ADVERTISEMENT

Another Thead for a Slow Day: Future Conference Schedules

topdecktiger

Hall of Famer
Mar 29, 2011
Awhile back, there was a lot of discussion about how the ACC should manage scheduling going forward, and what to do with the division setup. I was tinkering around with a setup, and I wanted to see what kind of reaction it got.

The current framework would stay the same. There would be two divisions, and the winners play in the CCG. The schedule is 8 games, with 6 division games and 2 crossovers.

The change is that the divisions rotate. The teams are divided up into four groups, two with 4 teams (Blue/Gold) and two with 3 teams (Red/Green). The Red and Green groups stay in the same divisions, and the Blue and Gold groups rotate. There are two rotations, each lasting for two years. The crossover games are only played between divisions of the same size, Red/Green and Blue/Gold. The Blue/Gold crossovers are straightforward. A schools plays two of the teams in Rotation #1, and then plays the other two in Rotation #2. For the Red/Green groups, it's slightly different. Each school has one permanent crossover rival from the opposite group. The team is played every year. Then the other two teams are rotated. The effect is that every team in the conference will play 3 rivals every year, and play all the other teams twice in 4 years. That's a lot better than the 12-year window that currently exists.

You could split up the groups any way you like, but I devised this setup so that Florida ST and Miami would be separated. The reason behind this is so that each school can play a Florida team every year, for recruiting purposes. I was curious to see how this would fly with other fans. I think it's really the best setup, much better than the way it's done now. I also don't understand why the ACC didn't pursue this setup when they were discussing the scheduling issue.

Groups_zps8d923aa7.jpg

This post was edited on 1/7 4:22 PM by topdecktiger

Interesting -- will need to study this more in detail when I get home from work. Two things immediately jump out:

1). You don't have Carolina and MooU playing every year. That won't fly
2) In response to your asking why the ACC didn't consider this option, I'm not sure this setup passes current NCAA rules. I'm fairly certain divisions have to remain "static," i.e. no rotation. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your concept though, thus why I need to review it more thoroughly.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Interesting -- will need to study this more in detail when I get home from work. Two things immediately jump out:

2) In response to your asking why the ACC didn't consider this option, I'm not sure this setup passes current NCAA rules. I'm fairly certain divisions have to remain "static," i.e. no rotation. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your concept though, thus why I need to review it more thoroughly.

The grouping of teams is fairly easy to swap out. You could put all four Tobacco Road schools in on group, and all the northern schools in the other. That's what I was trying to find out, which games would have to be protected.

For #2, the divisions can rotate. The WAC used to have rotating divisions back in the 90s when they had 16 schools, so it's already legal. That's why I was throwing out this idea, since it can already be done without adding teams or changing any rules.

This is what it would look like adjusted for NC State:

UNCGroups_zps4bdbfd2b.jpg

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

The grouping of teams is fairly easy to swap out. You could put all four Tobacco Road schools in on group, and all the northern schools in the other. That's what I was trying to find out, which games would have to be protected.

For #2, the divisions can rotate. The WAC used to have rotating divisions back in the 90s when they had 16 schools, so it's already legal. That's why I was throwing out this idea, since it can already be done without adding teams or changing any rules.

This is what it would look like adjusted for NC State:

ec
UNC would demand to play dook and UVa, UVa would demand to play us and VT, state would demand to play UNC ( many UNC would be fine with them going off and effing themselves with a hot poker, and never playing them again )

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:

UNC would demand to play dook and UVa, UVa would demand to play us and VT, state would demand to play UNC ( many UNC would be fine with them going off and effing themselves with a hot poker, and never playing them again )

Well, this leads to another question. Back during the summer, most posters on here were on board with the idea of removing the divisions, and having the two highest-ranked teams play in the title game. The thing is, if you did that, you would still have to use the same basic schedule I laid out, where you pick two or three permanent rivals, and rotate the other games. That would still lead to the problem of some teams not being to play each other every year, and the same decisions would still have to be made. I just kept the scheduling within the framework of the division format. So my question is, does this issue with rivalries affect everyone's view of the no-division format?

Games that must be annual or at least 1 team will raise all cain

UNC - UVA
UNC - Dook
UNC - MooU
FSU - Miami
GT - Clemson
GT - Dook
MooU - Wake
UVA - VT
Clemson - FSU
Clemson - MooU

The reality of ACC football is that to play every game that must be played annually and have reasonably balanced divisions, the best we can get is what we have.

And that is the reason we need to have the NCAA de-regulate divisions and then move to have none. Instead, we each team play 3 annual rivals, which with 14 league members wouod give us 3+5 (5) scheduling, which means each team would play every team in the ACC at least twice every 4 years. WE all would see each other regularly, while all must be annual games would remain annual.

The 2 teams with the best league records would play for the championship.

The divisions will never go away. TV (read: ESPN) likes them too much. The ACC isn't going to change a format that ESPN likes.

You would still have to give up some rivalries, even under the 3+5 format. North Carolina might not, you aren't going to be able to get all those teams into a group to satisfy all those rivalries. For example, to keep the Clemson/Florida St game, that would require Clemson going into a group with Florida St/Miami. Now you have only one spot left. That means you can't have the Clemson NC State game, because NC State has to be in a group with North Carolina, but North Carolina can't be in the Clemson group, since there is only one spot left. It doesn't work any better that way.

The divisions will never go away. TV (read: ESPN) likes them too much. The ACC isn't going to change a format that ESPN likes.

You would still have to give up some rivalries, even under the 3+5 format. North Carolina might not, you aren't going to be able to get all those teams into a group to satisfy all those rivalries. For example, to keep the Clemson/Florida St game, that would require Clemson going into a group with Florida St/Miami. Now you have only one spot left. That means you can't have the Clemson NC State game, because NC State has to be in a group with North Carolina, but North Carolina can't be in the Clemson group, since there is only one spot left. It doesn't work any better that way.
I've heard that before, and if it is true, then TV (ESPN) is stupid.

Start with the SEC. Think first of SEC fans and then of general college football fans. Would either prefer to see Bama vs. Ole Miss and Arkansas every year, or see Bama play Florida and Georgia twice every 2 years?

Would ACC football fans and/or general college football fans prefer to see Clemson play Wake and Syracuse and BC every year, or to see Clemson play UNC and Miami and VT twice every 4 years?

In a schedule of 3 annual games plus 5 rotating games, no games that must be played annually will be lost as annual rivalries.

It's not stupid. You don't understand how the TV business works. It's not about individual matchups. The reason networks want divisions is because it brings more teams into the title race, and thus offers a larger selection of relevant games (read: better ratings).

What you have to understand is that even if you matchup the best teams in a conference (your Alabama/Florida/Georgia example), you still have a majority of games that aren't compelling matchups based on the teams alone. You are stuck with those games either way (for example, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee in the SEC East). Now, if you take just the two highest ranked teams, then 80-90% of the games in your conference don't matter. Only the top 2-3 teams have a legitimate shot. The effect is that ESPN (or whoever) has a handful of good games, and then is stuck with a whole bunch of stinkers. Now, when you split into divisions, a lot of those stinker games now have conference title implications, which makes those games more valuable. Thus, you doubled, maybe even tripled, the amount of significant games you can broadcast. Those games get better ratings, and then get more advertising dollars. So yeah, it makes infinite sense for a network to prefer divisions.

A couple of examples. In the SEC, the ranked teams were Alabama, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Georgia, Missouri, Auburn, and LSU. If you took the top two ranked teams, you would have essentially had Alabama, Mississippi St, and Ole Miss as the realistic contenders. Georgia and Missouri had an outside shot, at best. However, going into the final weeks, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee all had chances to win the East, and Alabama, Mississippi St, and Ole Miss had a chance to win the West. Under your scenario, most of those teams would have been eliminated in mid season. That means, ESPN would have had a bunch of meaningless games with Tennessee, Missouri, Florida, etc. However, with the division format, those teams still had an actual chance to win the conference. That meant that even a game like Florida and South Carolina (who was mathematically eliminated by that point) still had relevance. Which do you think ESPN would rather have, Florida vs South Carolina where one team can still win the conference, or Florida vs South Carolina where the game is meaningless? Of course, ESPN wants the game where something is on the line.

Another example is the Big Ten. Ohio St and Michigan St were far and away the highest ranked teams in the Big Ten. It wasn't even close. The entire season would have simply been a tune up for the CCG between those two. However, because of the divisions, you had Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska all in the running for the conference title, and in fact it came down to the final week. That meant that even games like Minnesota-Iowa and Nebraska-Illinois had conference title implications. Again, would ESPN/Fox rather have those games with title implications, or have those games be completely meaningless? The answer is pretty obvious.

Before the SEC had divisions, virtually 100% of TV sports executives were certain it was a bad idea for TV ratings. They felt that way because they were confident thast what they knew was best and would always be best. Many today are that stupid for the same reason: what they know is almost all they can imagine.

Nobody outside hardcore fans of BT West teams, including fans of BT East teams, gave a half flip about any 'exciting' BT West race that went to the last weekend. Everybody cares aboput Ohio St and Michigan playing BT teams, especially those with any chance of being good.

The reality is that especially today, TV sports fans get bored easily. They will respond to variety better than the same games played over and over, unless the same games teams are Big winners with Big reputations. Ohio St-Michigan is always interesting, and save for their fansm Minnesota-Iowa is rarely interesting to more than a handful even if the game is somehow key to a division race.

The average ESPN executive may be unable to realize it yet, but general college footbnall fans will respond much better to seeing, say, Pitt go against Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and even NCSU twice every 4 years than they will seeing Pitt play Dook and UNC and UVA every year.

Variety is the spice of life.

What television wants is irrelevant to the discussion about divisions. Divisions exist because of an NCAA rule that says conferences can only stage a championship game if the conference has two divisions, teams play every member of their division, and the winners of each division face each other in the championship game.

The ACC and Big 12 have already petitioned the NCAA to deregulate the championship rules. The NCAA is an organization comprised of member institutions, so if the ACC and Big 12 get enough support from other conferences we could certainly see deregulation happen. That would open the possibility for dozens of regular season conference formats.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Before the SEC had divisions, virtually 100% of TV sports executives were certain it was a bad idea for TV ratings. They felt that way because they were confident thast what they knew was best and would always be best. Many today are that stupid for the same reason: what they know is almost all they can imagine.

Nobody outside hardcore fans of BT West teams, including fans of BT East teams, gave a half flip about any 'exciting' BT West race that went to the last weekend. Everybody cares aboput Ohio St and Michigan playing BT teams, especially those with any chance of being good.

The reality is that especially today, TV sports fans get bored easily. They will respond to variety better than the same games played over and over, unless the same games teams are Big winners with Big reputations. Ohio St-Michigan is always interesting, and save for their fansm Minnesota-Iowa is rarely interesting to more than a handful even if the game is somehow key to a division race.

The average ESPN executive may be unable to realize it yet, but general college footbnall fans will respond much better to seeing, say, Pitt go against Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and even NCSU twice every 4 years than they will seeing Pitt play Dook and UNC and UVA every year.

Variety is the spice of life.

Again, you misunderstand the business model. Back in the old days, what you way is true. The reason is, back then, networks only bid on what we call to day "Tier 1" content. Those were typical Alabama/LSU, Georgia/Florida games. That was mainly because you had 3 networks + ESPN showing a handful of games each week. The monetary investment was only in the marquee games.

However, now the business model is completely different. Now, the networks buy ALL a conference's TV rights. That means, they paid for the crappy Minnesota/Iowa, Pitt/Wake Forest games, as well as Auburn/Alabama, Florida St/Miami, etc. The networks can't just write off these other games as an expense. They can't pay all that money and the only payoff be Alabama/Auburn. They have to get a return on their investment of those midlevel games as well. The marquee games don't make enough money to offset purchasing ALL the rights. Otherwise, they would just go back to the old model of only buying Tier 1 rights.

So, to get a return on their investment on the midlevel games, they have to do something to increase their value. That's accomplished by the divisional format. It brings more teams into the title race, which brings higher ratings. And I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Fans want to see games that matter. The proof of that is the playoff games. Both the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl set viewership records for ESPN. That's because those games had title implications. That's how all sports works. Games with title implications get better ratings that games with no title implications. Sorry, but it's just a fact.

The problem here is that you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not comparing the Wisconsin/Minnesota game to Ohio St/Michigan. Wisconsin/Minnesota is never going to be a top-rated game. That's not the comparison. The comparison is between Wisconsin/Minnesota with a title race, and Wisconsin/Minnesota without a title race. The former simply gets better ratings, and that's a fact. Now again, this goes back to the fact that networks have paid for ALL of these games. They can't just throw Wisconsin/Minnesota to the side, because they have invested money in it. They have to maximize their return.

It also goes back to another point you missed. Pitt can only play so many games against Florida St. The majority of Pitt's schedule is Duke and Virginia. ESPN, can't rob Peter to pay Paul. They can't bet the whole farm on Florida St/Pitt, and then expect that game to make up for Pitt/Duke-type games during the rest of the year. There aren't enough marquee games like that to make up the difference for one. In addition, Florida St/Pitt still isn't going to draw big ratings itself. That game does not fall into your Alabama/Georgia or Auburn/Florida category either. So again, it makes no sense for ESPN to go all in on that type of game, and then get no payoff on the rest of Pitt's schedule. From a financial standpoint, it's much more lucrative to make money off the entire conference, rather than just the few big name teams. The ratings and the TV contracts bear me out.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
What television wants is irrelevant to the discussion about divisions. Divisions exist because of an NCAA rule that says conferences can only stage a championship game if the conference has two divisions, teams play every member of their division, and the winners of each division face each other in the championship game.

The ACC and Big 12 have already petitioned the NCAA to deregulate the championship rules. The NCAA is an organization comprised of member institutions, so if the ACC and Big 12 get enough support from other conferences we could certainly see deregulation happen. That would open the possibility for dozens of regular season conference formats.

Again, you completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I never said that TV would prohibit the NCAA making a rules change. What I'm telling you is that even if the rule is changed, the ACC still won't scrap the divisions. The ACC won't do that because TV prefers the divisions. That is completely relevant. If ESPN says, "We will give you more money for divisions," then the ACC will have divisions. You can take that to the bank.

You also misunderstand something else. I never said that the divisions were created because of TV. What happened is that the SEC (and then other conferences) switched to divisions because they got more money from the networks by having divisions. That's 100% true. People think the conferences did it just to get a championship game, and they are flat wrong. The championship game by itself doesn't bring in that much extra money. It's part of the regular TV contract. Even with elevated ticket prices, the game doesn't generate all that much more than they typical regular season game. You have a limited number of seats, an individual will only by X number of concessions, and so forth. The real money in a CCG is that it allows you to split into divisions, and thus involve double the number of teams in the title race. No other format does that, because no other format offers a guaranteed shot at the title, like winning your division does.

A nole put together a similar concept. It solves the major problem with having more rotation.. and that is to have divisional winners.. but it creates a concept that most ACC fans would not understand.. and no one on the outside would know.. but does that even matter? The schedules as they are now suck.. FSU should not play Cuse, Wake, and BC EVERY year..

btw..

I dont think GT vs Duke means anything to anyone. Why do people identify it as a game that MUST be protected? I think GT/VT is better when you call it the Techmo Bowl.. always good games too

I would drop that GT/Duke game... GT should play Clemson, FSU, VT every year.

I like the 3 rivals plus 5 rotating model.

UNC - NCSt/Duke/UVA
FSU - Miami/Clemson/GT
Clemson - FSU/GT/NCSt
NCSt - UNC/Clemson/Wake
GT - FSU/Clemson/VT
VT - UVA/GT/Louisville
UVA - VT/UNC/Duke
Louisville - Pitt/Cuse/VT
Miami - FSU/BC
Pitt - Louisville/BC/Cuse
BC - Miami/Pitt/Cuse
Duke - UNC/Wake/UVA
Wake - NCSt/Duke/Cuse
Cuse - BC/Pitt/Louisville

too lazy to figure out where I screwed up with Miami.. anyway. While the three are important you will still see every other team every other year.

Also, if your three teams look too easy then the 10 other teams will be harder so your 5 rotation games will provide a lot of balance.

ie Pitt would hate their three but half the other would be good..

year 1 - 3(Louisville, BC, Cuse)+5(UNC,Clemson, Miami, Duke, GT)
Year 2 - 3(Louisville, BC, Cuse)+5(FSU, NC St, VT, UVA, Wake))

Those are both good schedules. The same would be said for a team with three hard rivals, ie FSU

Year 1 - 3(Miami, GT, Clemson)+5(UNC, VT, Cuse, Duke, Pitt)
Year 2 - 3(Miami, GT, Clemson)+5(NCSt, UVA, Louisville, BC, Wake)

Pitt and FSU have comparable difficulty when looking at all 8 games.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Again, you completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I never said that TV would prohibit the NCAA making a rules change. What I'm telling you is that even if the rule is changed, the ACC still won't scrap the divisions. The ACC won't do that because TV prefers the divisions. That is completely relevant. If ESPN says, "We will give you more money for divisions," then the ACC will have divisions. You can take that to the bank.

You also misunderstand something else. I never said that the divisions were created because of TV. What happened is that the SEC (and then other conferences) switched to divisions because they got more money from the networks by having divisions. That's 100% true. People think the conferences did it just to get a championship game, and they are flat wrong. The championship game by itself doesn't bring in that much extra money. It's part of the regular TV contract. Even with elevated ticket prices, the game doesn't generate all that much more than they typical regular season game. You have a limited number of seats, an individual will only by X number of concessions, and so forth. The real money in a CCG is that it allows you to split into divisions, and thus involve double the number of teams in the title race. No other format does that, because no other format offers a guaranteed shot at the title, like winning your division does.
In addition to assuming that what has been in recent years and seems right now to be what every sports exec assumes is the only way to go will last forever. It won't last forever. There will be a league that makes the case that what makes its football more valuable is variety in scheduling, which means no divisions. And there will be an executive who agrees. Abnd things will change.

You also fail to understand that divisons are largelt arbitrary. The NCAA rule, which was created as an excuse to have a large small time conference, was always about having a CCG. The SEC went to 12 nd created divisions in order to play a CCG.

Division races in and of themselves mean absolutely zilch to the vast majority of fans. That goes at least double for the ACC because our divsions do not, and can never, reflect a natural geographic split. Outside ACC football fans, very few people know for certain who is in which division. Sports writers and broadcasters routinely joke about not knowing who is in which division.

Are most ESPN execus stupid enough from the day to day reality to know that? Perhaps. TV exuxcs are often way behind, and often so driven by ideology that they fail to see what is in front of their noses (Such as the CBS Saturday Night Massacre, killing all its rural based shows, all of which were 'hits', which failed miserably in terms of viewers, which led to The Waltons getting on the air as a series, which was the biggest CBS drama of the decade).

At some point, there is going to be the first major conference to play with no divisions. It is going to happen. The matter is when and which league. The ACC is the perfect guinea pig because we are the one without naturally geographic divisions. ACC fotballl, becuase we cannot have divisons that make obvious sense to fans and broadcasters, needs to stand out and do it differently, becaus erthat is how we set ourselves apart and thus maximize our value.

ACC football can NEVER [/I]have division races that excite general fans. Never. The best we get from doing it is even more direct comparison to the SEC, which means general CFB fans see us as a weak imitation of the SEC.

Someday an ESPN executive will be encouraging the ACC to be original. In fact, my guess is that it has already happened. ESPN execs knopw that variety is the spice of life. And ESPN has SEC football too. So ESPN wins by having the SEC play divisions and the ACC not play with divisions. ESPN would then talk up the differences. ESPN would get both, until such time as the SEC scraps its divisions, which would be within 5 years of the ACC doing it.

And the year after no P5 has divisions, it will be nearly unanomous that the no divisions route is better for all concerned.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

In addition to assuming that what has been in recent years and seems right now to be what every sports exec assumes is the only way to go will last forever. It won't last forever. There will be a league that makes the case that what makes its football more valuable is variety in scheduling, which means no divisions. And there will be an executive who agrees. Abnd things will change.

The problem is, you are assuming it will change just for the sake of change. That's not the reason. The networks are only going to change if it brings them more money. Just because some league wants to try out a new idea doesn't mean the new idea will be profitable. Money is and always has been the driving factor. Right now, the money is in divisions.

You also fail to understand that divisons are largelt arbitrary. The NCAA rule, which was created as an excuse to have a large small time conference, was always about having a CCG. The SEC went to 12 nd created divisions in order to play a CCG.

No I completely understand that. I explained that earlier. By the way, you are wrong about the SEC. They didn't go to divisions only to play a CCG. They did it because having divisions made them more money on their TV contract. The CCG itself is simply not the money maker you claim it to be. Let's take the SEC. They play the CCG in the Georgia Dome, which holds around 70,000 people. Let's say the tickets cost $100 each. That's $7 million dollars. Let's round that up to account for concessions, parking, and everything else, to $10 million. Now, divide that 15 ways. It comes out to about $67,000 for each team. Now compare that to the roughly $20 million each team receives from the TV contract. How is the championship game pulling in the kind of money to justify its existence? It's not from the TV contract either. The SEC title game drew a 7.8 last year. That's nowhere near the 15.2 the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl pulled, nor is it anywhere what the other BCS games typically draw. The point being, just the CCG by itself isn't going to generate these large TV contracts, because the networks won't make enough money off just that one game. Keep in mind that the SEC game is on CBS, so ESPN, which pays the SEC about $150 million a year, isn't even getting the CCG. CBS, with the CCG and the Tier 1 games, pays about $55 million a year. That shows a couple of things. 1) The CCG isn't as valuable as most people thing. 2) The "big name" matchups aren't the be-all, end-all that you make them out to be. ESPN's contract is nearly triple CBS's, yet CBS gets the biggest name games.

Division races in and of themselves mean absolutely zilch to the vast majority of fans. That goes at least double for the ACC because our divsions do not, and can never, reflect a natural geographic split. Outside ACC football fans, very few people know for certain who is in which division. Sports writers and broadcasters routinely joke about not knowing who is in which division.

The problem is, you are making a straw man argument. I have never said that an ACC division race is going to be a big ratings game outside of ACC territory. (Heck, even inside it.) You keep throwing up that argument, and I've never made it. I have never said that a game like Pitt/Virginia will ever come close to matching an Auburn/Alabama game. Never even tried to say that.

This is the point you keep ignoring. You have to play these games EITHER WAY. For example, let's take the game of Pitt vs Virginia. Both are mediocre programs, and nobody outside of the ACC (or really their fan bases) cares about those teams. They aren't going to get great ratings either way. However, as I said, you HAVE to play that game. Pitt can't play Florida St or Clemson every week. Most weeks, Pitt has to play somebody like Virginia. The point being, which game will make more money, Pitt/Virginia in a division race, or Pitt/Virginia playing for nothing? The answer is obviously the former.

The argument is not about making an ACC division race some big national draw. It never will be. The point is, ESPN has to do SOMETHING to make a Pitt/Virginia game as attractive as it can. The reason is, ESPN has invested in those games. As I told you, it's not like the old days, where the networks only bid on the marquee games. The networks have now bid on everything, and thus they have to make money on everything.

Are most ESPN execus stupid enough from the day to day reality to know that? Perhaps. TV exuxcs are often way behind, and often so driven by ideology that they fail to see what is in front of their noses (Such as the CBS Saturday Night Massacre, killing all its rural based shows, all of which were 'hits', which failed miserably in terms of viewers, which led to The Waltons getting on the air as a series, which was the biggest CBS drama of the decade).

At some point, there is going to be the first major conference to play with no divisions. It is going to happen. The matter is when and which league. The ACC is the perfect guinea pig because we are the one without naturally geographic divisions. ACC fotballl, becuase we cannot have divisons that make obvious sense to fans and broadcasters, needs to stand out and do it differently, becaus erthat is how we set ourselves apart and thus maximize our value.

That's already happened. That's how college football used to be. It was in fact, almost exactly like that, just without the CCG. As I demonstrated earlier, the CCGs in and of themselves are not big moneymakers. You said that I'm not looking to the future, but what you are doing is actually looking to the past. As I have told you, the TV market does not work the way you describe it. The days when the goal was to simply get marquee matchups (Alabama/Auburn, Ohio St/Michigan) have already come and gone. The ratings and the contracts are proof of that. The networks simply cannot rely on the marquee games, because they have paid for all the games. They have to get money out of all the games, not just the big ones, or they won't make a return on their investment.

ACC football can NEVER [/I]have division races that excite general fans. Never. The best we get from doing it is even more direct comparison to the SEC, which means general CFB fans see us as a weak imitation of the SEC.

Again, you are arguing against something I never said. Even the SEC doesn't command national interest in its title races. They do when it's a big name team like Alabama or LSU, but even the ACC can do that with Florida St or Miami. When the division race comes down to Missouri/Tennessee/South Carolina or something like that, even the SEC won't command national interest. That's not the point, and that's not even what ESPN tries to do. ESPN simply tries to maximize something like a Missouri/Tennessee matchup best it can. For example, let's say the Missouri/Tennessee game draws a 0.8 without a division race, but draws a 1.5 with a division race. Which is ESPN going to choose? That's the point. ESPN can't let these other games just be dead weight.

Someday an ESPN executive will be encouraging the ACC to be original. In fact, my guess is that it has already happened. ESPN execs knopw that variety is the spice of life. And ESPN has SEC football too. So ESPN wins by having the SEC play divisions and the ACC not play with divisions. ESPN would then talk up the differences. ESPN would get both, until such time as the SEC scraps its divisions, which would be within 5 years of the ACC doing it.

And the year after no P5 has divisions, it will be nearly unanomous that the no divisions route is better for all concerned.

"Variety is the spice of life" is just a platitude. As I pointed out, Pitt vs NC State is not going to do any better for the league, or the TV ratings, than Pitt vs Virginia. That's you can't just make a blanket statement like, "Variety is the spice of life." You have to look at what the actual "variety" is going to be. Pitt vs Virginia in a division race will outdraw Pitt vs NC State playing for nothing. You can't compare Pitt/Virginia to Auburn/Alabama. You have to make an apples to apples comparison. The underlying problem is that you are arguing from theory, and I'm arguing based on what's actually happening in the market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT