Quick! Somebody get Petrino a humanitarian award! As I already pointed out, he should have been told 3 weeks before NSD.

What about these kids? These kids and these schools went ahead and signed, then said oops.
Um, no they didn't. You do understand programs can sign more than 25 players, right? Maybe you should stop posting before you embarrass yourself further.

At least we told him of the situation 2 days before NSD.
roll.r191677.gif

Quick! Somebody get Petrino a humanitarian award! As I already pointed out, he should have been told 3 weeks before NSD.
Again- if we had known 3 weeks before NSD that we wouldn't have a spot for him in the 2015 class there is no reason to believe we wouldn't have told him. Per local radio reports this came down to a discussion between DC Grantham and Petrino THIS WEEK. That makes perfect sense to me. Petrino is an offensive guy and wants to press for another back. Grantham talked him out of it. We expected several decommits at the last minute. Redwine was the only one.

First off, I like UofL and I supported your move to the ACC. No sour grapes or axe to grind with UofL here. That said, it was a dick move, greyshirts ARE normal... and normally you tell the recruit up front that he might have to greyshirt. Waiting until right before NSD is NOT normal, and won't be no matter how many times you try to defend it.

Not only that, you are whistling past the graveyard if you think this won't cause you problems down the road. Knotts is one of the most influential coaches in SC AND NC... Petrino just made recruiting NC and SC a lot harder for your team.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Idaho refused to pull the scholly of a recruit who had a season ending surgery. Their coach is petrinos brother.
It was probably a career ending injury in Idaho's case. The kid offered to let them back out of the scholarship offer, but Idaho refused that chance and stood by it. That's awesome.

But Louisville didn't pull the scholarship either. We wanted the kid as a Cardinal. Scholarship was still there.

An earlier poster said he'd have to pay his own way the first semeser, which is true if he began in the fall. But he didn't have to do that. He could have begun in January with a full ride and full eligibility. He chose not to.

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:

Not only that, you are whistling past the graveyard if you think this won't cause you problems down the road. Knotts is one of the most influential coaches in SC AND NC... Petrino just made recruiting NC and SC a lot harder for your team.
No doubt about that. We've recruited very few kids from NC or SC over the years but I really hate to see brand new bridges burned. Hopefully Knotts will cool down.

I know if my kid were playing for Knotts I wouldn't be one bit happy if he tried to block any P5 school from recruiting him.

No doubt about that. We've recruited very few kids from NC or SC over the years but I really hate to see brand new bridges burned. Hopefully Knotts will cool down.

I know if my kid were playing for Knotts I wouldn't be one bit happy if he tried to block any P5 school from recruiting him.
If a kid is good enough that one P5 wants to recruit him, then there will be other P5s who also want to recruit him as well. Your problem is that everyone already thought Petrino was a dbag. Now he confirmed it once again. Trust me- there are going to be a ton of coaches who will still go hard after Louisville commits while whispering "are you sure Petrino wants you- look what he did to the player who was Mr Football from SC. I know if I were a parent of a D1 football recruit that I wouldn't let Petrino into my house, and the more stunts he pulls like this, the more parents there will be who think the same way.

Serious question for the Cards guys ITT: are you proud to have Petrino represent your school?

espn reporting today that Colburn has signed letter of intent with WF. High School coach has banned petrino and his staff from recruiting at that school . . . very upset at UL and petrino.

And petrino seems like such a class act
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

If a kid is good enough that one P5 wants to recruit him, then there will be other P5s who also want to recruit him as well. Your problem is that everyone already thought Petrino was a dbag. Now he confirmed it once again. Trust me- there are going to be a ton of coaches who will still go hard after Louisville commits while whispering "are you sure Petrino wants you- look what he did to the player who was Mr Football from SC. I know if I were a parent of a D1 football recruit that I wouldn't let Petrino into my house, and the more stunts he pulls like this, the more parents there will be who think the same way.

Serious question for the Cards guys ITT: are you proud to have Petrino represent your school?
Pulling the grayshirt happens every year across the country. The SEC does it all the time. if I remember correctly, a few years back LSU forced grayshorts on 3 commits and Bama on 2 - same recruiting class.

Is it a good thing? Nope. But sometimes it is what a program should do for the program.

Is Petrino uniquely guilty? Not close.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Pulling the grayshirt happens every year across the country. The SEC does it all the time. if I remember correctly, a few years back LSU forced grayshorts on 3 commits and Bama on 2 - same recruiting class.

Is it a good thing? Nope. But sometimes it is what a program should do for the program.

Is Petrino uniquely guilty? Not close.
We would have to know the specifics of the gray shirts in those programs and compare to this instance. What were the expectations of the other recruits? When were they told they might have to sit a semester? etc. etc.

What we do know is that the kid's coach was pissed off to the point of banning Petrino from recruiting his kids. Is he such an influential coach that other programs in the state will take notice? That could hurt Louisville in the long run more than the program was helped by this move, assuming that it was even helped as recruiting is such a crap shoot.

Also, Petrino does not have the luxury of acting like a lying sleazebag from time to time as other coaches may do- Bobby has used up all his credit in this department.

I agree,defending Petrino is like Cards fans jumping on UK fans over Calishady,a sleeze is a sleeze.I hope and pray Carolina never goes that route.

I dont have the patience to sort through the semantics and nuances. All i'll say is any coach who commits to a kid in any form and then months later reneges on it is a pos. Thats any coach for any school including ours. Its wrong, its dishonest, its misleading and its lying. Toying with the future of a kid for your own best interests shows a lack of integrity and honor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT