ADVERTISEMENT

Are We Out of Contention for Zaire?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I've seen a few comments from posters here and just checked 247. Only 1 predictor is sticking with his UNC prediction - and his pick was made last year. Slater (Duke) and Meyers (UNC) have both switched to USC.

What happened?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Apparently you should take Jerry Meyers pick to USC for a grain of salt. Wait for Daniels. Also, look for Bryce Thompson to commit sooner rather than later. Lotta bread crumbs on his social media. There was an article from IC today on him regarding his recruitment coming to an end. Again, dunno the details of that but apparently it’s winding down and we’re in good shape

It does seem the ship is starting to leave the dock in regards to Ziaire. Hopefully we can get a quality 3 and a quality 2. We need both, but they do not need to be 5 start, one and done types. Our class is already strong, but we do need 2 wings still.

I want to remind everyone that a senior Platek will be more than adequate as a sharpshooter on the wing. May not have the athleticism of these 5 Stars we’re bringing in now, but he’s not chopped liver either, particularly as a senior who will have been in our system for 4 years. We get so excited about our big time recruits we forget about guys like Platek who will be major contributors as juniors & seniors. Guys like Shamomd Williams & Hubert Davis, etc.

I want to remind everyone that a senior Platek will be more than adequate as a sharpshooter on the wing. May not have the athleticism of these 5 Stars we’re bringing in now, but he’s not chopped liver either, particularly as a senior who will have been in our system for 4 years. We get so excited about our big time recruits we forget about guys like Platek who will be major contributors as juniors & seniors. Guys like Shamomd Williams & Hubert Davis, etc.
Ant isn’t chopped liver either. I would like to add a 3-4 year guy like Puff.

We will just have to agree to disagree regarding Platek. Gary beat that drum all offseason last year. Platek is a good guy to have on the roster for practice purposes and spot minutes in my opinion. If he is getting 15-20 minutes a game, I would be pretty concerned to be honest.

We will just have to agree to disagree regarding Platek. Gary beat that drum all offseason last year. Platek is a good guy to have on the roster for practice purposes and spot minutes in my opinion. If he is getting 15-20 minutes a game, I would be pretty concerned to be honest.

Even though many of this years players say he’s the most improved guy on the team?

My guess is you’ld have said the same thing about Shammond & Hubert after their sophomore years too.

I think your memory of Shammond and Hubert are a little fuzzy if you truly think Platek can be at their level. I'm not trying to knock him, but those guys averaged 16.7 and 21.4 ppg their senior year. Platek won't be anywhere close to that.

Even though many of this years players say he’s the most improved guy on the team?

My guess is you’ld have said the same thing about Shammond & Hubert after their sophomore years too.

I hope I am wrong. But I will believe it when I see it. Shammond and Hubert each averaged 20+ minutes and nearly 10 ppg their sophomore years, so it’s not the best comparison.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I think your memory of Shammond and Hubert are a little fuzzy if you truly think Platek can be at their level. I'm not trying to knock him, but those guys averaged 16.7 and 21.4 ppg their senior year. Platek won't be anywhere close to that.

I agree, I just remember both of those guys kind of came out of nowhere, I’m in the minority but I think Platek can do the same thing, though I agree he won’t put up those numbers. What I do think he can do though, is shoot nearly 50% from 3. I’m going on record that I think Platek makes 40 threes as a senior on 80-90 attempts.

I agree, I just remember both of those guys kind of came out of nowhere, I’m in the minority but I think Platek can do the same thing, though I agree he won’t put up those numbers. What I do think he can do though, is shoot nearly 50% from 3. I’m going on record that I think Platek makes 40 threes as a senior on 80-90 attempts.

Hopefully that’s in Carolina Blue, if not, it probably means we got Bryce.

Reactions: Archer2 and TheGLOV
Where is all this Bryce talk coming from. For all intents and purposes we were out of that recruitment.

The Platek love still amazes me. As others stated I'm fine with him on the roster, and he will have his role. I just do not see him being anywhere near a regular minute contributor at any point.

Yes, what about Daniels??
He hasn’t predicted anything. IOW, nobody knows (including the guys making the Crystal Ball picks). Might be USC, but all the visits to CH means we’re up there too. I wouldn’t give up just yet.

First, concerning Platek, I still recall so many around here saying that if Luke ever started for UNC we would be in a ton of trouble and now I see several saying similar things about Platek.

Platek, by the words of several former players, is our best jump shooter and yet strange that we see posters in this thread bang on the kid? EXAMPLE

"We will just have to agree to disagree regarding Platek. Gary beat that drum all offseason last year. Platek is a good guy to have on the roster for practice purposes and spot minutes in my opinion. If he is getting 15-20 minutes a game, I would be pretty concerned to be honest."...???

I read something like that and have to ask, WTH? The negativity as I read these negative comments concerning Platek strike me as being at least as much about gary being hard on the Platek band wagon than what has been seen from the kid. EXAMPLE

"I think your memory of Shammond and Hubert are a little fuzzy if you truly think Platek can be at their level. I'm not trying to knock him, but those guys averaged 16.7 and 21.4 ppg their senior year. Platek won't be anywhere close to that."

Geez, already knows exactly what Platek is going to average for a season that has not even started? Poster does not even bother to say that is his opinion, he flat out tells us as if the season has already been played? The poster does snot have a clue how Platek will play this coming season but does not seem to know the difference between what may be his opinion and what is fact, anyone telling you how many minutes the kid will play or telling you how many points he will score in a season not yet played and not bothering to even mention that the most he can do is offer an opinion is not someone to listen to.

You want facts about Platek rather than agenda driven bull, try these facts over the fiction I have quoted above:

1) Platek is a 2 guard, limited quickness and lateral movement make it hard to project him as a PG, not impossible but very hard. It becomes more toward impossible when you consider he has played on teams with Joey Berry and Coby and now we have Cole, with Love already in the fold for his senior season. Point being, unless it comes down to extreme injury situation, the need drives it as extremely unlikely Platek ever sees a minute as our PG. Not a shot at gary, just fact that we all know.

2) At the 2, Plateck has spent his first 2 seasons playing behind Kenny Williams, who as I recall many were as well bagging on after his frosh season, but went on to be one of our best leaders, by far our best back court defender and by the opinion of many one of if not the best defensive back court players in the nation. Fantastic senior season from kenny, did so many things on the court, very few would have been able to get much PT at a position that kenny was at. Kenny was at least as valuable on the court for his experience and leadership, with Coby being a freshman, as he was as a defender.

3) Because of that second point, you, me, none of us, has seen what Platek could do as a kid that could rely on getting solid PT. Stop telling me what you know Platek would do with regular rotation minutes when you have not seen it yet. Fine if you want to share what YOUR OPINION is, not fine when you pose it as fact something that you could not know.

4) Multiple players have shared that Platek, in their opinion was the best jump shooter we had, Cam Johnson being just 1. Now if Cam says that Platek was our best jump shooter while Cam was on our roster, I am going to listen to that as fact from a guy that knows a heck of a lot more than a poster here, myself included.

5) PLatek is a 2 guard and PT is going to be really tuff this coming season. yes, Kenny has now graduated but we have a LOT of talent at the 2. Keeling is the expected starter, Ant harris is also there and even thou Ant is coming off a knee injury which seems to have muted the excitement about him, we have a big timer in him but need to see how far his recovery has come before we can see how he will play this season, usually is the second season after a knee before the real player shows back up. WE are going to need Leaky and BRob to spent a lot of time at the 3 but both seem to fit the 2 spot more either by preference or by what they have so far shown us on the court.

So PT is not going to be easy for Platek to come by but we all know Roy finds minutes for his experienced players, Platek has now had 2yrs of experience playing for Roy and word is the guy has lived in the gym grinding to get ready to claim as much time as he can get.

6) WE lost MOST of our outside shooting fire power after last season and we are going to need a knock down jump shooter or 2 to step up as a counter balance for Cole driving, someone to take the kick back from Cole and drain it at a high clip, not a bad role for your best jump shooter. Ant is more of a driver slasher scorer, keeling (my opinion) is more a mid range guy that likes to slash as well, who knows if BRob will be a knock down jump shooter, he showed more of that last season but will he be more as a focus by opposing defenses this coming season because he did knock down big shots last season?

7) Platek simply has not played big minutes for us so saying you know what he will do when he maybe gets more minutes is BS, just as it was BS when shared how bad we would be if Luke ever started for us. I am not going to state this next line as fact, will state it as opinion based on whispers I have heard. As all good coaches do, Roy in reflecting back over last season, was disappointed that he did not find Platek more PT and will actively look to get the kid more minutes early this season to see if he can get in to a groove like he did in practice last season and the kid's off season work has not lessened that at all.

Now the above points are facts, facts you have all seen, they are not agenda driven opinion, they are not based on my like or dislike for a poster, they are balanced and even handed. The negative commentary I quoted above are not statement of facts, they are nothing more than opinions posing as fact. It is my absolute opinion these negative comments on PLatek has much more to do with posters looking to spin negative toward gary's opinion than anything based on real facts, they are IMO agenda driven comments and I do not find it appropriate to bag on one of our players simply because you do not like a poster here that believes in a kid more than you do.

#animalhousereference

I do think Bryce is very seriously considering UNC. Roy has personally put in a lot of time recruiting him. It may pay off yet.

Lot going on with Bryce arch, I do think OKy St is a player because I do think Bryce would love to play with CC. But here is the thing, Coach Rob is very solid with the kid and his family (long standing relationship there, pops played for Steve), I think for the very first time, Roy actually had 1 of his assistants make the offer to the kid rather than Roy himself. For Roy to do that should tell every one just how close Coach Rob is with that family. Frankly, I will take that family connection with coach Rob over any other aspect, distance may be the one concern.

Consider after this season, Keeling and Brob gone, Platek would not be seen as a major road block to potential PT and we have not yet got a commit from another 2 guard in this recruiting class. The kid seems to be on a short time line to make his decision so does not seem as if Ant or Jeremiah are factors in his decision (if they were he would be looking at us more as a spring time decision rather one coming in the near future because he would want to see how Ant, Platek, or maybe Jeremiah actually play if they were road blocks to his freshman PT. To me that swings the door wide open for a 2 guard to step in to major PT if he is looking to make a decision soon and that is the way it seems right now.

So we have that close relationship combined with what looks for now like a wide open door to PT, combined with the fact that UNC is both a blue blood of the sport as well as in the discussion every season as a potential Natty team. WE have a LOT of factors that look good for us. Disclaimer, Green elected to commit to Arizona even with them under the FBI/NCAA spotlight because of a girl, does a similar thing happen with Bryce?

I love the kid's game, strikes me as a Wayne Ellington with better ball handles, so let's see how this works out.

Solid post above David.
My OPINIONS:
As to players, many of our posters seem to disregard BRob. Well, black and white facts say BRob has been good for us from a numbers/production standpoint considering his PT last season. His shooting %'s are very good from last season. Big enough to go get rebounds.
Some forgot he was pretty highly regarded coming out of Douglasville.
Some seem to get locked on kids they like. I get that, heck KJ is a heck of a player in his own right but is in a tough spot re PT. So is Shea Rush, solid player but is where he is due to personnel.
As to Andrew, another solid player without the PT some have received. I'll give a junior some PT at the 2 as he knows what Roy expects.
And as to our grad transfers, sure Keeling is good, but don't forget Pierce. Pierce's stats are sure curious, while he is a pretty good shooter, not great, his numbers "slashing" or driving and finishing at the rim are very good. He could cover 2 but is really a 3. Besides, he is closer to 6'7" and Keeling at 6'3". Keeling will help us cover at the 2.
We have spots covered and players to help the Tar Heels win.
But then, that is MY opinion.

I would take Bryce all day, but remember there could be another kid that may come in since Mr. Love committed, and Mando, Cole and Sterling all want him. :cool:

As to that original question, we are very much in it for ZW.

Solid post David.
My OPINIONS:
As to players, many of our posters seem to disregard BRob. Well, black and white facts say BRob has been good for us from a numbers/production standpoint considering his PT last season. His shooting %'s are very good from last season. Big enough to go get rebounds.
Some forgot he was pretty highly regarded coming out of Douglasville.
Some seem to get locked on kids they like. I get that, heck KJ is a heck of a player in his own right but is in a tough spot re PT. So is Shea Rush, solid player but is where he is due to personnel.
As to Andrew, another solid player without the PT some have received. I'll give a junior some PT at the 2 as he knows what Roy expects.
And as to our grad transfers, sure Keeling is good, but don't forget Pierce. Pierce's stats are sure curious, while he is a pretty good shooter, not great, his numbers "slashing" or driving and finishing at the rim are very good. He could cover 2 but is really a 3. Besides, he is closer to 6'7" and Keeling at 6'3". Keeling will help us cover at the 2.
We have spots covered and players to help the Tar Heels win.
But then, that is MY opinion.

Yeah Tom, I agree with most of that and I appreciate that you made sure your words were opinion rather than fact. The one thing I would some what disagree on is Brob. Kid is listed right now as 6'5" and 173lbs, he is much longer than his listed height however. I get concerned with his slight frame being at the wing, I think he fits us better at the 2 but need IMO, agrees with you that he wil have to give us time at the wing along with Leaky.

As my buddy likes to say, here is the fly in the butter milk, Pierce. To me, I like Pierce as a 3 much more than a 4 but need drives that we need someone to back up Brooks at the 4 and I see only 2 guys as candidates for that role, Pierce who is a bit undersized and Walker Miller who simply has not played much (I am not expecting much from Manley due to those knee issues). I think most would quickly pick Pierce as our back up 4, I may not be as quick to but I feel better about what i think Walker can do than most but easy say Pierce gets first shot at that role. If Pierce does become our best power forward back up option, then that IMO drives BRob more at the 3 along with leaky because the 2 spot is more crowded with very interesting talent. IMO, a starting position is Leaky and BRob's to lose but it could come down to one of those guys having to battle the other for starting minutes if keeling does what it looks like he may, lock down the starting 2 spot. How much does Ant give us, how about Platek, are questions that need to be answered before we see if BRob spends more time at the 3 or the 2 (I think he is more a 2 than 3 and I see Leaky as a wonderful facilitating wing 3).

Note, a rotation that COULD be interesting is Leaky at the 4, with Pierce at the 3 and BRob at the 2 With Brooks or Bacot at the 5, Cole at the point of course. That is a bit of a small ball look with exceptional middle position length, Roy likes to play small ball with a long and/or sweet shooting wing playing the 4 (see Cam, Justin, Theo (Theo being more a facilitating 3/4 but could easily get above the rim).

Platek is awful. Should be playing at a mid major program. He’s overmatched physically and skill wise every time he’s on the floor. Plays hard and seems like a really good kid but I honestly don’t understand why Roy gives him even a few minutes a game. I would be more than happy if he improves and proves me wrong though.

Interesting observations by all.

I agree we’re still very much in it with at least three recruits, will have to see how it plays out. IMO, Bryce May be the best fit in terms of need.

Pierce, by necessity, may indeed have to play some PF in relief of Brooks. And I think we will see that he is more of the outside shooter that we saw his soph year than last year when recovering from a broken hand. Leaky was raving about his marksmanship.

BRob will either start or play major minutes off the bench filling in at both wing spots.

not sure who will backup Cole, who I expect to log heavy minutes(30+ per game) out of necessity. Whether KJ can handle it or Leaky has to will obviously determine how much time Leaky spends at SF. Like Dave, I see his skill set as being perfectly suited for the facilitating SF role Theo played so effectively.

I am intrigued by Walker and Huff, both are going to contribute this year in limited roles, Walker at Pf and Huff backing up Mando. I’m also confident Andrew can give us a few quality minutes at SG.

going to take time to gel, but we have the requisite pieces and a HOF coach. Gonna be a great ride.

If Platek or any other player grows into a solid player earning playing time I a am very happy. I have been one to think he will have a very limited role, which can still be a a very positive thing for the team. I wish him well, and also think he will do all he can to improve, so I'm rooting for him.

I find it interesting that many point to hoping that some of the "star" talents are willing to adjust to different scoring roles, or non ideal positions for the makeup of the team. I agree this is very important. I think Roy very badly wants to add impact players at the 2 guard for next season. I hope he is successful, and I think this will leave Andrew with a choice of keeping his practice and sparse minutes role or entering the transfer portal in search of playing time at the D1 level.

Geez, already knows exactly what Platek is going to average for a season that has not even started? Poster does not even bother to say that is his opinion, he flat out tells us as if the season has already been played?
First off, tag me if you're going to call me out. Don't try to be a puss about it. The reason I didn't say it was opinion is because it's obviously an opinion, IMO. Just like 95% of the posts on this board. Saying IMO before every post isn't necessary, IMO. Your passive aggressiveness and need to act superior is tiring and pathetic. That's just a fact, IMO.

"I think your memory of Shammond and Hubert are a little fuzzy if you truly think Platek can be at their level. I'm not trying to knock him, but those guys averaged 16.7 and 21.4 ppg their senior year. Platek won't be anywhere close to that."
IMO, Platek doesn't resemble their ability in any way. IMO, he hasn't shown anything so far for me to think he will become anything like two of the best shooters that UNC has ever had. IMO, even if he had that level of talent it's doubtful he will get enough playing time to put up those numbers. That is in no way shape or form me talking crap about a player. I'm just simply saying two all time great UNC shooters are better, IMO in case you forgot.

As far as Gary having anything to do with my opinion on Platek, that's just stupid. I don't give a shit about his opinion on Platek. In fact, I don't give a shit about anyone's opinion on Platek. I can form my own opinion and speak for myself.

Reactions: dadika13
Lot going on with Bryce arch, I do think OKy St is a player because I do think Bryce would love to play with CC. But here is the thing, Coach Rob is very solid with the kid and his family (long standing relationship there, pops played for Steve), I think for the very first time, Roy actually had 1 of his assistants make the offer to the kid rather than Roy himself. For Roy to do that should tell every one just how close Coach Rob is with that family. Frankly, I will take that family connection with coach Rob over any other aspect, distance may be the one concern.

Consider after this season, Keeling and Brob gone, Platek would not be seen as a major road block to potential PT and we have not yet got a commit from another 2 guard in this recruiting class. The kid seems to be on a short time line to make his decision so does not seem as if Ant or Jeremiah are factors in his decision (if they were he would be looking at us more as a spring time decision rather one coming in the near future because he would want to see how Ant, Platek, or maybe Jeremiah actually play if they were road blocks to his freshman PT. To me that swings the door wide open for a 2 guard to step in to major PT if he is looking to make a decision soon and that is the way it seems right now.

So we have that close relationship combined with what looks for now like a wide open door to PT, combined with the fact that UNC is both a blue blood of the sport as well as in the discussion every season as a potential Natty team. WE have a LOT of factors that look good for us. Disclaimer, Green elected to commit to Arizona even with them under the FBI/NCAA spotlight because of a girl, does a similar thing happen with Bryce?

I love the kid's game, strikes me as a Wayne Ellington with better ball handles, so let's see how this works out.

One would have to think that Ok St. is not the real concern in this recruitment. We need to remember that they are due a rectal exam by the NCAA. I feel fairly sure the Thompson's are aware of this as well. Most likely, would not affect next season, seeing how slow the NCAA is in getting their investigations vetted, however, it may very well affect seasons following next year. At this point, Bryce is not considered a one year player. Although that can change as we have seen( re:) Coby.

Reactions: RGStephens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT