ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone with new music?

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
I recently came across this group Lake park Drive which I enjoy. Here’s their cover of white rabbit. This girl fuking kills it.

Last edited:
Another discovery for me is “Big Something”. I suspect they consume hallucinagenic substances frequently. Here is their cover of “Godzilla”. A song I’ve always loved.

And finally “the floozies” a duo unlike most anything I’ve seen. Once again hallucinagenics seem to be involved esp in the audience but lots of fun.

my version of “new music” is finding stuff that’s from different artists, chris cornell covers, or new records, like the new foos.

i stumbled upon probot which isn’t new, but it’s new to me...it’s pretty fuggin good.

Which is ironic since it was clearly written by someone on drugs.

5206.jpg

Reactions: heelmanwilm
my version of “new music” is finding stuff that’s from different artists, chris cornell covers, or new records, like the new foos.

i stumbled upon probot which isn’t new, but it’s new to me...it’s pretty fuggin good.

My son loves probot. His band plays similar style. I like it as well but after 3 songs I’m exhausted. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: gteeitup
I would like his music more if someone showed him how to write a hook and make a beat.

The attempt to troll notwithstanding I just don’t like rap. I appreciate and respect the talent of the artists but I really can’t think of one single rap song I enjoy. Well maybe some beastie boys if thats considered rap.

Reactions: tarheelinfl
The attempt to troll notwithstanding I just don’t like rap. I appreciate and respect the talent of the artists but I really can’t think of one single rap song I enjoy. Well maybe some beastie boys if thats considered rap.

Beastie Boys are absolutely considered rap.

I grew up mostly on rap as it exploded into the mainstream (see, white people) in the 90s. Today's rap is, get off my lawn, absolute garbage. It's funny to see these young kids on YouTube hearing 90s rap for the first time and admitting it's 1000x better than their generation's music.

Tom is actually pretty sincere in his beliefs. I know @gunslingerdick and @Terror Beard are really big fans and would probably agree with me.

Reactions: gunslingerdick

I grew up mostly on rap as it exploded into the mainstream (see, white people) in the 90s. Today's rap is, get off my lawn, absolute garbage. It's funny to see these young kids on YouTube hearing 90s rap for the first time and admitting it's 1000x better than their generation's music.
Today's rap is fine as long as you're looking in the right spot. Plenty of good artists out there. You just need to go past the crap that gets airplay.

Hearing good live music is something I didn't appreciated enough til all the shutdowns.

We had Eagles tickets before the shut down and I'm PISSED we couldn't knock them off the bucket list. Past 7-8 years or so we had really gotten into making sure we saw older artists before they stopped touring (or died 😬).

So far we've seen McCartney, Stones, Phil Collins, Bruce, Billy Joel, Petty before he died, Fleetwood Mac, and a few others. Hope the Eagles resume the US Tour later this year.

Post some rap you like

We had Eagles tickets before the shut down and I'm PISSED we couldn't knock them off the bucket list. Past 7-8 years or so we had really gotten into making sure we saw older artists before they stopped touring (or died 😬).

So far we've seen McCartney, Stones, Phil Collins, Bruce, Billy Joel, Petty before he died, Fleetwood Mac, and a few others. Hope the Eagles resume the US Tour later this year.
Seeing Petty after he died just wouldn't have been as much fun, amirite? ;)

Post some rap you like

I'm sure this will get some hate because I like super commerical rap. If you're looking for more obscure stuff, others will be better at this.

- Eminem's first 3 albums are incredible (Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show). Some samplings:

My favorites from each album but all 3 full albums are really worth a listen.

- Jay-Z Blueprint is a classic.

- Biggie's more commerical stuff is still classic

- Snoop's first album is great

I've never really understood the appeal of these bands that are way past their prime and have maybe one original member. The Eagles seem desperate. I love the Stones, but I recently saw "Havana Nights"... it was depressing.

Big names I’ve seen; who, stones, Bruce, ZZ Top, Van Halen, police, b 52’s, buffet, eagles, Chicago, Elvis Costello, cars

The best? Bruce and it wasn’t even close. Played 3 straight hours with no opening act. Unbelievable energy. And I’m not a big fan of his music. Seeing b-52’s in a frat basement in chapel hill before they hit big was amazing.

The worst? Cars. Horrible, walked out after 3 songs. They looked bored and sounded worse. Van Halen was bad as well. They dgaf and the music was so loud you couldn’t figure out wtf they were playing.

My biggest regret is passing on Talking heads twice.

I've never really understood the appeal of these bands that are way past their prime and have maybe one original member. The Eagles seem desperate. I love the Stones, but I recently saw "Havana Nights"... it was depressing.

Eh, I've found they are hit and miss. Phil Collins looks OLD but sounds great. Stones were meh. Petty was solid. Fleetwood Mac sucked without Lindsey. Billy Joel was great. McCartney was incredible, 3 hours of just hit after hit after hit.

My Delorean is broken so I don't have much other choice. To me it's better than not seeing them.

Eh, I've found they are hit and miss. Phil Collins looks OLD but sounds great. Stones were meh. Petty was solid. Fleetwood Mac sucked without Lindsey. Billy Joel was great. McCartney was incredible, 3 hours of just hit after hit after hit.

My Delorean is broken so I don't have much other choice. To me it's better than not seeing them.
But, you're not really seeing them. You're seeing a remnant.

I love AC/DC. I was lucky to see them as a kid on the For Those About To Rock your. I have older cousins and I would tag along. I got to see The Rolling Stones in 81 and Van Halen Diver Down. I wouldn't go see AC/DC for free now. Angus is bald and 65 years old. It's pathetic. The more these bands perform, the worse it gets. And, it's just a money grab.

But, you're not really seeing them. You're seeing a remnant.

I love AC/DC. I was lucky to see them as a kid on the For Those About To Rock your. I have older cousins and I would tag along. I got to see The Rolling Stones in 81 and Van Halen Diver Down. I wouldn't go see AC/DC for free now. Angus is bald and 65 years old. It's pathetic. The more these bands perform, the worse it gets. And, it's just a money grab.

I get that. But I'll see a remnant over nothing at all because I don't have any other choice.

And as I said, I've had an awesome time at like 80% of these shows so to me it's worth it.

Big names I’ve seen; who, stones, Bruce, ZZ Top, Van Halen, police, b 52’s, buffet, eagles, Chicago, Elvis Costello, cars

The best? Bruce and it wasn’t even close. Played 3 straight hours with no opening act. Unbelievable energy. And I’m not a big fan of his music. Seeing b-52’s in a frat basement in chapel hill before they hit big was amazing.

The worst? Cars. Horrible, walked out after 3 songs. They looked bored and sounded worse. Van Halen was bad as well. They dgaf and the music was so loud you couldn’t figure out wtf they were playing.

My biggest regret is passing on Talking heads twice.
This is a very good list.
I don't know nearly as much about music as others posting here, but I agree seeing B-52s would have to be a great experience. I think they are highly underrated.

I know they are some different genres, and not as much hard rock, but the best shows I can remember are ones where you can actually make out what the musicians are playing and singing.

Billy Joel is always great and is an idol for my 19 yo daughter. We'd love to see him - old age and all - at MSG. He plays at least one night per month in MSG - and has for years, but is sold out far in advance.

I think Mark Knopfler is a brilliant musician, and I've see him solo (sans Dire Straits) a couple times. Just a great guitarist and all-around musical genius.

I like good bluegrass musicians, so Allison Kraus and Union Station - I've really enjoyed their live shows, but more pre-2010, when AK was younger.

And members of her band formed a band formed another bluegrass band called Earls of Leicester, which was / is a play on names of the bluegrass legends they covered songs for - Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt - Flatt and Scruggs. They played in an auditorium in The Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville (which is an awesome must see hall IMO) and used some very old instruments from the hall that Flatt and Scruggs used - very cool!

I saw Sam Bush play in Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, too. Musical talent defies me. I don't understand how his fingers didn't fall off.... he played different stringed instruments so fast and complex for so long. I am amazed at how a person can keep that much complex music in their heads, and play it all from memory, too.

UB40 was a lot of fun to see in concert, too.

U2 I've seen in concert quite a few times. Concerts from Zoo Station and older were quite good. Rattle and Hum, etc.

The U2 stuff after that is so political/preachy and sold out and techno garbage it makes me want to puke. Unlistenable.

Last edited:
Speaking of remnants, Megadeth is coming to Red Hat this summer - july. I liked them almost as much as metallica back in the day.

The best? Bruce
One of the best for sure. I saw Bruce in the Dean Dome (late 80s), and it was great.

The worst? Cars
Was it the 1984 Heartbeat City tour? I saw them in Greensboro that year. It was the first show of the tour and wasn't very good. Music was ok, but they just had no stage presence or connection to the audience at all.

Tom MacDonald’s beats and hooks aren’t great. But it could be ear cancer and I’d still be pushing it because his message in all his songs speaks to me. It’s finally great to have someone who calls out faux wokeism and moronic liberal thinking. Thanks for that Tom.

As for other rap, I tend to stay in the 80s and 90s:

Rakim
KRS-One (BDP)
Run-DMC
3rd Bass
Tribe
De La
Biz
Outkast
LL
Big Pun
Masta Ace
Mobb Deep
Nas
Gang Starr
The Roots
Digital Underground
The Wu
Biggie
Anything Dre touched
Del (the funky homosapian)
Geto Boys
EPMD
Redman
Beasties

Never really cared for Jay, Snoop or Pac.

Most of those were mainstream (as far as rap is concerned). But most newer rap (post 1999) I listen to is going to be underground stuff.

Madchild
Swollen Members
Celph Titled
Apathy
Vinnie Paz
Hopsin
Tech N9ne
Spose
Watsky
7L and Esoteric
Main Flow
Wordsworth